UC Hastings Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby lisavj » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Also confirmed if you are top four in your section (see rank email) you can list HLJ bc you are auto on per the write on packet public on the website)

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I made it!

User avatar
reasonable troll
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby reasonable troll » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm

ilovesf wrote:I made it!


congrats, colleague!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I made it!


congrats, colleague!

Congrats to you too!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:56 pm

DildaMan wrote:Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|

Sorry dude :( congrats on the secondaries though! Do you know which one you'll accept?

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Communication, Business, or Science.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby kapital98 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:00 am

DildaMan wrote:Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|


Same here. I made the Business and Poverty & Race journals. I temporarily believed I made HLJ because the Business journal is the first journal shown in the PDF and has a similar name.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby Lasers » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 am

Made HLJ which i'm super happy about...but im probably transferring.

Feel sad im probably leaving behind a cool experience like journal. :(

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 am

Enjoy floor 23, everyone.

For those of you who didn't make HLJ (I didn't either, womp womp), feel free to PM me if you want insight into the secondaries. Although they can change dramatically year-to-year due to the Board, there are some constants.

And don't worry, not making HLJ isn't the end of the world. I know plenty of people (relatively speaking) on secondaries with great things lined up and plenty of people on HLJ without anything.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 am

Lasers wrote:Made HLJ which i'm super happy about...but im probably transferring.

Feel sad im probably leaving behind a cool experience like journal. :(

What tipped you over to transferring?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 am

kapital98 wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|


Same here. I made the Business and Poverty & Race journals. I temporarily believed I made HLJ because the Business journal is the first journal shown in the PDF and has a similar name.

Congrats on the journals! Do you know which one you're picking? Race & Poverty sounds really interesting.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby lisavj » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 am

Was good hanging with y'alls. Headed out the door to the Berks forums - keep Hastings in shape k? :)

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby kapital98 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:59 am

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|


Same here. I made the Business and Poverty & Race journals. I temporarily believed I made HLJ because the Business journal is the first journal shown in the PDF and has a similar name.

Congrats on the journals! Do you know which one you're picking? Race & Poverty sounds really interesting.


Do you know when firms get back to students regarding OCI bids?

I'm planning on using the Business journal on my OCI applications and then switching to Race & Poverty if I don't get any interviews (a distinct possibility.) I harp about my interest in business in my cover letters. I feel it would be consistent to also have the Business journal on my resume. However, if that falls through then I'm definitely going PI and would rather do Race & Poverty.

I also feel the type of people who do each journal will be very different. LEOP dominates the Race & Poverty journal. I had the incoming editor-in-chief as a TA for immigration. I'm slightly afraid the Business journal will be more 'bro/fraternity' dominated. Like college.

User avatar
reasonable troll
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby reasonable troll » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm

someone should confirm this, but i think CSO told me August 1st?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:58 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Email is out. Made all the secondaries but struck out on HLJ. :|


Same here. I made the Business and Poverty & Race journals. I temporarily believed I made HLJ because the Business journal is the first journal shown in the PDF and has a similar name.

Congrats on the journals! Do you know which one you're picking? Race & Poverty sounds really interesting.


Do you know when firms get back to students regarding OCI bids?

I'm planning on using the Business journal on my OCI applications and then switching to Race & Poverty if I don't get any interviews (a distinct possibility.) I harp about my interest in business in my cover letters. I feel it would be consistent to also have the Business journal on my resume. However, if that falls through then I'm definitely going PI and would rather do Race & Poverty.

I also feel the type of people who do each journal will be very different. LEOP dominates the Race & Poverty journal. I had the incoming editor-in-chief as a TA for immigration. I'm slightly afraid the Business journal will be more 'bro/fraternity' dominated. Like college.

I also heard that Business journal is more bro, but there aren't tons of bros at Hastings, so it can't be that bad. I definitely think Race & Poverty sounds more interesting, at least to me. I think we find out about interviews on August 1st like troll said, so it will be a big timing issue. Knowing Hastings, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out our interviews at like 11:59pm.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby DildaMan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:41 am

ilovesf wrote:I also heard that Business journal is more bro, but there aren't tons of bros at Hastings, so it can't be that bad. I definitely think Race & Poverty sounds more interesting, at least to me. I think we find out about interviews on August 1st like troll said, so it will be a big timing issue. Knowing Hastings, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out our interviews at like 11:59pm.


Crap, should have picked business. -_-

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:53 pm

on symplicity when a firm is interviewing for both SF and SV in the same bidding application, should we say if we want SF or SV in the preferred location box? Or just leave it empty? (when the firm doesn't say to indicate it)

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby DildaMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 pm

I indicated the office preference within the Location/Date box, and cover letter if applicable.

lucield
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 am

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby lucield » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:41 pm

question -

did you guys see the email from sarah tigerman about how only one person had bid on orrick sacramento? it's obvious people are choosing sf way more than anything else, thus making it much more competitive. so this leads to my question

do you guys think it's worth choosing firms that have higher cut offs (top 20% versus 30% etc) that have their locations in la/outside sf, versus things that are lower but in sf? i'm inclined to bit on firms outside my range but that aren't in la because i dont think they are receiving many bids and you might get selected even though you are outside the normal range..... opinions?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

lucield wrote:question -

did you guys see the email from sarah tigerman about how only one person had bid on orrick sacramento? it's obvious people are choosing sf way more than anything else, thus making it much more competitive. so this leads to my question

do you guys think it's worth choosing firms that have higher cut offs (top 20% versus 30% etc) that have their locations in la/outside sf, versus things that are lower but in sf? i'm inclined to bit on firms outside my range but that aren't in la because i dont think they are receiving many bids and you might get selected even though you are outside the normal range..... opinions?

If it doesn't say required, why not. If it says required I wouldn't. I have a feeling a lot of people will be bidding today. I still have 3 cover letters to write - ugh.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby DildaMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:
lucield wrote:question -

did you guys see the email from sarah tigerman about how only one person had bid on orrick sacramento? it's obvious people are choosing sf way more than anything else, thus making it much more competitive. so this leads to my question

do you guys think it's worth choosing firms that have higher cut offs (top 20% versus 30% etc) that have their locations in la/outside sf, versus things that are lower but in sf? i'm inclined to bit on firms outside my range but that aren't in la because i dont think they are receiving many bids and you might get selected even though you are outside the normal range..... opinions?

If it doesn't say required, why not. If it says required I wouldn't. I have a feeling a lot of people will be bidding today. I still have 3 cover letters to write - ugh.


Orrick Sacramento was a resume collect if I recall correctly. I bid +/- 5% unless its a reach. Some of the other offices have stricter requirements ( Orrick Sacramento is 15% while SF is 10-25% ).

Oh btw IloveSF, are you enjoying the surprise strike? :P

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lucield wrote:question -

did you guys see the email from sarah tigerman about how only one person had bid on orrick sacramento? it's obvious people are choosing sf way more than anything else, thus making it much more competitive. so this leads to my question

do you guys think it's worth choosing firms that have higher cut offs (top 20% versus 30% etc) that have their locations in la/outside sf, versus things that are lower but in sf? i'm inclined to bit on firms outside my range but that aren't in la because i dont think they are receiving many bids and you might get selected even though you are outside the normal range..... opinions?

If it doesn't say required, why not. If it says required I wouldn't. I have a feeling a lot of people will be bidding today. I still have 3 cover letters to write - ugh.


Orrick Sacramento was a resume collect if I recall correctly. I bid +/- 5% unless its a reach. Some of the other offices have stricter requirements ( Orrick Sacramento is 15% while SF is 10-25% ).

Oh btw IloveSF, are you enjoying the surprise strike? :P

I bid on a couple places that say 10% preferred (I think just 2 or 3) otherwise I stayed in my range. I noticed a couple other differences- like white & case sf is 10% and NYC is 25% - I think I'm gonna do some NYC collects.
And I walk to work - I never have any problems getting around :)

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby kapital98 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I think a lot of people are going to be bidding today too. I placed all of my bids today.

I'm done :)

Now I wait to see which firms get stuck interviewing me because of the lottery system. :twisted:

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby DildaMan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:59 pm

^ Waiting for my lottery Wilmer Hale interview. 3.8 preferred -_-




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests