UC Hastings Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
lucield

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby lucield » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 pm

I probably can't get there until like 6:15. any point going that late?

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Lasers wrote:
lucield wrote:I'm debating it, but Bingham doesn't have its reqs on its profile.... so i have no clue what they are looking for. annoying.

Yah. That's kinda annoying, but its probably like top 20-25% for most of the big firms? Who knows.

Abyway thnkng about going ...im in the city already...

I didn't RSVP ...

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Lasers wrote:
lucield wrote:I'm debating it, but Bingham doesn't have its reqs on its profile.... so i have no clue what they are looking for. annoying.

Yah. That's kinda annoying, but its probably like top 20-25% for most of the big firms? Who knows.

Abyway thnkng about going ...im in the city already...

You should go! Networking practice.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Do you guys think this looks awful for next semester? Tax, Civ Pro 2, Evidence, IP survey, and Appellate Advocacy. So that's 15 credits. Then 1 credit for journal (assuming I get a secondary?) and 1 credit for TA, that's 17. Is that crazy? Should I drop one of the classes and take a seminar? I'm not sure I'm really that interested in any of them.
edit: lol pretty much all the seminars are full except for japanese law and chinese law.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 am

anyone end up going to the bingham event? tons of hastings students.

also 17 units is way too many, imo. i'm taking 12...maybe 15 max.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:42 am

ilovesf wrote:Do you guys think this looks awful for next semester? Tax, Civ Pro 2, Evidence, IP survey, and Appellate Advocacy. So that's 15 credits. Then 1 credit for journal (assuming I get a secondary?) and 1 credit for TA, that's 17. Is that crazy? Should I drop one of the classes and take a seminar? I'm not sure I'm really that interested in any of them.
edit: lol pretty much all the seminars are full except for japanese law and chinese law.

App Ad is grueling. I guarantee you'll spend 6 weeks doing nothing but working on your brief (unless you don't care about the non-GPA grade). I had no idea it was like this. If it's any consolation, I loved it and it was one of my favorite classes. Journal work is really loaded on your second semester when you're writing your note.

You really don't need to take that much of a course load though. I'd drop Tax because...it's tax.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:09 am

hiima3L wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Do you guys think this looks awful for next semester? Tax, Civ Pro 2, Evidence, IP survey, and Appellate Advocacy. So that's 15 credits. Then 1 credit for journal (assuming I get a secondary?) and 1 credit for TA, that's 17. Is that crazy? Should I drop one of the classes and take a seminar? I'm not sure I'm really that interested in any of them.

App Ad is grueling. I guarantee you'll spend 6 weeks doing nothing but working on your brief (unless you don't care about the non-GPA grade). I had no idea it was like this. If it's any consolation, I loved it and it was one of my favorite classes. Journal work is really loaded on your second semester when you're writing your note.

You really don't need to take that much of a course load though. I'd drop Tax because...it's tax.

Thanks for the advice! I had to reorganize my schedule last night because all of the classes were full so I think I went a little crazy. I wanted to take tax because I feel like I keep hearing it's one of the most useful classes you can take in LS, but I'm not really interested in it at all either. I have to take App Ad because I'm doing moot court, otherwise I definitely wouldn't take it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am

Lasers wrote:anyone end up going to the bingham event? tons of hastings students.

Are you not transferring anymore? I went last night, I felt like it was half Hastings students or something. I saw sooo many people from my section. I met some nice people from Bingham, I'm going to send them follow up e-mails today. I think I'll definitely bid on them.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm

So all of evidence is full. Fml. Maybe I'll take business associations. Ugh

lucield

Postby lucield » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:01 pm

right now im taking

1) law of banking and financial institutions with Rosemarie Oda. It looks interesting..... but intense. i might drop it and take data privacy instead. any opinions?

2) IP survey course with Barrett

3)Buss. Assoc. with Cable

4)International Business Transactions with Dodge

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:21 pm

ilovesf wrote:So all of evidence is full. Fml. Maybe I'll take business associations. Ugh

No evidence? :?

Did you get Tax? I'm taking it with Morse.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:23 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:So all of evidence is full. Fml. Maybe I'll take business associations. Ugh

No evidence? :?

Did you get Tax? I'm taking it with Morse.

Haven't signed up yet, I'm at 1. If there's space I'm taking ip, civ pro 2, and tax.. I guess we'll have another class together

lucield

Postby lucield » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm

lol every OCI thread i look at has posts from people saying disregard what simplicity cutoffs say and ask the career services office /dean. awesome.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:anyone end up going to the bingham event? tons of hastings students.

Are you not transferring anymore? I went last night, I felt like it was half Hastings students or something. I saw sooo many people from my section. I met some nice people from Bingham, I'm going to send them follow up e-mails today. I think I'll definitely bid on them.

Not 100% still. If I somehow luck into law review it'll complicate matters further.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:10 am

ilovesf wrote:
hiima3L wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I had to reorganize my schedule last night because all of the classes were full so I think I went a little crazy. I wanted to take tax because I feel like I keep hearing it's one of the most useful classes you can take in LS, but I'm not really interested in it at all either. I have to take App Ad because I'm doing moot court, otherwise I definitely wouldn't take it.

There is really no reason to take tax unless you're going into it or doing something tax-heavy as far as I understand it. Anyway, all of it is so heavy on research that having a background on it probably won't help much. (This is all based on what other people have told me so take that advice as you will!)

Because you're already on moot court, you can kinda slack in App Ad, but don't take that too far. People have been kicked off of competitions due to the way they acted in AA. Also, trust me, taking MC seriously will pay off. Feel free to PM me if you're curious about why.

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Does anyone have a general idea of how much time Law Journal consumes during the semester? I don't know anyone on it to ask and just am curious (should I make it on).

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:24 pm

amissionsix wrote:Does anyone have a general idea of how much time Law Journal consumes during the semester? I don't know anyone on it to ask and just am curious (should I make it on).

The amount of work for journal depends on in order of importance: 1. which journal you're on; 2. how seriously you take it; 3. how seriously the 3Ls will make you take it. It's a LOT more work spring semester because of your Note. But, again, if you don't care about it getting published, you can BS it in a weekend.

It really varies a lot but the long and short of it is it's totally doable albeit a miserable experience.

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm

hiima3L wrote:The amount of work for journal depends on in order of importance: 1. which journal you're on; 2. how seriously you take it; 3. how seriously the 3Ls will make you take it. It's a LOT more work spring semester because of your Note. But, again, if you don't care about it getting published, you can BS it in a weekend.

It really varies a lot but the long and short of it is it's totally doable albeit a miserable experience.

That's good to know. Thanks!

lucield

Postby lucield » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:20 pm

i tried searching this but i couldnt find the answer.. so i thought id ask you guys!

is the concensus for mass mailing a firm that you can only mail one office? or say, can i mail the houston & nyc offices? opinions?

also, i agree with the recommendation for louise. she was good and seemed quite knowledgeable. she ripped up my cover letter and it felt so good to get real advice.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Anyone doing BADCF or SFIPLA?

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 pm

All about the diversity career fair. Of course my mom's response was "you're diverse?!?"

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 pm

I am so vanilla, there's nothing at all about me that sticks out.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm sort of relying on the lack of a Y chromosome...

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 pm

lisavj wrote:I'm sort of relying on the lack of a Y chromosome...

I thought diverse was more than being a woman, at least that's what past people who participated in the fair have told me.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:27 am

The Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) has served as a national leader in efforts to achieve equal opportunity in the legal profession for:
Women
Racial and ethnic minorities
Gay men, lesbians, bisexual and transgendered attorneys
Lawyers with disabilities

First on the list. From BADCF website. http://www.sfbar.org/diversity/index.aspx

Fun fact, as of 2011 women made up 31.9% of us lawyers. http://www.catalyst.org/publication/246 ... -in-the-us

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”