UC Hastings Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ilovesf

Re: UC Hastings Class of 2014

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:05 pm

Soubds like youre going to have a good summer! Working for the gov is pretty fun. I feel badass hanging in the fed building. It's cool, my research is like looking for one specific legal theory that probably doesn't exist, but I really like my judge and my clerks. I'm her only extern so I get a lot of face time. I share an office with three girls from boalt who are with another judge and I really like them. I think I'll write my first official order soon.. So that's exciting!

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:37 pm

ilovesf wrote:Soubds like youre going to have a good summer! Working for the gov is pretty fun. I feel badass hanging in the fed building. It's cool, my research is like looking for one specific legal theory that probably doesn't exist, but I really like my judge and my clerks. I'm her only extern so I get a lot of face time. I share an office with three girls from boalt who are with another judge and I really like them. I think I'll write my first official order soon.. So that's exciting!

That sounds really great! :D

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah it's good so far, three days in. I'm pretty terrified of being slow, sounding stupid, and saying a case should come out differently than my clerk thinks. But that's the way all jobs go I guess. I think later this summer I'll get to work on some cool things like Facebook and stubhub, which will be much more interesting than surviving summary judgment in an equitable estoppel in a debt collection/foreclosure case that I'm researching now.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm trying to figure out my schedule for next year. I'm gonna take Civ Pro 2, I can't decide between Moscato and Marcus. I've heard good things about Marcus, but Moscato gave 7% more As. I haven't heard anything about Moscato though, have you guys heard anything?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 pm

I've only heard bad things about Marcus, but that was from Civ Pro I.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:44 pm

DildaMan wrote:I've only heard bad things about Marcus, but that was from Civ Pro I.

Sweet, I'll def take Moscato now, decision made.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 pm

DildaMan wrote:I heard a research position looks good for OCI. What types of law are you guys planning to practice?

Not sure, thinking litigation. I'm hoping this summer I'll be exposed to a lot of different things and find my calling.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:20 pm

DildaMan wrote:I've only heard bad things about Marcus, but that was from Civ Pro I.

yep; i've heard bad things about marcus as well.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 pm

DildaMan wrote:I heard a research position looks good for OCI. What types of law are you guys planning to practice?

i don't really know or care. i'm interested in business litigation or transactional work but i'm very flexible. i just want a firm to give me a job and i'll do what they want me to do.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Feldman just opened up research positions for IP if any of you are interested. Trying to get in on that. :P

lucield

Postby lucield » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:02 pm

i had marcus this year and got a b+, it honestly isn't bad, it's just that class is frustrating because he doesnt answer anything. i don't think i learned anything until a week before the final at which time i studied non stop for 5 days.

im also doing the RA thing for Feldman if the study is as important as she says it is.... i'm hoping it actually helps for OCI, but i have no clue. opinions?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:26 pm

If nothing else, it gives you something to talk about during OCI.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:40 pm

lucield wrote:i had marcus this year and got a b+, it honestly isn't bad, it's just that class is frustrating because he doesnt answer anything. i don't think i learned anything until a week before the final at which time i studied non stop for 5 days.

im also doing the RA thing for Feldman if the study is as important as she says it is.... i'm hoping it actually helps for OCI, but i have no clue. opinions?

Probably won't help get an interview but if you have grades to get an interview it could be an interesting thing to discuss at the interview or cb

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Ranks are out... Blerg.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Joy. :? Not sure why I'm disappointed other than I just paid $100 for a rejection letter from Stanford. Sad.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:33 pm

holy shit i did even worse than i thought...grade distribution was HIGHER than last year. i don't even...

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Lasers wrote:holy shit i did even worse than i thought...grade distribution was HIGHER than last year. i don't even...

I know, it really sucks. I did several percentage points lower than I thought. Oh well.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:13 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:holy shit i did even worse than i thought...grade distribution was HIGHER than last year. i don't even...

I know, it really sucks. I did several percentage points lower than I thought. Oh well.

i'm definitely screwed now.

not really sure how the distribution was that high considering we had more students than last year, but whatever. goodbye any dreams of getting anything at OCI.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 am

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

i'm definitely screwed now.

not really sure how the distribution was that high considering we had more students than last year, but whatever. goodbye any dreams of getting anything at OCI.

Why I'm opposed to more grade inflation

lucield

Postby lucield » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 am

soooooooo seeing as im also most likely out at oci.... what happens now?

-_-

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm ashamed to even try to get OCI interviews. A lot of admissions people are going to be laughing at my transfer applications.

Lasers, jump ship while you still can.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:07 pm

On a different note:

Why are only 403 students part of the rank? Did ~30 students drop out?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:42 pm

kapital98 wrote:On a different note:

Why are only 403 students part of the rank? Did ~30 students drop out?

Was wondering that too...I guess so? I wasn't aware of more than 1-2 that dropped out from my section...

lucield

Postby lucield » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:35 am

from the legal employment thread people were mentioning this and it made me wonder about if Hastings had this data:

does Hastings collect OCI data from previous years? like what ranked students got offers, etc? that would be insanely helpful, because everything i've read on this forum suggests that required/preferred gpa is mostly just so your firm doesn't look like it has no standards (that being said, if you have a 3.3 don't apply to a v20 obv lol)

my current strategy since i have decent but not good grades is to 1) apply for the bay area diversity career fair - and specifically bid on firms that A) aren't coming to hastings OCI so this is my main shot at them b) bid for reach firms (all firms are reach lawlz) that i could then re-bid at our OCI and not feel too bad about spending a bid on them.

then 2) at hastings OCI target firms that are top regional cali, v100, or firms that supposedly don't care too much about grades(MoFo, etc.) also, if they have interviews for multiple offices, Phil said that i could indicate on my cover letter that i was interested in all offices bc i was really interested in the firm, or something along those lines. (opinions on that being right?). if that isn't true, then i'll interview for the most unattractive office possible, to increase my chances. Phil also said that even though he tells students that, for some reason Hastings students overwhelmingly bid almost exclusively SF, not even Oakland.... also, if a firm is "preferred 25%" according to Phil, that means that they really entertain people down to median (you most likely wouldn't get hired obv) buuuuut you still have a shot at an interview. if it's "required x" you could still get an interview, but it's a lot more risky

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:31 am

lucield wrote:from the legal employment thread people were mentioning this and it made me wonder about if Hastings had this data:

does Hastings collect OCI data from previous years? like what ranked students got offers, etc? that would be insanely helpful, because everything i've read on this forum suggests that required/preferred gpa is mostly just so your firm doesn't look like it has no standards (that being said, if you have a 3.3 don't apply to a v20 obv lol)

my current strategy since i have decent but not good grades is to 1) apply for the bay area diversity career fair - and specifically bid on firms that A) aren't coming to hastings OCI so this is my main shot at them b) bid for reach firms (all firms are reach lawlz) that i could then re-bid at our OCI and not feel too bad about spending a bid on them.

then 2) at hastings OCI target firms that are top regional cali, v100, or firms that supposedly don't care too much about grades(MoFo, etc.) also, if they have interviews for multiple offices, Phil said that i could indicate on my cover letter that i was interested in all offices bc i was really interested in the firm, or something along those lines. (opinions on that being right?). if that isn't true, then i'll interview for the most unattractive office possible, to increase my chances. Phil also said that even though he tells students that, for some reason Hastings students overwhelmingly bid almost exclusively SF, not even Oakland.... also, if a firm is "preferred 25%" according to Phil, that means that they really entertain people down to median (you most likely wouldn't get hired obv) buuuuut you still have a shot at an interview. if it's "required x" you could still get an interview, but it's a lot more risky

wait, who's phil?

and mofo doesn't care about grades? a hastings counselor mentioned in passing they like top 10% (well obviously, who doesn't...but still she seemed to indicate that they were pretty grade selective) so i'm curious as to how low they'll go.

i'll look into whether or not hastings has the grades of people that got offers (and from who).

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”