UNLV c/o 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Julez

UNLV c/o 2014

Postby Julez » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Haven't seen a thread for us c/o 2014 Rebels so here it goes...

I just received my log-in to MyUNLV and reviewed my financial aid award letter. Now that I know how much I'll be receiving, I can start looking for a place to stay. I'm concerned about certain neighborhoods but I would ideally like to stay near campus. Anyone have any recommendations? My budget for a 1 bdrm apartment is ~$500/month.

Oh, and by the way..Congrats to all of us for getting accepted and I look forward to meeting you all!

figaro

Re: UNLV c/o 2014

Postby figaro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Julez wrote:Haven't seen a thread for us c/o 2014 Rebels so here it goes...

Nice. I'm excited about this thread. I do have to say though, as a UNR grad, I will never call myself a Rebel...ever

I'm sorry I can't help you in your apartment hunt, as I haven't moved to Vegas yet. When are you planning on moving?

Julez

Postby Julez » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 pm

figaro wrote:
Julez wrote:Haven't seen a thread for us c/o 2014 Rebels so here it goes...

Nice. I'm excited about this thread. I do have to say though, as a UNR grad, I will never call myself a Rebel...ever

I'm sorry I can't help you in your apartment hunt, as I haven't moved to Vegas yet. When are you planning on moving?

I'm a UW grad and I will forever be a diehard Husky but since UNLV and UW are in different conferences, I will allow myself to be part Rebel :wink:

I plan on moving around the end of July as I need to make as much money as possible before the move to help with the financial burden of not being able to work my first year in law school. I will be going down to Vegas the first week in June to scout the area and I have already contacted several apartments that interest me so hopefully that's a good start. Since I'm from Washington state, it's difficult to get a feel/information for areas remotely.

When do you plan on moving? Are you in the full or part time program?

NVResident

Postby NVResident » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:03 pm

"I do have to say though, as a UNR grad, I will never call myself a Rebel...ever"

As a lifelong northern Nevadan who is the only Rebel alum among a family of Wolfpack grads (3 sisters, wife, best friend) I can only say, "Welcome to the dark side of the Force". Give it some time and the Rebels will grow on you.

As to the best places to live, I would stay away from anything on the north side of town. The freeway commute can be bad at times and there is not a good surface street alternative. Probably the best place to look is south of the 215 off of Eastern or Green Valley parkway. Another alternative is anything west of Rainbow and south of Sahara (this is where I lived during my U/G work). The commute from this area to campus is only 15-20 minutes by surface street. Avoid anything either directly adjacent to, or immediately to the north of campus and east of the strip. While there are a lot of apartments, this is a very rough area.

Julez

Postby Julez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:09 pm

NVResident wrote:"I do have to say though, as a UNR grad, I will never call myself a Rebel...ever"

As a lifelong northern Nevadan who is the only Rebel alum among a family of Wolfpack grads (3 sisters, wife, best friend) I can only say, "Welcome to the dark side of the Force". Give it some time and the Rebels will grow on you.

As to the best places to live, I would stay away from anything on the north side of town. The freeway commute can be bad at times and there is not a good surface street alternative. Probably the best place to look is south of the 215 off of Eastern or Green Valley parkway. Another alternative is anything west of Rainbow and south of Sahara (this is where I lived during my U/G work). The commute from this area to campus is only 15-20 minutes by surface street. Avoid anything either directly adjacent to, or immediately to the north of campus and east of the strip. While there are a lot of apartments, this is a very rough area.

Thanks for the information. I found this site http://www.lvmpd.com/crimeviewcommunity/ (among many other "Moving to Las Vegas" websites) and typed in the address of places I was considering. I have definitely changed my areas of consideration to pretty much the Green Valley/Henderson area after reviewing the reports. Would you say the commute from GV/Henderson is also around 15-20 minutes by surface street?

NVResident

Postby NVResident » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Yeah, I would say 15-20 minutes at the outside. It's not bad at all.

jpjpporter

Postby jpjpporter » Mon May 23, 2011 10:10 am

just got accepted off the waitlist! I am proud to call myself a REBEL!

Julez

Postby Julez » Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 am

jpjpporter wrote:just got accepted off the waitlist! I am proud to call myself a REBEL!

Congrats! Will you be part time or full-time?

theunderestimator

Postby theunderestimator » Mon May 23, 2011 5:07 pm

NVResident wrote:"I do have to say though, as a UNR grad, I will never call myself a Rebel...ever"

I second that, especially in terms of avoiding North Vegas (you'll be looking at a verrrry long commute, even on a good day). You might also consider looking at places in the Southwest close to the 215 freeway (Jones & 215, Rainbow & 215, Durango & 215, etc). It's a nice developing area, and you can usually get to campus within 15 minutes via the freeway, 20 minutes-ish via the streets. :)

jpjpporter

Postby jpjpporter » Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Julez wrote:
jpjpporter wrote:just got accepted off the waitlist! I am proud to call myself a REBEL!

I was given a spot for the part-time evening program, so for now thats what it will be. UNLV was one of my top two choices, so I am just excited to be in. How about you??

Julez

Postby Julez » Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm

jpjpporter wrote:
Julez wrote:

I was given a spot for the part-time evening program, so for now thats what it will be. UNLV was one of my top two choices, so I am just excited to be in. How about you??

I will be in the full-time program but I might change to part time depending on my financial aid/income situation. I'm glad that at least I'll have the option to change programs if necessary.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”