Utah Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
twozeroseven

Utah Class of 2014

Postby twozeroseven » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 am

It was time this was done. I will be attending in August.

twozeroseven

Re: Utah Class of 2014

Postby twozeroseven » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 am

Where are people living / looking to live? At this time the mighty Craigslist is pretty bleak in the areas I'm looking at. Unless 4 people want to get a "law house" -- big 4 BR places are very cheap it seems, even in the Avenues and the Sugarhouse area.

fragged

Postby fragged » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I haven't visited yet, so I'm not sure where I will be living. Granted, my needs are a bit different (family of 4) but so far from what I've seen, Sugarhouse looks like an ideal place. East Millcreek appears to be a bit cheaper, but I'm only going by the ads I see on Craigslist.

Are there any areas to stay away from?

jowipa

Postby jowipa » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Pretty much the further east from state street the better the area. Really anywhere around East Mill Creek, Sugarhouse, Cottonwood and parts of downtown you will be in a nice area. - I list these because they are all within about 15 to 20 min if bad traffic to the U.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 pm

fragged wrote:I haven't visited yet, so I'm not sure where I will be living. Granted, my needs are a bit different (family of 4) but so far from what I've seen, Sugarhouse looks like an ideal place. East Millcreek appears to be a bit cheaper, but I'm only going by the ads I see on Craigslist.

Not sure what needs you have re: the other 3 humans with you. Keep in mind that the Avenues are awesome, but it is a real pain to get to the highway. Sugarhouse and Millcreek have much better access. I also saw a pretty dope pad (4 BR) listed in Olympus Cove. Very swank 'hood.

Much/most of the city is not inspiring (for me, from the east cost), but there is not any area to beware of until you get W of State Street.

hrourke

Postby hrourke » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm

fragged wrote:I haven't visited yet, so I'm not sure where I will be living. Granted, my needs are a bit different (family of 4) but so far from what I've seen, Sugarhouse looks like an ideal place. East Millcreek appears to be a bit cheaper, but I'm only going by the ads I see on Craigslist.

My family of 4 found a 3 bedroom place in Millcreek for $1000/mo. I think anything (decent) on the east side will be about $1000 - $1500/mo for a 3 bedroom. It's a nice area and easy to get to the freeway and to campus. Stay away from West Valley, Rose Park, anything on the west side.

fragged

Postby fragged » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Anyone check out CIS yet?

I just poked around and clicked to view my registration dates. It shows my enrollment appointment is April 15th at 8am. I'm pretty sure it's a little early to enroll in classes...

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 am

fragged wrote:Anyone check out CIS yet?

I just poked around and clicked to view my registration dates. It shows my enrollment appointment is April 15th at 8am. I'm pretty sure it's a little early to enroll in classes...

I only set up my email on that thing. I think tomorrow is a bit early to enroll as well. Clearly a snafu. Also, they won't let you enroll until you send them 2 copies of your UG transcripts. I'm glad my UG doesn't charge for that. Also, re: email, i was really hoping that Utah had migrated to Google / Gmail, but no such luck.

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Northwest Salt Lake/Rose Park/Glendale. East side is typically ok, though there's a close to campus/dorm style apt complex to stay the eff away from. I believe it's 200 S 1300 E.

Last year I believe 1Ls had their classes picked/assigned to them, so I don't know how much registering we'll need to do (although all sections of the same class meet at the same times anyway according to their schedule).

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 pm

hrourke wrote:

My family of 4 found a 3 bedroom place in Millcreek for $1000/mo. I think anything (decent) on the east side will be about $1000 - $1500/mo for a 3 bedroom. It's a nice area and easy to get to the freeway and to campus. Stay away from West Valley, Rose Park, anything on the west side.

Hey, West Jordan is nice :P (although admittedly, far away for commuting).

hrourke

Postby hrourke » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Pink wrote:
hrourke wrote:

Hey, West Jordan is nice :P (although admittedly, far away for commuting).

That's true. I was referring to places closer to campus. Anywhere south of the valley towards Utah County is newer and nicer. Probably a little cheaper as well. Just a horrible commute during rush hour. Although, a few friends of mine commute to the U from Lehi everyday. They say it's not that bad if they schedule their commute around rush hour.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Hey guys, I am looking for someone to take over my contract and I live literally across the street from the Law school. My land lord will be looking for someone to take the place for the upcoming school year too. Its a private one bedroom apartment, ideal for a married couple w/o children.

It's 650 a month all utilities included +cable and internet. I need someone to take the place may 7th or 8th through the summer. A cool bonus is that the landlord and his roommate are both U of U law grads, so you can get an in with a firm. PM me if you are interested.

BTW sorry about advertising on TLS but I have always thought that this would be the place that i would want to live if I was going to go to the U.

oh and last summer this place only lasted 4 hours on ksl.com. we haven't posted it yet but we will soon and it will probably go really fast.

jowipa

Postby jowipa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:45 am

Hey has anyone heard from any of that scholarship money that was freed up from those not going to the U? They said how they will do a second round but I haven't heard anything from anyone. Would be nice to get some more help paying for all of this :D

hrourke

Postby hrourke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

jowipa wrote:Hey has anyone heard from any of that scholarship money that was freed up from those not going to the U? They said how they will do a second round but I haven't heard anything from anyone. Would be nice to get some more help paying for all of this :D

I emailed this week and they said all second round offers have been awarded. They have had a high yield on their scholarships this year, so they don't expect a third round. If they go a third round, the amounts will be small and nonrenewable. Need-based scholarships will be awarded in the next couple weeks.

fragged

Postby fragged » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:52 pm

I was hoping for some aid for the first year, at least to soften the blow of a $39k tuition bill. Oh well, years 2 and 3 should be pretty affordable.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:16 am

fragged wrote:I was hoping for some aid for the first year, at least to soften the blow of a $39k tuition bill. Oh well, years 2 and 3 should be pretty affordable.

Same here. Curse me and my lackadaisical drunken undergraduate gpa.

On the money thought though: I looked (very briefly) at the financial aid award letter last night. I didn't seem to see anything regarding the PLUS loans ... just the Stafford ones totaling 20,500. I was expecting to see PLUS loans up to the total COA.

trace30

Postby trace30 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:14 am

twozeroseven wrote:
fragged wrote:I was hoping for some aid for the first year, at least to soften the blow of a $39k tuition bill. Oh well, years 2 and 3 should be pretty affordable.

Same here. Curse me and my lackadaisical drunken undergraduate gpa.

On the money thought though: I looked (very briefly) at the financial aid award letter last night. I didn't seem to see anything regarding the PLUS loans ... just the Stafford ones totaling 20,500. I was expecting to see PLUS loans up to the total COA.

No Graduate Plus+ info on mine either; it must end up being a separate application. I was surprised to get a full Perkins though cause my EFC was definitely not $0 as Dean Aguilar seems to emphasize.

hrourke

Postby hrourke » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Grad Plus loans are a separate application. It should be listed on the financial aid website (http://www.sa.utah.edu/finance/FA/forms.htm) when they get it up for the upcoming year.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:13 am

Did anyone have any luck negotiating aid with Reyes? I got a late acceptance from Tulane with scholarship money, which is better leverage than I had previously. I know they were expecting to have little / none available for a 2nd or 3rd round, but ...

jowipa

Postby jowipa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 am

Has anyone heard about need based scholarships?

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:41 pm

twozeroseven wrote:Did anyone have any luck negotiating aid with Reyes? I got a late acceptance from Tulane with scholarship money, which is better leverage than I had previously. I know they were expecting to have little / none available for a 2nd or 3rd round, but ...

They don't negotiate, but you could try.

hrourke

Postby hrourke » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:51 pm

jowipa wrote:Has anyone heard about need based scholarships?

I received a little scholarship last week via email.

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Pink wrote:They don't negotiate, but you could try.

I'm still unclear about merit aid vs. tuition waiver. Is one easier for them to stomach than the other? I assume merit aid is actual funding, tuition waiver is unrealized gross. Even a little bit off the OOS 1L year would make all the difference.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:21 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
Pink wrote:They don't negotiate, but you could try.

I'm still unclear about merit aid vs. tuition waiver. Is one easier for them to stomach than the other? I assume merit aid is actual funding, tuition waiver is unrealized gross. Even a little bit off the OOS 1L year would make all the difference.

I don't think it makes a difference to be honest. I'm guessing the tuition waiver comes from a pool used for all graduate programs (based Aguilar saying something about it being from the graduate school office or something), and the other is from the law school.

I mean, you could try, but no one has been successful thusfar (that I've seen anyway).

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Pink wrote:
I don't think it makes a difference to be honest. I'm guessing the tuition waiver comes from a pool used for all graduate programs (based Aguilar saying something about it being from the graduate school office or something), and the other is from the law school.

I mean, you could try, but no one has been successful thusfar (that I've seen anyway).

Aguiliar didn't rule it out when I spoke to him, so at least it's not policy to <i>not</i> negotiate. I'm psyched to have gotten accepted (and pretty fast) given my GPA, what it boils down to is that i should have maintained my residency in UT since I had no real plans of attending my home-state school. Crystal ball fail.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”