University of Houston c/o 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Fri May 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Wait, what is this about the scholarship? I have it in email and physical mail from Jamie. Do you think that'll be enough? Haha, I can't believe this is a problem. I'm sending in my commitment to the LS today.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri May 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Is yours not showing up either? I only have an email, too.

She said I could accept the aid package and then when they do award me the scholarship in the backend, they will just reduce the unsubsidized amount available. I don't want them to reduce the unsubsidized - I want them to reduce the amount I have to take out in Grad Plus since the interest is higher. This is just aggravating. I guess I won't accept the loan package until my scholarship shows up.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Fri May 27, 2011 2:53 pm

I don't even see anything in my account. It says financial aid unavailable for 2012.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I think they're rolling them out. As long as you completed the FAFSA, I'm sure you'll get yours soon.

User avatar
king lear
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby king lear » Fri May 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I emailed Ms. Neal and received a very prompt response to my questions. She said that the scholarships should post to the financial aid award packet in late June to July.

I am also taking out a Plus loan, and am a little confused still as to when that will show up in the packet. Any ideas?

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Fri May 27, 2011 3:29 pm

UH makes me miss CU's administration. =( They were so extremely over-the-top helpful.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 pm

upfish wrote:UH makes me miss CU's administration. =( They were so extremely over-the-top helpful.


Yeah.... :( All the other schools I was accepted to were AWESOME. W & M had like a 30 second response time.

ahawk
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby ahawk » Sun May 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Did y'all receive your peoplesoft ID and university email address already? If so, was it through email?

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby craneje » Sun May 29, 2011 6:04 pm

ahawk wrote:Did y'all receive your peoplesoft ID and university email address already? If so, was it through email?



Yes, I received my information by email approximately 3 weeks after my enrollment fee was processed.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Tue May 31, 2011 12:41 pm

@Josh: Is LRW graded at U of H?

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby Josh the Goat » Tue May 31, 2011 2:04 pm

brose wrote:@Josh: Is LRW graded at U of H?


Yep. And it's a pain the ass. You take it both semesters 1L year. Second semester final includes an actual exam where you have to correctly cite sample articles. One of my least favorite classes, but it's also very necessary.

I would just sit down and do as many of the assignments early in the semester that you can so you don't have to spend time working on them later.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Tue May 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Officially part of c/o 2014. Tough cycle because I didn't think I'd have so many choices. Looking forward to dominating.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
brose wrote:@Josh: Is LRW graded at U of H?


Yep. And it's a pain the ass. You take it both semesters 1L year. Second semester final includes an actual exam where you have to correctly cite sample articles. One of my least favorite classes, but it's also very necessary.

I would just sit down and do as many of the assignments early in the semester that you can so you don't have to spend time working on them later.



Bummerrrrr.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 pm

On the off-chance that one of you shares in my amazing genius: We had to apply separately on the studentloans.gov website for GradPLUS w/UH. I did not realize this because no other school asked me for this; they somehow went through the process for me and just gave me the amounts.

So, make sure if you are expecting Plus loans that you go and fill that out and submit it. :oops:

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 pm

it asks how much $$ you want to take out. did you just take the max or do you have a set budget? we still don't even know what tuition is!

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:39 pm

bartleby wrote:it asks how much $$ you want to take out. did you just take the max or do you have a set budget? we still don't even know what tuition is!


I told it max because I was like "how could I even know!?"

I figure I can scale it down when financial aid tells me I have the loans, or I can just send it back as a giant payment on the debt, haha.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:32 pm

is a 420 sq ft apt livable?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:38 pm

bartleby wrote:is a 420 sq ft apt livable?


Yeah. A big part of a space that size is the layout of the apartment. With two people it might be a squeeze.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm

brose wrote:
bartleby wrote:is a 420 sq ft apt livable?


Yeah. A big part of a space that size is the layout of the apartment. With two people it might be a squeeze.


CR.

I love small places, but ymmv.

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby i<3ny » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:25 am

Is anyone thinking of taking out private loans (from Citi or Wachovia) rather than the Plus or unsubsidized loan? It looks like you can get much lower rates from the banks nowadays than the gov't is giving. I'm reading about all that now, but if anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby craneje » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm

@Josh: Do many students work during L1? According to the UH website, L1 students are limited to 15 hours a week. The part-time program allows students to work unlimited hours and, presumably, most students work full-time while taking only 4 fewer credits in the fall and 6 fewer in the spring, so it seems plausible to work part-time during the full-time law program. I would appreciate your thoughts?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:15 pm

i<3ny wrote:Is anyone thinking of taking out private loans (from Citi or Wachovia) rather than the Plus or unsubsidized loan? It looks like you can get much lower rates from the banks nowadays than the gov't is giving. I'm reading about all that now, but if anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it.


Don't do it. They're variable which means they could spike and end up costing you more in the end. Also, they transfer to your estate if you die. Federal loans are forgiven on death and have much more benefits in terms of repayment.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... loans.html
Last edited by brose on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

craneje wrote:@Josh: Do many students work during L1? According to the UH website, L1 students are limited to 15 hours a week. The part-time program allows students to work unlimited hours and, presumably, most students work full-time while taking only 4 fewer credits in the fall and 6 fewer in the spring, so it seems plausible to work part-time during the full-time law program. I would appreciate your thoughts?


It's 1L, you could do it, but why? 1L is your most important year in terms of getting grades and securing your summer jobs....

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby Josh the Goat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:07 pm

brose wrote:
craneje wrote:@Josh: Do many students work during L1?


It's 1L, you could do it, but why? 1L is your most important year in terms of getting grades and securing your summer jobs....


Exactly. Yes, you may make some cash by working, but it's not worth it if you're not in desperate need. Your first semester grades are critical because they may land you a summer job after 1L year, and that's based entirely on your fall grades. If you do well enough you may land jobs paying $2k-$3k per week (Still very unlikely, but who knows where the market will be next summer).

Then again, I know someone who was part time last year that worked full time, and still managed to be the 3rd in her 1L class. So everyone is different. Do what you think is best for you in the long run.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby craneje » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:
brose wrote:
craneje wrote:@Josh: Do many students work during L1?


It's 1L, you could do it, but why? 1L is your most important year in terms of getting grades and securing your summer jobs....


Exactly. Yes, you may make some cash by working, but it's not worth it if you're not in desperate need. Your first semester grades are critical because they may land you a summer job after 1L year, and that's based entirely on your fall grades. If you do well enough you may land jobs paying $2k-$3k per week (Still very unlikely, but who knows where the market will be next summer).

Then again, I know someone who was part time last year that worked full time, and still managed to be the 3rd in her 1L class. So everyone is different. Do what you think is best for you in the long run.


Thanks for your input--I appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions!




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest