University of Houston c/o 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 11:54 am

I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!

User avatar
vttran9
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

bartleby wrote:does financial aid come through email or the student services site? we just had to fill out a fasfa right


25 here

They'll send you an email telling you that your financial aid package is in, and you can see the details in your peoplesoft.

User avatar
vttran9
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

brose wrote:I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!


No clue. It gives an estimate but not a real amount.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 pm

vttran9 wrote:
brose wrote:I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!


No clue. It gives an estimate but not a real amount.


Is the estimate the ridiculous 22k/yr?

User avatar
vttran9
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby vttran9 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 pm

brose wrote:
vttran9 wrote:
brose wrote:I also forgot to ask, to the person who got the financial aid packet: What is the tuition?!?!


No clue. It gives an estimate but not a real amount.


Is the estimate the ridiculous 22k/yr?


Yep. Theres a list of this year's tuition for grad students. UHLC is 866 per credit hour. Hope its not real because it was only 500 something last year. I am not liking Texas right now.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 pm

there's no way tuition can go up to like....$35,000 a year, right?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 pm

bartleby wrote:there's no way tuition can go up to like....$35,000 a year, right?


Of course there is... it would make them on par with other schools. Not this year, I would think, but by the time we graduate I could see it being that high.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 1:51 pm

According to their website, it says 866 per credit hour. :cry:

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 pm

yeah, i was talking about this year. i just can't imagine them raising tuition by 25% one year and then 33% on that amount this year. it's just too crazy. but the diff between 866 and 5xx multiplied by 30 is 10k-ish.

i wish they'd make the hard tuition figures available before we had to commit. deciding between this and SMU is too hard for me.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 2:25 pm

bartleby wrote:yeah, i was talking about this year. i just can't imagine them raising tuition by 25% one year and then 33% on that amount this year. it's just too crazy. but the diff between 866 and 5xx multiplied by 30 is 10k-ish.

i wish they'd make the hard tuition figures available before we had to commit. deciding between this and SMU is too hard for me.


If the tuition at SMU is relatively close (I'm assuming you have scholly there to be considering it) - then go to SMU.
Tuition is gonna rise that fast b/c of the budget crisis - their tuition has been comparatively too low in the past, in my opinion.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby craneje » Wed May 25, 2011 2:42 pm

vttran9 wrote:
bartleby wrote:does financial aid come through email or the student services site? we just had to fill out a fasfa right


25 here

They'll send you an email telling you that your financial aid package is in, and you can see the details in your peoplesoft.



I haven't received an email, but I just checked my financial aid status on peoplesoft and my award is there. So, if you are expecting an award you might want to check your peoplesoft account. :)

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm scared because I was awarded a scholarship but it's not in my peoplesoft. Just loans.... ugh.

craneje
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby craneje » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

brose wrote:I'm scared because I was awarded a scholarship but it's not in my peoplesoft. Just loans.... ugh.



You might have already done so, but you should contact Laura Neal in financial aid. I had a few questions for her earlier in the process and she was fast to respond and she had very specific, helpful advice. She is the person who would know best if there is a problem or if scholarships just post somewhere else or at another time. I didn't receive any scholarships so I can't help you--I had only loans :| in my peoplesoft and unfortunately that was all I expected. Best of luck to you.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 3:34 pm

craneje wrote:
brose wrote:I'm scared because I was awarded a scholarship but it's not in my peoplesoft. Just loans.... ugh.



You might have already done so, but you should contact Laura Neal in financial aid. I had a few questions for her earlier in the process and she was fast to respond and she had very specific, helpful advice. She is the person who would know best if there is a problem or if scholarships just post somewhere else or at another time. I didn't receive any scholarships so I can't help you--I had only loans :| in my peoplesoft and unfortunately that was all I expected. Best of luck to you.


I've had quite the opposite experience. I'll try and contact her again when I get a paper copy... :(

User avatar
TJISMYHERO
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

866 * 30 = 25980

Assuming 2k in fees, we're looking at about 28k for tuition next year if the estimates become reality, which is about a 5% increase. Am I missing something?

23 here.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Wed May 25, 2011 5:13 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:866 * 30 = 25980

Assuming 2k in fees, we're looking at about 28k for tuition next year if the estimates become reality, which is about a 5% increase. Am I missing something?

23 here.


Last year the fees were 4k. So I'd expect the same or more.

User avatar
TJISMYHERO
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Ah, well 30k it is then. Damn.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby bartleby » Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 pm

yeah I'm thinking SMU because it actually would be cheaper over 3 years. But my UH scholarship is enormously front loaded and my gf is here / I don't want to worry about change or nuthin'

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 am

So for anyone that has their financial aid award:

When you accessed it through the portal to accept/decline, did you see any GradPLUS loans? Mine just lists stafford loans, which are going to fall about $10-15k short of tuition + books, much less COL.

Do I have to request GradPLUS or have I been denied? :cry:

I'll call the office too obviously, but I wondered if this was happening to anybody else?

TheSkipper
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby TheSkipper » Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 am

upfish wrote:So for anyone that has their financial aid award:

When you accessed it through the portal to accept/decline, did you see any GradPLUS loans? Mine just lists stafford loans, which are going to fall about $10-15k short of tuition + books, much less COL.

Do I have to request GradPLUS or have I been denied? :cry:

I'll call the office too obviously, but I wondered if this was happening to anybody else?



+1

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm

GradPlus loans are a separate process. My scholarship wasn't listed... sigh.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby upfish » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

brose wrote:GradPlus loans are a separate process. My scholarship wasn't listed... sigh.


Well, at least the GradPlus thing is squared away.

Sucks that your scholly wasn't listed. =/

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm

It's OK, par for the course in my experience.

I've had nothing but things go wrong since I've decided to go here, and it's kind of freaking me out.

I couldn't even get anyone in the fin aid office to explain the difference in prices between 1L and 2L/3L's. I asked them if it's a set price, or is there a certain amount it rises per year? Why does everyone pay different prices? No answers.

It's really disheartening, but I already committed so ... :?

User avatar
Josh the Goat
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby Josh the Goat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm

My understanding of the disparity in prices between 1L's and 2/3L's is that the 1L's keep pouring in. No matter what tuition UH sets, they're going to get a packed house. Last year they proposed raising tuition significantly, and the current students were pissed off. So administration basically said, well let's just raise 1L prices by a lot, and 2/3L prices by a little. And Voila. At least that seemed to be the rationale from my perspective. There really isn't any other justification that I can see.

Please keep in mind that you can always decide not to go to law school, even once you've started. It's a huge cost and for many people they won't be able to pay off the debt for a very long time. If you realize at some point that it's not worth the cost/effort, don't feel bad about taking a step back and evaluating other options.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Josh the Goat wrote:My understanding of the disparity in prices between 1L's and 2/3L's is that the 1L's keep pouring in. No matter what tuition UH sets, they're going to get a packed house. Last year they proposed raising tuition significantly, and the current students were pissed off. So administration basically said, well let's just raise 1L prices by a lot, and 2/3L prices by a little. And Voila. At least that seemed to be the rationale from my perspective. There really isn't any other justification that I can see.

Please keep in mind that you can always decide not to go to law school, even once you've started. It's a huge cost and for many people they won't be able to pay off the debt for a very long time. If you realize at some point that it's not worth the cost/effort, don't feel bad about taking a step back and evaluating other options.


I totally am fine with the cost/effort, I just don't get any answers from administration on anything, which is what is making me uneasy.

I was promised a scholarship and had to bug them (after they told me no - I didn't have one) and then I finally got it weeks later. Now, it's not showing up on my financial aid. Today I try calling and it says my call is disconnected because they're experiencing too many calls.... like, really? Can anything go right? lol

Also, the administration told me it was a fixed price tuition - what we pay when we come in is what we pay all three years - and that's obviously not true... lol. So frustrating.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest