University of Houston c/o 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
vttran9
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby vttran9 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:42 pm

brose wrote:I am... just got room assignments on Friday.


Do you know how the room numbers work? I got mine too but I have no idea what floor or area it will be.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:51 pm

The floor is the first number 101 is first floor, etc. I don't know how to determine what wing or side of the building you're in.

User avatar
vttran9
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby vttran9 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Cool thanks.

I am on first floor then. Hopefully they are keeping undergrad students separate from grad students.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:21 pm

vttran9 wrote:Cool thanks.

I am on first floor then. Hopefully they are keeping undergrad students separate from grad students.


Maybe they're putting grad students on odd floors, and not separated necessarily by 1-6 and 7-9 or something...

jess85
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby jess85 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 pm

They put me on the first floor, also! I was told during my tour as well as by people living there that it was like 6 and up were grad students (maybe 7 and up?). I have no idea what's going on.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 3rd letter tells you what wing. At least that's how the girl at the desk explained it to me (which was all she was good for really).

User avatar
TJISMYHERO
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:51 am

I'm supposed to move in next week and still haven't gotten a room assignment. I've called them multiple times and been promised that I would have a room yet I am cautious since a friend of mine got an email yesterday apologizing and stating that he could not move in until the 18th even though he has been in constant communication with them about moving in early.

Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them first thing in the morning.

User avatar
vttran9
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby vttran9 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:23 am

TJISMYHERO wrote:I'm supposed to move in next week and still haven't gotten a room assignment. I've called them multiple times and been promised that I would have a room yet I am cautious since a friend of mine got an email yesterday apologizing and stating that he could not move in until the 18th even though he has been in constant communication with them about moving in early.

Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them first thing in the morning.


Are they making you pay a fee for moving in early? I am interested in moving in early also but I am not sure if they will let me since I currently live in Houston.

jess85
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby jess85 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:I'm supposed to move in next week and still haven't gotten a room assignment. I've called them multiple times and been promised that I would have a room yet I am cautious since a friend of mine got an email yesterday apologizing and stating that he could not move in until the 18th even though he has been in constant communication with them about moving in early.

Needless to say, I'll be on the phone with them first thing in the morning.


Did you get anyone on the phone? I've yet to get through to an actual person except for the people manning the front desk who can't actually help.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:03 pm

jess85 wrote:Did you get anyone on the phone? I've yet to get through to an actual person except for the people manning the front desk who can't actually help.


Ask them to transfer you to Melanie or Melissa or someone - she's the only one who's called back and she's in the main housing department. The only people who can answer these types of questions are in the main housing department - they don't work just for Calhoun.

jess85
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby jess85 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 pm

brose wrote:
jess85 wrote:Did you get anyone on the phone? I've yet to get through to an actual person except for the people manning the front desk who can't actually help.


Ask them to transfer you to Melanie or Melissa or someone - she's the only one who's called back and she's in the main housing department. The only people who can answer these types of questions are in the main housing department - they don't work just for Calhoun.


Melissa? I've left two message for her. They even gave me her email, no response. =/

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby i<3ny » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Did you all get your housing assignments via email? I have not received anything yet.

jess85
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby jess85 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:55 pm

i<3ny wrote:Did you all get your housing assignments via email? I have not received anything yet.


Yes, email.

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'll be attending as a full-time student at UH this fall, so nice to meet y'all in advance!

I'm in Section B with the following professors: Tabor, Chase, Sanders, and Crump. Looks like some of y'all have them as well, so I'll be seeing you in class (On a side note, I'd be interested in forming a 2 or 3 person study group, if anyone's so inclined!).

And I'll also be living in the Calhoun Lofts (no word on room assignment as of today, however).

Glad to meet everyone, and I'll see you at orientation!

P.S. Thanks, Josh and Bustang, for your useful annotations. By the way, any recommendations for a good supplement or supplements for Chase's class (or any of the classes I've mentioned above, but especially for Chase)?

Edited for grammar.
Last edited by InnocuousDiatribe on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
0 and 16
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby 0 and 16 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote: By the way, any recommendation on a good supplement for Chase's class (or any of the classes I've mentioned above, but especially for Chase)?


http://www.cartersahadi.com/profs.htm This site is a great resource for outlines from previous students. It's a lifesaver, really. Everyone learns differently so take this with a grain of salt, but I found that Glannon's E&E for Torts was outstanding. The E&E for Civ. Pro. is also quite good. I'm sure some of the other posters have different perspectives on which supplements they preferred.

User avatar
InnocuousDiatribe
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 pm

0 and 16 wrote:
InnocuousDiatribe wrote: By the way, any recommendation on a good supplement for Chase's class (or any of the classes I've mentioned above, but especially for Chase)?


http://www.cartersahadi.com/profs.htm This site is a great resource for outlines from previous students. It's a lifesaver, really. Everyone learns differently so take this with a grain of salt, but I found that Glannon's E&E for Torts was outstanding. The E&E for Civ. Pro. is also quite good. I'm sure some of the other posters have different perspectives on which supplements they preferred.


Thanks for the response, 0 and 16. Good to know my investment hasn't been a waste since I have the E&Es for those classes. I was just curious if there were any others that you might consider worthwhile (especially since some of you are already familiar with the specifics of the respective class). I'm not too excited to hear about Chase's arbitrarily-crafted exams...or Crump's being a dick for that matter, but I guess you have to play the cards you're dealt . :roll:

User avatar
0 and 16
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby 0 and 16 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm

For Contracts, it sounds like you will be doing an ungodly amount of reading for Chase, a supplement will be necessary. I have heard Chirelstein's(sp?) contracts supplement is good. I found the E&E to be to not be especially helpful. Perillo & Calamari write the hornbook which some people found helpful. Finally, it probably wouldn't hurt to memorize the Restatement (2nd) of Contracts.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am

Good thing I purchased that (Chirlestein or w/e) supplement today... lol.

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby Bustang » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:31 pm

0 and 16 wrote:For Contracts, it sounds like you will be doing an ungodly amount of reading for Chase, a supplement will be necessary. I have heard Chirelstein's(sp?) contracts supplement is good. I found the E&E to be to not be especially helpful. Perillo & Calamari write the hornbook which some people found helpful. Finally, it probably wouldn't hurt to memorize the Restatement (2nd) of Contracts.


E&E is necessary for Chase. You won't understand it otherwise unless you're auto-top 10 smart. Chirelstein's is ok. I memorized both the restatements and the UCC. By memorize, I literally mean memorize. Chase's tests are very trick and honestly the people who did well (not knocking them) did so more out of luck than what they knew. His test covered 2 topics that we briefly discussed in class and that threw a lot of people off. Your best bet is to learn everything and pray, or something.

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby Bustang » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:32 pm

Bustang wrote:
0 and 16 wrote:For Contracts, it sounds like you will be doing an ungodly amount of reading for Chase, a supplement will be necessary. I have heard Chirelstein's(sp?) contracts supplement is good. I found the E&E to be to not be especially helpful. Perillo & Calamari write the hornbook which some people found helpful. Finally, it probably wouldn't hurt to memorize the Restatement (2nd) of Contracts.


E&E is necessary for Chase. You won't understand it otherwise unless you're auto-top 10 smart. Chirelstein's is ok. I memorized both the restatements and the UCC. By memorize, I literally mean memorize. Chase's tests are very trick and honestly the people who did well (not knocking them) did so more out of luck than what they knew. His test covered 2 topics that we briefly discussed in class and that threw a lot of people off. Your best bet is to learn everything and pray, or something.


PS- I received a B+ in his class. He doesn't give out A's so I feel comfortable giving this advice.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Bustang wrote:
PS- I received a B+ in his class. He doesn't give out A's so I feel comfortable giving this advice.


He gives out no A's at all? :?

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby Bustang » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm

brose wrote:
Bustang wrote:
PS- I received a B+ in his class. He doesn't give out A's so I feel comfortable giving this advice.


He gives out no A's at all? :?


Never. He gave out more A-'s this year because of several people in my class doing very poorly. Typically he will give 2-3 A-'s and the rest are Bs.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby brose » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Oh ok... I read that and thought he doesn't give out any A's, whether they be A's or A-'s. At least there's a minimal shot instead of no shot at all... lol.

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby i<3ny » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Does anyone know if the "RHE" permits for Calhoun Lofts residents are for the East Garage? I replied to the email in June re: RHE parking and today saw on my "parking and transport" account that I've been assigned a permit for the East Garage, but I'm not sure if that is the closes parking to Calhoun.

jess85
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby jess85 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm

i<3ny wrote:Does anyone know if the "RHE" permits for Calhoun Lofts residents are for the East Garage? I replied to the email in June re: RHE parking and today saw on my "parking and transport" account that I've been assigned a permit for the East Garage, but I'm not sure if that is the closes parking to Calhoun.


The RHE is actually a lot between Calhoun and the East garage. I don't have a permit showing, so I couldn't tell you for sure what's going on, but I talked to someone the other day who assured me that if we signed up we'd get one. Maybe they're putting overflow into the garage?

i<3ny
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Houston c/o 2014

Postby i<3ny » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm

jess85 wrote:
i<3ny wrote:Does anyone know if the "RHE" permits for Calhoun Lofts residents are for the East Garage? I replied to the email in June re: RHE parking and today saw on my "parking and transport" account that I've been assigned a permit for the East Garage, but I'm not sure if that is the closes parking to Calhoun.


The RHE is actually a lot between Calhoun and the East garage. I don't have a permit showing, so I couldn't tell you for sure what's going on, but I talked to someone the other day who assured me that if we signed up we'd get one. Maybe they're putting overflow into the garage?


Thanks. I think I know what you are talking about.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest