Chicago-Kent Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
MTKennedy

New

Re: Chicago-Kent Class of 2014

Post by MTKennedy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Just paid the final seat deposit earlier in the week, and found an apartment in Wrigleyville. I'd be up for getting together as well but I won't be in Chicago again until I move at the end of July.

rdavi012

New

Post by rdavi012 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:36 pm

MTKennedy wrote:Just paid the final seat deposit earlier in the week, and found an apartment in Wrigleyville. I'd be up for getting together as well but I won't be in Chicago again until I move at the end of July.
im looking for apts now. i live in Florida and i am flying up to chicago during the first week of july. how much is your rent at the apartment in wrigleyville. i was also wondering if anyone can tell me more about Rogers park or any of the other neighborhoods people have talked about on here. when i talked to a lady from one of the apartment finder places i told her i was looking at some apts in rogers park(cuz they were cheap) but she said she highly suggest i not move there, and told me i wouldnt like it. so i was wondering what you guys who live in Chicago thought of the different neighborhoods. she said she usually sends ppl in college who just move there to lincoln park.

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:45 pm

ok...a few things to catch up on.

drinks sounds awesome - i'd like to suggest Duffy's pub on a Wednesday night or State Bar on Thursday night.
Duffy's is a nice spot, they usually have a live band which plays after 8 or 9 but Wednesdays they have $1 bud lights and $5 for any menu item. great food, great atmosphere. it's on Diversey just west of Sheridan in Lincoln Park/Lakeview
State is on Webster near Sheffield. Thursday nights they have $5 everything including beer and food. it's a little nicer than Duffy's but they have great food and TONS of TVs.
both are great places, but i'm also open to trying something new.

also, i've heard some good things about rogers park - keep in mind most leasing agents make commission off the first month's rent from your lease so the higher the rent, the more money they make. Lincoln Park has some of the highest rent in the city (though it's an awesome neighborhood.) i currently live in Lakeview just north of Lincoln Park about a block and a half from the lake. I don't think i'd live elsewhere, frankly. there are tons of restaurants, shops, bars, coffee shops, and great people. you might also look at old town which is south of Lincoln Park around Armitage and Lincoln.
i'll keep monitoring to see what the group decides.

FranklyBewildered

New

Post by FranklyBewildered » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Maybe we can agree on a date first, then worry about a venue! =P

July? Maybe the week after July 4th? Word from IIT is that packets with information regarding section, orientation, etc should go out by June 30th....so by July we should have plenty to talk about.

MTKennedy

New

Post by MTKennedy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:29 pm

rdavi012 wrote:
MTKennedy wrote:Just paid the final seat deposit earlier in the week, and found an apartment in Wrigleyville. I'd be up for getting together as well but I won't be in Chicago again until I move at the end of July.
im looking for apts now. i live in Florida and i am flying up to chicago during the first week of july. how much is your rent at the apartment in wrigleyville. i was also wondering if anyone can tell me more about Rogers park or any of the other neighborhoods people have talked about on here. when i talked to a lady from one of the apartment finder places i told her i was looking at some apts in rogers park(cuz they were cheap) but she said she highly suggest i not move there, and told me i wouldnt like it. so i was wondering what you guys who live in Chicago thought of the different neighborhoods. she said she usually sends ppl in college who just move there to lincoln park.
The apartment in Wrigleyville is $1195 a month. It's a one bedroom for my fiancee and I. It's got an updated kitchen and bath, it's off Lake Shore Drive with the bus only a block away and Wrigley is only a ten minute walk. We looked at some stuff in Lincoln Park and it was more expensive and seemed like you would need to pay for parking (we're bringing one car). There was actually an apartment that was pretty nice, about 700 sq. ft that we looked at a few blocks south of ours for around $1000. If you're looking in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Wrigleyville in the $1000-$1200 range send me a PM and I'll let you know what we saw. We saw 20ish apartments, so I may be able to save you some time. I won't recommend our apartment locator, she was an idiot.

Also, if anyone is interested we had a real estate agent show us some stuff in walkups and condo buildings. He was great! Something came up after we had already signed the lease that was like two blocks away from the law school, included parking, was newly redone and was $1300 a month. I know it's kind of steep but if you're interested I can give you his number and he can check and see if it's still available.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Last edited by a11 1n on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am

good point. state can get a bit crazy.

I'm down for July 7th. Hopefully we'll have our section information by then.

FranklyBewildered

New

Post by FranklyBewildered » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:02 am

I'm also avail for July 7th.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Just wanted to check in here, guys and gals. After some last minute, very successful negotiating between Loyola and Kent, I'm officially committed to Kent now!

I see most of you are living downtown. As for me, I'll be mooching off my parents in Lake Forest for a few months (possibly up til the end of the second semester) and taking Metra into the city everyday. I'll move from DC on July 15th and would love to attend any events you have planned after that!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:23 pm

aknecht wrote:Just wanted to check in here, guys and gals. After some last minute, very successful negotiating between Loyola and Kent, I'm officially committed to Kent now!

I see most of you are living downtown. As for me, I'll be mooching off my parents in Lake Forest for a few months (possibly up til the end of the second semester) and taking Metra into the city everyday. I'll move from DC on July 15th and would love to attend any events you have planned after that!
>.>
Same.

corvettekid

New

Post by corvettekid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Is anyone on here looking to buy a condo? It seems like most people are renting. Since I'm working now I think I'm going to try and buy a place because if I don't buy now I'll have to wait another 3 years before I make enough money to get approved for a loan...

If anyone thought about buying or knows someone that did if you could shed some light on how that went for them, or what made you decide to do it/not do it. I'm looking in the wickerpark/bucktown area i think. I looked at a few 3 bedroom 2 bath places in wrigleyville and lincoln park... but the condos in my price range there were kinda shitty... As much as I love that area, stuff is just a bit too expensive, plus parking seems to be a premium there.

Also, since the fireworks are canceled this year... is there anything else you guys would suggest doing in the city? (and Navy Pier is not an option, that place is gonna be a cluster f***)

Drinks

New

Post by Drinks » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Received the Registration Packet today. I'm in section B.

Contracts- Harris, S
Crim Law- Heyman
Torts- Wright

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:28 pm

I had Heyman for Torts, he is one of the best. I have heard good things about Wright as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Last edited by a11 1n on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranklyBewildered

New

Post by FranklyBewildered » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 pm

if you guys haven't already, make your way over to the facebook page and join...it'll make planning any "get together" events easier.

Section B btw.

jokerman

New

Post by jokerman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Section A2

I looked at the textbook list (the website can auto generate the list) and it is north of $600 based on their "new" prices. So, I am wondering what your guys thoughts are on buying new, buying used, or renting (when you can).

I do not plan on buying from the bookstore since Amazon is a lot cheaper ($40 difference on one book). But, if anyone knows an even cheaper place, then please share!!!

What events are on tap for next week as well.

CortninO

New

Post by CortninO » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Section B as well!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kimheami

New

Post by kimheami » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:51 pm

section b as well.

also for the people who are renting places.
are you guys doing year leases or 10 month leases? i probably will start my lease in august but i was trying to decide if i should expect to spend the summer in chicago or if i should just end the lease in may and if i stay in chicago over the summer should just get another lease then.
Just curious what other people are doing.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 pm

kimheami wrote:section b as well.

also for the people who are renting places.
are you guys doing year leases or 10 month leases? i probably will start my lease in august but i was trying to decide if i should expect to spend the summer in chicago or if i should just end the lease in may and if i stay in chicago over the summer should just get another lease then.
Just curious what other people are doing.
one would assume you would land some kind of work in Chicago during the summer so a year long (or even longer) lease would be appropriate IMO. 10 month leases tend to be significantly more expensive per month as well.

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Last edited by a11 1n on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranklyBewildered

New

Post by FranklyBewildered » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:21 pm

a11 1n wrote:
FranklyBewildered wrote:if you guys haven't already, make your way over to the facebook page and join...it'll make planning any "get together" events easier.

Section B btw.
I'm not a part of the facebook world so if someone could post details on a possible get together here that would be appreciated.

Looks like we have a few people in Section B. TLS study group in the making?
A wise man. I'm about to sacrifice it myself. Won't have time to be on either of them during school so why does it matter anyways right lol.

Basic details is the meetup is august 4th, somewhere in wrigleyville (possibly Sluggers, due to cheap specials). I think they're taking suggestions but so far the only suggestions have been Barleycorn and Sluggers, with Sluggers winning due to $$ concerns.

As for a TLS study group, only if it's efficient and handled in the right manner. No wasting each others time. Let's be professional about it, show up like we have a job to do, do the job, then do whatever you want.

I'm all for a study group to practice hypo exams. Strictly hypo exams. We can always help out with notes or absences via email, but the group meets strictly for taking exams and reviewing them to see what each of us wrote and comparing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Last edited by a11 1n on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangeyel

New

Post by orangeyel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:50 pm

B.

danget bobby

New

Post by danget bobby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:07 pm

O Hiiiiiiiiiii TLS

lewis&clarkLawGuy

New

Q about one of your profs

Post by lewis&clarkLawGuy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello. I am a student at Lewis & Clark Law School. Professor Varol will be a visiting professor at LC next year and I plan on taking Crim Law 1 from him. Does anyone have any thoughts about prof Varol? Teaching style, exams, etc. thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”