Florida State Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Cool Brees

New

Re: Florida State Class of 2014

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 am

minuit wrote: Oh no worries!! A lot of that locale is a gray area, where it's not bad but not good. I can't speak for other parts of frenchtown. But you should check this neighborhood out, too, as it seems to have a lot of your qualifications! It's so centrally located, I can get to the law school area in 4-5 minutes during rush hour!
Yeah, central location and being able to get to the law school quicker are the main reasons I want to move, NOT the area or condition of my current place. From my current place, I can get to campus in less than 15 minutes, but the law school is on the opposite side of the campus from me, which would probably mean ~20 minutes. Also, seeing as how we both live in the brown, I changed its description. "Livable" sounded kinda strong; so, I changed it to the synonym "cozy" (according to thesaurus.com) :lol:

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:56 am

Cool Brees wrote:
minuit wrote: Oh no worries!! A lot of that locale is a gray area, where it's not bad but not good. I can't speak for other parts of frenchtown. But you should check this neighborhood out, too, as it seems to have a lot of your qualifications! It's so centrally located, I can get to the law school area in 4-5 minutes during rush hour!
Yeah, central location and being able to get to the law school quicker are the main reasons I want to move, NOT the area or condition of my current place. From my current place, I can get to campus in less than 15 minutes, but the law school is on the opposite side of the campus from me, which would probably mean ~20 minutes. Also, seeing as how we both live in the brown, I changed its description. "Livable" sounded kinda strong; so, I changed it to the synonym "cozy" (according to thesaurus.com) :lol:
LOL nice. So this neighborhood is really slow and sleepy, as in, there is never any traffic (besides on MLK, but all the side streets are empty). I run with my dogs in the street and only pass a few cars the whole time! Also, getting to downtown is a straight shot down on Bronough - and during the mornings all the lights are timed to keep traffic flow moving because it's a one way street. Then Pensacola is a one way, and you hit the civic center parking and the garage. Then I take Duval back up, and there ya go! I love the one ways in downtown. Before moving here I lived on Thomasville/Betton road and it is a veryyyyy nice area that I highly recommend. Gorgeous, lots of parks, albeit a bit pricey.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Wow, that map is excellent.

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes, loved the map as well!

fiery_searcher

New

Post by fiery_searcher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Cool Brees wrote:
Unrelated, I would love to get a kayak. There are so many waterways to explore here, and I love being on the water and fishing.
I've only ever been out on Lake Bradford (the Rez), so I am very eager to explore Lake Talquin and all of the surrounding rivers! I'm sure I won't have much freetime, but want to make the most of it when I do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 pm

fiery_searcher wrote: I've only ever been out on Lake Bradford (the Rez), so I am very eager to explore Lake Talquin and all of the surrounding rivers! I'm sure I won't have much freetime, but want to make the most of it when I do.
Ain't that the truth! Lake Talquin is on my list. I hear Dickerson Bay and Levy Bay are nice and navigable by kayak, lots of oyster beds which are great for fishing. Wakulla Springs and Wakulla River, the river is ~12 mile trip from Wakulla Springs State Park to San Marcos De Apalache State Park. Lake Seminole, at the Georgia/ Florida border, has a couple of state parks, as well. Seminole state Park (actually, a Georgia park) is suppose to be really nice; they have "Tent & RV Campsites / two 2-Bedroom Cottages / Picnic Shelters / Pioneer Campsite / Treehouse Camping". <- Treehouse Camping?

:lol: I digress. I will likely be lucky to see any of these places, unless I learn how to read and kayak at the same time. and I don't even have a kayak yet lol

ssj752

New

Post by ssj752 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Sent in my seat deposit today. It was hard to turn down a lot of money at LSU. Especially since I love Louisiana and spend a couple weeks there every year. But, after spending three years in Tallahassee for undergrad, I found myself too indoctrinated to pass up a chance to go back for Law school.

Cool Brees, Are you the guy from Louisiana who sat at the table with the Lobbyist and Dean on Academic Scholars Day?

Cool Brees

New

Post by Cool Brees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 pm

ssj752 wrote:Sent in my seat deposit today. It was hard to turn down a lot of money at LSU. Especially since I love Louisiana and spend a couple weeks there every year. But, after spending three years in Tallahassee for undergrad, I found myself too indoctrinated to pass up a chance to go back for Law school.

Cool Brees, Are you the guy from Louisiana who sat at the table with the Lobbyist and Dean on Academic Scholars Day?

Yep. I am actually headed to Baton Rouge this weekend. I'm guessing we were at the same table, were you sitting directly across from me? Either way, welcome aboard. --ImageRemoved--

ssj752

New

Post by ssj752 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:34 pm

I believe that I was sitting across from you. Directly to the left of the Lobbyist.
Glad to see you decided to attend FSU.

Assuming you have a facebook, feel free to add me. Johnny Guevara.

Same goes for any of my future classmates.

You said you live in Tallahassee currently? I will be up fairly soon and periodically throughout the summer. We should get a beer or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 pm

ssj752 wrote:I believe that I was sitting across from you. Directly to the left of the Lobbyist.
Glad to see you decided to attend FSU.

Assuming you have a facebook, feel free to add me. Johnny Guevara.

Same goes for any of my future classmates.

You said you live in Tallahassee currently? I will be up fairly soon and periodically throughout the summer. We should get a beer or something.
Once the thread started going down this path, I knew that was you.

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Also here is the link to the FSU Law 2014 Admitted Students facebook group if anyone here hasn't joined.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... p_activity

I am Matt Neff if you look in the members. Feel free to add me as well as I look forward to meeting some of my future classmates.

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 pm

After looking at the map (thanks, Cool Brees!) and lurking the c/o 2012 and c/o 2013 threads, this is my short list for apartment complexes to check out if anyone's interested or has anything to add. (I left off all the Phoenix properties since most of us probably know about all those...) Also, I have a 35 lb. dog and it's my understanding that these are all pet-friendly:

Londontown
Mystic Wood Condos
Evergreens at Mahan
Polo on Park
Victoria Grand (might be slightly pricier)
Park Avenue Villas

I'm not sure of any of the Elite properties (Tallahassee Center, Tennyson, Cloister) allow pets; they're also probably pricier but cater exclusively to grad students/young professionals and are very close to the law school. Might be worth looking into.

I've also read a lot about roommate vs. no roommate for the first year and the consensus seems to be to go solo for 1L and then find a roommate for the other two years to save money...anyone here have any input?

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:44 am

I cannot be much more of a help besides letting you know that Londontown has a 20-25 lb pet weight limit. Also, Ashford Club apartments are hella nice and in a good location close to Londontown. 1 bedroom prices are too expensive, imho, but 2 bedrooms are only like $150 more, so it works out to a much more reasonable price. And they allow 35 lb dogs! It is no smoking, however.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lala7

New

Post by lala7 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:47 am

Last edited by lala7 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:51 am

hey everyone, mailed my deposit yesterday morning (they were nice and gave me a little extension), so as of now i'll be at fsu with y'all in the fall. i guess the next step now is scoping out places to live. thanks for the map post and all the good input on housing.

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am

minuit wrote:I cannot be much more of a help besides letting you know that Londontown has a 20-25 lb pet weight limit. Also, Ashford Club apartments are hella nice and in a good location close to Londontown. 1 bedroom prices are too expensive, imho, but 2 bedrooms are only like $150 more, so it works out to a much more reasonable price. And they allow 35 lb dogs! It is no smoking, however.
Ohh thanks for the info. I'll cross off Londontown (or maybe try to negotiate/cheat on my dog's weight a little...hah) and add Ashford Club to my list.
lala7 wrote: I've also been looking at The Paddock Club. It seems (from stalking the class of 2013 thread) that a lot of law students live there. Its also a lot cheaper than a lot of the other options but looks just as nice. Also, for those of us who have pets (I have a 45 pound dog) they have a dog park right on the property!
Thanks! Don't know how I missed this place from searching around before, it looks pretty nice from the web site (naturally)...and the starting price for a 1BR is pretty good.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm planning on depositing at florida towers tomorrow.......convince me otherwise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 pm

EricBerry wrote:I'm planning on depositing at florida towers tomorrow.......convince me otherwise.
Can't beat the location, but isn't it swimming with undergrads/not very nice?

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
EricBerry wrote:I'm planning on depositing at florida towers tomorrow.......convince me otherwise.
Can't beat the location, but isn't it swimming with undergrads/not very nice?
I was under the impression that most of the tenants of the phoenix south properties were grad students. The two biggest complaints I've heard were dealing with the noise from potbelly's and the age of the building.

Pros:
30 second commute to class
No hassle with parking
Extremely spacious for a 1 bedroom apartment (700 sq. ft)

Cons:
Age of the building
Price ($695 rent + $120 electricity + $30 internet)

I'm planning on getting a house for the following two years, but I figured the convenience might be worth the price difference for the first year.

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:47 am

FWIW, I went to Po Boy's after ASD and met five or six 2L's and 3L's; I asked them about living at a Phoenix property and they all warned against it. Basically they all said that even if you wanted to stay within walking distance, there are better/nicer/quieter places for a way better (at the very least intrinsic) value. One guy said he had moved about a block outside Jefferson (didn't catch the name of the complex if he told it to me) and it was a huge upgrade over Collegewood.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:59 am

amarkonthedoor wrote:
FWIW, I went to Po Boy's after ASD and met five or six 2L's and 3L's; I asked them about living at a Phoenix property and they all warned against it. Basically they all said that even if you wanted to stay within walking distance, there are better/nicer/quieter places for a way better (at the very least intrinsic) value. One guy said he had moved about a block outside Jefferson (didn't catch the name of the complex if he told it to me) and it was a huge upgrade over Collegewood.
Yeah, especially because a shitty one bedroom is $700/month not including utilities now? They used to be good because they were close and cheap, now they are just close. I hear the walls are really thin, too. There's better in the area!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:05 am

Here is a quote from a conversation I had with a friend of mine who just graduated FSU law law May.

"As for living, we started out across the street from the school. DO NOT RECOMMEND. I believe our was called "phoenix properties," our something like that. The units are small and dirty, and way overpriced. Plus, you're never "away" from school."

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I never found anything else within walking distance except the phoenix properties. Any suggestions?

lala7

New

Post by lala7 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:42 pm

EricBerry wrote:I never found anything else within walking distance except the phoenix properties. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I'm interested in this too. I'd love to walk or bike to campus if that's a possibility.

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Did anyone get some sort of receipt from the school after sending in their residency form and decision statement? Mine were due April 1st, I'm pretty sure I sent them out in time but I never got a confirmation. I don't necessarily have a reason to expect one, either, but I'm paranoid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”