University of Minnesota Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

FourOnTheFloor wrote:I had to drive 45 minutes to my undergrad school, so my idea of a decent commuting time is rather skewered, as well. A guy I met in Dinkytown told me that there are express buses that you can catch from the Uptown area which go right down the highway, but they only come around once an hour. But if you can grab that bus, it would be a fast commute. Apparently it's even quicker to bike, since you don't have to wait in traffic at red lights.


Yeah I'll be trying to bike everywhere. It's my main means of transportation here in Seattle, and I literally have to ride uphill both ways multiple times to get anywhere. The relative flat and well maintained roads of Minneapolis seem to more than make up for the extra distance.

youngbuck
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby youngbuck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 pm

geoduck wrote:
FourOnTheFloor wrote:I had to drive 45 minutes to my undergrad school, so my idea of a decent commuting time is rather skewered, as well. A guy I met in Dinkytown told me that there are express buses that you can catch from the Uptown area which go right down the highway, but they only come around once an hour. But if you can grab that bus, it would be a fast commute. Apparently it's even quicker to bike, since you don't have to wait in traffic at red lights.


Yeah I'll be trying to bike everywhere. It's my main means of transportation here in Seattle, and I literally have to ride uphill both ways multiple times to get anywhere. The relative flat and well maintained roads of Minneapolis seem to more than make up for the extra distance.


But biking in 10 degree weather? Definitely good for the warmer months (ha! :)), but I wouldn't want to count on it as my main means of commuting. I definitely second the fact that bikes are faster than cars/buses though. I love getting honked at by cars who feel like I'm in their way only to pass those same cars 10 seconds later when they hit a red light behind a long line of traffic.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby kjadkins » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:45 pm

youngbuck wrote:
But biking in 10 degree weather? Definitely good for the warmer months (ha! :)), but I wouldn't want to count on it as my main means of commuting. I definitely second the fact that bikes are faster than cars/buses though. I love getting honked at by cars who feel like I'm in their way only to pass those same cars 10 seconds later when they hit a red light behind a long line of traffic.


I think I read on one of the Minnesota threads that biking becomes problematic when the snow starts to pile up though. Just something else to keep in mind.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46 pm

kjadkins wrote:
youngbuck wrote:
But biking in 10 degree weather? Definitely good for the warmer months (ha! :)), but I wouldn't want to count on it as my main means of commuting. I definitely second the fact that bikes are faster than cars/buses though. I love getting honked at by cars who feel like I'm in their way only to pass those same cars 10 seconds later when they hit a red light behind a long line of traffic.


I think I read on one of the Minnesota threads that biking becomes problematic when the snow starts to pile up though. Just something else to keep in mind.


I've done it in 25 degree weather... I'm down to try 10. Though yeah, I'm only thinking of biking the half mile downtown from Loring Park to the UM bus, which should be fully plowed and sanded.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Just put down my seat deposit.

MINNESOOOOOOTA HERE I COME! :)

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Just put down my seat deposit.

MINNESOOOOOOTA HERE I COME! :)


Welcome! I knew you'd come around to UMN :D.

jbjlaw
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby jbjlaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 am

I just got my apartment in Uptown yesterday! So excited to finally start getting everything in order.

sparcarc
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:24 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby sparcarc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

Hello everyone,

Glad to be meeting you in the fall!
September's definitely not too far away. Much excited.

Just wondering,

How many of you are out-of-staters here? And how many of you plan to move out of the state after law school?

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 am

sparcarc wrote:Hello everyone,

Glad to be meeting you in the fall!
September's definitely not too far away. Much excited.

Just wondering,

How many of you are out-of-staters here? And how many of you plan to move out of the state after law school?


Out-of-stater here. Honestly I don't know if I'll be staying in state afterwards. It depends on if I'm still in love with the Twin Cities in three years.

User avatar
loblaw
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby loblaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:52 am

sparcarc wrote:Hello everyone,

Glad to be meeting you in the fall!
September's definitely not too far away. Much excited.

Just wondering,

How many of you are out-of-staters here? And how many of you plan to move out of the state after law school?


Looks like I will be attending as well. I'm technically OOS but grew up in a reciprocity state so was granted reciprocity tuition. I'm currently on the east coast and would ultimately like to return to somewhere in the general NY/DC/PHI/BOS megalopolis area. I don't mind the midwest though, so it's not a huge deal if I end up in MN/CHI.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby Tim0thy222 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 am

loblaw wrote:
sparcarc wrote:Hello everyone,

Glad to be meeting you in the fall!
September's definitely not too far away. Much excited.

Just wondering,

How many of you are out-of-staters here? And how many of you plan to move out of the state after law school?


Looks like I will be attending as well. I'm technically OOS but grew up in a reciprocity state so was granted reciprocity tuition. I'm currently on the east coast and would ultimately like to return to somewhere in the general NY/DC/PHI/BOS megalopolis area. I don't mind the midwest though, so it's not a huge deal if I end up in MN/CHI.


Glad to see you're joining us loblaw!

In regards to the OOS thing, I am out of state coming from California. I think that after law school it is likely I'm going to either end up back in the bay area, or maybe on the east coast, though I'm not really committed. It will probably have something to do with the form of law I choose to practice and where the opportunities are. It is unlikely I will stay in Minnesota or the midwest if I can help it though.

And I am much excited too. :mrgreen:

User avatar
loblaw
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby loblaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
loblaw wrote:
sparcarc wrote:Hello everyone,

Glad to be meeting you in the fall!
September's definitely not too far away. Much excited.

Just wondering,

How many of you are out-of-staters here? And how many of you plan to move out of the state after law school?


Looks like I will be attending as well. I'm technically OOS but grew up in a reciprocity state so was granted reciprocity tuition. I'm currently on the east coast and would ultimately like to return to somewhere in the general NY/DC/PHI/BOS megalopolis area. I don't mind the midwest though, so it's not a huge deal if I end up in MN/CHI.


Glad to see you're joining us loblaw!

In regards to the OOS thing, I am out of state coming from California. I think that after law school it is likely I'm going to either end up back in the bay area, or maybe on the east coast, though I'm not really committed. It will probably have something to do with the form of law I choose to practice and where the opportunities are. It is unlikely I will stay in Minnesota or the midwest if I can help it though.

And I am much excited too. :mrgreen:


Tim0--Yup! That envelope contained exactly what I thought it did. Plus, you and USNWR don't lie, so it's Minnesota FTW!

I am very, very excited and am now "shopping the North Face" hoping to get a deal on a proper arctic parka. In MN I believe it's perfectly acceptable fashion to wear a wolf on your head: http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... tionId=67B

Are most people bringing cars? I know they say you don't need one, but I feel like it would be worth it just to avoid lugging groceries home in sub-zero windchill.

athenian
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby athenian » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Another out-of-stater here. I'm coming from sunny and warm GA and when I went coat shopping, the local places didn't have any coats that would go to sub zero tempratures and seemed pretty shocked that I'd ask for one.

I'm hoping to land in the Bay Area after graduation (and I'm excited about the new off campus interview Minnesota has set up in SF). If that doesn't work out, I've got really good connections back home in Atlanta.

jam88
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby jam88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:24 pm

loblaw wrote:
I am very, very excited and am now "shopping the North Face" hoping to get a deal on a proper arctic parka. In MN I believe it's perfectly acceptable fashion to wear a wolf on your head: http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... tionId=67B

Are most people bringing cars? I know they say you don't need one, but I feel like it would be worth it just to avoid lugging groceries home in sub-zero windchill.



Amazing north face! I am from Iowa but I've lived in Oregon for the past 5 years. My friend is going to Marquette for Grad school and the first thing she made me do after she decided was go shopping for parkas. Love it. I'm going to go home and see how ugly the parka I had in high school was and reassess. Also, I am planning on bringing my car, but if anything it will make is much easier to go home on the weekends if I want to/I'm lazy and want to be able to drive to the gym.

clar
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby clar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Does anyone know how late the buses run to and from uptown

eve2490
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:00 am

.

Postby eve2490 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:33 pm

.
Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby kjadkins » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:37 am

I'm coming from OOS too, but I'm not sure where I'll end up after graduation. I'd like to keep my options as open as possible, and I don't feel like I have anything seriously drawing me to one region/state over another.

I'm planning on bringing a car, as is my boyfriend. I just can't imagine life without one. But if I have it for a few months and it ends up being completely unnecessary then I'll just drive mine back and split the cost of the parking pass with him and share his car.

Just got approved for our apartment yesterday :) I'm so excited to move in and get settled.

stat2014
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:44 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby stat2014 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Been lurking for a while, figured I would chime in :)

Put in the seat deposit last week, the preview weekend sealed the deal. My girlfriend and I are definitely bringing at least one car. I'm from California as well, so the climate adjustment is bound to be intense lol.

Where did you end up getting an apartment kjadkins, at Karinsplass? We were looking at one and two bedrooms in the uptown and St. Louis park areas. Anyone else have advice for an apartment search?

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

stat2014 wrote:Been lurking for a while, figured I would chime in :)

Put in the seat deposit last week, the preview weekend sealed the deal. My girlfriend and I are definitely bringing at least one car. I'm from California as well, so the climate adjustment is bound to be intense lol.

Where did you end up getting an apartment kjadkins, at Karinsplass? We were looking at one and two bedrooms in the uptown and St. Louis park areas. Anyone else have advice for an apartment search?


I'm addicted to no-car city living and my wife loves Loring Park, so I'm looking at the apts/condos right around there. It's especially great since Nicollet is a bus/bike only street which is always plowed, so even on heavy snow days, my bike/bus hybrid commute should only be about 20-25 minutes.

athenian
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby athenian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Anyone planning on living in Uptown this fall? I'm trying to find a roommate or two to keep costs down.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby kjadkins » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 pm

stat2014 wrote:Been lurking for a while, figured I would chime in :)

Put in the seat deposit last week, the preview weekend sealed the deal. My girlfriend and I are definitely bringing at least one car. I'm from California as well, so the climate adjustment is bound to be intense lol.

Where did you end up getting an apartment kjadkins, at Karinsplass? We were looking at one and two bedrooms in the uptown and St. Louis park areas. Anyone else have advice for an apartment search?


Yep, we got a one bedroom in Karinsplass. Based on the pictures it's REALLY nice, and according to Google Maps it's less than a 10 minute walk to class.

monarch2007
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby monarch2007 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 pm

go gophers, right? @kjadkins - so I'm pretty sure you're the girl I met in Tuscaloosa and then saw again in Minneapolis at UA and UMN's ASDs - glad to hear you're going to the U too, and if it isnt you, then I'll feel like a huge creeper.

Anyone know of good studio apartments either uptown or downtown? I dont know if ill be able to handle the stress of living with other law students around exam time haha

tropicalpeach
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby tropicalpeach » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

I'll be coming from Atlanta with my dog. I think I'm set on Lake Calhoun City Apartments in Uptown...walking distance to food, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on these apartments? I think I'm moving there halfway through August to get used to a new city...i'm excited! Anyone else from ATL?

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby kjadkins » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 pm

monarch2007 wrote:go gophers, right? @kjadkins - so I'm pretty sure you're the girl I met in Tuscaloosa and then saw again in Minneapolis at UA and UMN's ASDs - glad to hear you're going to the U too, and if it isnt you, then I'll feel like a huge creeper.

Anyone know of good studio apartments either uptown or downtown? I dont know if ill be able to handle the stress of living with other law students around exam time haha


Haha yep, that's me :)

Chareth_Cutestory
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby Chareth_Cutestory » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Hey congrats everyone. I'm looking for roommates for next fall. I'm a male from Madison, WI but I don't care about gender as long as you're somewhat sane/responsible/laid back. Not set on a location yet, so I could be swayed a number of directions and finding good roommates in probably more important to me than location anyways. Message me if you're interested. Thanks.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest