University of Minnesota Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
tinlawman

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby tinlawman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:30 pm

Are people planning on getting roommates or getting like a studio and living alone? Do you get the sense that most people in the apartment building are law students?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm

tinlawman wrote:Are people planning on getting roommates or getting like a studio and living alone? Do you get the sense that most people in the apartment building are law students?

I think most people in the Seven Corners and Grand Marc complexes are law/grad students, and most get roommates. I'll be living with my boyfriend and splitting rent and bills and such.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Sandro wrote:Anyone want to setup anything for thursday night ? I will be in Thursday afternoon staying at the Millenium downtown, no car though.

Thursday night sounds pretty good to me. I'm in the Holiday across from the law school, but can meet wherever. Gotta get used to walking around sometime!

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm

I was looking over the student life section on UMN's website and was struck by the variety of clubs and student organizations. In high school and college I considered myself too "cool" to get involved in campus activities, but I plan to turn over a new leaf in law school. TORT (Theatre of the Relatively Talentless) is one of the more unique clubs I've seen at any school. It's nice to see that humor and levity aren't frowned upon at UMN

If I go, I'll definitely give the basketball club a shot and flaunt my trashy city playground game :)

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:00 pm

geoduck wrote:
Sandro wrote:Anyone want to setup anything for thursday night ? I will be in Thursday afternoon staying at the Millenium downtown, no car though.

Thursday night sounds pretty good to me. I'm in the Holiday across from the law school, but can meet wherever. Gotta get used to walking around sometime!

Wish I would have seen this sooner! I'm just hanging out in my hotel right now. Oh well, I'll see you both tomorrow!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
geoduck wrote:

Wish I would have seen this sooner! I'm just hanging out in my hotel right now. Oh well, I'll see you both tomorrow!

Yeah same here. Where'd you end up?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 pm

geoduck wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
geoduck wrote:

DoubleTree downtown. $50/night and I have a suite with a king size bed, a living room, and 2 (yes, 2), flat panel TVs. Thank you Priceline.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Thursday night sounds pretty good to me. I'm in the Holiday across from the law school, but can meet wherever. Gotta get used to walking around sometime!

DoubleTree downtown. $50/night and I have a suite with a king size bed, a living room, and 2 (yes, 2), flat panel TVs. Thank you Priceline.

Damn! The Shat really scored for you.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:12 am

Damn... I got the freaking millenium and while its passable, its def not a 3.5 star like they said online. Doubletrees are nice,

weber35

Postby weber35 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:42 am

Did some apartment hunting after the Q&A with Dean Wippman. I was actually real impressed with one and ended up putting a hold on it. I'll be living two blocks from Lake Calhoun (essentially Uptown). The place has an indoor/outdoor pool, hottub, sauna, tennis court, fitness room, movie theater, etc. I even got a balcony! Little far from campus, but I can get there in under 20 minutes.

By the way, I was real impressed by the whole weekend. What did everyone think?

njn3

Postby njn3 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:11 pm

weber35 wrote:Did some apartment hunting after the Q&A with Dean Wippman. I was actually real impressed with one and ended up putting a hold on it. I'll be living two blocks from Lake Calhoun (essentially Uptown). The place has an indoor/outdoor pool, hottub, sauna, tennis court, fitness room, movie theater, etc. I even got a balcony! Little far from campus, but I can get there in under 20 minutes.

By the way, I was real impressed by the whole weekend. What did everyone think?

Is that the Calhoun Beach club? I've been looking into that place and was wondering if you can put holds on apts.

Also when you say "in under 20 minutes" is that driving or by bus?

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah, how did ASW influence everyone? Did it solidify the school in your mind? I wasn't able to make it out for either weekend. Got too much nonsense going on.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:25 pm

I really need some advice on apts! I have a large dog, which seems to make everything difficult. It's so hard to try and find potential apts on the internet alone. Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking either dinkytown (amazing solhaus flats) or somewhere uptown...

postm008

Postby postm008 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Hey all! I'll be going to the U in the fall and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing a house with some other quiet and dedicated law students? That way we arent sharing common walls with undergrads at seven corners or anything like that and can park for free. I just rented out a house in Dinkytown that has a bus stop right out the front door and drops off at the door of the law school 8 minutes later. This will be way cheaper and IMO more convenient than dealing with the parking issue

If anyone is interested, PM me and we can see if it works :D

weber35

Postby weber35 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:09 pm

njn3 wrote:Is that the Calhoun Beach club? I've been looking into that place and was wondering if you can put holds on apts.

Also when you say "in under 20 minutes" is that driving or by bus?

I drove by the Calhoun Beach club, but it is out of my price range. Looked very nice though and is directly on the lake.

My GPS puts the drive to Mondale Hall at 12 minutes and 16 minutes in traffic. There is also a bus route right on my corner that stops at Washington Ave. with no transfers (Route 114). The transit website puts the entire trip (including walking) at 19 minutes. So, either way should make for a doable commute from the Calhoun area.

@tropicalpeach: Just in my limited apartment hunting I found several willing to accomodate dogs/cats, although an additional deposit was required. Some did mention size limits, but you shouldn't have a problem finding something.

tessakate6

Postby tessakate6 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:35 pm

From talking to current law students, a lot of them say that having distance from the law school might be good for balance in our lives.
I have been looking at one bedrooms in the Uptown area also. I wouldn't be opposed to living in the warehouse district or downtown either. If anyone is interested in getting an apartment to cut costs, PM me!!

kellycane

Postby kellycane » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:I really need some advice on apts! I have a large dog, which seems to make everything difficult. It's so hard to try and find potential apts on the internet alone. Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking either dinkytown (amazing solhaus flats) or somewhere uptown...

I have a large dog too! What kind of dog do you have? I have a 100+ lb Newfoundland puppy, so I totally understand the headache of finding an apartment that is not only pet-friendly but "giant dog" friendly!

A 2L I spoke with who has dogs indicated that the Uptown area had dog-friendly apartments, and was close to several dog parks. The express bus from her Uptown apartment to the law school takes 5 minutes, which sounds perfect for running home for a quick walk. PM me for more info :)

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:48 pm

tessakate6 wrote:From talking to current law students, a lot of them say that having distance from the law school might be good for balance in our lives.
I have been looking at one bedrooms in the Uptown area also. I wouldn't be opposed to living in the warehouse district or downtown either. If anyone is interested in getting an apartment to cut costs, PM me!!

The current student who emailed me actually recommended the opposite when I asked her where she suggested on living. She said that for her it was a lot better to be close by because 1L year she spent so many hours at the law school every week that she didn't want to add an unnecessary commute on top of that. But I guess to each his own. I just submitted an application to Karinsplass (about a 10 min walk from the law school) so I'm hoping I hear back from them soon.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 pm

I have a Great Pyrennes! Perfect dog for Minn weather- considering she dies a little every summer in the Atlanta heat. @kjadkins: can you recommend some names? I'd really appreciate it!

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Tagging this. Looks like I'm Minnesota bound.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:I have a Great Pyrennes! Perfect dog for Minn weather- considering she dies a little every summer in the Atlanta heat. @kjadkins: can you recommend some names? I'd really appreciate it!

The only places I know about are the places I tried to apply - Grand Marc, Seven Corners, and Karinsplass (all very close to the law school), but I don't think any of those allow dogs. :(

SoOverNightlife

Postby SoOverNightlife » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 am

I just paid my seat deposit and figured I'd celebrate with my first post after lurking here for so long : )

I'm starting the apartment hunt. I've been told I'm going to want enclosed parking but that seems to be only included in really high price points. I'm mostly looking at Uptown and Loring Park because I have a fairly new car that I want to get use out of since I have to make payments regardless.

FourOnTheFloor

Postby FourOnTheFloor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm

I also just sent in my deposit. I am now a Golden Gopher!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Deposited last night here, so now I'm officially a Golden Gopher as well! Mostly looking for Loring Park myself. 16 minutes isn't too bad a bike ride. They say it'd take a half hour by bus because of downtown transfer, but if what I hear about the snow plows is correct, I should be able to ride to the transfer point and cut that down to 20 minutes. Not quite as good as my 10 minute ride to work right now... but I'll happily take it over the hour-long drive I had to my UG.

FourOnTheFloor

Postby FourOnTheFloor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:56 pm

I had to drive 45 minutes to my undergrad school, so my idea of a decent commuting time is rather skewered, as well. A guy I met in Dinkytown told me that there are express buses that you can catch from the Uptown area which go right down the highway, but they only come around once an hour. But if you can grab that bus, it would be a fast commute. Apparently it's even quicker to bike, since you don't have to wait in traffic at red lights.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”