University of Minnesota Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
walk
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:02 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby walk » Mon May 30, 2011 2:48 am

geoduck wrote:
walk wrote:
Thanks a lot.
I'm not on the facebook because of government censorship in our country. Hope to join you on facebook when I come to U.S. :)


Wow they completely block facebook? Are you Saudi or Iranian?


Chinese :D

athenian
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby athenian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 am

Anyone still looking for a roommate?

clar
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby clar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:42 pm

What neighborhoods is everyone living in

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I'll be on the far west end of Prospect Park, right near the stadiums.

User avatar
weber35
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby weber35 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:04 am

Uptown area.. few blocks north of Lake Calhoun.

User avatar
boozehound
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby boozehound » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 am

I'm starting to think the state budget shortfall is going to screw up the University schedule or at least make our tuition skyrocket. Not too happy with my UMN choice right now.

User avatar
loblaw
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby loblaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:42 am

boozehound wrote:I'm starting to think the state budget shortfall is going to screw up the University schedule or at least make our tuition skyrocket. Not too happy with my UMN choice right now.


I think our tuition rate is locked for all three years?

monarch2007
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby monarch2007 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:52 am

boozehound wrote:I'm starting to think the state budget shortfall is going to screw up the University schedule or at least make our tuition skyrocket. Not too happy with my UMN choice right now.


Someone addressed that in the facebook group and Rachel said they aren't anticipating many issues for the law school students at this time - the link she shared did say that it looks like a lot of construction projects are going to be put on hold though. Here's the link, though I'm not sure how helpful it will be: http://www.mndaily.com/2011/06/08/shutd ... e-projects

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 pm

loblaw wrote:
boozehound wrote:I'm starting to think the state budget shortfall is going to screw up the University schedule or at least make our tuition skyrocket. Not too happy with my UMN choice right now.


I think our tuition rate is locked for all three years?


I thought that it was not locked for all three years, and that it was likely to go up each year (at any law school, not just UMN). I'm not really sure though.

Also, in regards to the state budget shortfall thing, the Dean of the law school said that only about 10% of funding is from the government right now, and that they're moving toward becoming a private school, so I don't think it will be total apocalypse.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
loblaw wrote:
boozehound wrote:I'm starting to think the state budget shortfall is going to screw up the University schedule or at least make our tuition skyrocket. Not too happy with my UMN choice right now.


I think our tuition rate is locked for all three years?


I thought that it was not locked for all three years, and that it was likely to go up each year (at any law school, not just UMN). I'm not really sure though.

Also, in regards to the state budget shortfall thing, the Dean of the law school said that only about 10% of funding is from the government right now, and that they're moving toward becoming a private school, so I don't think it will be total apocalypse.


At ASW someone addressed this (can't remember who), they said that the majority of tuition increases apply to 1L tuition for the incoming class and that once you enter law school your tuition is only raised minimally for the second two years, it's not exactly "locked", but it also won't go up substantially either.

They also told us at ASW that the law school is largely financially self-sufficient. It's not as dependent on state funds as the undergraduate programs, so it's not as sensitive to changed in the state budget.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Hey guys I just got in off the wait list today and am super exciting about UMN! Where do most of the law school students live?

User avatar
weber35
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby weber35 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 pm

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Uptown.

For real though, Uptown.

justhockey31
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56 pm

weber35 wrote:I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Uptown.

For real though, Uptown.


Haha if its half as good as u made it seem then it sounds great! Whats the deal with the mandatory lap top purchase? I literally just got a new one a few weeks ago as I did not think I would get in off the wait list

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby geoduck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:39 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
weber35 wrote:I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Uptown.

For real though, Uptown.


Haha if its half as good as u made it seem then it sounds great! Whats the deal with the mandatory lap top purchase? I literally just got a new one a few weeks ago as I did not think I would get in off the wait list


The deal is that it's mandatory. For realz. They add it to your federal loan and hand them out at orientation all set up with the necessary software. It's really nice in that no matter what goes wrong with your laptop and no matter the reason, they'll fix or replace it immediately. But it blows for people like yourself who just bought a new system or people like me that don't like working on PCs.

User avatar
loblaw
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby loblaw » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
weber35 wrote:I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Uptown.

For real though, Uptown.


Haha if its half as good as u made it seem then it sounds great! Whats the deal with the mandatory lap top purchase? I literally just got a new one a few weeks ago as I did not think I would get in off the wait list


Hey, I'm in the reverse situation in that I didn't think I needed to buy a laptop, and now I do. Perhaps we could work something out?

monarch2007
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby monarch2007 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Hey - found out I won't be living in Minneapolis next year after all, but had already signed a lease for a furnished 2 br /2 ba place at the grandmarc right across from the law school. If anyone on here still hasn't found a place to live yet and would be interested, please PM me!

User avatar
badlydrawn
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:11 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby badlydrawn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

To those seeking housing:

I am a rising 3L at UMN, and I'm moving out of my three-bedroom apartment. My current roommates and I are looking for another law student to assume my tenancy. If you're still looking for housing, this would be an excellent, low-stress place to live. Both males and females are welcome. Sorry, no small mammals for pets.

Here's a shot of the living room:
Image

Location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=507+w+33rd+street+minneapolis+mn&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.957536,93.076172&z=16

Uptown area. Quiet.

Details:
  • ~$600/month
  • $17/month for high-speed Internet
  • $10-15 for gas in summer months, ~45/month in winter months.
  • 5.6 miles from the law school.
  • Traveling to school: ~10 minutes by car, ~18-25 minutes by bike, ~20 minutes by 113/114 express bus lines.
  • The 113 express bus stop is a two minute walk away. The 114 express bus stop is .5 miles (~9 minute walk) away.
  • Duplex. Our apartment consists of the second and third floors. We have new neighbors on the first level, and they seem friendly.
  • You'd be living with two male roommates, both of which are rising 3Ls. Great guys.
  • Dishwasher, washer & dryer are free and on-site.
  • Water and electricity are included in the rent.
  • Cool, responsive landlord who lives down the street with his own family.
  • Hardwood floors on the main (second) level, new carpeting on the third level.
  • Lots of windows.
  • Front balcony, back deck.
  • No infestation problems.
  • One bedroom on main level with a quasi-personal bathroom with claw-foot tub.
  • Two bedrooms on the third floor. Occupants share a bathroom.
  • Discuss bedroom options with the other tenants. Either one third level room or the main level room will be available.

Nearby:
  • The apartment is three blocks south of Lyndale & Lake St. (aka Uptown), an area with plenty of restaurants, bars, and clothing stores.
  • Distance from the heart of downtown Minneapolis: 3.2 miles.

    Groceries:
    • Rainbow Foods (.6 mi.) - Standard supermarket. Compares to Giant if you're from the Mid-Atlantic.
    • Lunds Marketplace (.8 mi.) - A notch above Rainbow Foods.
    • The Wedge Co-Op (1.2 mi.) - Local and organic foods, extensive bulk foods section.
    • Kowalski's (1.2 mi.) - Upscale groceries.
    • Whole Foods (2.2 mi.) - " "

    Parks and Recreation:
    • Lake Calhoun (approx. .94 mi.) - Beautiful lake. Running to it, around it, and returning home makes an enjoyable ~5 mile run. Lake Harriet and Lake of the Isles are adjacent to Calhoun.
    • Access to the Greenway (.7 mi.) - The Greenway is an east-west bicycle path that cuts across Minneapolis.

Please PM for further inquiries.
Last edited by badlydrawn on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoshi
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby yoshi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Can anyone tell me what Cedars 94 is like? The reviews online have not been positive.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby kjadkins » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 pm

yoshi wrote:Can anyone tell me what Cedars 94 is like? The reviews online have not been positive.


We live not too far from there, and from what I can tell it's not the best part of town... we walked over there going to the hardware store when we first moved in and just didn't get a good vibe from the neighborhood. I have a friend who is from Minneapolis and when we were looking at places we considered it, but she google-mapped it and said it's not a great neighborhood.

We live right across 94 in Karinsplass, it's in a much better neighborhood (actually slightly closer to the law school) and at a comparable price. PM me if you want more information. My boyfriend and I moved in in May and we've been really pleased so far.

ilovetosleep
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby ilovetosleep » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 am

Dear Class of 2014,

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Minnesota! I learned about this website for the first time this semester and thought I would offer to answer any questions you may have. I am a 2L from out of state who is fairly knowledgeable about the area. Please feel free to PM me questions or I will try to follow the discussion on this thread. Welcome and enjoy the rest of your summer!

User avatar
boozehound
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby boozehound » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:42 pm

ilovetosleep wrote:Dear Class of 2014,

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Minnesota! I learned about this website for the first time this semester and thought I would offer to answer any questions you may have. I am a 2L from out of state who is fairly knowledgeable about the area. Please feel free to PM me questions or I will try to follow the discussion on this thread. Welcome and enjoy the rest of your summer!


Where's a good place to go swimming? This heat is crazy! I thought this place was suppose to be cold.

ilovetosleep
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby ilovetosleep » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

boozehound wrote:
ilovetosleep wrote:Dear Class of 2014,

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Minnesota! I learned about this website for the first time this semester and thought I would offer to answer any questions you may have. I am a 2L from out of state who is fairly knowledgeable about the area. Please feel free to PM me questions or I will try to follow the discussion on this thread. Welcome and enjoy the rest of your summer!


Where's a good place to go swimming? This heat is crazy! I thought this place was suppose to be cold.


Apparently Minnesota weather does not understand the concept of moderation! I have heard that some of the lake's have public beaches. I am not sure about that, but look at Lake Calhoun. Trust me it will get very cold sooner than you would like!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby minnbills » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:23 pm

ilovetosleep wrote:
boozehound wrote:
ilovetosleep wrote:Dear Class of 2014,

Congratulations and welcome to the University of Minnesota! I learned about this website for the first time this semester and thought I would offer to answer any questions you may have. I am a 2L from out of state who is fairly knowledgeable about the area. Please feel free to PM me questions or I will try to follow the discussion on this thread. Welcome and enjoy the rest of your summer!


Where's a good place to go swimming? This heat is crazy! I thought this place was suppose to be cold.


Apparently Minnesota weather does not understand the concept of moderation! I have heard that some of the lake's have public beaches. I am not sure about that, but look at Lake Calhoun. Trust me it will get very cold sooner than you would like!


I'm not sure about Calhoun but Harriet has some nice public beaches. I would be really surprised if Calhoun didn't have any though.

And yeah the weather can get a bit extreme here, but for the most part it's pretty nice. I took a bike ride this morning, it was about 76 degrees, no clouds, with a nice breeze.

User avatar
weber35
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby weber35 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Calhoun's got a nice little public beach. You can also rent all sorts of fun stuff right there (kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, etc.). Check out the Tin Fish while you're in the area - great food and atmosphere.

clar
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Postby clar » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm

How many people are bringing cars and are planning on driving them to and from the school everyday?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest