University of Minnesota Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
kjadkins

Silver

University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Post by kjadkins » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:49 am

... Somebody had to do it :)

Can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

geoduck

Silver

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2014

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:57 am

First!

Just kidding. But yeah, I'm in. Saving getting into Columbia (lol), I'm going to become a Minnesotan next year! So how many other out of staters do we have here?
Last edited by geoduck on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 am

Sent in my seat deposit last week.

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 am

Out of Stater here!

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:17 am

Minnesota is one of my three finalists... so I might be another out-of-stater joining you all :)

One thing that kind of perplexes me is how some students supposedly get by without cars. As a city-dweller, I am plenty familiar with this concept. I myself am a non-driver. But do you mean to tell me that when it gets to -400 degrees, people really stand around waiting for buses? And how about the snow? When it snows here, public transit goes into the tank. Does public transit manage to run relatively efficiently throughout the massive snowfall in the Twin Cities?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 am

fakemoney wrote:Minnesota is one of my three finalists... so I might be another out-of-stater joining you all :)

One thing that kind of perplexes me is how some students supposedly get by without cars. As a city-dweller, I am plenty familiar with this concept. I myself am a non-driver. But do you mean to tell me that when it gets to -400 degrees, people really stand around waiting for buses? And how about the snow? When it snows here, public transit goes into the tank. Does public transit manage to run relatively efficiently throughout the massive snowfall in the Twin Cities?
From what I've been told, the transit has totally adapted to the weather. Really, I'd be surprised if it hadn't. Seattle shuts down if we get an inch, but we get it about once a year. If your city averages a foot a month for at least three months... You'd never get any work done if you didn't adapt. I'm lamenting having to trade in my fashionable but not very warm coats for actual cold weather gear, but we've all gotta make sacrifices :D

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:29 am

sparcarc wrote:Out of Stater here!
+1

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 am

sparcarc wrote:Out of Stater here!
+ 1. And I'm ABSOLUTELY terrified of the Minneapolis winter!

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 am

+ 1. And I'm ABSOLUTELY terrified of the Minneapolis winter!
Haha me too.. Fortunately I was in one of the northern states during college but nonetheless, that's why I am scared even more because I know how cold it can be! Are you from one of the warmer states?

+1
I see you went to W&M, I was in VA 'til high school haha. Good to see a VA-ian!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:42 am

+1
I see you went to W&M, I was in VA 'til high school haha. Good to see a VA-ian![/quote]

Yes indeed :) Virginian born and bred.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am

I've been through brutal winters -- temperatures in the teens, blizzards, ice, etc.. but I can't even conceive of what -20 feels like. Geez.

tinlawman

New

Post by tinlawman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Another out of stater. From Los Angeles, go to school in Pittsburgh, and not too concerned about the weather. I went to my first class here today in shorts (woke up 4 minutes before class started :)).

Regarding the car, is it easy to install a remote starter to it? I'm thinking about buying a used crown vic police cruiser when I get to UMN.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Looks like they're predicting snow for Friday, so we may just get our first taste of the winter at the ASW! Though it's only supposed to be like 38, so that's not so bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FourOnTheFloor

New

Post by FourOnTheFloor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm

I'm about 99% sure I'll be attending here next year. I'm riding out the waitlist at Michigan, but don't really expect to get in. Coming from MI, I'm not too concerned about the weather. It's colder in Minnesota, but not by that much, and I figure I'll get a couple more months out of the year to (try to) play hockey. ;) Besides, I'd rather live somewhere that gets bitterly cold in the winter than somewhere that gets unbearably hot in the summer.

I'm pretty stoked for the ASW. I haven't been to Minneapolis in about 15 years, so it'll seem brand new to me. Plus it's the only school I'll be checking out, since getting accepted here eliminated most of the other schools I applied to. Bring on the free food and drinks. :D

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 am

FourOnTheFloor wrote:I'm about 99% sure I'll be attending here next year. I'm riding out the waitlist at Michigan, but don't really expect to get in. Coming from MI, I'm not too concerned about the weather. It's colder in Minnesota, but not by that much, and I figure I'll get a couple more months out of the year to (try to) play hockey. ;) Besides, I'd rather live somewhere that gets bitterly cold in the winter than somewhere that gets unbearably hot in the summer.

I'm pretty stoked for the ASW. I haven't been to Minneapolis in about 15 years, so it'll seem brand new to me. Plus it's the only school I'll be checking out, since getting accepted here eliminated most of the other schools I applied to. Bring on the free food and drinks. :D
Their ASW was fantastic, it really helped seal the deal for me. I'm not sure about the April session, but at the March ASW we got to sit in on two classes, I really felt like that helped me get a feel for what an actual day would be like as a student there. I liked the law school building a lot, and I LOVED Minneapolis.

weber35

New

Post by weber35 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Out of state as well, although I'm certainly used to the winters (coming from South Dakota). Woke up this morning with another batch of snow on the ground. Looking forward to ASW - see you all there.

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Also possibly coming from Michigan. Looking at UIUC, WUSTL, and UMN. Hopefully this weekend will help me make a decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tessakate6

New

Post by tessakate6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 am

I will be joining you all in the fall as well.

As for the ridiculous Minnesota winters, take it from a local, buy a heavy coat and you will be fine. Most of the Cities can be accessed through skyways or the very efficient bus system.

tinlawman

New

Post by tinlawman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 pm

I looked through the UMN site and was looking at recreation facilities and they all seem really cool. It's like $60/year or semester (not sure) and they have a bunch of racquetball, squash, and basketball courts. Unfortunately they are all on the other side of the river. Does anyone know if it's easy to get over there without a car? Maybe we could start like a racquetball and/or basketball group or something like that.

Also, for those that went to the ASW, what did you guys think of the actual law building. Did it seem like the stuff inside was newish, or kind of falling apart?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 pm

tinlawman wrote:I looked through the UMN site and was looking at recreation facilities and they all seem really cool. It's like $60/year or semester (not sure) and they have a bunch of racquetball, squash, and basketball courts. Unfortunately they are all on the other side of the river. Does anyone know if it's easy to get over there without a car? Maybe we could start like a racquetball and/or basketball group or something like that.

Also, for those that went to the ASW, what did you guys think of the actual law building. Did it seem like the stuff inside was newish, or kind of falling apart?
There is a walking bridge on campus that crosses the river. So the water isn't a problem, just general distance.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Probably attending UMN in the fall and going to ASW this weekend. I would be down for a racquetball club and am looking to keep in touch with people regarding housing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

weber35

New

Post by weber35 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Where does everyone plan on living?

I'm setting up a few apartment tours for Saturday afternoon, mostly to get a sense of particular areas. I'm currently looking at Uptown, Loring Park, and the Warehouse District. Does anyone have any experience with them? Apparently Uptown has a nice express bus that runs to campus, but it sure looks far on a map. Would rather not have a long daily commute, although the Seven's Corner area is slightly sketchy and baren.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Anyone want to setup anything for thursday night ? I will be in Thursday afternoon staying at the Millenium downtown, no car though.

tinlawman

New

Post by tinlawman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:36 pm

weber35 wrote:Where does everyone plan on living?

I'm setting up a few apartment tours for Saturday afternoon, mostly to get a sense of particular areas. I'm currently looking at Uptown, Loring Park, and the Warehouse District. Does anyone have any experience with them? Apparently Uptown has a nice express bus that runs to campus, but it sure looks far on a map. Would rather not have a long daily commute, although the Seven's Corner area is slightly sketchy and baren.
I think a lot of 1Ls live in the Seven Corner area, but when their lease is up for that year, they get the hell outta there. I'm not sure whether they decide to live there during the 1st year just because that's where a lot of other 1Ls are living or if they just don't what it's like, but from what I understand, most people don't stay there past the first year.

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:17 pm

tinlawman wrote:
weber35 wrote:Where does everyone plan on living?

I think a lot of 1Ls live in the Seven Corner area, but when their lease is up for that year, they get the hell outta there. I'm not sure whether they decide to live there during the 1st year just because that's where a lot of other 1Ls are living or if they just don't what it's like, but from what I understand, most people don't stay there past the first year.
A student emailed me a couple of weeks ago to see if I had any questions and I asked where I should live. She STRONGLY recommended living in Seven Corners area as close to the law school as possible, just because we'll probably have so many long days and late nights studying she said it's terrible having to commute on top of that. Parking by the law school is also super expensive, according to my tour guide from ASW the closest garage (or as they like to call it, "ramp") is $100 per month, so living within walking distance would be a plus.

I'm looking at several places in that part of town (all <1 mile from the law school) but haven't had much luck yet. Very few places are opening up in May. But I'm sure people looking to move in August will have an easier time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”