Temple Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 pm

arvcondor wrote: Speaking of which, I'm open to looking for places with other TLSers.


GUNNERS UNITE!

arvcondor wrote: I'm totally fucking awesome and not sociopathic...


But isn't that exactly what a sociopath would say??? I'm on to you condor...

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 pm

I was admitted off the waitlist and I am trying to get an idea of where to live. I have searched these boards but I am mostly finding areas that are not right next to the school. Are there any areas immediately surrounding Temple that are good/safe/law student friendly to live? What about student housing? Is it really that bad? I was thinking of living in Center City which according to mapquest is only a 10 minute subway ride from Erie station. That’s the best I’ve seen so far, thoughts? I want to live as close to campus as possible but I want to be safe of course :) Thanks!

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 am

Peace of Mind wrote:I was admitted off the waitlist and I am trying to get an idea of where to live. I have searched these boards but I am mostly finding areas that are not right next to the school. Are there any areas immediately surrounding Temple that are good/safe/law student friendly to live? What about student housing? Is it really that bad? I was thinking of living in Center City which according to mapquest is only a 10 minute subway ride from Erie station. That’s the best I’ve seen so far, thoughts? I want to live as close to campus as possible but I want to be safe of course :) Thanks!

The Temple campus is no more unsafe than any other given area of the city, and is safer in many ways. Just search "Temple" on craigslist and you'll find loads of listings.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 am

x7227 wrote:
arvcondor wrote: Speaking of which, I'm open to looking for places with other TLSers.


GUNNERS UNITE!

I figure that living with a few other TLSers will create an environment in which beratement is ever looming and thus I'll have no options but to constantly work.

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:I was admitted off the waitlist and I am trying to get an idea of where to live. I have searched these boards but I am mostly finding areas that are not right next to the school. Are there any areas immediately surrounding Temple that are good/safe/law student friendly to live? What about student housing? Is it really that bad? I was thinking of living in Center City which according to mapquest is only a 10 minute subway ride from Erie station. That’s the best I’ve seen so far, thoughts? I want to live as close to campus as possible but I want to be safe of course :) Thanks!


First of all congrats on your admission!

The area immediately surrounding Temple is nice. You still have to take the normal precautions, watch your surroundings ect. The further away from the campus you get, its can be a little sketchy (which is for me, that might be uber-sketch for others). If the apartment you found is located at erie station, that's really north philly and I would not recommend it at all (the law school is 30 feet from the Cecil B. Moore Broad street stop if you thought you got off the subway at Erie).

Center City is great, but expensive for what you get. The loft district is really nice too (still kind of expensive but a lot more bang for your buck). If you dont mind a subway transfer (its free) you can live in old city (again expensive but a great mix of historic charm and great nightlife) or University City (with Penn and Drexel students). Northern Liberties is one of the fastest growing parts of the city. Lots of young people, great food and bars, and its within biking distance of the school. Finally there's the art museum area which is a lot of young professional families, but its a decent bike ride to campus (or there's bus transportation too).

I think that's about the best I can do for now, but feel free to PM me with specific questions.

(I'm starting to feel like the real estate agent for Philly on these boards :lol: ).

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 pm

arvcondor wrote:
x7227 wrote:
arvcondor wrote: Speaking of which, I'm open to looking for places with other TLSers.


GUNNERS UNITE!

I figure that living with a few other TLSers will create an environment in which beratement is ever looming and thus I'll have no options but to constantly work.


How I envision living with other TLSers based on your vision...

http://youtu.be/LH62Jd5qCj0

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Fri May 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Any females looking for a roommate?

I'm leaning towards center city right by city hall, rent for a two bedroom is around $2,000 for the ones I am looking at. I am open to nice apartments close to campus as well.

These are the places I have found so far just from internet searches (prices range widely):

The Versailles
1530 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

257 Apartments
257 South 16th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

The Metropolitan
117 North 15th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

1518 spruce street philadelphia‏, pa 19102
http://www.reinholdresidential.com/sprucest/


Packard Motor Car Building
317 North Broad St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
http://www.reinholdresidential.com/packard/

Al Shapiro Apartments
1530 Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
--LinkRemoved--

1311 N 15th Street‏, Philadelphia, PA
--LinkRemoved--




--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:stuff

Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:1311 N 15th Street‏, Philadelphia, PA
--LinkRemoved--


I walked around Temple today just to get a feel for some of the places I was looking at....this was one of them. South of Jefferson the neighborhood started turning quick (at least that was my observation). The apartments, modules was right up the street, look nice enough peering in, but I crossed it off my list when two groups started yelling at each other across the street (completely random occurrence, but still...)

As for your other choices, the Packard building has some really nice apts, but its pricey. I think I've got a nice place lined up right near there in the loft district for 1L. Its really an up and coming neighborhood, imo.

The Versailles, 257 apartments, Al Shapiro and 1518 spruce are all in the rittenhouse square area and just a lot of fun to be around (again but pricey for what you get).

The metropolitan is sorta in an in-between neighborhood that was mostly offices 10 years ago, but is slowly becoming a bridge between the loft district and CC...I know absolutely nothing about it, but its not a bad neighborhood at all

arvcondor wrote:Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.


Be nice...she's entitled to spend her money the way she wants to. I don't critique your crippling addiction to kiwis (at least I think that's a kiwi...that would be the weirdest condor I've ever seen). And if she splits it, its 1000/mo, which really isn't all that terrible (and she should be negotiating these rates down...a lot). Heck I'm paying more than I should to live by myself for 1L just to make sure I don't go 3/3 on bat-shit crazy roommates. However, the only thing I'm using my apartment for 1L is sleeping, eating, and maybe building a little fort...so I didn't go too crazy.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 pm

x7227 wrote:
arvcondor wrote:Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.


Be nice...she's entitled to spend her money the way she wants to. I don't critique your crippling addiction to kiwis (at least I think that's a kiwi...that would be the weirdest condor I've ever seen). And if she splits it, its 1000/mo, which really isn't all that terrible (and she should be negotiating these rates down...a lot). Heck I'm paying more than I should to live by myself for 1L just to make sure I don't go 3/3 on bat-shit crazy roommates. However, the only thing I'm using my apartment for 1L is sleeping, eating, and maybe building a little fort...so I didn't go too crazy.
I wasn't being mean (or at least not trying to be), but I think much of TLS is getting people to reevaluate their decisions so they don't make bad ones. When I asked if someone was paying her rent, I wasn't doing it spitefully. If they are, then go for it; live it up. If not, it might be a good idea to reconsider.

And yes, it is most definitely a kiwi.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Sat May 14, 2011 5:18 am

arvcondor wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:stuff

Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.


No one is paying my rent but me. I have very little debt from undergrad and I thought for my first year of law school it would be a good investment to live in a nice safe area even if it is a little pricey. Coming from California where rent for an apartment smaller than these and with less amenities are twice that at least in LA I didn't think $1,000 a month was too much, I thought that was reasonable for such a nice place. When I was doing my apartment search today I was looking for places that were at most 15 minutes(prefer 10 minutes) from the law school(mainly by subway) and these are the places I found. My biggest concern with an apartment is distance time wise because I do not want to commute. I worked full time in undergrad and commuted which is something I do not want to do in 1L; I don't want commuting to hurt my studies. After reading these forums I keep finding that anywhere close to the school is either ridden with undergrads or dangerous and these are things I'd prefer to avoid. I have also read that center city is a good option as well as rittenhouse square, but I know nothing about renting in Philly, the internet is the best I can do for now. While doing my search I read reviews on apartments as well and these are the ones that I did not find too many negative reviews on. If there are apartments close to the school and are less expensive I'd love to hear about them. I'm generally a frugal person but when it comes to housing in a city where I know no one and my family is on the opposite side of the country I think security and peace of mind(I know that's my username :) ) is worth the expense or at the very least consideration.

Like I said, If there are any natives that can help me out with a less expensive apartment I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! :mrgreen: If I can spend less and get a quality place within 10-15 minutes of campus I'm all for it.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 am

x7227 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:1311 N 15th Street‏, Philadelphia, PA
--LinkRemoved--


I walked around Temple today just to get a feel for some of the places I was looking at....this was one of them. South of Jefferson the neighborhood started turning quick (at least that was my observation). The apartments, modules was right up the street, look nice enough peering in, but I crossed it off my list when two groups started yelling at each other across the street (completely random occurrence, but still...)

As for your other choices, the Packard building has some really nice apts, but its pricey. I think I've got a nice place lined up right near there in the loft district for 1L. Its really an up and coming neighborhood, imo.

The Versailles, 257 apartments, Al Shapiro and 1518 spruce are all in the rittenhouse square area and just a lot of fun to be around (again but pricey for what you get).

The metropolitan is sorta in an in-between neighborhood that was mostly offices 10 years ago, but is slowly becoming a bridge between the loft district and CC...I know absolutely nothing about it, but its not a bad neighborhood at all

arvcondor wrote:Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.


Be nice...she's entitled to spend her money the way she wants to. I don't critique your crippling addiction to kiwis (at least I think that's a kiwi...that would be the weirdest condor I've ever seen). And if she splits it, its 1000/mo, which really isn't all that terrible (and she should be negotiating these rates down...a lot). Heck I'm paying more than I should to live by myself for 1L just to make sure I don't go 3/3 on bat-shit crazy roommates. However, the only thing I'm using my apartment for 1L is sleeping, eating, and maybe building a little fort...so I didn't go too crazy.


Good to know about south of Jefferson. Thanks!
I know the ones listed are more expensive than some others I found, but the cheapest I could find was $700 and have horrible reviews.
The Versailles, 257 apartments, Al Shapiro and 1518 spruce: when you say pricey for what you get... can you elaborate? The websites made them seem awesome... then again that is the point of a website so who knows...

Can you really negotiate the rent down??? I have never heard of that, I don't think that'd fly out here. You;d be laughed out of the property management office.

Where would you reccommend I live?

I love that stuffed animal Hobbs by the way... awesome!

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Sat May 14, 2011 11:14 am

Peace of Mind wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:stuff

Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.

other stuff

You can definitely find an apartment closer to Temple than Center City in lovely neighborhoods without dropping a grand in rent. Even Northern Liberties, which is one of the more upscale areas, would be more affordable for a two-bedroom.

And to reiterate, the area immediately around Temple is safe as can be.

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby thwalls » Sat May 14, 2011 11:24 am

I just finished my 1L year in the evening division. So I guess I should be welcoming you folks to the class of 2014. I hope you guys get Rahdert for Torts, the guy rules.

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Sat May 14, 2011 11:34 am

arvcondor wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:stuff

Is there someone paying your rent for you or something? If not, I'd really advise staying away from pricey Center City apartments while in 1L.

other stuff

You can definitely find an apartment closer to Temple than Center City in lovely neighborhoods without dropping a grand in rent. Even Northern Liberties, which is one of the more upscale areas, would be more affordable for a two-bedroom.

And to reiterate, the area immediately around Temple is safe as can be.


Thanks! Can you recommend any apartments specifically? I'll check that.neighborhood out. Do you think i should just try to arrange a trip to philly to apartment hunt?

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Sat May 14, 2011 11:42 am

Peace of Mind wrote:Thanks! Can you recommend any apartments specifically? I'll check that.neighborhood out. Do you think i should just try to arrange a trip to philly to apartment hunt?


I can't really recommend too many specific buildings other than directing you to some of the renovated factories-cum-lofts. Check out the soap factory, the cigar factory, and whatever other apartments with "factory" you can find. (They all really were those things at one point.)

Aside from that, just check out a Google map of the city and see which neighborhoods are nearby. You'll mostly find areas like NoLibs, Fairmount, Temple area and some of the apartments on Spring Garden Street to be close to the school and nice/affordable. If you can do a trip, by all means do so. I wouldn't really put a deposit down on a place on spec, so make sure you at least see that the walls aren't brown with house centipedes before you rent. And yeah, those things exist, and they're horrifying, and they're rampant in the city. In fact, here they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata.

I'll just put out there to you and anyone else who isn't familiar with the city: If you're making a trip over here or are getting settled in for school, don't hesitate to PM me and meet up. I'm always happy to show people around Philly, similarly to how a 60-year-old is excited to play Dark Side of the Moon to a teenager for the first time.

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby oreo3405 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:16 pm

thwalls wrote:I just finished my 1L year in the evening division. So I guess I should be welcoming you folks to the class of 2014. I hope you guys get Rahdert for Torts, the guy rules.


how did you like the evening division?

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby thwalls » Sat May 14, 2011 6:51 pm

oreo3405 wrote:
thwalls wrote:I just finished my 1L year in the evening division. So I guess I should be welcoming you folks to the class of 2014. I hope you guys get Rahdert for Torts, the guy rules.


how did you like the evening division?


Love it. The people are great and the course selection is darn near identical to the day offerings. Not looking forward to Con Law next semester though.

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:...when you say pricey for what you get... can you elaborate?


Just on the whole: a smaller apt for more money. Plus a lot of those apts highlight their "gym" and "pool" (ect.) amenities which are usually pretty crappy on the whole and not something you should be factoring into your decision (but you're still paying for them every single month).

Can you really negotiate the rent down??? I have never heard of that, I don't think that'd fly out here. You;d be laughed out of the property management office.


I dunno where "out here" is, but unless its mars, you're never going to be laughed out of a property management office, or car dealership, heck almost anything is negotiable if you know how to do it. The worst that happens is a polite no, and they'll still take your money every month if you want to give it to them at full price. I don't think I've ever paid asking price for an apt...ever. You just have to realize you have something they want, namely your money and presence. They have a mortgage too, every month that they don't have a tenant in that apt is a lost opportunity to them and money out of their pocket. Especially if you're signing a year-long lease, you have a lot of leverage to try and push that price down (because hey, they'd rather give you a month of free rent and have you guarantee at least 11 more months of steady income). If you're just as likely to walk down the street to a competing apartment complex, and they need to fill that space, the price can get very elastic. You just have to reach that point where its a good deal for you and a good one for them too, and not a good deal for you and a great deal for them.

Where would you reccommend I live?


Well since I've known you for all of 5 or so comments, I feel like I can make a pretty good assessment of the type of person that you are and exactly where you should live! :P Seriously though, if you dont mind a morning walk or bike ride, live in NoLibs or the art museum. If convenience and a quick subway ride is your thing, live in the gayborhood, the loft district or rittenhouse (more expensive than the gayborhood). If you want to have some great nightlife and you don't mind a subway transfer each-way (its free), live in old city or to a lesser extent University City. And if you want to wake up each morning, hop out of bed, hopefully shower, and roll to class, live around temple.
Peace of Mind wrote:
arvcondor wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
Do you think i should just try to arrange a trip to philly to apartment hunt?


Absolutely! Philly is a great city to visit, and you might as well make sure of the apartment you're getting for 1L. See some apartments, visit the fantastic museums (if that's your thing, we have some of the best in the world, though you wont get another chance to see them for at least 3 years :P), catch a Phillies game...make a trip out of it!

And to reiterate, the area immediately around Temple is safe as can be.


In general I agree with you, but I'd caution that you have to take the normal precautions of a large city. Heck there was a shooting at Camac and Susquehanna (very north end of campus) where a kid was killed in broad daylight during an attempted robbery just this week.

Do I feel safe going to school there? Absolutely! Do I feel safe enough to not monitor my surroundings while I'm on campus? No way... But I do the same when I'm in center city or rittenhouse square, so take that for what its worth.

I love that stuffed animal Hobbs by the way... awesome!


Stuffed? I don't know what you're talking about... Hobbes is a ferocious tiger! Who just happens to love tuna-fish sandwiches, as do all tigers....tigers will do anything for a tuna-fish sandwich!

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 1:47 pm

arvcondor wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:Thanks! Can you recommend any apartments specifically? I'll check that.neighborhood out. Do you think i should just try to arrange a trip to philly to apartment hunt?


I can't really recommend too many specific buildings other than directing you to some of the renovated factories-cum-lofts. Check out the soap factory, the cigar factory, and whatever other apartments with "factory" you can find. (They all really were those things at one point.)

Aside from that, just check out a Google map of the city and see which neighborhoods are nearby. You'll mostly find areas like NoLibs, Fairmount, Temple area and some of the apartments on Spring Garden Street to be close to the school and nice/affordable. If you can do a trip, by all means do so. I wouldn't really put a deposit down on a place on spec, so make sure you at least see that the walls aren't brown with house centipedes before you rent. And yeah, those things exist, and they're horrifying, and they're rampant in the city. In fact, here they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata.

I'll just put out there to you and anyone else who isn't familiar with the city: If you're making a trip over here or are getting settled in for school, don't hesitate to PM me and meet up. I'm always happy to show people around Philly, similarly to how a 60-year-old is excited to play Dark Side of the Moon to a teenager for the first time.


Thank you!
I actually found some places in old facotries but i didn't know what to think about them, I do feel like you get a lot for your buck though.

I'll do the google search, thanks and those centipedes are disturbing. How would I know if the apartment had house centipedes in them unless I saw one run across the floor? lol Any places you would say definitely AVOID? that might even be more important than suggestions on where to live now that i think about it.

If I make a trip out there I'll definitely take you up on that offer, thanks!

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun May 15, 2011 2:06 pm

x7227 wrote:that stuffed animal Hobbs by the way... awesome!
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Stuffed? I don't know what you're talking about... Hobbes is a ferocious tiger! Who just happens to love tuna-fish sandwiches, as do all tigers....tigers will do anything for a tuna-fish sandwich![/quote]

Thanks, I'll definitely try to negotiate for a lower rent. :)

I'll have to check out those neighborhoods and see what I can find.

I have been to Philly once and absolutely loved it, I'm into American history so seeing everything I've read about in person was an experience to say the least. I didn't get a chance to make it to the museums but I'll definitely make it a point to visit them while out there.

I have enough common sense to be aware of my surroundings and not go down an alleyway at night alone or really walk around at night alone, I'll spend the money on a cab if i need too.

Tigers like cinnamon too... don't forget that :)

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:15 am

Peace of Mind wrote:Tigers like cinnamon too... don't forget that :)


Tigers LOVE pepper. They HATE cinnamon! :lol:

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 16, 2011 10:21 am

x7227 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:Tigers like cinnamon too... don't forget that :)


Tigers LOVE pepper. They HATE cinnamon! :lol:


Oh yeah!! My bad! I Mixed it up in my head lol

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby voltage88 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:05 am

Does anyone know about cross disciplinary studies at Temple? Are law students allowed to take courses in other departments like polisci, history, sociology, etc etc?

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Mon May 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I don't think so. I know you can get dual degrees, but I don't think that classes anywhere besides the business school are cross-listed with the law school.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest