Temple Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Peace of Mind

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Justathought wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:Not being from philly... what would you say you like the most about temple?

I wanted to go to a school which was highly regarded in its region. Temple is beloved in Philadelphia(obviously a major city), and only second to Penn, which as has been discussed here ad nauseam, sends most of its grads to other markets.

The cost was right

Finally, the city of Philadelphia is pretty darn great. I was not expecting to be impressed. However, it has a lot to offer - much more than a law student will have time to enjoy. There is world class dining, art, amazing history, pro sports galore, and that "big city" feel. Oh yeah, and its cheap - like half the price of NYC.

+1 to all of the above

I'm really interested in their trial advocacy program and I am hoping it lives up to the hype :)

What area of law are you interested in? Or are you just going to wait and see what sparks your interest while you're there?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
What area of law are you interested in? Or are you just going to wait and see what sparks your interest while you're there?

Well I would say right now I lean more toward transactional law. My background is in real estate development and construction, so I wouldn't mind working on transactional issues related to either one of those related fields. I'm open though, and could see myself working in almost any transactional based setting.

With that in mind, I also want to tailor my studies to the law firms of Philadelphia. I've heard the city can be litigation heavy, and if that's where most of the opportunities can be found I would also be happy to work as a corporate litigator.

I'm sure I'll be bothering the office of career services quite a bit as I plot a course of action.

As an aside - I wouldn't mind working in one of the armed services JAG corps. Seems like interesting work for a new lawyer, and I can already do the required amount of push ups! :lol:

What about you? Any specific areas of practice which have peaked your interest?

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Justathought wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:

Well I would say right now I lean more toward transactional law. My background is in real estate development and construction, so I wouldn't mind working on transactional issues related to either one of those related fields. I'm open though, and could see myself working in almost any transactional based setting.

With that in mind, I also want to tailor my studies to the law firms of Philadelphia. I've heard the city can be litigation heavy, and if that's where most of the opportunities can be found I would also be happy to work as a corporate litigator.

I'm sure I'll be bothering the office of career services quite a bit as I plot a course of action.

As an aside - I wouldn't mind working in one of the armed services JAG corps. Seems like interesting work for a new lawyer, and I can already do the required amount of push ups! :lol:

What about you? Any specific areas of practice which have peaked your interest?

I want to work for the DA, some sort of Public Interest Organization or Homeland Security in the sex trafficking arena. I'll PM you with more specifics, anyone who knows me IRL will know who I am if I post certain things since it's all I have ever wanted to do lol

I know I want to do litigation(no interest in corporate transaction) and I want to be in a courtroom as much as possible as quickly as possible. Even though I know in JAG you get courtroom experience almost immediately I would never work for the military (no matter how much i love A Few Good Men). The litigation focus is what really made me excited about Temple.

I'll probably set up camp in the career services office...

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:31 am

If you're interested in trial ad go for it. Program is EXCELLENT and the people I know who did it loved it.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 am

My copy of Getting to Maybe arrived yesterday. I'm really enjoying it, so far. Also, I may have bought a few of the E&Es. :oops:

Hopefully a little 0L prep will make things easier when class starts, but if not, at least I know that I didn't forgo any opportunities.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 am

Justathought wrote:My copy of Getting to Maybe arrived yesterday. I'm really enjoying it, so far. Also, I may have bought a few of the E&Es. :oops:

Hopefully a little 0L prep will make things easier when class starts, but if not, at least I know that I didn't forgo any opportunities.

Nice. Nothing better than a little 0L prep.

Btw, the two gentlemen on the Facebook page who also post here (you know who you are) that are scaring our fellow classmates with employment statistics and the like...can we not do that in the future? I want people to be relaxed during 1L...not panicked about job prospects and getting all cut-throat! I just want calm, composed classmates that aren't constantly freaking out about how they won't be getting a job...at least for 1L...please?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:18 pm

I thought my post was positive. In fact, while not sugar coating the situation, I went out of my way to say its bad out there for everyone, but Temple is in a relatively strong position compared to peer schools. I even talked about increased SA class sizes man! :o

Edit: But just to be safe x7227, I'll ramp up my optimism. :wink:

x7227

Postby x7227 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Justathought wrote:I thought my post was positive. In fact, while not sugar coating the situation, I went out of my way to say its bad out there for everyone, but Temple is in a relatively strong position compared to peer schools. I even talked about increased SA class sizes man! :o

Edit: But just to be safe x7227, I'll ramp up my optimism. :wink:

Haha I wasn't so much referring to you as our avian compatriot. Everything you guys said is absolutely 100% true...but you're under no obligation to reveal it and panic people...its like crying "fire!" in a crowded theater...or "job!" during OCI. Just keep things saccharin sweet for at least the first semester...sugar coat the crap out of it in fact. I don't want a school full of gunners. A few TLS gunners is perfectly cool...heck, I might have a little gunner in me if the situation calls for it. My entire section filled with gunners desperately gunning as if their professional careers depend on it? Shoot me now...

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:55 am

x7227, when you read facebook today, just remember that, as a future lawyer, I have a hard time not defending my position. Have mercy on me, please. :lol:

x7227

Postby x7227 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 am

Justathought wrote:x7227, when you read facebook today, just remember that, as a future lawyer, I have a hard time not defending my position. Have mercy on me, please. :lol:

>rocking myself in the corner of my room, muttering over and over, "The horror....The horror...Too many gunners...Too many gunners..."<

:cry:

Seriously though, you guys are both completely right...I just want to keep TLS on TLS. This site should be like a sanctuary (insane asylum or leper colony perhaps are better terms? :lol:) where our classmates can always seek TLS knowledge/opinions out in the relative safety of a confined space. However, I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't take TLS outside TLS, lest it lose its context and become something that is not. Think of it like the holy grail in Indiana Jones...don't cross the seal with the grail and you'll be fine.

All that being said, I can completely understand defending your position when challenged...it happened to me over in the "unethical practices at case" thread where the OP wanted to know if something Case did was unethical and we gently told OP that it was not, in fact, unethical (it sucked but it wasn't unethical). When OP (and others) doubled down on the claims, I just slammed them as not properly understanding the term "unethical". Not my proudest moment (it wasn't a fair fight since, you know, facts were on my side). I should have just left it alone and wished them the best... but they were just so clearly wrong, and I was so clearly right! :lol:

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm

x7227 wrote:
Justathought wrote:x7227, when you read facebook today, just remember that, as a future lawyer, I have a hard time not defending my position. Have mercy on me, please. :lol:

>rocking myself in the corner of my room, muttering over and over, "The horror....The horror...Too many gunners...Too many gunners..."<

Seriously though, you guys are both completely right...I just want to keep TLS on TLS. This site should be like a sanctuary (insane asylum or leper colony perhaps are better terms? :lol:) where our classmates can always seek TLS knowledge/opinions out in the relative safety of a confined space. However, I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't take TLS outside TLS, lest it lose its context and become something that is not. Think of it like the holy grail in Indiana Jones...don't cross the seal with the grail and you'll be fine.

I agree 100%. That job prospects thread on Facebook may not die, but it will not live on through my contribution. From now on, its all rainbows and unicorns on my end. TLS is the place for folk twisted individuals, such as ourselves.

And Peace of Mind, stop scaring the girls with your relentless study habits! :wink:

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 am

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:

I agree 100%. That job prospects thread on Facebook may not die, but it will not live on through my contribution. From now on, its all rainbows and unicorns on my end. TLS is the place for folk twisted individuals, such as ourselves.

And Peace of Mind, stop scaring the girls with your relentless study habits! :wink:

Haha all part of my plan to jedi mind trick them and take my rightful place at the top of the class muahahahahahahahahahaha :twisted:

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:24 pm

I didn't meant to be annoyingly pessimistic or gunner-ish, but I think that broaching the pains of the legal industry has been a tense element of the Facebook group since it opened. And once the subject was brought up, I just thought it relevant, in the context of the comment I replied to, to remember that we're not going to NYU and that expectations should be reasonable. But x7227, you're right, TLS should remain an isolated world and shouldn't bleed into Facebook (or any other part of life, ever). So, sorry if I came off as dickish.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:56 pm

arvcondor wrote:I didn't meant to be annoyingly pessimistic or gunner-ish, but I think that broaching the pains of the legal industry has been a tense element of the Facebook group since it opened. And once the subject was brought up, I just thought it relevant, in the context of the comment I replied to, to remember that we're not going to NYU and that expectations should be reasonable. But x7227, you're right, TLS should remain an isolated world and shouldn't bleed into Facebook (or any other part of life, ever). So, sorry if I came off as dickish.

You absolutely were not being dickish... Everything you said was 100% completely true. Giving people a full blast of tls is just like trying to explain quantum mechanics to a literature major... If they haven't had all the preparatory work to prepare their brains... They might just go a little crazy... Unfortunately crazy for law students tends to result in a bad case of gunneritis.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:09 pm

And we can all agree that we don't need gunners.

I'll be back later; working on my Torts outline.

Kidding!

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Justathought wrote:And we can all agree that we don't need gunners.

Kidding!

You mean you havnt finished yours yet?! Slacker!! ;)

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:You mean you havnt finished yours yet?! Slacker!! ;)

On a serious note, I did finish GTM today. Like most others, I highly recommend. Its nothing groundbreaking, but I think it gives some good insight into what a professor hopes to see in an exam. I'll likely reread at some point in the semester, because I think having some knowledge about the material will allow me to extract a bit more from the text. However, I do think its worth reading before the semester starts; I think it enables a student to approach his or her studies from the right path on day one.

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Justathought wrote:

On a serious note, I did finish GTM today. Like most others, I highly recommend. Its nothing groundbreaking, but I think it gives some good insight into what a professor hopes to see in an exam. I'll likely reread at some point in the semester, because I think having some knowledge about the material will allow me to extract a bit more from the text. However, I do think its worth reading before the semester starts; I think it enables a student to approach his or her studies from the right path on day one.

I'm actually in the middle of reading that and am finding it very insightful. Im also reading "Law School Confidential" which is not bad either. For me, its helpful reading different accounts on the multifaceted parts to law school (Exams, Atmosphere, etc). I guess that could stress some people out, but i like seeing how others (realistically) went into LS, how they felt, how they changed etc.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 am

Justathought wrote:

I'm currently reading GTM and I find it exremely useful. I will be reading it once school starts too; I think it will make even more sense then. :)

x7227

Postby x7227 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
Justathought wrote:And we can all agree that we don't need gunners.

Kidding!

You mean you havnt finished yours yet?! Slacker!! ;)

I was gonna go to the whole meetup thing on Wednesday...but now I'm thinking, "hey, if you have some free time to make friends and drink, why aren't you outlining?!" :lol:

Speaking of which, who is gonna be @ there on Wednesday? We gotta decide on the super-secret TLS handshake to know how to identify each other!

Here is my suggestion:

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 am

Can't make this one guys, but I'll be at one(or more) of the events later in the summer. After July 1st I'll have a place to crash if need be, and I'll be moved into the area full time around August 1st.

Sorry to miss this event, since it looks like there will be an incredible turnout. Next time.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 am

Instead of a handshake, I think we should just dress up as our avatars.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Have any of you (by which I mean the three other people still talking in this thread) cracked open Law School Confidential? If so, did you become totally fucking despondent after the first chapter? Not that law-school-as-life-force-succubus was totally new to me, but I think it was the first time it was put in such extreme terms.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 pm

arvcondor wrote:Have any of you (by which I mean the three other people still talking in this thread) cracked open Law School Confidential? If so, did you become totally fucking despondent after the first chapter? Not that law-school-as-life-force-succubus was totally new to me, but I think it was the first time it was put in such extreme terms.

I read it. I was prepped for it. I dunno, I'm in a slightly different position as some of the people right out of college (3yrs working as a paralegal in a couple different practice areas). I feel like I've already got no life outside of the legal field already, law school won't be too much different (and I already have a good foundation in applying fact to law).

Btw you cannot preempt my jokes! (these are the sort of TLS-facebook interactions that I approve of...the ones that make our classmates think we are crazy old hermit-fools...which they do at their own peril! They think our methods are a bit insane and do the opposite, ensuring a TLSer at the top of the class! BWAHAHAHA! Or you, know...providing backup in case I feel like I want to have friends in 1L...now who will want to be my friend...NO ONE! oh I made myself sad now...)

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 pm

arvcondor wrote:Have any of you (by which I mean the three other people still talking in this thread) cracked open Law School Confidential? If so, did you become totally fucking despondent after the first chapter? Not that law-school-as-life-force-succubus was totally new to me, but I think it was the first time it was put in such extreme terms.

Im currently in the middle of that book as well (Been switching between that and GTM) and as someone who is going from UG to LS, I think its being honest and informative. Not that I expected much different, and being the person who expects the worst, I'm expecting something similar haha.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”