Temple Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Why did this thread die all of a sudden? I will jump-start this thread single-handedly by sharing the greatest quote on education ever:

H. Simpson wrote: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course, and I forgot how to drive?


Discuss the relative merits of H. Simpson's quandary in no more than 500 words...ready....GO!

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 pm

x7227 wrote:Why did this thread die all of a sudden?


It's tough to maintain my ultra-high level of excitement, so I need little breaks from Temple related thought.

But, I guess its time to ramp things up again, because I am truly looking forward to starting school. When is everyone moving into their law school housing, if you're not living there already? I found a place is Old City, and I'm not sure when I should move down to Philly. I can go anytime after July 1st, but I'm thinking sometime after August 1st might be best. Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do.

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby oreo3405 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:Why did this thread die all of a sudden?


It's tough to maintain my ultra-high level of excitement, so I need little breaks from Temple related thought.

But, I guess its time to ramp things up again, because I am truly looking forward to starting school. When is everyone moving into their law school housing, if you're not living there already? I found a place is Old City, and I'm not sure when I should move down to Philly. I can go anytime after July 1st, but I'm thinking sometime after August 1st might be best. Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do.


I live in Philly, so im not really going anywhere. Im getting married in eight weeks so i guess thats why ive been a little busy. working my 9-5, planning a w edding. starting law school. YIKES lol

lawlskewl
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby lawlskewl » Wed May 18, 2011 2:43 pm

did anyone apply for the barroway scholarship?

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Justathought wrote:Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do. drinking my liver away




oreo3405 wrote:I live in Philly, so im not really going anywhere. Im getting married in eight weeks so i guess thats why ive been a little busy. working my 9-5, planning a w edding. starting law school. YIKES lol


Congrats! I suppose that is a reason to busy yourself with things other than TLS...

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby oreo3405 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm

x7227 wrote:
Justathought wrote:Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do. drinking my liver away




oreo3405 wrote:I live in Philly, so im not really going anywhere. Im getting married in eight weeks so i guess thats why ive been a little busy. working my 9-5, planning a w edding. starting law school. YIKES lol


Congrats! I suppose that is a reason to busy yourself with things other than TLS...


haha still doesnt stop me from stopping here while im at work (like right now haha).

User avatar
Evrydyhonestliar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Wed May 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:Why did this thread die all of a sudden?


It's tough to maintain my ultra-high level of excitement, so I need little breaks from Temple related thought.

But, I guess its time to ramp things up again, because I am truly looking forward to starting school. When is everyone moving into their law school housing, if you're not living there already? I found a place is Old City, and I'm not sure when I should move down to Philly. I can go anytime after July 1st, but I'm thinking sometime after August 1st might be best. Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do.


I'm already here in the burbs and I'm staying here. In fact, I just got a super exciting job at the movies for the summer so I can try to save up enough money to, ya know, eat this year haha

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby oreo3405 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:
Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:Why did this thread die all of a sudden?


It's tough to maintain my ultra-high level of excitement, so I need little breaks from Temple related thought.

But, I guess its time to ramp things up again, because I am truly looking forward to starting school. When is everyone moving into their law school housing, if you're not living there already? I found a place is Old City, and I'm not sure when I should move down to Philly. I can go anytime after July 1st, but I'm thinking sometime after August 1st might be best. Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do.


I'm already here in the burbs and I'm staying here. In fact, I just got a super exciting job at the movies for the summer so I can try to save up enough money to, ya know, eat this year haha


did you get your sticker yet? haha

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Wed May 18, 2011 5:07 pm

lawlskewl wrote:did anyone apply for the barroway scholarship?

I was under the impression that the Rubin Presser was the only scholarship we could apply to our 0Ls.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the diversity scholarship, in which case the same restriction applies to me.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Fri May 20, 2011 12:29 pm

There is a pre-1L happy hour planned for June 15th. Someone organized it on the Temple facebook page. I won't be in town for it, but apparently it will be the first of many. Just a heads up for anyone interested in getting an early start on meeting future classmates.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Sat May 21, 2011 5:46 am

Speaking of that, I have to figure out what protocol is for separating/integrating the worlds of real life and TLS.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Sun May 22, 2011 2:59 pm

arvcondor wrote:Speaking of that, I have to figure out what protocol is for separating/integrating the worlds of real life and TLS.


Simple, we all wear name tags which contain our TLS avatars. We also have to promise to be slightly less mean in person.


On an unrelated note, I'm looking to purchase a second hand time machine. Just something that can get me to August 1st. I can no longer stand the wait. I'm so bored.

Also willing to have someone freeze me, to be thawed out at a later date. Like that South Park episode. PM if interested.

Image

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Sun May 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Is August 1 a date of some significance?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 am

Nope, just seemed like the right time to move down to Philly and get settled.

User avatar
Evrydyhonestliar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

oreo3405 wrote:
Evrydyhonestliar wrote:
Justathought wrote:
x7227 wrote:Why did this thread die all of a sudden?


It's tough to maintain my ultra-high level of excitement, so I need little breaks from Temple related thought.

But, I guess its time to ramp things up again, because I am truly looking forward to starting school. When is everyone moving into their law school housing, if you're not living there already? I found a place is Old City, and I'm not sure when I should move down to Philly. I can go anytime after July 1st, but I'm thinking sometime after August 1st might be best. Just so I'm not sitting around in Philly with absolutely nothing to do.


I'm already here in the burbs and I'm staying here. In fact, I just got a super exciting job at the movies for the summer so I can try to save up enough money to, ya know, eat this year haha


did you get your sticker yet? haha



Yess! And got them on my parents cars this weekend too! It feels official now and I seriously can't wait to quit my jobs and start some serious learning in August!

User avatar
in my eyes
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby in my eyes » Wed May 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Just graduated from Temple Law. Great experience. If anyone has questions fire away.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Wed May 25, 2011 2:36 pm

in my eyes wrote:Just graduated from Temple Law. Great experience. If anyone has questions fire away.


First off, congratulations. I have a good friend who recently finished LS, and he's just thrilled. I know you must be as well. I do have a few questions, so thanks for stopping by to take them.

1. You said Temple was a "great experience." What are the biggest factors that played into your description?

2. Was it easy to obtain outlines from students who did well? Is there an exam bank with sample answers for most/all of the 1L courses/instructors?

3. Are there any healthy dining options on/near campus? Love the food trucks, but I tend to eat pretty healthy and I'm not sure if many of them have options that will suit me on a daily basis.

4. Do you think most students are happy with the employment opportunities available to them after graduation?

5. Finally, I'm living in Old City, near 3rd and Arch. I'll be moving down there in August. The area is just amazing - it has everything I need and is incredibly rich in history, which I find really cool. However, I have heard the bars there tend to attract a young and rowdy crowd. Will there be fist fights outside my apartment at 2am?

Thanks again for taking questions. Awesome avatar.

User avatar
x7227
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby x7227 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:13 pm

in my eyes wrote:Just graduated from Temple Law. Great experience. If anyone has questions fire away.


Congrats and thanks for taking the time for us lowly 0Ls!

Any profs to absolutely 100% take? Any to stay away from?

Any experience with the study abroad opportunities or how that may have affected your classmates?


Justathought wrote:5. Finally, I'm living in Old City, near 3rd and Arch. I'll be moving down there in August. The area is just amazing - it has everything I need and is incredibly rich in history, which I find really cool. However, I have heard the bars there tend to attract a young and rowdy crowd. Will there be fist fights outside my apartment at 2am?


3rd and Arch is kinda just above some of the rowdiest spots in Old City. Not that its the quietest spot in the city, but if you were in the square bordered by Front, Chestnut, Market, and 4th, you'd be much more likely to get a weekly old city s--t show on the weekends (hey, free entertainment!). The nice thing about 3rd and Arch is that you're close enough (1-4 blocks) to have fun when you want to, but far enough away that its not constantly at your front door constantly (like living on the same block as two huge bars).

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Wed May 25, 2011 3:29 pm

x7227 wrote:

Justathought wrote:5. Finally, I'm living in Old City, near 3rd and Arch. I'll be moving down there in August. The area is just amazing - it has everything I need and is incredibly rich in history, which I find really cool. However, I have heard the bars there tend to attract a young and rowdy crowd. Will there be fist fights outside my apartment at 2am?


3rd and Arch is kinda just above some of the rowdiest spots in Old City. Not that its the quietest spot in the city, but if you were in the square bordered by Front, Chestnut, Market, and 4th, you'd be much more likely to get a weekly old city s--t show on the weekends (hey, free entertainment!). The nice thing about 3rd and Arch is that you're close enough (1-4 blocks) to have fun when you want to, but far enough away that its not constantly at your front door constantly (like living on the same block as two huge bars).


You know its funny, my apartment is basically on the corner of 3rd and Arch. When I went to meet my potential roommate, I saw the Betsy Ross house, and the Starbucks, and the nice gym, and I said, "This is just perfect."

Then I met my roommate, and she kept stressing how quiet it was here. I was thinking, "Well yeah, how loud could it get outside the Betsy Ross house?!"

After I went back home and did some research, I realized that Old City is not only the history rich, Greenwich Village-esque area I thought, but also sort of a wild party destination for Jersey Shore types. Oh well, I still love the area.

User avatar
in my eyes
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby in my eyes » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Temple Law was a great experience because of the people. Minimal gunners, friendly people (profs/library staff/security people/professors).

Professors to take: Abreu/Monroe if you're into tax, Greenstein if you're a thinker, Sperino for Employment Discrimination, Harris for Sales.

3rd and Arch isn't going to be bad at all as far as fights go. You're on the other side of Market from where most of the bars are (South-Market).

As far as healthy options there is always the sexy green truck which serves locally grown produce in wraps/salads. There is also the noshery. If you're looking for Center City or Phila in general food recommendations PM Me.

It's easy to get outlines if that is your thing. I found the E and E series and commercial outlines combined with the slides/my classnotes to be more helpful. About 3/4 of profs will put old exams in the library. Most will review them with you if you take the time to write out answers.
Last edited by in my eyes on Wed May 25, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
in my eyes
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby in my eyes » Wed May 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Study abroad was popular because 1L/2L summer paid gigs were in short supply. Lots of people loved their trips to Rome/Japan. I didn't go so I can't comment.

They graduated on time if that means anything.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Wed May 25, 2011 8:06 pm

in my eyes wrote:Just graduated from Temple Law. Great experience. If anyone has questions fire away.

Where did you do your 1L/2L gigs, if you did any? Do you have a job? Where is it? Do others have jobs?

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby arvcondor » Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Justathought wrote:After I went back home and did some research, I realized that Old City is not only the history rich, Greenwich Village-esque area

Dude...please take this back.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby Justathought » Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Let me clarify, they are very different. I'm from NY and lived in the West Village for years, but as a Philly novice, I saw the restaurants with sidewalk seating, the art galleries, the smaller buildings, the parks, and thought, "this feels similar in a lot of ways." Still, NY is so much more crowded, and the venues in the Village are way more upscale (read - expensive).

I like both areas a lot, though I do hear the nightlife in Old City can be exceptionally cheesy. However, the history in the area is second to none, and living in an area where you literally can't go two feet without crossing someplace pivotal to the lives of the founding fathers is awesome. It's honestly a little inspiring to someone new to the area, but I'm sure native Philadelphia residents are much less impressed by all that. I'm the same way with NY.

User avatar
in my eyes
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: Temple Class of 2014

Postby in my eyes » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 pm

I worked 1L and 2L summers at Temple Legal Aid. Prof Hanna (who runs the program) is one of the most knowledgable people I've encountered w/ regard to family law.

I have a job starting in late Aug at Ernst and Young in a specialty tax group (SALT)(really a dream position for me..my accounting background saved me). Jobs are few and far between. I'd say maybe 20-25% at graduation. Has little to do with Temple (they were great). More to do with the market in general.
Last edited by in my eyes on Wed May 25, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests