Northwestern or Michigan (no $) vs. Brooklyn, W&L, or W&M $$

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
jadi2386

Northwestern or Michigan (no $) vs. Brooklyn, W&L, or W&M $$

Postby jadi2386 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Hello, this is my first post and I'm not sure where to put it but here goes..

I know this sounds crazy but I am trying to decide between UM/Northwestern sticker or Brooklyn (possibly Washington & Lee) full ride (no debt at all) and William and Mary with about 35K total debt. A big factor is that I am firm in my desire to work in public interest, specifically legal aid/non-profit type work.

I am a bit scared of 200K+ of debt at Northwestern or Michigan...is it worth the risk?

Thanks for your input!

Hobbes89

Re: Northwestern or Michigan (no $) vs. Brooklyn, W&L, or W&M $$

Postby Hobbes89 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 am

This is the wrong forum, but go to Michigan and use LRAP. The other schools you are considering are nowhere near on the level of Michigan/Northwestern, and from what I've read here public interest is still highly selective, so where you go matters. I believe Michigan has better LRAP than Northwestern as well, so that's why you should pick Michigan over NW if you want public interest law.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:14 am

This is the correct forum
viewforum.php?f=1

If you're sure you want to work for non-profit agencies or in legal aid types and have the full scholly at W&L, I suggest take that scholly. LRAP has contingencies. So take the scholly at W&L, graduate, and live happily ever after.

If you don't get a the full scholarship at W&L, then take UMich.

jadi2386

Postby jadi2386 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 am

Thank you both for your replies. I really appreciate your input...I have now posted in the correct forum so thanks also for that tip!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”