Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
girlonfire

Re: Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 10:45 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and a little :lol: for the bug family photo in the background

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 12, 2011 11:09 am

This is the type of gunner I want to be.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 am

--ImageRemoved--

thatwrites

Postby thatwrites » Thu May 12, 2011 11:24 am

This guy.

(Kent from Real Genius)

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 am

We were discussing what type of law ppl wanted to practice and I heard a lot of HR people.

Anyone else know what they are looking for? I am still undecided but I was thinking maybe criminal defense but really have no idea what Crim defense would be like so I guess its just a shot in the dark.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

Officially just requested to be a member of the Facebook group. Big step.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Damnit people! Stop responding so much. It makes it hard to catch up.

I read pls and thought it was a waste of time. You could condense that book to fifty pages. Steely put the jist of it there, I would just add that it is pages and pages of "the teachers suck and play hide the ball. Good luck." Although I admit I am following his study guide of what to read.

I don't think reading the e&e's is a bad way to spend the summer. I am nervous not having been in school for a while so I need practice thinking.

Also, I hope I don't come across as a gunner, sorry if I do. I hope I can have some fun nights, my concern is getting free time from my family, I want to trivia!

Also, matt, bad ass picture. I love that episode. Good...good.

Go sherlock, send me a fr.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Lets not forget the number one gunner, Top Gun.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I prefer Tommy Gunn

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Tommy "machine" Gunn fails as a gunner for getting his ass beat in a street fight by Rocky.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:32 pm

+1 Sherlock. In my eyes, Rocky 5 never happened. It goes from 4 to Rocky Balboa or as I call it, Rocky 6.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 pm

I think the majority cuts Rocky 5 from the Rocky canon. I'm still confused on how, his kid goes from being a nine year-old in Rocky IV to being twelve or thirteen in Rocky V, which according to movie, takes place a week after Rocky successfully ends the Cold War :?

kml1089

Postby kml1089 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
kml1089 wrote:hey everyone! its my first time posting to ANY discussion board and I just found out about this one. I've spent some time reading from the beginning but i got to page 20 and called it quits for the night. I feel like the new kid but i just wanted to say hi and start getting in on this TLS action.

Also, i was admitted after ASD and i wanted to know if anyone could recap please? thanks!

There wasn't a lot of essential information given out at ASD. Basically, we are all awesome in this thread and we welcome you to the madness :-)

Seriously though, Wake seems to be very focused on litigation as a whole. The school really seems to promote this aspect of law. Overall, the student body is very friendly--not cutthroat like some schools. There is a house hunt coming up June 10-11. If you can make it, it is a great way to get to know your classmates before school starts. We will be going to a baseball game Friday evening and then checking out apartments saturday, then there is a picnic or something and saturday night some people stay and go bar hopping. :-) If you haven't joined our Facebook page it is here http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/home.php?sk=group_189378551098709&ap=1

If you have specific questions feel free to ask us here or in this other thread where students who just finished their first year are being super helpful with their knowledge...http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51759

Thanks!! i joined the fb group awhile ago. but it seems more personal here. i cant make the house hunt but i will be going on my own house hunt around june 20th. also im looking for a roommate. probably at the crowne complexes. im a female looking for another female to room with. preferably also a wake law student. i feel like im on eharmony.

zunde2

Postby zunde2 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:51 pm

So this has been discussed previously, I think, but I cannot find it. When is the second seat deposit due, and how much is it? Also, just sent in my house hunt stuff, excited to meet everybody in June!

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 pm

So, long walks on the beach, cake or pie, sports team? These are the things we need to know to find you a roommate. Also, have you checked the housing page on WF for the roommate postings?

Lol at Rocky 5 and time continuity.

Zunde: June 1, 300.

paratrooper06

Postby paratrooper06 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 pm

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Since everyone is asking about them...I have the following E&E's that I would be willing to sell to anyone coming to House Hunt if you're interested (we can meet up sometime while you're here), or anyone coming to Winston-Salem over the next two months. I'm asking $60 for all 4, or $15 each.

Torts (3rd Ed.)
Civil Procedure (6th Ed.)
Property (3rd Ed.)
Contracts (3rd Ed.)

I found them to be useful, especially in Civil Procedure and Contracts. I read them over the summer and I think it helped give me enough background that I understood things more quickly than if I hadn't read them.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

P.S. I also have other supplements (Emmanuel's Outlines for all courses except Constitutional Law, and Siegel's Q&A for all courses except Constitutional Law) that I can sell to anyone between now and after school starts.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
boom_cs wrote:I just bought Civ Pro and Contracts off Amazon for cheap (Like 10 bucks for both)

I will probably read through these soon.

Opinion question: Which is more useful to read Planet Law School II or these E & E books?

The real 'meat' of PLS is "go read the E&Es and Delaney books over the summer." The rest of it is just hundreds of pages of ranting.

I think I can enjoy my summer and still read these. For me it's not a matter of "knowing" the material before I start school, it's about feeling somewhat comfortable with it so I don't freak out in the first month.

Okay, but honestly, I would at least get your syllabus from your professor or an upperclassmen, otherwise you're going do way too much reading about concepts you don't need to know. For example, chapters 1-6 in the Torts e&e are about intentional torts: you will likely do none of this in your torts class. There goes 100 pages of reading. Same thing for chapter 20 on "pleading a personal injury case".

Some concepts in the e&e's you'll cover most of during your first year, like with civ pro, while with other classes (like torts above), it'll be a very different approach. This is why I recommend reading them during the semester; don't do more work than you have to -- there will be plenty of work for you to do, I promise :)

Plus, like I said, even if you read the right chapters, some professors teach it differently, or in varying levels of detail. Moreover, you haven't read the cases, so you might just end up confused, or with the wrong impression.

Just my two cents, though I know others like tstyler will swear by the opposite method =)

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Thu May 12, 2011 3:13 pm

I would agree with icydash if we could get our syllabi or our class schedules in advance, but I don't think we get those till a week before class.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 pm

icydash wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:
boom_cs wrote:I just bought Civ Pro and Contracts off Amazon for cheap (Like 10 bucks for both)

Opinion question: Which is more useful to read Planet Law School II or these E & E books?

The real 'meat' of PLS is "go read the E&Es and Delaney books over the summer." The rest of it is just hundreds of pages of ranting.

I think I can enjoy my summer and still read these. For me it's not a matter of "knowing" the material before I start school, it's about feeling somewhat comfortable with it so I don't freak out in the first month.

Okay, but honestly, I would at least get your syllabus from your professor or an upperclassmen, otherwise you're going do way too much reading about concepts you don't need to know. For example, chapters 1-6 in the Torts e&e are about intentional torts: you will likely do none of this in your torts class. There goes 100 pages of reading. Same thing for chapter 20 on "pleading a personal injury case".

Some concepts in the e&e's you'll cover most of during your first year, like with civ pro, while with other classes (like torts above), it'll be a very different approach. This is why I recommend reading them during the semester; don't do more work than you have to -- there will be plenty of work for you to do, I promise :)

Plus, like I said, even if you read the right chapters, some professors teach it differently, or in varying levels of detail. Moreover, you haven't read the cases, so you might just end up confused, or with the wrong impression.

Just my two cents, though I know others like tstyler will swear by the opposite method =)

I don't swear by the opposite method. I will agree that there are things in the E&E's that professors won't cover or will cover differently. For example, my Torts professor did cover Intentional Torts, but I think he was the only one. And, the number one rule is if whatever you read in a supplement or anywhere else is different from what your professor taught you, go with what your professor teaches you.

For me, it wasn't really about learning the material. It was more about just gaining an overview of what I might be learning. Then, when I learned about it in class, it was like reading it a second time...the material was a little easier to understand. While some people can learn solely from the cases, the cases aren't easy reading, so the E&E's help you figure it out (along with what your professor tells you).

I'm not advocating everyone to read the E&E's over the summer. I'm glad I did, especially since I had been ought of school for a number of years and it helped me get back into learning mode. But, if someone wants to read them, I don't think it's a ridiculous thing to do. Just don't spend all your time reading them. Have fun with the remaining 3.5 months.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu May 12, 2011 8:38 pm

GOF: I am coming to HH, but I won't be in the W-S area prior to that. I really, really, really, really, really.....think you should stay for HH :-)

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 9:12 pm

NCtoDC wrote:GOF: I am coming to HH, but I won't be in the W-S area prior to that. I really, really, really, really, really.....think you should stay for HH :-)

:lol: i'm really really really thinking about it <3

i'm actually like 90% sure I will. I just tendered my resignation today, effective on June 2, so I really have no reason not to stay. Gotta book a hotel room before theyre all booked!! I'm staying at the La Quinta from the 8-10, which I've been to before & love cuz theyre clean and allow dogs!

I know you mentioned it before but i'm lazy... Where are u staying??

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am

icydash wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I completely stayed away from all of the "prep" methods before law school, and I ended up doing very well. I never used supplements for anything other than studying for exams (i.e. during the last month or so of the semester). If there's a concept that you don't understand, they're great. However, since you have absolutely no idea what your professor will teach, there's no need to read stuff that isn't relevant and that will just fill your head with information that won't help on exams.

My suggestion would just be to enjoy the little time you have left before law school starts. Go on a vacation or ten. Work and make some money. More or less, do anything other than law school. Once school actually starts, you'll have plenty of time to read the relevant parts of the E&Es after you've learned about subjects in class. I feel certain that those people who read supplements before school started didn't really have a "leg up" on me once classes began. Everybody hears the same stuff in class, and, if the teacher explains it differently in class than the supplement did (and he/she will definitely test based on his/her explanation/elements/analysis on the exam), what good does it do to read stuff that won't help? Like I said, use the time you have left for getting moved in, meeting people, making money, or whatever. Don't worry about law school until law school actually begins. As with IcyDash, this is only my 2 cents and nothing more, so take it for what you will.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri May 13, 2011 6:19 am

girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:GOF: I am coming to HH, but I won't be in the W-S area prior to that. I really, really, really, really, really.....think you should stay for HH :-)

:lol: i'm really really really thinking about it <3

i'm actually like 90% sure I will. I just tendered my resignation today, effective on June 2, so I really have no reason not to stay. Gotta book a hotel room before theyre all booked!! I'm staying at the La Quinta from the 8-10, which I've been to before & love cuz theyre clean and allow dogs!

I know you mentioned it before but i'm lazy... Where are u staying??

They allow dogs??? That is awesome. I may be staying there then. I was going to stay at the courtyard because I can get an associate discount---used to work for marriott---but they don't have the discounted rate available that weekend.

On another note....*ahem, cough, cough* HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! etc. etc. etc....and to top it off click here ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCq6dYloi2o&feature=related

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri May 13, 2011 10:47 am

Would anyone be interested in either taking a cardboard cut out of me to HH? Or Skypeing with me so I feel involved. Seriously jealous of you guys. Gof, you should totally go,it is a great opportunity. Go for both of us.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”