Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Nailjohnj

Re: Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

Postby Nailjohnj » Wed May 11, 2011 2:30 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
paratrooper06 wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:You know who else liked exercise? Hitler.

Stupid exercising.

+1... Yeah apparently Bin Laden loved to do a 3-mile run and 200 crunches every morning... guess that didn't work out so well for him either.

He should have worked out those eye muscles better.

Y'all are joking about it now, but I heard Osama is working day and night to make the Pakistani Olympic swim team for 2012

And, also, y'all need to stop with talk about all the amazing HR work you are going to do, it is making feel bad about my aspirations of becoming a soulless corporate attorney.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed May 11, 2011 4:11 pm

So what is everyone doing now that school is out, for those who were in school?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:34 pm

jdemmitt wrote:So what is everyone doing now that school is out, for those who were in school?

I am enjoying a bit of free time right now, although I'll be starting on the write-on competition to get on a journal tomorrow (it goes live tonight). Next Thursday, I start working at Legal Aid here in Winston-Salem. I'll be doing that until near the end of July. Then, I'll be traveling around Europe for 2 weeks with my boyfriend, who is doing the Vienna Study Abroad program. We'll start out in Vienna, and then spend 2-3 days each in Genoa (Italy), Nice, Paris, and Dublin. Then, I'll be back in Winston for a week before your orientation starts, and I'll finally have a chance to meet some of you (those who end up in 2A since I'll be one of your TA's). It'll be a lot of fun.

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Wed May 11, 2011 7:14 pm

jdemmitt wrote:So what is everyone doing now that school is out, for those who were in school?

Working, relaxing by the pool, gettin my swell on at the gym.

I tweet, too jd! It's really big at my UG

paratrooper06

Postby paratrooper06 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm going to do a 14 day section hike of the Appalachian Trail, should be a blast. Other than that my summer will be working out, chillin, drinking, working out, repeat...I'm moving to Winston on July 1st, so I'm cool with chillin with anyone who is there in July given that I don't know anyone except a few people that I worked with in the 2010 election.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Wed May 11, 2011 7:20 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
Stonewall wrote:Just got a hotel room for the thurs-sunday of HH. Looking forward to finally meeting all of you

where are you staying? I'm thinking of trying my luck with name your own price on priceline.

I'm staying at the hotel right by the university, I think it's an embassy suites or something

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Sounds like you guys got some good times coming. I am just chilling all summer. Wish I could do some volunteer work or something. Darn kids.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 pm

JDemmitt, im not doing anything fun either. Just working to save enough money to furnish my apartment

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Well I graduated in December, so I've just been working and planning my wedding. It's a major time suck, and pain in the ass trying to finance my wedding, while simultaneously saving money to afford the move for law school :x

kml1089

Postby kml1089 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:06 am

hey everyone! its my first time posting to ANY discussion board and I just found out about this one. I've spent some time reading from the beginning but i got to page 20 and called it quits for the night. I feel like the new kid but i just wanted to say hi and start getting in on this TLS action.

Also, i was admitted after ASD and i wanted to know if anyone could recap please? thanks!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 am

kml1089 wrote:hey everyone! its my first time posting to ANY discussion board and I just found out about this one. I've spent some time reading from the beginning but i got to page 20 and called it quits for the night. I feel like the new kid but i just wanted to say hi and start getting in on this TLS action.

Also, i was admitted after ASD and i wanted to know if anyone could recap please? thanks!

There wasn't a lot of essential information given out at ASD. Basically, we are all awesome in this thread and we welcome you to the madness :-)

Seriously though, Wake seems to be very focused on litigation as a whole. The school really seems to promote this aspect of law. Overall, the student body is very friendly--not cutthroat like some schools. There is a house hunt coming up June 10-11. If you can make it, it is a great way to get to know your classmates before school starts. We will be going to a baseball game Friday evening and then checking out apartments saturday, then there is a picnic or something and saturday night some people stay and go bar hopping. :-) If you haven't joined our Facebook page it is here http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/home.php?sk=group_189378551098709&ap=1

If you have specific questions feel free to ask us here or in this other thread where students who just finished their first year are being super helpful with their knowledge...http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51759

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 12, 2011 9:28 am

So I just checked out those E & E books and they are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone have them that I can borrow or maybe set up a trade system where we each buy one of them and trade them over the summer?

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:33 am

boom_cs wrote:So I just checked out those E & E books and they are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone have them that I can borrow or maybe set up a trade system where we each buy one of them and trade them over the summer?

Buy the used old editions, not brand new ones. Black letter law is settled, nothing in the books will have changed over the last few years. I found all of mine for less than $15 each.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 am

NCtoDC wrote:Do you know where you are living? Have you found roommates?

Suggestion: I live at Crowne Polo and I like it a lot. It has an annoying u-turn you have to make sometimes to get there, but the apartments are nice, pretty cheap, and it has a pool and small gym area.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 am

boom_cs wrote:So I just checked out those E & E books and they are ridiculously expensive. Does anyone have them that I can borrow or maybe set up a trade system where we each buy one of them and trade them over the summer?

Boom: I've got most of the e&e's if you want to set something up.

SteelyDan wrote:

Buy the used old editions, not brand new ones. Black letter law is settled, nothing in the books will have changed over the last few years. I found all of mine for less than $15 each.

This is pretty much true, except for parts of civ pro. Small parts have changed here and there, so just be on the lookout for that. Same thing for con law.

As an aside, I don't know if you guys were looking for the e&e's to read during school or over the summer, but I would highly recommend NOT trying to read them this summer. You'll do like 75% more work than you have to, and you honestly probably won't get a lot of it anyway. Just enjoy your summer =)
Last edited by icydash on Thu May 12, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 12, 2011 9:45 am

I just bought Civ Pro and Contracts off Amazon for cheap (Like 10 bucks for both)

I will probably read through these soon.

Opinion question: Which is more useful to read Planet Law School II or these E & E books?

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 am

boom_cs wrote:I just bought Civ Pro and Contracts off Amazon for cheap (Like 10 bucks for both)

Opinion question: Which is more useful to read Planet Law School II or these E & E books?

See above post for my opinion on reading these things over the summer (sorry I just edited that post and must have added that in after you posted) haha :) They're honestly probably best read during the semester while taking your classes, or over winter break between your first semester and your second semester, IMO.

I've never read Planet Law School, so I can't really comment on that.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am

boom_cs wrote:I just bought Civ Pro and Contracts off Amazon for cheap (Like 10 bucks for both)

The real 'meat' of PLS is "go read the E&Es and Delaney books over the summer." The rest of it is just hundreds of pages of ranting.

I think I can enjoy my summer and still read these. For me it's not a matter of "knowing" the material before I start school, it's about feeling somewhat comfortable with it so I don't freak out in the first month.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 am

WFT with you guys prepping already?? I feel seriously outclassed! :lol:

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am

It's ok GOF, you aren't the only one. I am making popcorn right now. We can sit back, relax, and watch all of the gunners try to destroy each other. Should be pretty entertaining!
:wink:

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 10:31 am

MattThiessen wrote:It's ok GOF, you aren't the only one. I am making popcorn right now. We can sit back, relax, and watch all of the gunners try to destroy each other. Should be pretty entertaining!
:wink:

Hopefully on friday night at LS, you'll be with me when I go "Fuck this, let's go to bar trivia." I refuse to let myself burn out like I did in UG. Graduating with a 3.95 wasnt worth the lack of fun I endured... I'm realizing now I coulda taken a 3.7 and had a blast, and life would have worked out about the same... :mrgreen:

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 am

Not so much a gunner more like trying to forget the last 2 month at my shitty job.

Plus the NBA will be over soon so what else will I have to do?

I think me and GOF had opposite UG experiences, and the GPAs show it. I burned myself out drinking and going out in UG. 5 nights a week kicked my ass and killed my GPA

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 am

boom_cs wrote:Not so much a gunner more like trying to forget the last 2 month at my shitty job.

Plus the NBA will be over soon so what else will I have to do?

I think me and GOF had opposite UG experiences, and GPA for that matter. I burned myself out drinking and going out in UG. 5 nights a week kicked my ass and killed my GPA

:lol: but you still got into WFU!!! so I shoulda def had more sloppy nights and whatnot. FWIW, i didn't really like anyone at my UG, but i feel like the TLS clique that has already formed is gonna be pretty boss, so I'm def into socializing during LS!

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu May 12, 2011 10:39 am

NC, to answer u q from the last pg:

I'm flying to WS with my mom on the 8th to show her the school and look at places. I might stay the weekend and attend HH with the SO, but i'm not 100%. Are you going to be around during that time??

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

girlonfire wrote:Hopefully on friday night at LS, you'll be with me when I go "Fuck this, let's go to bar trivia." I refuse to let myself burn out like I did in UG. Graduating with a 3.95 wasnt worth the lack of fun I endured... I'm realizing now I coulda taken a 3.7 and had a blast, and life would have worked out about the same... :mrgreen:

--ImageRemoved--
"Good, good!" -The secret gunner inside of me

Kidding, of course. Or am I? But seriously. Or am I?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”