Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
iambeautiful

Re: Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

Postby iambeautiful » Sun May 01, 2011 5:01 pm

girlonfire wrote:anyone fin dout anything about deferment??

just curious...

+1

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:56 pm

NCtoDC wrote:I want to do Journal of Law and Policy. I have no interest in mock trial or moot court. The mando 1L trial stuff
is going to kill me.

I'm hoping for either Law Review or the Journal of Law and Policy. Exams end on the 11th for 1Ls and the write-on competition starts that night, and ends on the 28th. We have almost 2.5 weeks to do it, which is quite long compared to a lot of schools.

The only thing that 1Ls are required to do is the oral argument as part of their Legal Writing class. I wasn't looking too forward to it, but it ended up being fun and not as bad as I thought. If you do the Moot Court competition, you use your brief and oral argument from Legal Writing for it. Out of the approximately 160 1Ls, about 100 competed in the competition. I wasn't one of them since I didn't have any interest in doing Moot Court. It's a bit intimidating, but it's just you, your opponent, your professor, and one or two TA's (2L or 3L students). I'll actually be a TA next year for section 2A, so I look forward to working with some of you!

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sun May 01, 2011 6:16 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:I want to do Journal of Law and Policy. I have no interest in mock trial or moot court. The mando 1L trial stuff
is going to kill me.

I'm hoping for either Law Review or the Journal of Law and Policy. Exams end on the 11th for 1Ls and the write-on competition starts that night, and ends on the 28th. We have almost 2.5 weeks to do it, which is quite long compared to a lot of schools.

The only thing that 1Ls are required to do is the oral argument as part of their Legal Writing class. I wasn't looking too forward to it, but it ended up being fun and not as bad as I thought. If you do the Moot Court competition, you use your brief and oral argument from Legal Writing for it. Out of the approximately 160 1Ls, about 100 competed in the competition. I wasn't one of them since I didn't have any interest in doing Moot Court. It's a bit intimidating, but it's just you, your opponent, your professor, and one or two TA's (2L or 3L students). I'll actually be a TA next year for section 2A, so I look forward to working with some of you!

This is exciting :-)

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:16 am

NCtoDC wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
is going to kill me.

This is exciting :-)

Thanks! :D

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 pm

girlonfire wrote:anyone fin dout anything about deferment??

just curious...

Considering it. I'm having a difficult time trying to decide between committing to Wake or retaking.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Hey guys!

So a friend of mine is planning on attending Wake this fall with no money but plans on transfering to UNC after 1l to get instate tuition where it would be significantly cheaper since she is from NC but got waitlisted at UNC. She doesnt expect to get off and doesnt want to retake and reapply due to family reasons. Any thoughts? I really dont know what to tell her.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon May 02, 2011 2:26 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys!

So a friend of mine is planning on attending Wake this fall with no money but plans on transfering to UNC after 1l to get instate tuition where it would be significantly cheaper since she is from NC but got waitlisted at UNC. She doesnt expect to get off and doesnt want to retake and reapply due to family reasons. Any thoughts? I really dont know what to tell her.

You probably want to direct her to this: http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/apply ... fault.aspx

UNC's Website wrote:As a result of collaborative conversations with deans of other North Carolina law schools, the University of North Carolina School of Law will no longer accept transfer applications from students currently enrolled at law schools in North Carolina -- even from students who are academically qualified -- unless they present a compelling case for enrollment at UNC. Better job opportunities, better course selection or lower tuition are not viewed as compelling reasons.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm

MattThiessen wrote:You probably want to direct her to this: http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/apply ... fault.aspx

UNC's Website wrote:As a result of collaborative conversations with deans of other North Carolina law schools, the University of North Carolina School of Law will no longer accept transfer applications from students currently enrolled at law schools in North Carolina -- even from students who are academically qualified -- unless they present a compelling case for enrollment at UNC. Better job opportunities, better course selection or lower tuition are not viewed as compelling reasons.

That's interesting. It's weird that they mention "collaborative conversations with deans of other North Carolina law schools," yet they appear to be the only school with a policy like that. Neither Duke or Wake have anything similar on their websites.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys!

You probably want to direct her to this: http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/apply ... fault.aspx

Oh wow, thanks so much, i had a feeling something was not right, i tried to advice her not to but i didnt have a compelling reason but now i do. Thanks alot!

paratrooper06

Postby paratrooper06 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Where is everyone living? I just put my deposit down for my apartment, but I am still going to come to House Hunt to meet people being that I live in Charlotte. Is there a certain hotel where most people stya or is it pretty much anywhere?

zunde2

Postby zunde2 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 pm

After spending my morning calling around to apartments, I finally found that Crowne Oaks has some apartments available for those interested. Most other places had waiting lists or won't accepting new applicants at all. Just an fyi for those still searching for apartments.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

I am staying at the Courtyard by campus but thats only because WF has a discount there so it costs 89 dollars a night. Not the best price, but no more expensive than anywhere else and I figure there will be other students there so it will be easier to meet people.

Edit: Its also right next to like 4 bars, which is a primary concern for me when choosing a hotel.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Mon May 02, 2011 4:57 pm

I will most likely be in Winston that weekend to just hang out. It would be nice if we had like a meetup after yall finish the Hunt and maybe grab a few drinks or something downtown.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Mon May 02, 2011 5:02 pm

boom_cs wrote:I will most likely be in Winston that weekend to just hang out. It would be nice if we had like a meetup after yall finish the Hunt and maybe grab a few drinks or something downtown.

Same here. I live in Greensboro, so once we get the schedule I'll just come over for the baseball game and bars.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon May 02, 2011 5:24 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:You probably want to direct her to this: http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/apply ... fault.aspx

That's interesting. It's weird that they mention "collaborative conversations with deans of other North Carolina law schools," yet they appear to be the only school with a policy like that. Neither Duke or Wake have anything similar on their websites.

That's cause duke and wake are private institutions and don't give instate discounts. Duke and wake don't want to lose students, and unc doesn't want to give instate tuition.

Also, my wife is going out the week before HH to find a place.

paratrooper06

Postby paratrooper06 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 am

YankeesFan wrote:I am staying at the Courtyard by campus but thats only because WF has a discount there so it costs 89 dollars a night. Not the best price, but no more expensive than anywhere else and I figure there will be other students there so it will be easier to meet people.

Edit: Its also right next to like 4 bars, which is a primary concern for me when choosing a hotel.

+1... The Courtyard it is. I will also be there for just the game and the bars!

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue May 03, 2011 9:35 am

It seems that most people (on this board at least) have housing locked up. Are you guys going to visit and tour the complex you chose while your down there or sign the lease? Or literally just going to game and bars?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 am

i'll be in WS the 3 days before house hunt... dont know if i'm gonna stay for HH, but i plan on signing a lease while there. I'm friend from UG got denied at almost every MFA program she applied to, so she's moving with me and is gonna try to get into wake's MA in English.

(cool story bro.) :lol:

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue May 03, 2011 11:01 am

My goal is to take out leases at everywhere in Wake, and then sublease them out, illegally, to you all for ridiculous rates. I shall be the slum lord of WS! This is why my Mrs. is going out in advance of the HH.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue May 03, 2011 11:15 am

jdem,
good plan. but it's not gonna affect me. I'm living in a storage closet on campus, remember?

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 am

Jokes on you, Demmitt, I already have leases on every apartment in WS. You will be subleasing from me and then will be sub-subleasing to everyone else.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 am

MattThiessen wrote:Jokes on you, Demmitt, I already have leases on every apartment in WS. You will be subleasing from me and then will be sub-subleasing to everyone else.

You cad! Have you fully settled on Wake yet?

Gof, Jenny is renting the closets to me.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 am

Yeah, I have pretty much settled on Wake. Barring acceptance off the waitlist and a scholarship from Vandy... In other words, yes, I have settled on Wake.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 am

jdemmitt wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:Jokes on you, Demmitt, I already have leases on every apartment in WS. You will be subleasing from me and then will be sub-subleasing to everyone else.

--ImageRemoved--

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

girlonfire wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

That image won't load on my phone. I can only assume it is you cowering in submission.

Ps I will soon be taking applications for people who want to live in a closet.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”