Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
jdemmitt

Re: Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Jeremy, who is jeremy? Shifty eyes.

Last year's winner told me. It just depends on the essays.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm

jdemmitt wrote:What are your numbers?

Edit: Also, if someone going to the HH wants to take some pics of sugar creek and the enclave, I will give you cookies.

I plan on making a trip to WS in May to check out more places. Both of those are on my list. I will give you the rundown and take pics for ya.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

Edit: Also, if someone going to the HH wants to take some pics of sugar creek and the enclave, I will give you cookies.

I plan on making a trip to WS in May to check out more places. Both of those are on my list. I will give you the rundown and take pics for ya.

meh too pluheez :D

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

NP :-)

I asked if Sherwood Ridges accepts rotties when I was there and they said no. :-/
Are you going to try and pass her off as a mix?

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Nc, you are the best, even if you hate on funfetti.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:30 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

NP :-)

I asked if Sherwood Ridges accepts rotties when I was there and they said no. :-/
Are you going to try and pass her off as a mix?

yahhhh. im gonna have to :lol: but there's a high probability she's gonna stay with my mom or my SO :( which makes me sooooo sad.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 pm

I wouldn't waste your time with the Enclave at North Point. Went there this weekend and it's kind-of a dump.

Now, I was slightly offended on the FB group when the response to this was that it's not "big and fancy" enough for SOME PEOPLE (ie- me). It's not size or fanciness I didn't like about the place, it's that I'd rather pay more to feel safe. Here's why:

1. It's not in a great part of town - tucked away behind some industrial looking businesses.
2. There were all kinds of sketchy-looking people around the complex. Yes, this is just MY definition of sketchy, so there.
3. It was very run-down. The woman said that the management company invested over $1m when they bought it, but it doesn't show. In the model, the stair railing was falling off, the carpet wasn't clean, and the cabinets in the bathroom were falling apart.

That all being said, it is dirt cheap - $500 for a 2br, $560 for a 3br. My girlfriend suggested that by saving money on rent, I could buy several guns to make myself feel safer. I'd rather just spend more on rent :)

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Awwww that is sad. I don't think I could make it without my fur baby. But, one thing is for sure, you will have a much,much easier time finding a nice, non ghetto type place to live without her in tow.

Edit: wow, thanks SteelyD.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Well I hope SC is better.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Well I hope SC is better.

I didn't look at it. It's right next door though, so my comments about the part of town it's in still apply. It might be in better shape though, I don't know.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 pm

wowza... thats bad news about the enclave.

I'm looking into sugar creek & the corners too.

the crowne's are nice, but kinda pricey, tho I do admit I agree with SDan: I'd rather pay extra on rent than have to invest in fire arms for my peace of mind.

NC, if i move without Lola, I can very easily see myself adopting a new puppeh... and thats not good :lol:
but i can't stand the idea of not having a pet... and i've already told my SO he can keep the kittehs while im away. That was hard enough...

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Jd I think you should check Sherwood Ridges. It is about a 10 min drive up polo rd from the school. They don't have a security deposit. It was not a new community by any means but I felt like it was in a safe area. Jenny also said it was a good area albeit not a super student oriented area due to the distance from campus. I guess that is relative to each person. I commute about 40 min each way to work so 10 min seems real close to me. I think it is priced well. They have tons of floor plans. Their website has a lot of pics.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:06 pm

girlonfire wrote:wowza... thats bad news about the enclave.

the crowne's are nice, but kinda pricey, tho I do admit I agree with SDan: I'd rather pay extra on rent than have to invest in fire arms for my peace of mind.

NC, if i move without Lola, I can very easily see myself adopting a new puppeh... and thats not good :lol:
but i can't stand the idea of not having a pet... and i've already told my SO he can keep the kittehs while im away. That was hard enough...

I have a cat you can keep. Lol. I have two cats and will be getting rid of the female one.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:07 pm

I will check them out as soon as I get on my laptop. Price is about our biggest factor since we don't knnow where my wife will be working. Sigh.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Checked out the Corners, too:

The good: The grounds are unbelievably nice - VERY well landscaped and maintained. They have a freakin' bass fishing lake! I don't fish, but how cool is that?! Also - a big dog park... not some crappy little dog run, but a decent sized area for sniffing and fetching. The apartments appear clean and well-kept.

The bad: The bedrooms are pretty small. When I mentioned this, the woman insisted on showing me a furnished model to prove that the bedrooms were plenty big. It didn't help; the bed and dresser appeared crammed in, just as I imagined mine would be in the unfurnished unit we saw. Also, I think parking is an issue at this place. She claimed it wasn't, but I was there on a Saturday afternoon and there were almost no empty spaces. I've dealt with this in other college-oriented apartment complexes, and it sucks to come home from the library late at night and have nowhere to park. Finally, and what swayed me away from the place: they don't allow BBQ grills! You cannot take this man away from his grill. Forget it.

It is a really nice place, though, especially for the price. The downsides I mention may not be an issue for most people, so I would recommend visiting it if you're interested.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm

SteelyDan wrote: Finally, and what swayed me away from the place: they don't allow BBQ grills! You cannot take this man away from his grill. Forget it.

+1

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:25 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
SteelyDan wrote: Finally, and what swayed me away from the place: they don't allow BBQ grills! You cannot take this man away from his grill. Forget it.

+1

Another +1 on this. My current complex doesn't allow them either, and all I know is that I AM GETTING A FREAKING GRILL when I move.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 pm

guys I never visited the area, could you provide a short list of popular apartments nearby? thanks

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:15 pm

red_alertz wrote:guys I never visited the area, could you provide a short list of popular apartments nearby? thanks

The last five pages + google = answer.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
red_alertz wrote:guys I never visited the area, could you provide a short list of popular apartments nearby? thanks

The last five pages + google = answer.

obviously i'd trust you guys better than google, a search for apartments near wake forest shows up all sorts of amazing ones, i am sure some of them are and some of them are not, any inputs would be good

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:45 pm

red_alertz wrote:obviously i'd trust you guys better than google, a search for apartments near wake forest shows up all sorts of amazing ones, i am sure some of them are and some of them are not, any inputs would be good

jdemmitt wrote:Hey, Jenny sent me this list of links:

http://www.ogburnproperties.com
http://www.messickproperties.com
http://www.hreco.com
http://www.baldwinco.com
http://www.classyrentals.com

And last but not least, a whole bunch of stuff just got posted on http://law.wfu.edu/housing/.

So I am going to peruse through those.

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 pm

SteelyDan wrote:I wouldn't waste your time with the Enclave at North Point. Went there this weekend and it's kind-of a dump.

Now, I was slightly offended on the FB group when the response to this was that it's not "big and fancy" enough for SOME PEOPLE (ie- me). It's not size or fanciness I didn't like about the place, it's that I'd rather pay more to feel safe. Here's why:

1. It's not in a great part of town - tucked away behind some industrial looking businesses.
2. There were all kinds of sketchy-looking people around the complex. Yes, this is just MY definition of sketchy, so there.
3. It was very run-down. The woman said that the management company invested over $1m when they bought it, but it doesn't show. In the model, the stair railing was falling off, the carpet wasn't clean, and the cabinets in the bathroom were falling apart.

That all being said, it is dirt cheap - $500 for a 2br, $560 for a 3br. My girlfriend suggested that by saving money on rent, I could buy several guns to make myself feel safer. I'd rather just spend more on rent :)

SteelyDan I'm so sorry I didn't mean to offend you on FB!! I just meant that we are all indeed different and have different preferences. I personally fell in love with the Enclave, and I think that it is a LOT more secure than other apartment communities that Wake students choose. I visited Sugar Creek and a couple of other places and just did not think that they were worth the money. I attend Salem College, which is in Winston, so I know this city, and trust me the area in which the Enclave is located is NOT as sketchy as the south side or east side of Winston. After visiting, I made sure to check the crime reports for the area/the city and I decided that I had nothing to worry about. I'd much rather spend fewer dollars on a quality apartment, than more dollars on one that is of less, equal or sllightly better quality. But again, my preference may not be the same as the majority of Wake students'.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 pm

so are you gonna be a tardheel or what Dub

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 pm

I visited Sugar Creek right before I visited the Enclave (they're about 30 seconds apart). I walked out of Sugar Creek knowing that I would never live there. I thought it was filthy and unsafe. Then again, Steely considers the place I chose a dump so maybe you shouldn't trust my judgment! :-p

leidice

Postby leidice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks SteelyDan for the info on Enclave. The website didn't make it seem too bad when I checked it out, but it's nice to hear two differing experiences people had while looking at the place. I do agree the price of rent raises some suspicion.

I really really just want to find somewhere that includes a washer and dryer. I don't iron, and I'm not paying .50 every day to get the wrinkles out of my clothes in the morning! :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”