Wake Forest University School of Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
jdemmitt

Silver

Re: Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:37 am

esquiress wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:Tagging in. Sent the seat deposit this week. Still holding out for money at Vandy and an admissions decision at UNC, but it's looking more and more like I'll be at Wake in the fall.

Jstyler (or any other current students lurking) - I'm looking at the 3 Crowne properties. Are they basically all the same? I like the location and the price, but I'm worried they'll be overrun with noisy undergrads. Any experience there?
Crowne Club is the nicest of them all. Crowne Polo is primarily grad/law students. Crowne Oak and the other are more undergrad...so a WFU alum told me. Hope that helps!
Is any of that married housing?

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 am

jdemmitt wrote:
esquiress wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:Tagging in. Sent the seat deposit this week. Still holding out for money at Vandy and an admissions decision at UNC, but it's looking more and more like I'll be at Wake in the fall.

Jstyler (or any other current students lurking) - I'm looking at the 3 Crowne properties. Are they basically all the same? I like the location and the price, but I'm worried they'll be overrun with noisy undergrads. Any experience there?
Crowne Club is the nicest of them all. Crowne Polo is primarily grad/law students. Crowne Oak and the other are more undergrad...so a WFU alum told me. Hope that helps!
They're apartment complexes.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 am

But are they school run or independent? If school they may not have married housing only singles. Sorry, my byu living has made apt hunting different. Curses.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:52 am

jdemmitt wrote:
esquiress wrote:

Depends on what you consider "married housing." If you mean somewhere that married people live (but where not everyone is married), yes. There are some married people at all of them (although they are far outnumbered by unmarried students). If you mean a place that it dedicated solely to married couples, you won't find that in any WS apartment complex that I know of. You would probably need to look at renting an actual house (or look downtown somewhere like the Nissen Building) if you're trying to avoid unmarried/undergrad students.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

jdemmitt wrote:But are they school run or independent? If school they may not have married housing only singles. Sorry, my byu living has made apt hunting different. Curses.
They're independently owned. The only school-owned housing that law students can stay in (I think anyway) is pretty much the Gradplex on campus. I don't think married couples can stay in it (and I don't know of any law students that stay in it anyway). Any apartment complex that you find in WS will be privately owned and will be more than happy to have you married or unmarried as long as you can pay the rent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:00 am

PirateCap'n wrote: Depends on what you consider "married housing." If you mean somewhere that married people live (but where not everyone is married), yes. There are some married people at all of them (although they are far outnumbered by unmarried students). If you mean a place that it dedicated solely to married couples, you won't find that in any WS apartment complex that I know of. You would probably need to look at renting an actual house (or look downtown somewhere like the Nissen Building) if you're trying to avoid unmarried/undergrad students.
Speaking of which, I looked at the Nissen Building online also... it seems priced OK given the location and amenities they offer. Are there many students living there, or is it primarily professionals that work downtown?

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:But are they school run or independent? If school they may not have married housing only singles. Sorry, my byu living has made apt hunting different. Curses.
They're independently owned. The only school-owned housing that law students can stay in (I think anyway) is pretty much the Gradplex on campus. I don't think married couples can stay in it (and I don't know of any law students that stay in it anyway). Any apartment complex that you find in WS will be privately owned and will be more than happy to have you married or unmarried as long as you can pay the rent.
+1 that is the answer I needed.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:16 am

SteelyDan wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote: Depends on what you consider "married housing." If you mean somewhere that married people live (but where not everyone is married), yes. There are some married people at all of them (although they are far outnumbered by unmarried students). If you mean a place that it dedicated solely to married couples, you won't find that in any WS apartment complex that I know of. You would probably need to look at renting an actual house (or look downtown somewhere like the Nissen Building) if you're trying to avoid unmarried/undergrad students.
Speaking of which, I looked at the Nissen Building online also... it seems priced OK given the location and amenities they offer. Are there many students living there, or is it primarily professionals that work downtown?
It's mostly professionals. I know about 5 law students who live there, and there could be a few more. It's a good bit higher priced than most law students can afford. I think it's somewhere around $900 (or it was last time I looked) and doesn't include anything like electricity, cable, etc. If you have the means to stay there, everything I've heard about it was good. The folks I know that stay there love it. It seems like the majority of folks either live in one of the Crownes or rent a house with roommates though.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Also, in reference to the Crowne Apts...just so you know, they are basically some of the most expensive complexes in the area. lol

I wanted to update you all that the official dates for House Hunt are June 10-11. They told us at the open house today. :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:15 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Also, in reference to the Crowne Apts...just so you know, they are basically some of the most expensive complexes in the area. lol

I wanted to update you all that the official dates for House Hunt are June 10-11. They told us at the open house today. :-)
awesome thanks

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm

I am going in April. Fail.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 pm

heyyy guys,

is there an admitted (& attending) students FB page for WFU yet??

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 pm

girlonfire wrote:heyyy guys,

Yeah NC posted it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SunnyBee

New

Post by SunnyBee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 pm

girlonfire wrote:heyyy guys,

it's here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 98709&ap=1
NCtoDC wrote:Also, in reference to the Crowne Apts...just so you know, they are basically some of the most expensive complexes in the area. lol

thanks for the dates!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:05 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I am going in April. Fail.
Well, since you aren't looking for roomates it doesn't really matter. It is just a lost opportunity to socialize with your future classmates (the only reason I'm going, lol) :-)

I don't actually plan on finding my place to live via house hunt. I think that it will be way too rushed and crowded in a setting like that to actually check out places. Its probably a good thing to come on your own.

I actually went and visited another property today after the open house. It is called Sherwood Ridges. There are several great things about this complex...they do not charge a security deposit, the pet fee is SUPER cheap (175/pet, 2 pet max, no aggressive breeds, no monthly pet rent), and the rent is pretty cheap. They have a huge pool and it is open until 10pm. The leasing lady swears it is a very quiet community. There are some very nice condos on the way into the apartment complex...it appeared to be a safe area. They are only about a 7 minute drive up Polo Rd. from the law school (they are off of Robinhood Road). There is a YMCA and several grocery stores within 1/2 to 1 mile.

A few cons: older building (1970's), if you get a unit w/o washer dryer hookups the only laundry facility is located in the leasing building (coin operated). One complaint of mine is that the recyclables were haphazardly placed in some parking spaces next to the dumpster...looked a little trashy.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:27 am

Yes, the three Crowne complexes are pretty much the same. (Crowne Club isn't located close to WFU, so I wouldn't recommend living there.) I'm at Crowne Park and there are a mix of undergrads, grad students, and professionals. The noisier areas tend to be in the buildings with 2 & 3 bedroom units. The building with 1-bedroom units tends to be quieter (but not always). Quite a few current 1L's live in Crowne Polo and that tends to be where a lot of the parties and social activities take place. I only know a few law students that live in Crowne Oaks. There are a fair number of us in Crowne Park. During the week, it's pretty quiet cause everyone has class or work. Weekends can be noisier, but I haven't really had any problems. The Crowne apartments are a bit more expensive than some other places, but I like it and will be staying here next year as well.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 am

Hey, how many of you guys are on the FB page already? I signed up last week. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out who I am.

Also, anyone know anything about the apts at the Hunt Club?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Hey, how many of you guys are on the FB page already? I signed up last week. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out who I am.

havent joined yet.. should probably do that though (still holding out faith to get off the Duke WL.)

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:26 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Hey, how many of you guys are on the FB page already? I signed up last week. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out who I am.

Not yet. Still waiting on the last couple of schools I applied to.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:41 pm

I am holding out on one waitlist hope, but I figured might as well join and meet my likely classmates.

Duke? Would love to have you at wf, but I can't blame you for going if you can.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I am holding out on one waitlist hope, but I figured might as well join and meet my likely classmates.

Duke? Would love to have you at wf, but I can't blame you for going if you can.
ha I appreciate it, but it was a long shot to begin with at Dook. I already put down my WF deposit as well so 99% sure i'll be in winston-salem come august

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SunnyBee

New

Post by SunnyBee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Does anyone know what the typical monthly utilities at the Crowne apartments are?

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Well, dinged at Vanderbilt. That means all that is keeping me from Wake is Cornell, Notre Dame, and the off chance I get accepted off of either Michigan or Columbia's WL.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 pm

SunnyBee wrote:Does anyone know what the typical monthly utilities at the Crowne apartments are?
It will probably run you around $100. I don't live in one of the Crownes, but I'm just down the street in a place about the same size as a Crowne (2 bedrooms). Mine usually ends up at about $30 for natural gas (down to ~$15 in the summer), $25-40 for electricity, and water shouldn't be more than about $20. Disclaimer: I rarely use heat in winter, and my AC is set on 75-76 in the summer. I think the highest bill I've ever had was $75 (just electric and gas).

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 am

SunnyBee wrote:Does anyone know what the typical monthly utilities at the Crowne apartments are?
I live in a 1-bedroom apartment at Crowne Park. My highest electric bill was about $80, and the lowest about $40. Water runs about $11-12 each month. A 2 or 3-bedroom apartment would run more.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”