Wake Forest University School of Law 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
jdemmitt

Silver

Re: Wake Forest University School of Law 2014

Post by jdemmitt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Ah. Sounds half helpful. I need an apartment but no roommate ... unless my wife really wants cheap rent. Thanks NC, you are super helpful.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Ah. Sounds half helpful. I need an apartment but no roommate ... unless my wife really wants cheap rent. Thanks NC, you are super helpful.
My pleasure...now I just have to decide if I am going to Wake or not, lol. How do you feel about driving 15 to 20 min to get to school? If that doesn't bother you, you may want to check the outlying areas from W-S. You could possibly find a house for the same price as the apartments near campus. Just another idea. I know that I would prefer that...being married and all.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm

It all depends on how many cars we can bring out. Both my wife and I want a car to drive, but getting them and our daughter out could be problematic.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 pm

You are coming from the west coast right?

Can't you hitch one to the moving truck and then she drive her car with your daughter in it?

amasingama

New

Post by amasingama » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:30 am

TammyC.Hsu wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
mizzjasmine07 wrote:Hey! I have been accepted and will be attending admitted students day on 3/25. Haven't been given any scholarship money as of yet though :( Has anyone ever been to the Winston-Salem area? I'm really hoping its not really country and has somewhat of a city feel. Any info would be great!
Winston-Salem has a population of almost 500,000. It definitely has a city vibe to it. Pretty much everything you want as far as stores and restaurants is within a 15 minute drive from campus. It has a pretty good sized mall, 2 Walmarts, 2 Targets, pretty much every chain restaurant or fast food store including 3 Jimmy John's, most chain retail stores, etc. And the few things it might not have, you can always drive 30-45 minutes to go to Greensboro, a little over an hour to Charlotte, or a little less than 2 hours to Raleigh.
Winston isn't quite that big..."Winston-Salem is a city in the U.S. state of North Carolina, with a 2010 population of 229,617" per wikipedia. It does however have really anything you could possibly need as stated above.
Depending on where you're coming from, Winston-Salem is more like a "big town". I spent some time walking around downtown when I visited on ASD, and I was rather disappointed. But then again, they have a downtown newsletter that talked about revitalization, and there are many people moving into town who are dedicated to developing Winston Salem into a "real" city. Personally, I'm hoping for lots of live music and jazz in the Arts district... Outside of downtown, I don't know that they have a bar district or much of a nightlife.

I was quite surprised how few grocery stores and shopping plazas that I drove past. It was mostly all neighborhoods. The Stratford Rd area in the south of the city near Hanes Mall is the part of Winston Salem that houses the restaurants and stores, judging from my experience driving around. . .

And as for traffic, I made it from downtown to Wake Forest in 5 minutes in "rush hour".
After being in Winston for four years now, I can tell you that the city, but especially the downtown area, has developed drastically and there is a committee that is constantly working on improving it further. One of my roommates is active on the committee so she keeps me updated....apparently they have big plans for the downtown area so hopefully we get to experience some of that within the next three years!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lamentable

New

Post by lamentable » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 am

Just sent in the seat deposit, 100% coming to Wake in the fall!

AfroThunder1212

New

Post by AfroThunder1212 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Heavily leaning towards Wake right now. Just wondering if there are any soccer players in the bunch. I'd like to be able to get my weekly fix with some pickup games or maybe a Wake Law intermural team.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:Heavily leaning towards Wake right now. Just wondering if there are any soccer players in the bunch. I'd like to be able to get my weekly fix with some pickup games or maybe a Wake Law intermural team.
I'm in. Although, I wouldn't call myself a soccer player.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Ah. Sounds half helpful. I need an apartment but no roommate ... unless my wife really wants cheap rent. Thanks NC, you are super helpful.
House Hunt, as mentioned by NCtoDC, involves going around to the various apartment complexes in the area. However, there are usually a few houses that are rented out that are shown too. Most of the people that came last year were fairly young (early 20's) and single, but there were some who were older and/or married. People brought their spouses/significant others and parents, so that's not a problem.

House Hunt is also a great way to meet many of your fellow classmates. I think about 40 students came last year, so I already knew so many people walking in to the first day of orientation. It made me a lot less anxious.

Besides showing apartments, last year we went to a Dash baseball game (minor league), went out to dinner, and went out to several bars. I'm involved in phi alpha delta (PAD), the legal fraternity that puts on House Hunt, so I'll probably be involved in planning. And, since I'll be in Winston for the summer, I might even be the person (or one of the people) putting it on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amasingama

New

Post by amasingama » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 pm

The housing list is up

http://law.wfu.edu/housing/

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
House Hunt, as mentioned by NCtoDC, involves going around to the various apartment complexes in the area. However, there are usually a few houses that are rented out that are shown too. Most of the people that came last year were fairly young (early 20's) and single, but there were some who were older and/or married. People brought their spouses/significant others and parents, so that's not a problem.

House Hunt is also a great way to meet many of your fellow classmates. I think about 40 students came last year, so I already knew so many people walking in to the first day of orientation. It made me a lot less anxious.

Besides showing apartments, last year we went to a Dash baseball game (minor league), went out to dinner, and went out to several bars. I'm involved in Phi Alpha Delta (PAD), the legal fraternity that puts on House Hunt, so I'll probably be involved in planning. And, since I'll be in Winston for the summer, I might even be the person (or one of the people) putting it on.
Thanks for the extra info! Do you know if it is going to be the first or second weekend in June? I'm really hoping for the 2nd... lol. Is it held on a Friday or is it a two day thing?

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:21 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:Heavily leaning towards Wake right now. Just wondering if there are any soccer players in the bunch. I'd like to be able to get my weekly fix with some pickup games or maybe a Wake Law intermural team.

+100

Love the futbol.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm

When is the next ASD? I have yet to visit but I am leaning towards Wake.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 pm

SrLaw wrote:When is the next ASD? I have yet to visit but I am leaning towards Wake.
3/25

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm

SrLaw wrote:
+100

Love the futbol.
Here too! I'm a little (read: dangerously) out of shape right now though, but LOVE soccer.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Does anyone play golf? There seem to be a lot of cheap courses around Wake.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:47 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Does anyone play golf? There seem to be a lot of cheap courses around Wake.
Yes, but I am pretty terrible. Definitely enjoy playing though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zunde2

New

Post by zunde2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:56 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Does anyone play golf? There seem to be a lot of cheap courses around Wake.
This is great news, I love golf, here is to hoping we law students can get out and play

SunnyBee

New

Post by SunnyBee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Been playing since I was 13, and I am definitely looking forward to golfing on the weekends.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:01 pm

If by play you mean drive a cart, hit poorly and mark a one every hole, then yes, I play the hell out of golf. I may not be good, but I love it.

boom_cs

Bronze

Post by boom_cs » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:04 pm

zunde2 wrote:
This is great news, I love golf, here is to hoping we law students can get out and play
Yeah there are some good cheap courses in Winston Salem. We need to try and swindle our way into Old Town Country Club though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Golf player here, have not played for quite some time.

Anyone going to the 3/25 event?

SunnyBee

New

Post by SunnyBee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm

boom_cs wrote:
zunde2 wrote:
Yeah there are some good cheap courses in Winston Salem. We need to try and swindle our way into Old Town Country Club though.

+1

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

Besides showing apartments, last year we went to a Dash baseball game (minor league), went out to dinner, and went out to several bars. I'm involved in Phi Alpha Delta (PAD), the legal fraternity that puts on House Hunt, so I'll probably be involved in planning. And, since I'll be in Winston for the summer, I might even be the person (or one of the people) putting it on.
Thanks for the extra info! Do you know if it is going to be the first or second weekend in June? I'm really hoping for the 2nd... lol. Is it held on a Friday or is it a two day thing?
I'm not sure yet. I think we are having a meeting soon to discuss it. I'll let you know when I know more.

The activities are both Friday and Saturday. Some people left Saturday night, and many stayed until Sunday. We had fun going out to dinner and to a few bars Saturday night, so I recommend staying til Sunday if you can. That's when I really go to know people.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

I'm not sure yet. I think we are having a meeting soon to discuss it. I'll let you know when I know more.

The activities are both Friday and Saturday. Some people left Saturday night, and many stayed until Sunday. We had fun going out to dinner and to a few bars Saturday night, so I recommend staying til Sunday if you can. That's when I really go to know people.
Here's another request for you to vote for the second weekend! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”