UConn Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
BrittaBot
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby BrittaBot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Yeah, I think I'm going to take the work-study. Thanks for all your advice, guys, it helps to hear other people's input. I think once I realized I didn't really need that $3000 for anything specifically besides miscellaneous stuff, which more falls under gas/food/etc, then it makes sense that I work a couple hours a week to pay for it. I just have heard so many people on this board in general be like, "THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN WORK," so I got kind of scared off.

I'm afraid my hopes are high though. I work on-campus now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I get paid to do my homework and surf the internet and most of all, the people/professors I work with are so amazing and awesome. So whatever comes next is probably going to be a letdown. :lol:


f you take work study, you are not guaranteed a job, its first come first serve. I do not know how much they pay, but I doubt you will actually earn all/work that many hours. Plus, I think that no 1L can get a job before November.


Mebo, I got this off UCONN's website: --LinkRemoved--

About Work Study Awards
Q. I was offered a Work Study Award for the academic year, but I don't know if I want to use it. Maybe I'll want to use it in the the spring semester. What should I do?

A. Come to the Student Employment Program Office to activate your Work Study Award PRIOR to the first week in October. If the award is not activated by the October deadline, the funds will not be available at a later date.

Q. If I don't earn my entire Work Study Award during the academic year, can those funds be rolled over into the summer?

A. No. Work Study Awards are tied to the academic year or a summer term and are offered for specific dates only. Awards which are not earned by the end of a stated award period are lost.

Q. What is the difference between Work Study and Student Labor funded jobs?

A. Work Study funds are provided as part of a student's financial aid package. Work Study funds come from the federal government and are administered by the University. The sole difference between Work Study jobs and Student Labor jobs is the funding source. The work and the hourly compensation are identical. Students with Work Study Awards are offered the opportunity to earn a specific amount of money in compensation for work completed in a specific time period, usually for one academic year and/or one summer term. Students who work on campus and do not have work study awards are paid from department budgets, funded by the University of Connecticut.

Q. What jobs are open to first year law students who have Work Study Awards?

A. First year law students with Work Study Awards generally work in a variety of roles in the Law Library, including Information Systems. The Law School Administration has elected to fund a number of functions essential to the academic and research community, by dedicating first year Work Study funds to this otherwise unmet need. First year Work Study students serve in many areas of the library including: circulation, acquisitions, cataloging and preservation, library administration, computer help desk, computer labs and computer technical assistance.

Q. Why should I accept a Work Study job? How does it benefit me?

A. Students with Work Study Awards are generally the first to be hired and are the most sought out job applicants. Because the Work Study Award is federally funded, even those departments and supervisors whose budgets are limited are able to hire Work Study students.

---
So it seems like work-study people have a really good chance of being hired.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby Heartford » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 pm

I haven't had a work study job, but other people seem to be able to handle the workload fine. The comments about the relaxed nature of work-study work apply here at UConn Law, or at least that's how it seems from the outside in.

Gym on campus is literally smaller than one you might find at a Super 8 motel. The link to local gyms is good. Added note about NYSC- parking at Blueback Square in West Hartford is expensive and imo sort of a hassle for frequent gym trips.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Heartford wrote:I haven't had a work study job, but other people seem to be able to handle the workload fine. The comments about the relaxed nature of work-study work apply here at UConn Law, or at least that's how it seems from the outside in.

Gym on campus is literally smaller than one you might find at a Super 8 motel. The link to local gyms is good. Added note about NYSC- parking at Blueback Square in West Hartford is expensive and imo sort of a hassle for frequent gym trips.


H-ford, oh fearless UConn representative - do you know anyone who's gone to the JCC?

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby Heartford » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm

snapdragon wrote:
H-ford, oh fearless UConn representative -


Lol I know! Where are my classmates? I guess TLS isn't that popular here.

snapdragon wrote:do you know anyone who's gone to the JCC?


No, but I will PM you...

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Britta-

I was referring to this: "ALL FIRST YEAR WORK STUDY RECIPIENTS WHO WORK ON CAMPUS WILL BE ASSIGNED JOBS IN THE LIBRARY and TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT, TO THE EXTENT THAT JOB OPENINGS EXIST."
[url]
--LinkRemoved--[/url]

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Hey,

has anyone looked at anytime fitness? That is pretty close too.

User avatar
mreocc
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mreocc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 pm

mebo28 wrote:Hey,

has anyone looked at anytime fitness? That is pretty close too.


Hi guys, I'll be attending UConn in the fall!

I live in West Hartford about 2 minutes from Anytime Fitness. It is nice 24 hour gym but in my opinion too pricey for what you get. They charge around $30-35 a month but don't have a pool, basketball courts, free classes, etc., which usually come with a gym in that price range.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm

mreocc wrote:
mebo28 wrote:Hey,

has anyone looked at anytime fitness? That is pretty close too.


Hi guys, I'll be attending UConn in the fall!

I live in West Hartford about 2 minutes from Anytime Fitness. It is nice 24 hour gym but in my opinion too pricey for what you get. They charge around $30-35 a month but don't have a pool, basketball courts, free classes, etc., which usually come with a gym in that price range.


Hi there! Good to see another future UConn student & thanks for the tip about Anytime Fitness. I'm planning on checking them out when I move, which will probably be in August. Hurrah for moving during summer, so fun and brutal.

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby voltage88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 am

Can anyone give me a sense of the kind of city Hartford is? I've visited Storrs before but never Hartford. I hope to God Hartford is nothing like Storrs...I'm pretty sure it's not cosmopolitan and from what I've read it doesn't sound like a college town either. Also, is the city runner-friendly? Are there outdoor parks where people can run? Thanks!

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby downing » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks all about the gym info. It looks like the consensus is that UConn lacks a gym worth going to, which means I'll now be able to search around for something around the area in advance, or just buy a daunting set of weights. ^^

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 am

voltage88 wrote:Can anyone give me a sense of the kind of city Hartford is? I've visited Storrs before but never Hartford. I hope to God Hartford is nothing like Storrs...I'm pretty sure it's not cosmopolitan and from what I've read it doesn't sound like a college town either. Also, is the city runner-friendly? Are there outdoor parks where people can run? Thanks!


Hartford is nothing like Storrs. Its a bit of a craphole honestly. However, the LS is closer to West Hartford, which is very nice and fairly upscale. There are parts that would seem "college town-y", the Trinity people on here can expound on that I'm sure.
There are plenty of great bars, restaurants, there's the XL center and the Bushnell...there's shit to do, there's action..but its no Boston/NYC etc.
As far as cosmopolitan-again its not NYC, but its not backwoods redneckville like Storrs can be. The population is fairly diverse, there's something for everyone.
Yes you can run, and there are parks, and the tracks at the local schools are usually open.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
voltage88 wrote:Can anyone give me a sense of the kind of city Hartford is? I've visited Storrs before but never Hartford. I hope to God Hartford is nothing like Storrs...I'm pretty sure it's not cosmopolitan and from what I've read it doesn't sound like a college town either. Also, is the city runner-friendly? Are there outdoor parks where people can run? Thanks!


Hartford is nothing like Storrs. Its a bit of a craphole honestly. However, the LS is closer to West Hartford, which is very nice and fairly upscale. There are parts that would seem "college town-y", the Trinity people on here can expound on that I'm sure.
There are plenty of great bars, restaurants, there's the XL center and the Bushnell...there's shit to do, there's action..but its no Boston/NYC etc.
As far as cosmopolitan-again its not NYC, but its not backwoods redneckville like Storrs can be. The population is fairly diverse, there's something for everyone.
Yes you can run, and there are parks, and the tracks at the local schools are usually open.


You rang?

Hartford, to be frank, kind of sucks. And I say that as someone that has this weird love/hate relationship with the city. The good things about it are that it's small, so you can escape it quickly ;), there are some good restaurants/bars downtown (there actually is a brewery that gets fairly decent stand up comedians which I like) and I remember (vaguely) at least one or two loud dancy giant bars. If you're willing to venture into the more dodgy neighborhoods, I've had some AMAZING food there - Brazilian, legit Italian, Afghan and Indian cuisine to name a few.

There's a pretty solid pub called Half Door right near the law school campus (walking distance), and, one of my favorite restaurant/bars, The Wood N Tap, is not too far away. I think the law school sometimes has events there. They have excellent nachos, and this burger that combines bacon, bleu cheese and meat which results in great victory. Also, the campus is near a Brazilian steakhouse that a lot of people rave about. I've never been to it personally, but it comes highly recommended.

As Elvis Aaron said, though, the law school is much closer to West Hartford. I think it actually would take you as long if not longer to get to downtown Hartford as it would to W. Hartford Center. I personally am really looking forward to living in W. Hartford. The downtown has cute, nice restaurants ranging from fancy dinner places to bagels to Ben and Jerry's. There's a movie theater, lots of shops (everything from Ann Taylor to Crate N Barrel to Barnes and Noble. It's almost like an outdoor mall) and it's all in a nice, walkable area. I didn't go out drinking too much in W. Hartford when I was in undergrad, so I'm not as familiar with bars in the area, but I'd guess that they are present. The one thing I can't really speak to in the Hartford area are clubs on account of I fear dancing.

I'm not too sure about running, honestly. I'd say downtown Hartford is not runner friendly, but I'd guess the law school neighborhood and West Hartford may be. I'll try and ask around to some of my friends in the area and see what they say.

There's also a very good mall and shopping center (with a Best Buy, Trader Joe's, EMS, Sears and then a HUGE Target down the road) within a 15-20 minute drive of the law school campus. There are a few venues in Hartford that get some decent shows, a minor league hockey team that I've never seen play and other events. It's not NYC, but you can definitely have fun in the greater Hartford area. It is NOTHING like Storrs.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be glad to give it a go. I went to undergrad in a crappy section of Hartford from 02-06, so some of my details might be outdated, but I have general sense of what goes on in the city and the surrounding towns.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 am

Wood N Tap FTW! Calamari w/the aoli, App salad and Ken's Favorite (bleu burger) mmmm.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby Heartford » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm

The above analyses are, in my opinion, accurate.

Quick annotations:

1) the shopping mall referred to by snappy snapperson is called West Farms, which is only important because when you say "I'm going to West Farms" you are also talking about the shopping area adjacent to the mall, where Best Buy and Trader Joe's live.

2) West Hartford area is runner-friendly, especially if you go to the back roads, like Fern Street instead of Farmington Ave. There's also a park near campus with some pathways, basketball courts, baseball field, and a beautiful rose garden. It's called Elizabeth Park. People are always running around there.

3) In my opinion, if Stoors and Hartford merged, it would be a functional college town. Hartford lacks that which Stoors has, and vice versa. We have no central student area, no giant school store, no housing, no dairy bar, no real student community. But we have buildings and roads. :)

Seriously though, a lot of people are hesitant to come to Hartford because compared to a place like NYC, there's really nothing to do. It's an understandable concern, but kind of a funny one when you consider the reason you'd be moving here, which is to attend law school. Do you think students at NYU and Fordham spend a lot of time going to Broadway shows, Yankee games, concerts, museums, etc? I have a feeling they spend most of their time either staring at a book or hanging out in a tiny bar, just like we do here in Hartford. It's law school. There is no time for entertainment.

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby voltage88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Great information here. Thanks for all the replies. So as the last poster says, law students are busy and there is very little time for entertainment. That being said, what is a typical Friday/Saturday night for a UConn law student? Bars? Clubs? House parties?....Studying? :cry:

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Heartford wrote:Seriously though, a lot of people are hesitant to come to Hartford because compared to a place like NYC, there's really nothing to do. It's an understandable concern, but kind of a funny one when you consider the reason you'd be moving here, which is to attend law school. Do you think students at NYU and Fordham spend a lot of time going to Broadway shows, Yankee games, concerts, museums, etc? I have a feeling they spend most of their time either staring at a book or hanging out in a tiny bar, just like we do here in Hartford. It's law school. There is no time for entertainment.


I agree with this wholeheartedly.

However, I think you need to look beyond the initial surface of the question. UConn is a regional school, therefore, many of us will be stuck in the area after we graduate - which means we need to live there. Once we graduate, we may at some point if we are lucky, have time to enjoy the surrounding area. Therefore, when I ask what is there to do, or how is it there, it is not really because of law school it is because I will probably be living there for a lot longer than just law school.

I think you can get what I am hinting at, but if not - is this an area I want to start my career in/live for the next 8-10 years, start a family, buy a house, work, etc.

I do appreciate what everyone has said though. I have started to feel more comfortable with the idea of living there. You will have to excuse me because I am from MA and love my MA cities - except for Springfield, which I figured may be like Hartford. Plus, I have only driven through Hartford during rush hour and in the middle of the night and didn't think to fond of it each time I have driven through.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby Heartford » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:18 pm

mebo28 wrote:
Heartford wrote:Seriously though, a lot of people are hesitant to come to Hartford because compared to a place like NYC, there's really nothing to do. It's an understandable concern, but kind of a funny one when you consider the reason you'd be moving here, which is to attend law school. Do you think students at NYU and Fordham spend a lot of time going to Broadway shows, Yankee games, concerts, museums, etc? I have a feeling they spend most of their time either staring at a book or hanging out in a tiny bar, just like we do here in Hartford. It's law school. There is no time for entertainment.


I agree with this wholeheartedly.

However, I think you need to look beyond the initial surface of the question. UConn is a regional school, therefore, many of us will be stuck in the area after we graduate - which means we need to live there. Once we graduate, we may at some point if we are lucky, have time to enjoy the surrounding area. Therefore, when I ask what is there to do, or how is it there, it is not really because of law school it is because I will probably be living there for a lot longer than just law school.

I think you can get what I am hinting at, but if not - is this an area I want to start my career in/live for the next 8-10 years, start a family, buy a house, work, etc.

I do appreciate what everyone has said though. I have started to feel more comfortable with the idea of living there. You will have to excuse me because I am from MA and love my MA cities - except for Springfield, which I figured may be like Hartford. Plus, I have only driven through Hartford during rush hour and in the middle of the night and didn't think to fond of it each time I have driven through.


You have a great point there re: Hartford after law school.

Also: I've been to Springfield. I'd rather hang out in Hartford.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Heartford wrote:
Also: I've been to Springfield. I'd rather hang out in Hartford.


I hope so. Springfield is terrible, but they do have somethings to do. I much prefer Worcester and Boston though.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 am

Wife is asking what people are wearing to ASD....anyone?

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Wife is asking what people are wearing to ASD....anyone?


Well, as I guy I will be wearing a polo and khakis. I have heard shirt and tie is too over dressed. I have also heard of people going in with very casually - although I would not do this. Business casual for me - I might wear sneakers since I plan to do some walking around.

My SO is wearing a white blouse, khaki or black skirt, and flats I believe. She may wear pants though depending how cold it is - I think its suppose to be warm though.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby Heartford » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:58 pm

ASD (and orientation, while I'm on the subject): dress however you want. There is absolutely no dress code. Shirt and tie? Ok, if it makes you comfortable. Sweatpants? Also ok, if it makes you comfortable.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Heartford wrote:ASD (and orientation, while I'm on the subject): dress however you want. There is absolutely no dress code. Shirt and tie? Ok, if it makes you comfortable. Sweatpants? Also ok, if it makes you comfortable.


Guess I'm wearing short shorts and a tube top.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you Hartford people could help me with some housing areas?

Where are good areas to find housing? Did you craigslist, or are there websites, or just door to door? Could you tell me what is a good price vs. a bad price on rentals in the area? Anyone know anything on Park Place Towers?

The first time I will be in the neighborhood will be this upcoming open house and I really do not know anything.

Also, I will be commuting to work back in MA (up 91), are areas like Windsor and such good places? I got about an hour commute from the law school to my work so I would not prefer to go too far west/south/east of Hartford - although I know north Hartford is not a good section, which is why I am asking.

Thanks.

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby lic06003 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 pm

mebo28 wrote:Hey,

I was wondering if any of you Hartford people could help me with some housing areas?

Where are good areas to find housing? Did you craigslist, or are there websites, or just door to door? Could you tell me what is a good price vs. a bad price on rentals in the area? Anyone know anything on Park Place Towers?

The first time I will be in the neighborhood will be this upcoming open house and I really do not know anything.

Also, I will be commuting to work back in MA (up 91), are areas like Windsor and such good places? I got about an hour commute from the law school to my work so I would not prefer to go too far west/south/east of Hartford - although I know north Hartford is not a good section, which is why I am asking.

Thanks.


I'm guessing you're going to be part-timing at uconn?

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:45 pm

lic06003 wrote:
mebo28 wrote:Hey,

I was wondering if any of you Hartford people could help me with some housing areas?

Where are good areas to find housing? Did you craigslist, or are there websites, or just door to door? Could you tell me what is a good price vs. a bad price on rentals in the area? Anyone know anything on Park Place Towers?

The first time I will be in the neighborhood will be this upcoming open house and I really do not know anything.

Also, I will be commuting to work back in MA (up 91), are areas like Windsor and such good places? I got about an hour commute from the law school to my work so I would not prefer to go too far west/south/east of Hartford - although I know north Hartford is not a good section, which is why I am asking.

Thanks.


I'm guessing you're going to be part-timing at uconn?


You would be correct. I may think about full-time after a year, but it might not be worth it to me, especially if economy still stinks. I figured, I can earn a little - and yes little - money, go to school at night, and hopefully after another 4 years of school the economy will be righting itself. Anyways, I'm not sure how hard I will find law school, so full-time might be too much for me, especially my first year. I'm only working part-time, around 25-30 hours a week.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests