UConn Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Bear46

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby Bear46 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:46 pm

I have one class on Friday but it's Criminal Law with Gustafson...maybe everyone has one class on Fridays now

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:11 pm

I have criminal and contracts on fri. Anyone else have a schedule where they have 4 classes tues, and 3 on wed thurs. I basically have 13 class sessions a week. It's a lot like my grad school schedule in terms of hours a day.

Bear46

Postby Bear46 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 pm

ran12 wrote:I have criminal and contracts on fri. Anyone else have a schedule where they have 4 classes tues, and 3 on wed thurs. I basically have 13 class sessions a week.

I have 2 classes every day other than Thursdays (3 - Torts, Lawyering Process, Contracts) and Fridays (1 - Criminal).

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:54 pm

ran12 wrote:
downing wrote:
mreocc wrote:Anyone else get stuck with a class on friday? I got my hopes up because at orientation they said 1Ls haven't had Friday classes in years yet I'mm taking contracts fridays 9-1015 :x

Yup, got contracts on Friday at the same time (9-10:15) with Strasser.

Looks like I'm in the same section as you guys.

+1 me too. At least we only have one Friday class and it's done early-ish!

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:43 pm

bjoscott wrote:Looks like I will also be attending in the Fall. I'm going part-time though. UConn was always my first choice since it is the shortest drive for me. I was not relishing the thought of having to commute to Boston through Providence to attend law school.

Anyone else going part-time in the evening?

I am

downing

Postby downing » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 am

snapdragon wrote:
ran12 wrote:
downing wrote:
mreocc wrote:Anyone else get stuck with a class on friday? I got my hopes up because at orientation they said 1Ls haven't had Friday classes in years yet I'mm taking contracts fridays 9-1015 :x

right; that leaves a lot of time to gun gun gun in the library!
jk :twisted:

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 pm

lic06003 wrote:
bjoscott wrote:Looks like I will also be attending in the Fall. I'm going part-time though. UConn was always my first choice since it is the shortest drive for me. I was not relishing the thought of having to commute to Boston through Providence to attend law school.

I am

I'm sure we'll be in the same section then. There is only one evening section, right?

chateauneuf

Postby chateauneuf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:44 am

snapdragon wrote:
ran12 wrote:
downing wrote:

Whew... haven't been on here for a while - been busy in NYC. I just looked at my schedule and I think I am in the same section as you guys! 9 AMs every day... well it's not as bad as my current hours, I guess.

I've heard good things about Barnes, so ConLaw should be interesting...

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

chateauneuf wrote:
Whew... haven't been on here for a while - been busy in NYC. I just looked at my schedule and I think I am in the same section as you guys! 9 AMs every day... well it's not as bad as my current hours, I guess.

I'm actually psyched about the 9ams. I'm used to getting up early now for work and if I had later start classes, I'm worried I'd just get into the habit of sleeping in too much.

downing

Postby downing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm

snapdragon wrote:
chateauneuf wrote:

I'm actually psyched about the 9ams. I'm used to getting up early now for work and if I had later start classes, I'm worried I'd just get into the habit of sleeping in too much.

9am isn't that early, especially if you live close to the campus. But you're lucky to already have accustomed your circadian cycle to the earliness of UCONN's 1L schedule. I'm going to retrain myself to wake up before 12:30....

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 pm

downing wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
chateauneuf wrote:

9am isn't that early, especially if you live close to the campus. But you're lucky to already have accustomed your circadian cycle to the earliness of UCONN's 1L schedule. I'm going to retrain myself to wake up before 12:30....

:oops: I sort of take a long time to get ready. That will probably be less time, since I won't be dressing up for work anymore, but most of my slow morning routine is honestly due to the fact that I move at a snail's pace before 8am.

bryntax

Postby bryntax » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 am

downing wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:what's that I hear? *leaves rustling; a worm pushing its way through moist soil...* Ah, okay.
Well I'm 100% going to UConn now. I already withdrew from my other schools, and I'm excited to be in CT in August.

I'm planning on living close to the school, within walking distance. But I know NE winters can be tough, and I'd need to get my groceries and on rare occasions hit the town for various amenities. Maybe even check out the nightlife once a month. How's the public transportation in the area? I wouldn't mind taking the bus from place to place, but the prospect of getting frostbite on my way to class in the morning is worrying. How necessary is a sturdy clunker for living in Hartford? Waste of money?

You need a car. Sorry dude, but there it is. I never found the bus system to be too great, and I don't think there are any grocery stores within walking distance of the campus.

Anyone who has more knowledge, please feel free to disagree :)

Ah darn. That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. -_-

This is me disagreeing :) I should say with a disclaimer that if you are really shy and also plan on living alone, a car MAY be good if you are otherwise lazy or unwilling to wait for buses. I haven't had a car this year and it's been fine - I went to the store with house/apartment/class mates when they were going, or took the bus. The bus system is pretty great, actually, for just getting where you need to go in the area. I also have a bike and ride to school very often.

Live close, bring a bike, get a bus pass. I love the bus, I meet all kinds of characters there. Farmington bus lines are your BFFLs, there is an Indian and Eastern European grocery about 5 blocks up (both are fan-fucking-tastic and everyone just drives right past them), sweet park downtown, Whole Foods and all that jazz down by West Hartford.

BONUS - never worry about what to do with your car during the many snow emergencies. :)

downing

Postby downing » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:21 am

bryntax wrote:
downing wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:what's that I hear? *leaves rustling; a worm pushing its way through moist soil...* Ah, okay.
Well I'm 100% going to UConn now. I already withdrew from my other schools, and I'm excited to be in CT in August.

I'm planning on living close to the school, within walking distance. But I know NE winters can be tough, and I'd need to get my groceries and on rare occasions hit the town for various amenities. Maybe even check out the nightlife once a month. How's the public transportation in the area? I wouldn't mind taking the bus from place to place, but the prospect of getting frostbite on my way to class in the morning is worrying. How necessary is a sturdy clunker for living in Hartford? Waste of money?

You need a car. Sorry dude, but there it is. I never found the bus system to be too great, and I don't think there are any grocery stores within walking distance of the campus.

Anyone who has more knowledge, please feel free to disagree :)

Ah darn. That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. -_-

This is me disagreeing :) I should say with a disclaimer that if you are really shy and also plan on living alone, a car MAY be good if you are otherwise lazy or unwilling to wait for buses. I haven't had a car this year and it's been fine - I went to the store with house/apartment/class mates when they were going, or took the bus. The bus system is pretty great, actually, for just getting where you need to go in the area. I also have a bike and ride to school very often.

Live close, bring a bike, get a bus pass. I love the bus, I meet all kinds of characters there. Farmington bus lines are your BFFLs, there is an Indian and Eastern European grocery about 5 blocks up (both are fan-fucking-tastic and everyone just drives right past them), sweet park downtown, Whole Foods and all that jazz down by West Hartford.

BONUS - never worry about what to do with your car during the many snow emergencies. :)

Supposing I live within a few blocks of the campus, will the freezing winter weather be an issue if I walk? I don't mind waiting for buses, but I'm worried about the distribution of bus stops around the UCONN Law area, and whether those buses go to any interesting places (malls, shopping centers, gyms, etc.). Getting a car would be very costly and I've been weighing the benefits and drawbacks of making the many automobile associated purchases (insurance, vehicle, repairs, oil changes).

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:28 pm

downing wrote:

Supposing I live within a few blocks of the campus, will the freezing winter weather be an issue if I walk? I don't mind waiting for buses, but I'm worried about the distribution of bus stops around the UCONN Law area, and whether those buses go to any interesting places (malls, shopping centers, gyms, etc.). Getting a car would be very costly and I've been weighing the benefits and drawbacks of making the many automobile associated purchases (insurance, vehicle, repairs, oil changes).

Caveat - I would still get a car.

I'm planning to walk to school every day (I am 90% on an apartment w/in a half mile of campus) and I've lived in New England winters all my life and have all the 9am classes. I think you'll be fine with a good coat. Become my friend and live nearby and I'll give you a ride when it's awful :)

You can take the bus to the mall, I did in undergrad and you do meet interesting people. I'm not as familiar with the buses on that side of town, but I will concede to Bryntax.

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 pm

bjoscott wrote:
lic06003 wrote:

I am

I'm sure we'll be in the same section then. There is only one evening section, right?

uhh i think so. i know a few other people in pt, and they all have the same classes. but i think there is one class that is different and the difference is b/w a 6 pm class or a 5 pm class.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Anybody else living at Regency Towers?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 pm

ran12 wrote:Anybody else living at Regency Towers?

Nope, but looks like it's really close to campus... convenient location!

When's everyone moving? I won't be til Aug 15th.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 pm

snapdragon wrote:

I'm looking at the 20th

downing

Postby downing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:15 am

ran12 wrote:
snapdragon wrote:

I'm looking at the 20th

Did you guys already find your apartments? I won't begin my apartment search until the first week of August, but I'm using padmapper.com right now (while I'm out of the country) to browse different possibilities. Looking to for something priced between 500 and 600.

I'm interested in this place: http://www.centerandsquare.com/ It looks like a decent location to hang out at and do some shopping and eating. Plus there's a Barnes and Nobles. Has anyone been there? Any impressions?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:00 am

downing wrote:
Did you guys already find your apartments? I won't begin my apartment search until the first week of August, but I'm using padmapper.com right now (while I'm out of the country) to browse different possibilities. Looking to for something priced between 500 and 600.

I'm interested in this place: http://www.centerandsquare.com/ It looks like a decent location to hang out at and do some shopping and eating. Plus there's a Barnes and Nobles. Has anyone been there? Any impressions?

Yup, I got my apt! I wanted to get it settled early, and I was looking for an apartment within walking distance of school.

Living in Blueback would be very fun. There's a lot of restaurants and shopping there. It is a bit further from school and I would guess more expensive than living in Hartford, but especially if you're going sans car, there is a LOT within walking distance. It's sort of like an outdoor mall.
Last edited by snapdragon on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:18 am

I checked out Blue Back when I was looking for a place. The area's pretty nice and it's about 2 miles from campus. The apartments I saw there were 1500+ for a 1br so it's not really worth it considering you would have to drive every day. August is kind of cutting it close.

downing

Postby downing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 am

snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:

Yup, I got my apt! I wanted to get it settled early, and I was looking for an apartment within walking distance of school.

Living in Blueback would be very fun. There's a lot of restaurants and shopping there. It is a bit further from school and I would guess more expensive than living in Hartford, but especially if you're going sans car, there is a LOT within walking distance. It's sort of like an outdoor mall.

Must feel nice to have your apartment already! The fun is really in furnishing it just right. I'm aching to buy the perfect table/desk where I'll surely spend countless hours.

I found the link from UConn's website - --LinkRemoved--
And I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are some entertainment zones close to the school, not like we'll all be spending every day there, but it's nice to get out once in awhile. I'm planning to live as close to the school as possible though. I suppose there are bus routes to Blue Back/ West Hartford?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 am

downing wrote:
Must feel nice to have your apartment already! The fun is really in furnishing it just right. I'm aching to buy the perfect table/desk where I'll surely spend countless hours.

I found the link from UConn's website - --LinkRemoved--
And I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are some entertainment zones close to the school, not like we'll all be spending every day there, but it's nice to get out once in awhile. I'm planning to live as close to the school as possible though. I suppose there are bus routes to Blue Back/ West Hartford?

Yeah, it does feel nice, like a huge weight off my shoulders. Unless, you know, something goes horribly, terribly wrong.

As far as bus routes, I will leave that to Bryntax / Heartford. But there's definitely fun to be had around the school. Half Door is a decent Irish pub within walking distance of campus, Blueback / West Hartford has all kinds of restaurants/bars/etc (even a Cheesecake Factory, if you're into that sort of thing). I hear there's even laser tag up on the Berlin Turnpike.

BrittaBot

Postby BrittaBot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Does anyone know when we get our loan disbursements? Do we have to wait until school starts, or can we get it sooner?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm

I think loans are disbursed once classes start so could be up to a week to actually be able to use the money. From what I've read, law students have to actually request a refund and then pick up a check at the bursar's office. Seems like an unnecessarily tedious process.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”