UConn Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
lek42689
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby lek42689 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey everyone! I just decided to definitely attend UCONN in the fall so I am pretty excited!!

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby downing » Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Argh, I was pining for it... but no OS tuition remission.

Let's see... OS 1st year estimated cost: 62,000 plus IS 2nd and 3rd year estimated costs(total):77,556... Total: 139,556... omg omg omg omg *faints*

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 pm

downing wrote:Argh, I was pining for it... but no OS tuition remission.

Let's see... OS 1st year estimated cost: 62,000 plus IS 2nd and 3rd year estimated costs(total):77,556... Total: 139,556... omg omg omg omg *faints*


There, there. I'm getting the debt panic too, so I hear you.

Sorry I've been a bad thread resident lately, actually been doing work at work :o Crazy, no?

I'm hoping we get put on an email list or something soon. The control freak side of my mind is stressing because I have no roommate yet and 1 brs / studios seem more than I really want to spend.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue May 03, 2011 3:35 pm

downing wrote:Argh, I was pining for it... but no OS tuition remission.

Let's see... OS 1st year estimated cost: 62,000 plus IS 2nd and 3rd year estimated costs(total):77,556... Total: 139,556... omg omg omg omg *faints*


That seems ridic high, and an insane debtload to take on for a school outside the T50. What are you factoring in there, are you planning to just live 100% off loans for 3 years??

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby downing » Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:Argh, I was pining for it... but no OS tuition remission.

Let's see... OS 1st year estimated cost: 62,000 plus IS 2nd and 3rd year estimated costs(total):77,556... Total: 139,556... omg omg omg omg *faints*


There, there. I'm getting the debt panic too, so I hear you.

Sorry I've been a bad thread resident lately, actually been doing work at work :o Crazy, no?

I'm hoping we get put on an email list or something soon. The control freak side of my mind is stressing because I have no roommate yet and 1 brs / studios seem more than I really want to spend.


--ImageRemoved--

I'd be raising my hand to search for apartments with you as a future roommate if I were in the area - alas I don't plan to be in CT until late July/ early August. Also hoping to find a roommate. That would shave off over 10,000 in the long run (that is if you're paying 400-450 instead of the usual 750) total rent: 16,200 vs. 27,540. Amt saved: 11,349 = definitely worth it to find a roommate.

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby downing » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
downing wrote:Argh, I was pining for it... but no OS tuition remission.

Let's see... OS 1st year estimated cost: 62,000 plus IS 2nd and 3rd year estimated costs(total):77,556... Total: 139,556... omg omg omg omg *faints*


That seems ridic high, and an insane debtload to take on for a school outside the T50. What are you factoring in there, are you planning to just live 100% off loans for 3 years??


The grand total is a bit exaggerated:
--ImageRemoved--

The chart assumes that you'll be paying so and so for this or that, when it can't really know, so one can cut this enormous debt down by performing a few actions. Finding a roommate and sharing a 2 bedroom (if you're lucky enough to find one between 850-900)and subletting during the summer while staying with your parents (again, if you can find someone to fill your shoes for a few months) will save a bundle.
The estimated cost of living and attendance includes board and misc as separate categories, but one could consider them a single category adding up to 4896/365 = app. 13.4 a day. If you can spend less than that on a daily basis - supposing you spend 5 a day, then the 4896 magically deteriorates to 1825 per yea in total board and misc. costs. At the end of your 3 years you'll save 9120 dollars. Realistically, if you find a job or live with your parents during the summer, you won't really be paying for board or miscellaneous costs, and that's minus another 114 days out of the year; so if you can manage to spend far less than 19 a day for app. 251(365-114) days, then you'll be saving a ton, and hopefully with a job you'll be making something too.
The transportation costs, for me, are a hugely exaggerated on the chart. 1274 a year equates to 3.4 a day - and less if I move in with my parents over summer or get a job. I'm planning to live within walking distance of the school, and I'm hoping only to use the bus on rare trips to the supermarket.

Just gotta stay away from those delicious Starbucks lattes. Going to buy myself a coffee maker.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:09 pm

snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:Argh, I was pining for it... but no OS tuition remission.

Let's see... OS 1st year estimated cost: 62,000 plus IS 2nd and 3rd year estimated costs(total):77,556... Total: 139,556... omg omg omg omg *faints*


There, there. I'm getting the debt panic too, so I hear you.

Sorry I've been a bad thread resident lately, actually been doing work at work :o Crazy, no?

I'm hoping we get put on an email list or something soon. The control freak side of my mind is stressing because I have no roommate yet and 1 brs / studios seem more than I really want to spend.


Yes, same here. But I won't most likely be looking until middle of July. Still, I would like a list to see who needs roommates. 1 beds and studios are way overprice seeing how for like $200 extra you can get a 2 bedroom.

I don't really want to rent out a room in someone's house either....grrr

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Wed May 04, 2011 2:32 pm

downing wrote:
Just gotta stay away from those delicious Starbucks lattes. Going to buy myself a coffee maker.


People that are my roommates will have free use of a Keurig :wink: Just saying....

Also, general price that I'm shooting for is between $1000-$1300 / month for a 2br apt (so between $500-$650 per person). I wouldn't count much on subletting, unfortunately, and I haven't seen much on the low end of that unless you're getting into actually living in H-ford, in which case, choose your neighborhood wisely.

The good news is, I was reading that the Half Door has $2 Irish drafts on Wednesday. Plan accordingly!

This Moi
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby This Moi » Wed May 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I'll be there! Never thought I'd be excited to get back to school, but my job is driving me to that point haha.

I'm going to throw my hat in for the roommate search - I think I read that the school may put together a list at some point, but I'm driving myself crazy stalking Craigslist and the like lately anyway. I'm moving from MA so I have pretty limited familiarity with the area, but I think ideally I'd like to end up in West Hartford. I'm also open to living in any of the surrounding towns like Manchester, New Britain, etc. I'm easy to live with (as my friend so lovingly put it, I'm "laid-back to the point of being dead"...faaaaantastic) and I make a mean oatmeal raisin cookie. If that sounds good...get at me!

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby downing » Thu May 05, 2011 1:19 am

This Moi wrote:I'll be there! Never thought I'd be excited to get back to school, but my job is driving me to that point haha.

I'm going to throw my hat in for the roommate search - I think I read that the school may put together a list at some point, but I'm driving myself crazy stalking Craigslist and the like lately anyway. I'm moving from MA so I have pretty limited familiarity with the area, but I think ideally I'd like to end up in West Hartford. I'm also open to living in any of the surrounding towns like Manchester, New Britain, etc. I'm easy to live with (as my friend so lovingly put it, I'm "laid-back to the point of being dead"...faaaaantastic) and I make a mean oatmeal raisin cookie. If that sounds good...get at me!



Soon after I started work as a teacher in Korea I began dreaming about school again, though that was undergrad, and law school is going to be a whole other story. Still - yay for studying and lucubration.

I don't have a car so I'm going to search for apartments within walking distance of the law school.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 am

The obvious response is TLS house ;)

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby downing » Thu May 05, 2011 11:49 am

snapdragon wrote:The obvious response is TLS house ;)



uh whaaaat? Is that like a hostel for pretentious 0Ls? :-p

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 05, 2011 12:30 pm

downing wrote:
snapdragon wrote:The obvious response is TLS house ;)



uh whaaaat? Is that like a hostel for pretentious 0Ls? :-p


Haha, I like the pretentious hostel idea, but I meant more that all 4-6 of us that post here find a house and rent it and create a triumphant flag to hang from the doorway. Like a frat, only, you know, way more nerdy and full of people that met on the internet.

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:
snapdragon wrote:The obvious response is TLS house ;)



uh whaaaat? Is that like a hostel for pretentious 0Ls? :-p


Haha, I like the pretentious hostel idea, but I meant more that all 4-6 of us that post here find a house and rent it and create a triumphant flag to hang from the doorway. Like a frat, only, you know, way more nerdy and full of people that met on the internet.


Haha. If I was still going back to undergrad, I would probably be all over that. Now, that frightens me lol. I need quiet and no distractions. Dealing with 1 other person is fine, 4-6 I dunno lol....although I guess it may help to study.

Seriously though, I'm glad I'm not the only one looking at CL like everyday to see whats available and prices. Ideally, I want something cheap, close enough to walk to the school, has off street parking, quiet, and where I can have a person spend the night once or twice a month - how bout that?...now how many of those things can I actually get...hmm...

User avatar
mebo28
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mebo28 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 pm

mebo28 wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:
snapdragon wrote:The obvious response is TLS house ;)



uh whaaaat? Is that like a hostel for pretentious 0Ls? :-p


Haha, I like the pretentious hostel idea, but I meant more that all 4-6 of us that post here find a house and rent it and create a triumphant flag to hang from the doorway. Like a frat, only, you know, way more nerdy and full of people that met on the internet.


Haha. If I was still going back to undergrad, I would probably be all over that. Now, that frightens me lol. I need quiet and no distractions. Dealing with 1 other person is fine, 4-6 I dunno lol....although I guess it may help to study.

Seriously though, I'm glad I'm not the only one looking at CL like everyday to see whats available and prices. Ideally, I want something cheap, close enough to walk to the school, has off street parking, quiet, and where I can have a person spend the night once or twice a month - how bout that?...now how many of those things can I actually get...hmm...


So interestingly, a 4 or 5 bedroom suite/house is actually pretty reasonable...and I can get 3 to all 5 of the things I have listed as ideal....that's not too bad. However, I am skeptical about heat. I remember at open house they said to get heat included b/c its very very expensive in the winter.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 pm

I don't think most houses would include heat. It's not TERRIBLE but it's certainly a factor, especially if you're coming from a warm climate.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Housing stuff has been posted on the UConn FB page..

This Moi
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby This Moi » Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 pm

snapdragon wrote:Haha, I like the pretentious hostel idea, but I meant more that all 4-6 of us that post here find a house and rent it and create a triumphant flag to hang from the doorway. Like a frat, only, you know, way more nerdy and full of people that met on the internet.


That is an excellent idea. Especially because the flag makes it seem pirate-y, and this whole law thing was kind of my fallback plan when I realized that being a pirate wasn't really a viable career option.

glolaw
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby glolaw » Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 pm

at the risk of sounding dumb, is there a UCONN 2014 facebook group? and where is this housing list everybody's talking about?

mack2215
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby mack2215 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:40 am

******************
Last edited by mack2215 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 am

This Moi wrote:
snapdragon wrote:Haha, I like the pretentious hostel idea, but I meant more that all 4-6 of us that post here find a house and rent it and create a triumphant flag to hang from the doorway. Like a frat, only, you know, way more nerdy and full of people that met on the internet.


That is an excellent idea. Especially because the flag makes it seem pirate-y, and this whole law thing was kind of my fallback plan when I realized that being a pirate wasn't really a viable career option.


I used to tell my friends I was definitely going to UMaine Law, since they offer a course called "Law of the Sea" and that I would open up my own practice on a sailboat, roaming the Atlantic and bringing order to the waters.

Needless to say, they are extremely disappointed with my real choice.

InsuranceGeek10
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby InsuranceGeek10 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:55 am

I've been living alone while working over the past few years, but costs are dictating that I'll need a roommate too. I'm in the area and am looking for a two bedroom to share with someone else. Craigslist has some decent two bdrms right now, in June and July you'll see the supply swell a bit.

At ASD I remember hearing that the school will post a "roommate list" of some kind. Does anyone know if that's happened yet?

ps: For those of you not from the area - the West End of Hartford has better deals than West Hartford most of the time. Similar house, similar area, and usually $300 less per month.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 9:51 am

InsuranceGeek10 wrote:
At ASD I remember hearing that the school will post a "roommate list" of some kind. Does anyone know if that's happened yet?
.


That's sort of what I'm interested in. I wonder if they're waiting til after second deposit? They've posted the housing list, and some of the listings there look like they're of people (current law students & otherwise) looking for roommates, but it doesn't look like there's any 0L looking for roommate sorts.

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby lic06003 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 am

thank God I'll be living at home so I dont have to worry about COL. Gas prices are going to suck though.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Postby snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 am

lic06003 wrote:thank God I'll be living at home so I dont have to worry about COL. Gas prices are going to suck though.


I'm curious, lic, how far away is home? I'm debating living at my parents' for 2L and/or 3L, but their house is about an hour from campus, and I'm a bit nervous that's going to be far enough away to impact studying/extracurriculars.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest