UConn Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
lic06003

New

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Post by lic06003 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:31 am

snapdragon wrote:
lic06003 wrote:thank God I'll be living at home so I dont have to worry about COL. Gas prices are going to suck though.
I'm curious, lic, how far away is home? I'm debating living at my parents' for 2L and/or 3L, but their house is about an hour from campus, and I'm a bit nervous that's going to be far enough away to impact studying/extracurriculars.
About the same as you, roughly 45 minutes. But its all back roads, on a good day I can make it there in 1/2 hour. I'm a grandma type driver, I know friends who zoom and make it there in 20 minutes with traffic. Imma be a part-time student so living near the school is not too much of a concern for me.
Plus after living 4 years with roomies in an apt, it's nice to move back home to a big bedroom and not pay grocery bills etc.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 pm

lic06003 wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
lic06003 wrote:thank God I'll be living at home so I dont have to worry about COL. Gas prices are going to suck though.
I'm curious, lic, how far away is home? I'm debating living at my parents' for 2L and/or 3L, but their house is about an hour from campus, and I'm a bit nervous that's going to be far enough away to impact studying/extracurriculars.
About the same as you, roughly 45 minutes. But its all back roads, on a good day I can make it there in 1/2 hour. I'm a grandma type driver, I know friends who zoom and make it there in 20 minutes with traffic. Imma be a part-time student so living near the school is not too much of a concern for me.
Plus after living 4 years with roomies in an apt, it's nice to move back home to a big bedroom and not pay grocery bills etc.
A-ha. Mine is hour at least and all I84, which I think might be tougher.

lic06003

New

Post by lic06003 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:44 pm

snapdragon wrote:
lic06003 wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
A-ha. Mine is hour at least and all I84, which I think might be tougher.
which town do you, or parents, live in?

InsuranceGeek10

New

Post by InsuranceGeek10 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:51 pm

snapdragon wrote: That's sort of what I'm interested in. I wonder if they're waiting til after second deposit? They've posted the housing list, and some of the listings there look like they're of people (current law students & otherwise) looking for roommates, but it doesn't look like there's any 0L looking for roommate sorts.
Is this list in the "housing" section of the new admit page on the website? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I received my UConn ID and password in order to access that site. Have you guys all gotten your login IDs?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri May 06, 2011 12:53 pm

InsuranceGeek10 wrote:
snapdragon wrote: That's sort of what I'm interested in. I wonder if they're waiting til after second deposit? They've posted the housing list, and some of the listings there look like they're of people (current law students & otherwise) looking for roommates, but it doesn't look like there's any 0L looking for roommate sorts.
Is this list in the "housing" section of the new admit page on the website? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I received my UConn ID and password in order to access that site. Have you guys all gotten your login IDs?
It's actually posted on the fb group. There is a link to it and username/password for us to use there - http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk= ... 22918&ap=1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 am

Hello-

I am applying to UConn law in the fall, but I am getting my letters of recommendation squared away now so I have less to do come fall. I would like to send my recommenders my application essay (or essays), to aid them in writing. However UConn's application won't be up until September. Does anyone remember what the essay prompts were? I'd like to send draft responses to my professors as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help,
Kyle

mack2215

New

Post by mack2215 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:49 am

Last edited by mack2215 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon May 09, 2011 12:23 pm

I think they've asked "Why law?" for the past couple of years, so I'd expect that to be the case again.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:43 pm

snapdragon wrote:I think they've asked "Why law?" for the past couple of years, so I'd expect that to be the case again.
Yea they have been asking that. If they ask for a general one for the upcoming cycle, why law still works so can't go wrong with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks!

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm a CT resident and planning to apply this fall. My undergrad GPA was 3.36 (anthropology) from GWU. What LSAT score do you think I would need to achieve in order to have a good chance of acceptance to UConn?

Also, do you think law schools care about extra-curricular experience like archaeological digs and internships? Deciding whether to mention this in my application. It seems tangentially relevant as I am interested in environmental and cultural heritage law.

Thanks
Kyle

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 pm

jemenfous5 wrote:I'm a CT resident and planning to apply this fall. My undergrad GPA was 3.36 (anthropology) from GWU. What LSAT score do you think I would need to achieve in order to have a good chance of acceptance to UConn?

Also, do you think law schools care about extra-curricular experience like archaeological digs and internships? Deciding whether to mention this in my application. It seems tangentially relevant as I am interested in environmental and cultural heritage law.

Thanks
Kyle
Fellow Colonial here. Prob need a low 160 range LSAT to get in. If you apply early, considering your CT residency, should have a good shot. I think the experiences you've had might help b/c they bring a unique aspect to the class.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 am

ran12 wrote:
jemenfous5 wrote:I'm a CT resident and planning to apply this fall. My undergrad GPA was 3.36 (anthropology) from GWU. What LSAT score do you think I would need to achieve in order to have a good chance of acceptance to UConn?

Thanks
Kyle
Fellow Colonial here. Prob need a low 160 range LSAT to get in. If you apply early, considering your CT residency, should have a good shot. I think the experiences you've had might help b/c they bring a unique aspect to the class.
I would agree with the low 160 range. If you break 160, you should have a decent shot.

And general wisdom is that unless your extracurricular is curing cancer, the school cares to some extent, but the bulk of what weighs into their decision is GPA and LSAT. So break into the 160-162 range, apply early (this is important) and you should have a strong shot. In the 163+ range that improves.

Good luck on the LSAT :)

(ran12, are you coming to UConn next year?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 am

Thanks
Kyle
What snapdragon said. I was accepted shortly after applying with a 3.24 and 165. Still on numerous waitlists at other schools.
Apparently there's a music group at UConn law called "Undercover": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbn8Y23uoJQ
Too bad they didn't make a video and set it to ATL for the Law Revue Video Contests.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am

snapdragon wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Thanks
Kyle
I would agree with the low 160 range. If you break 160, you should have a decent shot.

And general wisdom is that unless your extracurricular is curing cancer, the school cares to some extent, but the bulk of what weighs into their decision is GPA and LSAT. So break into the 160-162 range, apply early (this is important) and you should have a strong shot. In the 163+ range that improves.

Planning on going to UConn but could go elsewhere depending on WL decisions.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 am

ran12 wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Thanks
Kyle

Glad to be over the WL waiting. The only schools I would have waited for indefinitely have already graciously rejected me, and the few law schools that I might have considered seriously initially are rather expensive in retrospect, and they've also waited far too long to seduce me. I've already been seduced by UConn's gothic campus. *turns into a bat and flies into the vortex*

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue May 10, 2011 12:09 pm

ran12 wrote:
Well then, welcome! Even if temporarily ;)

I'm still riding out the W&M WL, but, even though they were my first choice, I am not sure I could justify the debt if I were admitted. At this point, W&M would be approx 2x the cost of UConn, and I'm already nervous about debt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 pm

snapdragon wrote:
ran12 wrote:
Well then, welcome! Even if temporarily ;)

I'm still riding out the W&M WL, but, even though they were my first choice, I am not sure I could justify the debt if I were admitted. At this point, W&M would be approx 2x the cost of UConn, and I'm already nervous about debt.
In all honesty I'm also waiting for them, but I really wonder about whether I'd attend even if I was accepted. Nothing like in-state, even if you'd need to wait a year to be eligible. Almost a game-killer.

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:22 pm

How early is early? I am taking the LSAT in October, so the earliest my application would be complete is at the end of October when the scores come in. I could technically still register for the June LSAT and pay the late fee, but that would only give me a month to study. Would it be possible and/or worth it to take the June test with one month prep?

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:41 pm

jemenfous5 wrote:How early is early? I am taking the LSAT in October, so the earliest my application would be complete is at the end of October when the scores come in. I could technically still register for the June LSAT and pay the late fee, but that would only give me a month to study. Would it be possible and/or worth it to take the June test with one month prep?
Do not take the June test. One month is not enough. Study this summer, do well on October, and apply as soon as scores are released...so Nov. 1st. This is still relatively early. Worse case you do bad in Oct and take December...but now you will be in the later section.

This is what I and many friends I know did and we were all fine.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 am

mebo28 wrote:
jemenfous5 wrote:How early is early? I am taking the LSAT in October, so the earliest my application would be complete is at the end of October when the scores come in. I could technically still register for the June LSAT and pay the late fee, but that would only give me a month to study. Would it be possible and/or worth it to take the June test with one month prep?
Do not take the June test. One month is not enough. Study this summer, do well on October, and apply as soon as scores are released...so Nov. 1st. This is still relatively early. Worse case you do bad in Oct and take December...but now you will be in the later section.

This is what I and many friends I know did and we were all fine.
I'd disagree - I'd say take both but plan on applying after the Oct test. If you have the time/money to take June as well, it may be good to get one "real" LSAT in before you have to apply.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jemenfous5

New

Post by jemenfous5 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:20 am

What is the word limit for Uconn's essays (required as well as optional). I want to write them today.

Thanks!

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Fri May 13, 2011 11:24 am

For the required essay the expected page-length is about 2 pages, and if I remember correctly they would prefer if you focused your essay on your intent and desire to study law, and how you've arrived at that decision. They made a point of mentioning that. Not sure about the optional, but I'm sure if you keep it from 1-2 pages you'll remain in safe territory.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Fri May 20, 2011 1:25 pm

what's that I hear? *leaves rustling; a worm pushing its way through moist soil...* Ah, okay.
Well I'm 100% going to UConn now. I already withdrew from my other schools, and I'm excited to be in CT in August.

I'm planning on living close to the school, within walking distance. But I know NE winters can be tough, and I'd need to get my groceries and on rare occasions hit the town for various amenities. Maybe even check out the nightlife once a month. How's the public transportation in the area? I wouldn't mind taking the bus from place to place, but the prospect of getting frostbite on my way to class in the morning is worrying. How necessary is a sturdy clunker for living in Hartford? Waste of money?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 pm

downing wrote:what's that I hear? *leaves rustling; a worm pushing its way through moist soil...* Ah, okay.
Well I'm 100% going to UConn now. I already withdrew from my other schools, and I'm excited to be in CT in August.

I'm planning on living close to the school, within walking distance. But I know NE winters can be tough, and I'd need to get my groceries and on rare occasions hit the town for various amenities. Maybe even check out the nightlife once a month. How's the public transportation in the area? I wouldn't mind taking the bus from place to place, but the prospect of getting frostbite on my way to class in the morning is worrying. How necessary is a sturdy clunker for living in Hartford? Waste of money?
You need a car. Sorry dude, but there it is. I never found the bus system to be too great, and I don't think there are any grocery stores within walking distance of the campus.

Anyone who has more knowledge, please feel free to disagree :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”