UConn Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Heartford

Bronze

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Post by Heartford » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:17 pm

ran12 wrote:I think loans are disbursed once classes start so could be up to a week to actually be able to use the money. From what I've read, law students have to actually request a refund and then pick up a check at the bursar's office. Seems like an unnecessarily tedious process.
100% correct, except for the requesting refund part. So actually maybe more like 80% correct. Still, great job. During the first week of classes the office will contact you to let you know that your check is ready.

Tom Collins

New

Post by Tom Collins » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Joining this conversation a bit late. After months of clinging to some waitlists, I finally visited CT this weekend and made up my mind to enroll. Greatly looking forward to attending this lovely school and becoming a Husky! :D

My SO and I will soon be making a cross-county roadtrip from San Francisco -- where we've worked for the past 3 years -- and plan to arrive around August 15. He'll be a graduate student at the Storrs campus, so we're aiming to settle down in Vernon or Manchester to make our commutes roughly equal. Is anyone else living this far away from the law school? (I don't want the distance to make me a complete pariah.)

Glad to see there are some other committed relationship/yuppie/enophile types represented here. Let's have some get-togethers before the reality of law school sets in! (Will circle back on this mid-August.)

mebo28

New

Post by mebo28 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey guys,

So my future roommate just ditched me last minute on a room. Is there anyone still looking for a male roommate? I'm pretty desperate now.

bjoscott

New

Post by bjoscott » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Tom Collins wrote:Is anyone else living this far away from the law school? (I don't want the distance to make me a complete pariah.)
There are a few of us old timers who are anchored to our current communities that aren't so close. I, for one, live in Rhode Island and am looking forward to my 1+ hour commute each direction three nights a week. :roll: On the bright side though, it sure beats going up to Boston! :D

I don't see how living a distance from the school will make you a pariah in any way...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Anyone going to the pre-orientation baseball game?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 pm

ran12 wrote:Anyone going to the pre-orientation baseball game?
I'm thinking yes, I'll probably be moved in by that point anyway..

BrittaBot

New

Post by BrittaBot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:16 am

100% correct, except for the requesting refund part. So actually maybe more like 80% correct. Still, great job. During the first week of classes the office will contact you to let you know that your check is ready.
Ok, great, thanks. So we really don't have to do anything more with that except wait for that email? :lol:

I'm still debating the baseball game…I just really LOATHE baseball.

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 am

Tom Collins wrote:Joining this conversation a bit late. After months of clinging to some waitlists, I finally visited CT this weekend and made up my mind to enroll. Greatly looking forward to attending this lovely school and becoming a Husky! :D

My SO and I will soon be making a cross-county roadtrip from San Francisco -- where we've worked for the past 3 years -- and plan to arrive around August 15. He'll be a graduate student at the Storrs campus, so we're aiming to settle down in Vernon or Manchester to make our commutes roughly equal. Is anyone else living this far away from the law school? (I don't want the distance to make me a complete pariah.)

Glad to see there are some other committed relationship/yuppie/enophile types represented here. Let's have some get-togethers before the reality of law school sets in! (Will circle back on this mid-August.)

Congrats on making the decision on UConn! Definitely a committed relationship type here...my husband and I will be living in Middletown because he works in Groton so we had to find a place between the two cities. Good luck on the move! What's your SO studying for grad school?

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:36 am

BrittaBot wrote:
Ok, great, thanks. So we really don't have to do anything more with that except wait for that email? :lol:

I'm with you...not a huge fan of baseball but I want to meet everyone! At least there's beer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:56 am

Bear46 wrote:
BrittaBot wrote:

I'm with you...not a huge fan of baseball but I want to meet everyone! At least there's beer...
It's just minor league. Hardly baseball at all ;)

I think I'll attend. I'm going to hopefully be all moved in and settled by that point, so why not meet people?

Tom Collins

New

Post by Tom Collins » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm

bjoscott wrote:
There are a few of us old timers who are anchored to our current communities that aren't so close. I, for one, live in Rhode Island and am looking forward to my 1+ hour commute each direction three nights a week. :roll: On the bright side though, it sure beats going up to Boston! :D
Yow! There will be no more self-pitying over my 'lil 30 minute commute. :shock:
Bear46 wrote:

Congrats on making the decision on UConn! Definitely a committed relationship type here...my husband and I will be living in Middletown because he works in Groton so we had to find a place between the two cities. Good luck on the move! What's your SO studying for grad school?
Thanks! I'm feeling better about the distance now that I know others are similarly situated. The SO is a candidate for a Ph.D. in economics. We actually met in an econometrics class during undergrad -- terribly romantic, eh?

BrittaBot

New

Post by BrittaBot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:23 pm

I'll also be commuting. My boyfriend and I are renting a house in a small suburb 30 min south of West Hartford. Another committed relationship type here, 6+ years.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I feel like I'm the odd one out :) I'm in a committed relationship, but we're living apart for next year - he's got work/school in southern CT, about an hour and twenty minutes away. So I'm moving right near campus, at least for the first year. For 2L, after he's done with his master's, we may decide to split the difference, but for now, we're going this route - we may decide to split the distance or I may move in with my parents (about 45 mins from campus) for 2L depending on how everything goes.

I will definitely miss him but I pretty much moved in with him right after college (I had an apartment that was a joke. I slept there maybe twice), so part of me is excited to really live on my own (although + roommate) for the first time.
Last edited by snapdragon on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Tom Collins wrote:
Thanks! I'm feeling better about the distance now that I know others are similarly situated. The SO is a candidate for a Ph.D. in economics. We actually met in an econometrics class during undergrad -- terribly romantic, eh?
Hah love it! My husband and I met in college because we were both chem majors...gotta love relationships that start from academics
snapdragon wrote:I feel like I'm the odd one out :) I'm in a committed relationship, but we're living apart for next year - he's got work/school in southern CT, about an hour and twenty minutes away. So I'm moving right near campus, at least for the first year. For 2L, after he's done with his master's, we may decide to split the difference, but for now, we're going this route - we may decide to split the difference or I may move in with my parents (about 45 mins from campus) for 2L depending on how everything goes.

I will definitely miss him but I pretty much moved in with him right after college (I had an apartment that was a joke. I slept there maybe twice), so part of me is excited to really live on my own (although + roommate) for the first time.
Probably a good way to go, though. My husband and I did a 2+ year long distance relationship and we both certainly got a lot of work done. If I could live right next to campus, I totally would :cry: I've never commuted before for anything...we'll see how it goes!

mack2215

New

Post by mack2215 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Last edited by mack2215 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Does anyone know if UConn has an option for students to get business cards? I had them when I was in b-school and while people might think it's sort of pointless, I don't see how it would hurt.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm

First of all, Heartford, LOVE the 'tar.

Anyone signed up for any of the community service projects yet? I'm undecided.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 pm

snapdragon wrote:First of all, Heartford, LOVE the 'tar.

Thanks for the heads up on signups. Didn't know it was up. Some of these seem like they're not actual community service. What exactly would we do for the west end walking tour for example

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:11 pm

ran12 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on signups. Didn't know it was up. Some of these seem like they're not actual community service. What exactly would we do for the west end walking tour for example
Yeah, I think there's some actual service projects and some that are just get to know Hartford/the area sort of events.

If the weather in a month is anything like now, no way am I signing up for outside ones! I was thinking maybe food drive or the children's theater one

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:17 pm

snapdragon wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Yeah, I think there's some actual service projects and some that are just get to know Hartford/the area sort of events.

If the weather in a month is anything like now, no way am I signing up for outside ones! I was thinking maybe food drive or the children's theater one
I put food drive first and stuff like clean up last. Everything else just basically in the middle to complete preferences.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks! It was time for a change. Also, to verify: you're correct that the community service projects aren't all community service. The real purpose is to get to know your classmates, whether through servicing the community or taking a tour or whatever.

I have to say that the one flaw in this system is that you won't be split up by section for the community service projects, so sometimes people make besties at the early stage of orientation, and then discover that they won't be in any of the same classes together. Not that you can't be friends with people in other sections, but as you'll discover, you get to know (or at least "know of") pretty much everybody in your section pretty well because you see them every day. It's harder to interact with people who aren't in your classes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Hello to all the future UConn 1Lers. I have been following the post without interacting in anyway but decided to make my presence known. I will be joining all of you as a 1L this Aug/Sept, albeit in the Evening division as I currently work fulltime in Hartford.

I’ve lived within the immediate area of the Law School for sometime now, so if there are any questions about the area I’d be happy to try and help.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:16 pm

mdr198 wrote:Hello to all the future UConn 1Lers. I have been following the post without interacting in anyway but decided to make my presence known. I will be joining all of you as a 1L this Aug/Sept, albeit in the Evening division as I currently work fulltime in Hartford.

I’ve lived within the immediate area of the Law School for sometime now, so if there are any questions about the area I’d be happy to try and help.
Might be an odd question but what are the supermarket chains around the law school. I know there's a Whole Foods not too far in West Hartford but I can't stand it.

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:33 pm

ran12 wrote:
mdr198 wrote:Hello to all the future UConn 1Lers. I have been following the post without interacting in anyway but decided to make my presence known. I will be joining all of you as a 1L this Aug/Sept, albeit in the Evening division as I currently work fulltime in Hartford.

Might be an odd question but what are the supermarket chains around the law school. I know there's a Whole Foods not too far in West Hartford but I can't stand it.
Well you're right, there are actually 2 Whole Foods in West Hartford. The other grocery stores in the area are Stop & Shop, Big Y, and there's another big chain supermaket on Kane Street (right off of 84) and then there are a couple specialty stores in the area. All of these are within 5 min driving distance.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:42 pm

mdr198 wrote:
ran12 wrote:

Well you're right, there are actually 2 Whole Foods in West Hartford. The other grocery stores in the area are Stop & Shop, Big Y, and there's another big chain supermaket on Kane Street (right off of 84) and then there are a couple specialty stores in the area. All of these are within 5 min driving distance.
The one on Kane Street (at Prospect) is a Shop-Rite. There's a Trader Joe's out in "Corbin's Corner," which is basically just the strip mall area surrounding the Farmington Mall. There's also a Target in the same area that just recently became one of those Super Targets with groceries. So there are actually a lot of places to buy food.

P.S. Hello, 1Ls. I don't think I introduced myself on this thread yet. I am a 2L and I am happy to answer questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”