UConn Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
mdr198

New

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Post by mdr198 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Heartford wrote:
mdr198 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
mdr198 wrote:Hello to all the future UConn 1Lers. I have been following the post without interacting in anyway but decided to make my presence known. I will be joining all of you as a 1L this Aug/Sept, albeit in the Evening division as I currently work fulltime in Hartford.

I’ve lived within the immediate area of the Law School for sometime now, so if there are any questions about the area I’d be happy to try and help.
Might be an odd question but what are the supermarket chains around the law school. I know there's a Whole Foods not too far in West Hartford but I can't stand it.
Well you're right, there are actually 2 Whole Foods in West Hartford. The other grocery stores in the area are Stop & Shop, Big Y, and there's another big chain supermaket on Kane Street (right off of 84) and then there are a couple specialty stores in the area. All of these are within 5 min driving distance.

The one on Kane Street (at Prospect) is a Shop-Rite. There's a Trader Joe's out in "Corbin's Corner," which is basically just the strip mall area surrounding the Farmington Mall. There's also a Target in the same area that just recently became one of those Super Targets with groceries. So there are actually a lot of places to buy food.
As yes good call on the Trader Joe's.

Also, love the avatar but I will say I prefered the logo sans grey

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm

mdr198 wrote:

Aesthetically, I also prefer it without the grey. But I went to see The Whale as a kid all the time in the 90s, so this logo is more meaningful to me.

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Heartford wrote:
mdr198 wrote:

Aesthetically, I also prefer it without the grey. But I went to see The Whale as a kid all the time in the 90s, so this logo is more meaningful to me.
Ah yes the good old days. Maybe we can band together and find some legal loophole that brings them back

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

mdr198 wrote:
Heartford wrote:
mdr198 wrote:

Ah yes the good old days. Maybe we can band together and find some legal loophole that brings them back
Yeah. You know you're really from Connecticut when this song makes your eyes start to water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKSpEfP ... re=related

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Heartford wrote:
mdr198 wrote:
Heartford wrote:
mdr198 wrote:

Yeah. You know you're really from Connecticut when this song makes your eyes start to water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKSpEfP ... re=related
Being that I'm at work and they thoughtfully blocked YouTube, I'm going to assume it's the Brass Bonanza, which I'm currently playing in my head, and yes tears are streaming

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

<3 Whalers talk.

If I recall correctly, the Stop and Shop in W. Hartford is not too far (although surprisingly crappy). My property manager swears that the Shop Rite has crappy produce, but apparently there's a farmer's market close by and Whole Foods produce can be reasonable if you scan around.

Ran, are you day or evening?

Also, I've heard rumors that Half Door (nearby pub) has a trivia night. Oh Captain of the Whale, can you confirm/deny?

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 pm

snapdragon wrote:<3 Whalers talk.

If I recall correctly, the Stop and Shop in W. Hartford is not too far (although surprisingly crappy). My property manager swears that the Shop Rite has crappy produce, but apparently there's a farmer's market close by and Whole Foods produce can be reasonable if you scan around.

Also, I've heard rumors that Half Door (nearby pub) has a trivia night. Oh Captain of the Whale, can you confirm/deny?
Stop n Shop in WH: not TOO far, but not as close as the one in Hartford, which is bigger but slightly scarier. (head south on sisson ave until it becomes New Park ave, then go a little further and slightly scary stop n shop will be on your left)

Shop rite produce: neither atrocious nor delightful.

Farmer's market: true. Very close to campus. A litte unpredictable re: what kinds of produce will be there though.

Trivia night: confirmed.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Heartford wrote:
Stop n Shop in WH: not TOO far, but not as close as the one in Hartford, which is bigger but slightly scarier. (head south on sisson ave until it becomes New Park ave, then go a little further and slightly scary stop n shop will be on your left)

Farmer's market: true. Very close to campus. A litte unpredictable re: what kinds of produce will be there though.

YES! Even if I'll have no time for any funs during 1L, it will make me feel better to know it's there.

I'm really looking forward to being back in the Hartford/W-H area.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:27 pm

snapdragon wrote:<3 Whalers talk.

Day

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Computers? Anyone getting a new laptop for school? I'm looking into the Macbook Pro 13" and Macbook Air 13" but haven't decided as both are $$$

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:11 pm

mdr198 wrote:Computers? Anyone getting a new laptop for school? I'm looking into the Macbook Pro 13" and Macbook Air 13" but haven't decided as both are $$$
I've pretty much decided on the MBP 13''. The Air is just not for me.

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:48 pm

snapdragon wrote:
mdr198 wrote:Computers? Anyone getting a new laptop for school? I'm looking into the Macbook Pro 13" and Macbook Air 13" but haven't decided as both are $$$
I've pretty much decided on the MBP 13''. The Air is just not for me.
Yeah I was headed in that direction as well but the new MBA's are very nice, light, and I'm not sure how much we'll need the cd drive. The MBA also has the standard flash drive, which you'd need to upgrade the MBP to an SSD to become comparable. Good thing we have that huge student discount on our side :lol:

rjp88

New

Post by rjp88 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:10 pm

snapdragon wrote:
Heartford wrote:

YES! Even if I'll have no time for any funs during 1L, it will make me feel better to know it's there.

I'm really looking forward to being back in the Hartford/W-H area.
Trivia night at the Half Door is a lot of fun. Maybe not as productive as, say, studying, but it doesn't start till 9 on Tuesdays. Plenty of time for studying! (Speaking as a rising 2L who has been known to enjoy a night or two (semesters) of trivia.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mack2215

New

Post by mack2215 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Last edited by mack2215 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:26 am

I've had a refurb Macbook for the past four years.. I'm upgrading for school, but have been totally happy with the quality of the refurb. I'm not sure we can use our student discount with refurbs, though, so the price might come out to more like even.

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Textbook listings for courses are beginning to take shape. You can check them with this link:

http://webstore.uconncoop.com/coursesearch.aspx

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 pm

mdr198 wrote:Textbook listings for courses are beginning to take shape. You can check them with this link:

http://webstore.uconncoop.com/coursesearch.aspx
Brilliant, thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Tip: Get the ISBNs for your required books from the uconn co-op site, and then search for them on half.com or amazon or whatever. As you'll quickly notice, you will save a lot of money this way. The bookstore on campus will also purchase your books back from you at the end of the semester.

(For instance, one of the books I need for next semester is listed at the co-op for $190 new, $145 used. It took 2 seconds to find a used copy on half.com for $75. One minute later, I found one on amazon used for $40 (although the $40 copy is probably in terrible condition))

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:28 am

Heartford wrote:Tip: Get the ISBNs for your required books from the uconn co-op site, and then search for them on half.com or amazon or whatever. As you'll quickly notice, you will save a lot of money this way. The bookstore on campus will also purchase your books back from you at the end of the semester.

(For instance, one of the books I need for next semester is listed at the co-op for $190 new, $145 used. It took 2 seconds to find a used copy on half.com for $75. One minute later, I found one on amazon used for $40 (although the $40 copy is probably in terrible condition))
Heeeeey rising 2L, how're you and your books doing? :wink:

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Anybody know if there are any good parks or tracks for running around the area.

mdr198

New

Post by mdr198 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:50 am

ran12 wrote:Anybody know if there are any good parks or tracks for running around the area.
Elizabeth Park is right by the law school.

In West Hartford you'll find 2 paved/semi paved reservoirs, 1 non-paved reservoir, and then there’s always Heublein tower and Penn Wood State Park, both of which are in Bloomfield/Simsbury but only about 10 min away by car.

If you're looking more along the lines of actual tracks then there are 2 highschools in West Hartford and the University of Hartford also has one. I am assuming that you can use their tracks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm

mdr198 wrote:
ran12 wrote:Anybody know if there are any good parks or tracks for running around the area.
Elizabeth Park is right by the law school.

In West Hartford you'll find 2 paved/semi paved reservoirs, 1 non-paved reservoir, and then there’s always Heublein tower and Penn Wood State Park, both of which are in Bloomfield/Simsbury but only about 10 min away by car.

If you're looking more along the lines of actual tracks then there are 2 highschools in West Hartford and the University of Hartford also has one. I am assuming that you can use their tracks.
Thanks for the info

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Can anyone tell me about the interior of UConn Law, or better yet post pictures? I've seen plenty of photos of its beautiful campus, but there's little floating around on what it looks like inside.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm

downing wrote:Can anyone tell me about the interior of UConn Law, or better yet post pictures? I've seen plenty of photos of its beautiful campus, but there's little floating around on what it looks like inside.
I actually just found out that there are tons of pictures posted on the UConn Law site, but I can only found them through google.

Here's a quick tour for you:

Chase 210/Chase110: Where most of your classes will take place. These rooms are identical- one is directly downstairs from the other.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Starr Hall 108 & 204: These are our two courtrooms. Starr 108 is the Trial courtroom:

--LinkRemoved--

and Starr 204 is the Appellate courtroom:

--LinkRemoved--

(Note the backs of chairs falling off- this happens all the time in that room, and they keep re-attaching them. The seats aren't that old- I think they were just poorly designed.)

You might have some classes in Knight Hall. Here's a typical room in that building:

--LinkRemoved--

The bookstore is also in Knight Hall. I couldn't find a picture of it, but all you need to know is it's small and it's on two floors.

Another place you'll spend a lot of time, especially during orientation and also during schoolwide meetings/events, is the Starr Reading Room. The photo is too big to post, but here's the URL:
--LinkRemoved--

The most important spot on campus is the library:

HTH

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Downing - I have a flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59959091@N ... 185991635/

The interior shots are mostly just library ones. And a mysterious basement cafeteria place that was sort of abandoned. And a LOT of windows. I really liked the windows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”