UConn Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
downing

Bronze

Re: UConn Class of 2014

Post by downing » Sat May 21, 2011 12:04 pm

snapdragon wrote:
downing wrote:what's that I hear? *leaves rustling; a worm pushing its way through moist soil...* Ah, okay.
Well I'm 100% going to UConn now. I already withdrew from my other schools, and I'm excited to be in CT in August.

I'm planning on living close to the school, within walking distance. But I know NE winters can be tough, and I'd need to get my groceries and on rare occasions hit the town for various amenities. Maybe even check out the nightlife once a month. How's the public transportation in the area? I wouldn't mind taking the bus from place to place, but the prospect of getting frostbite on my way to class in the morning is worrying. How necessary is a sturdy clunker for living in Hartford? Waste of money?
You need a car. Sorry dude, but there it is. I never found the bus system to be too great, and I don't think there are any grocery stores within walking distance of the campus.

Anyone who has more knowledge, please feel free to disagree :)
Ah darn. That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. -_-

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Fri May 27, 2011 8:33 am

what's this 'roommate' list that was sent out last week?

I'll be looking around for an apartment come the beginning of August; anyone thinking of holding off until then? Ideally it would be a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom deal.
It'll be neat to get to Hartford roughly a month before classes start to get a feel for the place.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Fri May 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Looks like I'm out guys. Sick offer from BU I can't turn down. Good luck to all, hope someone deserving gets the spot.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri May 27, 2011 5:42 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Looks like I'm out guys. Sick offer from BU I can't turn down. Good luck to all, hope someone deserving gets the spot.
Well crapmonkey. Congrats, though! And I'm still holding out H hope for you.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Sat May 28, 2011 3:29 am

ElvisAaron wrote:Looks like I'm out guys. Sick offer from BU I can't turn down. Good luck to all, hope someone deserving gets the spot.
In that case congrats, BU is an amazing school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sat May 28, 2011 8:12 am

snapdragon wrote:
Thanks! I've still got my H hopes as well, but honestly this BU deal would be tough to pass up even then (96k out of 120k, no strings). I had written them off because I was WL so fast, and I assumed even if I got in that any scholly would be small. Stupid YP!
I'll still miss UConn. I was really looking forward to the laid back atmosphere and the ability to eat wood n tap whenever I felt like it!

pam920

New

Post by pam920 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:55 pm

downing wrote:what's this 'roommate' list that was sent out last week?

I'll be looking around for an apartment come the beginning of August; anyone thinking of holding off until then? Ideally it would be a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom deal.
It'll be neat to get to Hartford roughly a month before classes start to get a feel for the place.
I'll forward it to you if you want to PM me your email.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
Thanks! I've still got my H hopes as well, but honestly this BU deal would be tough to pass up even then (96k out of 120k, no strings). I had written them off because I was WL so fast, and I assumed even if I got in that any scholly would be small. Stupid YP!
I'll still miss UConn. I was really looking forward to the laid back atmosphere and the ability to eat wood n tap whenever I felt like it!
That is a really great deal, congrats! I'll have a Ken's burger in your honor ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrittaBot

New

Post by BrittaBot » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Class schedules are up on the UCONN self-service/student center page. (Need your peoplesoft ID and password to log in.)
:shock:

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm

BrittaBot wrote:Class schedules are up on the UCONN self-service/student center page. (Need your peoplesoft ID and password to log in.)
Anybody else get 4 classes on Tues and one of them starts at the same time the one before ends?

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 am

thanks for posting this! I'm going to excitedly check mine out right now.

BrittaBot

New

Post by BrittaBot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 am

Ran, I think 3 of my classes are like that, but they are all in the same building. I remember reading somewhere that the times are just set up like that, but you usually get out 5-10 min earlier, so you should have time to get to your class. I trust UCONN, I think they know you can't transport to your class in a matter of milliseconds. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

BrittaBot wrote:Class schedules are up on the UCONN self-service/student center page. (Need your peoplesoft ID and password to log in.)
When did you receive your peoplesoft ID? I don't think I've been given mine yet and I even emailed Deb at Admissions about it. She said I should receive it shortly (this was like last week). Was it on some correspondence from UConn?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 am

Bear46 wrote:
When did you receive your peoplesoft ID? I don't think I've been given mine yet and I even emailed Deb at Admissions about it. She said I should receive it shortly (this was like last week). Was it on some correspondence from UConn?
If you got a financial award letter, the ID number is on the second page where you're supposed to sign.

Bear46

New

Post by Bear46 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:23 am

ran12 wrote:
Bear46 wrote:
If you got a financial award letter, the ID number is on the second page where you're supposed to sign.
Awesome, thanks. I must have glazed over that!

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:16 am

BrittaBot wrote:Ran, I think 3 of my classes are like that, but they are all in the same building. I remember reading somewhere that the times are just set up like that, but you usually get out 5-10 min earlier, so you should have time to get to your class. I trust UCONN, I think they know you can't transport to your class in a matter of milliseconds. :lol:
This is true. You'll have enough time between classes to get from one place to anywhere else on campus. They just list the times like that to make 0Ls nervous. :) You guys must be getting so excited!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:25 am

Procedure, for anyone wondering:

1. use your peoplesoft id located at the top of one of your mailed documents. It's 7 digits. Usually on a financial form.

2. They wouldn't have given you a password yet, so you'll need them to mail it to you.
Type in your peoplesoft id, press the forgotten password button, and you'll receive it at your HuskyMail address.

3. Check your husky email using your network id and password (this is different from your peoplesoft id).

4. Use the password given to you - change it to whatever you like, and check your schedule.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 am

downing wrote:Procedure, for anyone wondering:

1. use your peoplesoft id located at the top of one of your mailed documents. It's 7 digits. Usually on a financial form.

2. They wouldn't have given you a password yet, so you'll need them to mail it to you.
Type in your peoplesoft id, press the forgotten password button, and you'll receive it at your HuskyMail address.

3. Check your husky email using your network id and password (this is different from your peoplesoft id).

4. Use the password given to you - change it to whatever you like, and check your schedule.
For the peoplesoft id, it seems like the default password is W followed by your DOB and !. So if you're born Jan 1 1988 it would be W010188!.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 am

ran12 wrote:
downing wrote:Procedure, for anyone wondering:

For the peoplesoft id, it seems like the default password is W followed by your DOB and !. So if you're born Jan 1 1988 it would be W010188!.
That's how it was with me too. I can now see that I mistakenly assumed that the (W) and (!) weren't just randomized characters (i.e. maybe the W for me could have been a H for someone else). Knowing this will certainly speed up the process.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I have to thank y'all today... apparently, financial services needed some more info from me before sending out a final award letter (which may include a GRANT! happy day) and I didn't realize it until I called them politely trying to figure out where my people soft number was. So, sadface that I can't get into the class schedule, but I'm glad I was able to get them the forms that they needed, 'cause I had no idea they even wanted them!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mreocc

New

Post by mreocc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Anyone else get stuck with a class on friday? I got my hopes up because at orientation they said 1Ls haven't had Friday classes in years yet I'mm taking contracts fridays 9-1015 :x

bjoscott

New

Post by bjoscott » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Looks like I will also be attending in the Fall. I'm going part-time though. UConn was always my first choice since it is the shortest drive for me. I was not relishing the thought of having to commute to Boston through Providence to attend law school.

Anyone else going part-time in the evening?

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:45 am

mreocc wrote:Anyone else get stuck with a class on friday? I got my hopes up because at orientation they said 1Ls haven't had Friday classes in years yet I'mm taking contracts fridays 9-1015 :x
Yup, got contracts on Friday at the same time (9-10:15) with Strasser.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:34 am

downing wrote:
mreocc wrote:Anyone else get stuck with a class on friday? I got my hopes up because at orientation they said 1Ls haven't had Friday classes in years yet I'mm taking contracts fridays 9-1015 :x
Yup, got contracts on Friday at the same time (9-10:15) with Strasser.
Looks like I'm in the same section as you guys.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”