Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
simonmulletxcore
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby simonmulletxcore » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 pm

AmericaninManchuria wrote:I know Rutgers doesn't rank students until graduation, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they still post the grades and make them public...?

Also does anyone know how students are accepted to Law Review? Are they automatically admitted based on grades or is it grades + a writing competition or something?


At the info session I attended Dean Walton mentioned a writing competition for the law review spots.

tatuska
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby tatuska » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 am

First, LR guys choose the best notes (no grades necessary). Then, they choose the next best group, and select people with higher grades. MSP people are ranked differently.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby get it to x » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:20 pm

tatuska wrote:First, LR guys choose the best notes (no grades necessary). Then, they choose the next best group, and select people with higher grades. MSP people are ranked differently.


Not entirely correct. It's first and foremost a writing competition where grades play little to no role. The top ten submissions are automatically given a position followed by a larger group selected by the LR committee based on an average score. The third group, which is done at LR's discretion in case they have not admitted enough people, is done in consideration of the write grade and GPA. MSP does have a different quota system.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby get it to x » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 pm

If any Newark natives read the boards and know about the relative safety of the area surrounding the federal court downtown I'd appreciate your feedback.

simonmulletxcore
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby simonmulletxcore » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 pm

For those who went to the open house Friday, what were your impressions? Did it make you more or less eager about Rutgers?

I left feeling really comfortable and welcome there and I was happy to see that the faculty and administrators all seem to have a lot of confidence in the school which was something I didn't feel at some of the other schools I've visited.

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Just wondering, are things within walking distance like grocery stores, supermarkets, bars and so forth? Just how necessary is a car?

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby get it to x » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:26 pm

If anyone has any lingering questions about RU, let me know. I am in the middle of what looks like a really busy two weeks, so I might not get back to you as quickly as normal. PM works as well. Good luck with your final decisions since seat deposits should be coming due soon(?) from what I can vaguely remember.

MrMisiu
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby MrMisiu » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:06 am

Welp, looks like I'll be attending in August. I got into the Minority Student Program, so I'm trying to figure out if I should do it or not- any advice anyone?

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:27 pm

MrMisiu wrote:Welp, looks like I'll be attending in August. I got into the Minority Student Program, so I'm trying to figure out if I should do it or not- any advice anyone?


Do it.

MrMisiu
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby MrMisiu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 am

Does it look better or have some other advantage? Or just for the sake of the extra help and for maybe getting chosen for the summer internships?

I also noticed that a few people are trying to avoid dorms. Any particular reason, or this is what most people will be doing if they don't commute?

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm

MrMisiu wrote:Does it look better or have some other advantage? Or just for the sake of the extra help and for maybe getting chosen for the summer internships?

I also noticed that a few people are trying to avoid dorms. Any particular reason, or this is what most people will be doing if they don't commute?


It seems like a good opportunity to network, get summer internships, extra-help and so forth. It may or may not look good on the resume to New Jersey employers, I don't know. But hey Senator Menendez was in it so it can't be a bad thing.

I'm staying on campus, I chose the Talbott Apts. I can't be bothered to deal with traffic, finding housing and roommates, paying utilities, landlords etc.. it's just easier for me to be able to walk to class or the library.

MrMisiu
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby MrMisiu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:44 pm

I was also thinking about Talbott, definitely over University.
Were you able to register for housing through the site? I tried but I didn't have Newark Grad. under the list of applications. I gave a call over to the reslife office, an hour before it closed, but no one answered. Obviously I'll try again, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something.
I also tried the Newark new/returning student application, but it distinctively tells you "only for undergrads."

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:51 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I was also thinking about Talbott, definitely over University.
Were you able to register for housing through the site? I tried but I didn't have Newark Grad. under the list of applications. I gave a call over to the reslife office, an hour before it closed, but no one answered. Obviously I'll try again, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something.
I also tried the Newark new/returning student application, but it distinctively tells you "only for undergrads."


I had to call them to do it. Since I'm an undergrad at Rutgers NB it wasn't showing up for me, so they had to manually add it. It only took a few minutes so it's worth a call. One thing I'm not sure about is if I can continue using my existing RUID card/# and eden account for everything. It seems like it.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby Lawst » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm glad to have stumbled upon it. I'm pretty sure that I'll be here in August.
Simonmulletxcore, I was in that class with you! I didn't feel like the other admits were unfriendly but I guess sort of serious. I had just come from work and taken the train from Midtown so I know I was tired. Anyway, maybe I'll see you in class this fall.

surfparks6
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby surfparks6 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I was also thinking about Talbott, definitely over University.
Were you able to register for housing through the site? I tried but I didn't have Newark Grad. under the list of applications. I gave a call over to the reslife office, an hour before it closed, but no one answered. Obviously I'll try again, I'm just not sure if I'm missing something.
I also tried the Newark new/returning student application, but it distinctively tells you "only for undergrads."



Curious, why are you set on Talbott? From what I've read on other forums, the University Square living conditions are supposed to be superior. (Newer and more modern set up, pest problems are lower). Is it the extra $$ you would have to pay in order to live at University Square? Or did you hear something negative about the University Square apartments. I’m just curious.

However, after reading prior admitted class forums on TLS for Rutgers Newark, our graduating class hasn't been talking that much. I've done a good amount of research and I'm excited but also nervous to relocate and start law school, especially since I haven't visited the campus. (Google Maps Street view is the most I’ve seen of Newark and the surrounding atmosphere of the school, Thank you GOOGLE!)

Anyways, from those that have visited the campus and went to the open house or possibly a tour of the school, what was your reason to attend this school?

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 am

Personally i chose Talbott because it was cheaper. Every cent counts.

BTW how much is the housing deposit?

MrMisiu
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby MrMisiu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:33 am

^Same-sies
That and Talbott is just all grads. The actual suites seem a lot better too. In University Square there are just the rooms, a kitchen, and bathroom- no real living room or place to congregate unless you have a double (according to the floor plans); which there don't seem to be many of. In Talbott there is a living room, which, if I ever learn to socialize may come in handy (dream big)!
On top of that, Uni. Square is for undergrads with the top two floors devoted for grads. I figured there might be some little age nuisances in rules and yadda yadda.

2010-2011 Prices:
Academic Year Including Breaks
(9 months)
Talbot:
Single - $8,701.00
Double - $7,401.00
U. Square:
Double - $8,227.00

Full Calendar Year (12 months)
Talbot:
Single - $9,651.00
U. Square:
Single - $11,501.00
Not sure of the housing deposit, but I'm going to call about the application for Newark housing and I'll ask at the same time- In case you don't find out by then. According to a 2009 reslife .pdf it was $200.
Called, it's $200.

simonmulletxcore
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby simonmulletxcore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Lawst wrote:I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm glad to have stumbled upon it. I'm pretty sure that I'll be here in August.
Simonmulletxcore, I was in that class with you! I didn't feel like the other admits were unfriendly but I guess sort of serious. I had just come from work and taken the train from Midtown so I know I was tired. Anyway, maybe I'll see you in class this fall.


Haha yeah, idk I may have been in a lighter mood than usual because I took off of work that day (so that I could attend and because I just really didn't feel like going) so I was feeling great. Also, I was pretty much set on Rutgers from the start of this process so I wasn't there to analyze or compare the school to anything, just to visit since I've been to Rutgers Newark many times already. :)

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Is anyone planning to go to either of these events? I'm hoping to make it to the April 15th one.

Small Groups - Friday, April 8th, 9:45am (Constitutional Law class at 9:55am; discussion at 11:30am)
Friday, April 29 and Friday, May 13 - 10am (no class, discussion only)

Monday, April 11, 4:45pm (Criminal law class at 6pm)
Monday, May 23, 5pm (no class)

Tour led by current 2L student - Friday, April 15th at 10am

"Money Matters - Financing Law School" - Friday, April 15, 11am (after the tour).
Ms. Nicky Fornarotto, Coordinator for Financial Aid
Assistant Dean Stephanie Richman, Career Services

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby Lawst » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 pm

surfparks6 wrote:
However, after reading prior admitted class forums on TLS for Rutgers Newark, our graduating class hasn't been talking that much. I've done a good amount of research and I'm excited but also nervous to relocate and start law school, especially since I haven't visited the campus. (Google Maps Street view is the most I’ve seen of Newark and the surrounding atmosphere of the school, Thank you GOOGLE!)

Anyways, from those that have visited the campus and went to the open house or possibly a tour of the school, what was your reason to attend this school?


Well for me, the cost is a big part of it, but not all of it. There were two other schools to which I was accepted that I could attend for around the same amount, either because of low tuition or scholarship, but neither felt like a good fit. I feel that Rutgers is a solid regional school. I found the officials I've dealt with so far to be very helpful and the other admits I met at the event that I went to seemed to be serious, professional and smart and have realistic goals about what they hope to achieve. I enjoyed the class that I sat in on, and the professor seemed to be interested in having an exchange of ideas with his students. Granted, these could all be atypical results - I spent one evening there. But I visited 10 schools and after a while you get a gut feeling about whether you can see yourself at a particular school. I applied to Rutgers as a kind of a safety, but it really won me over. I'm looking forward to August.

AmericaninManchuria
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 pm

So I was planning on going to Rutgers after I was accepted in Feb. with $8,000, but then, I just got a packet from Seton Hall (where my app. was incomplete- so thats weird) accepting me and offering me the Chancellor's schol. of $35,000. So now Seton Hall would save me $4,000 a year, but I'm trying to figure out which is a better school in the long run- of course Seton Hall is ranked higher, but I keep hearing that Rutgers has better job placement and alumni network, so I'm hesitant.

What are your opinions about Rutgers vs. Seton Hall job placement?

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 pm

AmericaninManchuria wrote:So I was planning on going to Rutgers after I was accepted in Feb. with $8,000, but then, I just got a packet from Seton Hall (where my app. was incomplete- so thats weird) accepting me and offering me the Chancellor's schol. of $35,000. So now Seton Hall would save me $4,000 a year, but I'm trying to figure out which is a better school in the long run- of course Seton Hall is ranked higher, but I keep hearing that Rutgers has better job placement and alumni network, so I'm hesitant.

What are your opinions about Rutgers vs. Seton Hall job placement?


What are the stips?

AmericaninManchuria
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:16 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:
AmericaninManchuria wrote:So I was planning on going to Rutgers after I was accepted in Feb. with $8,000, but then, I just got a packet from Seton Hall (where my app. was incomplete- so thats weird) accepting me and offering me the Chancellor's schol. of $35,000. So now Seton Hall would save me $4,000 a year, but I'm trying to figure out which is a better school in the long run- of course Seton Hall is ranked higher, but I keep hearing that Rutgers has better job placement and alumni network, so I'm hesitant.

What are your opinions about Rutgers vs. Seton Hall job placement?


What are the stips?


3.0 to keep the $8,000 at Rutgers
Top 50% to keep the $35,000 at Seton Hall
So assuming I did maintain them, I'd save $12,000 over 3 years going to SHU.
I'm starting to lean towards Seton Hall, I'm just concerned about their alumni network...but now I'm starting to wonder if thats a silly concern....

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby alexanderhamilton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:48 pm

I got a similar offer the Presidential Scholarship from SHU $25 k for top 50%. I would be careful about that. They give out a lot of these with the expectation that not everyone will keep it.

In my case Rutgers is better because I have in-state tuition 8k scholarship, have the MSP, have on-campus housing, just as good if not better placement, more focus on public interest (the field I'm interested in), and good regional name in NJ. (Plus a Rutgers undergrad alumni so..)

AmericaninManchuria
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:49 am

alexanderhamilton wrote:I got a similar offer the Presidential Scholarship from SHU $25 k for top 50%. I would be careful about that. They give out a lot of these with the expectation that not everyone will keep it.

In my case Rutgers is better because I have in-state tuition 8k scholarship, have the MSP, have on-campus housing, just as good if not better placement, more focus on public interest (the field I'm interested in), and good regional name in NJ. (Plus a Rutgers undergrad alumni so..)


I am a little worried about the chance of not being able to keep the scholarship and having a tuition bill like that...of course I don't plan on being in the bottom 50%, but the gamble makes me nervous. Rutgers is def. more affordable if the scholarship is lost...

But at this point its hard to get around that SHU is 23 spots higher (for what its worth) and Rutgers is moving downwards in its ranking...plus SHU is cheaper for me now. But the alumi network and name of Rutgers along with the disaster that would insue if I lost the scholarship, have me torn..




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest