Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby king3780 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:45 pm

DK33 wrote:I accepted Rutgers' offer today. New York kid, but very excited to get in to this school. Seems to do as well as any of the local regional law schools around here for a lot less money. (St. John's)

I start part time, but hear the transfer between divisions is relatively routine on the website. Anyone with thoughts on this?


I switched part time to full time after the first year. It was essentially pro forma; the dean's permission was required, but basically all that was required was good standing.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 am

king3780 wrote:
DK33 wrote:I accepted Rutgers' offer today. New York kid, but very excited to get in to this school. Seems to do as well as any of the local regional law schools around here for a lot less money. (St. John's)

I start part time, but hear the transfer between divisions is relatively routine on the website. Anyone with thoughts on this?


I switched part time to full time after the first year. It was essentially pro forma; the dean's permission was required, but basically all that was required was good standing.



Cool. Are you planning on being able to finish in 3 years? If so, how?

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 am

leuce7 wrote:areyouinsane,

Get over yourself. We've seen the trolling elsewhere on the board, and it hasn't stopped us yet. Another rant and rave isn't going to change much. If you really care about this, find a more productive way to effect change.



Well said. That kid is a cynical tool.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:59 am

Lawst wrote:
areyouinsane wrote:
I accepted Rutgers' offer today. New York kid, but very excited to get in to this school. Seems to do as well as any of the local regional law schools around here for a lot less money. (St. John's)


Excited? Why? To attend a mediocre TTT school located in a filthy, impoverished, dangerous ghetto? You guys know that the school is a NJ "public" building, right? This means that in the winter, the homeless crackheads use the library and common areas as places to get warm. Often they urinate & even defecate right in the library, as well as steal laptops and anything else that ain't nailed down.

The job market in NJ is, in a word, abysmal. McCarter has cancelled it's summer program 2 years in a row, Lowenstein is still laying off associates, and NJ Legal Aid just went thru massive cuts (1/4 of lawyers laid off). NJ AG's office offers a salary of 0 dollars. Here are the links:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/strategist/200 ... teers.html

and

http://articles.philly.com/2010-08-14/n ... ewer-cases

I feel such a depressing sense of bemusement watching you guys on the PATH train with your lame casebooks and study guides all marked up with highlighter. The legal market is dead, kids. Doc review jobs that require experience are paying $27 an hour:

http://www.hirecounsel.com/jobs_search_ ... php?id=972

Sadly, by the time you guys get admitted to the Bar these crappy temp jobs (what's left of them) will have been outsourced to India and other 3rd world countries. Maybe you can grab a gig here:

--LinkRemoved--

One thing you can def. forget is any kind of "midlaw." Those places are looking for laterals with 5+ years of niche experience or ex-Biglaw/Ivy league types, or those with large books of portable business. Best you guys could hope for is a gig at Wilson Elser, a notorious insurance defense boiler room that requires NYC Biglaw hours for about one third a Biglaw salary. This work is mindless cut n' paste, mostly Allstate insurance cases trying to screw injured people out of cashing in their pissant 25 K insurance policy for a herniated disc. Turnover is high, most kids don't even last 6 months at that dump.

Understand that law was "career" of yesterday. For all but a tiny, chosen few in Biglaw, the industry as a whole pays very, very poorly. The supply/demand metrics are so out of whack it's downright comical. Why would any rational person aspire to join the ranks of the indebted and unemployed? As a small firm partner, let me tell you that we know better than anyone the desperation and struggling out there, and lowball the living piss out of the recently admitted grads we hire to cut & paste our motions and such together. We just got a recent R-N grad to do 5 hours of research and write a pretty nice 14 page brief for a whopping $150. When we run craiglists ads looking for newbies, we never get less than 75-100 resumes within a few hours. Many of them even offer to work for free to get some much needed "experience." I always tell them that the rates we offer are totally non-negotiable. You have zero leverage coming out of a TTT school, since an endless supply of you guys get churned out by the truckload each and every year.
Hell, I barely make a living myself and am in the process of getting out of law for good ASAP. You have to make really, really top dollar to make putting up with this festering gutter of an industry even close to being worth it.


Just open up your local Yellow Pages and count the teeming hordes of lawyers under-bidding each other to get your DWI or dog bite or draft your will. Take a look a what pathetic, bottom-feeding losers they are, and ask yourself if that's really how you want to end up? Your admission to R-N (and bragging about same) really shows how unsuited you are for the legal industry. Most of you would be better off just taking a service sector job now (truck driving, bartending, etc) or possibly learn a useful trade like plumbing or HVAC/electrical work. Why in the name of God would you aspire to enter a rapidly declining industry which is widely acknowledged to be almost impossible to find paying work in, an industry virtually guaranteed to be in exponentially worse shape by the time you gradaute. Think about it.


So, from a quick look at your profile, it seems your only reason for being on TLS is to troll about Rutgers and maybe Seton Hall. Rutgers is Tier 2, but a TTT? Really? It's a state school with relatively reasonable tuition, not a $40K per year for profit diploma mill. Also, it makes a point of trying to draw in a diverse student body - of the 13 schools to which I applied, it's the only one that asked if I wanted to be considered based on my LSAT/GPA or soft factors. Those people being admitted with lower numbers I'm guessing bring down the medians, which hurts RU's place in the rankings, a least a little.

And yes, the job market sucks - everywhere. If one wants to be a lawyer, not just pick some random career to get rich, well, there are far worse choices people can make at this level. Frankly, we're not going to RU because we like it better than Yale - we can't get into a T14 school. For a Tier 2, I think it's one of the best regional choices. I couldn't get into Tier 1 because I was unwilling to leave the Northeast and my undergrad GPA blows, for a bunch of reasons that don't have to do with my intelligence or aptitude. Not everyone can do Tier 1, and not everyone in Tier 2 is a moron.

Oh, hey, Newark is a big gritty city? Nooooo way! I mean, anyone with a touch of street smarts doesn't leave a laptop unattended. I don't know that I believe the bit about the pooping homeless. I've had to show ID every time I've entered the building, so I'm wondering how long ago this supposedly occurred. I've heard that security used to be more lax than it is now.

You sound really bitter, and I'm sorry that you apparently have had a bad career. So, uh, where did you go? Where did you rank in your class? That says a lot too about how much your experience reflects reality for most of us. I don't expect everything to be just perfect and to be making a ton of money and I realize that I will work my ass off and not be guaranteed a job right out of school. I know it's a risk and I know it's a tough economy. But there are so many other schools that make for better targets - New York Law School, Seton Hall, St. John's. Why not warn those kids about falling into $200K debt for a subpar school?



Well said, again. This is horses***. I've seen less ancedtoal evidence and flawed methods of reasoning on the LSAT. Just some Ivy League mouth with nothing better to do.. or worse...

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:09 pm

ianpliberty wrote:I'm definitely attending too! Unfortunately I can't make the open house at the end of March. I'm trying to avoid dorming at all costs so if anyone is looking for roommates feel free to reach out.


I got in Part Time too. Looking to switch to full time asap but they let you start in the summer?

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby king3780 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:44 pm

DK33 wrote:
king3780 wrote:
DK33 wrote:I accepted Rutgers' offer today. New York kid, but very excited to get in to this school. Seems to do as well as any of the local regional law schools around here for a lot less money. (St. John's)

I start part time, but hear the transfer between divisions is relatively routine on the website. Anyone with thoughts on this?


I switched part time to full time after the first year. It was essentially pro forma; the dean's permission was required, but basically all that was required was good standing.



Cool. Are you planning on being able to finish in 3 years? If so, how?


Yes, finishing in three years. Summer school after first year (5 credits), max out on credits (16) each semester for three of last four semester, 15 credits the other semester and graduate on time.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby king3780 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm

DK33 wrote:
ianpliberty wrote:I'm definitely attending too! Unfortunately I can't make the open house at the end of March. I'm trying to avoid dorming at all costs so if anyone is looking for roommates feel free to reach out.


I got in Part Time too. Looking to switch to full time asap but they let you start in the summer?


You'd have to start PT in the fall, then can switch to FT after you've completed a semester.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 pm

king3780 wrote:
DK33 wrote:
ianpliberty wrote:I'm definitely attending too! Unfortunately I can't make the open house at the end of March. I'm trying to avoid dorming at all costs so if anyone is looking for roommates feel free to reach out.


I got in Part Time too. Looking to switch to full time asap but they let you start in the summer?


You'd have to start PT in the fall, then can switch to FT after you've completed a semester.



Thanks much. That helps. I'm going to email Dean Rothman about it asap. It says on site email the semester before transfer is desired.

NJLawGirl520
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby NJLawGirl520 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 am

DK33 wrote:
king3780 wrote:
DK33 wrote:
ianpliberty wrote:I'm definitely attending too! Unfortunately I can't make the open house at the end of March. I'm trying to avoid dorming at all costs so if anyone is looking for roommates feel free to reach out.


I got in Part Time too. Looking to switch to full time asap but they let you start in the summer?


You'd have to start PT in the fall, then can switch to FT after you've completed a semester.



Thanks much. That helps. I'm going to email Dean Rothman about it asap. It says on site email the semester before transfer is desired.



Hey, I was admitted part time and then decided that I wanted to go full time. I emailed Anita and she said that if I ultimately wanted to be in the full time program that I should start there and she changed my status that same day.

surfparks6
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby surfparks6 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Most of us should have received an email regarding what track we want to do. Early or late. Is there a general feeling about any setbacks one track may have over another? I remember reading an older forum and one of the students felt that the later track made it more difficult to attend some interviews for internships because you got out later and would have to therefore skip more class in order to get to the interview. Curious if this could be answered by a soon to be 2nd/3rd year student.

Regardless, I'm pretty nocturnal and I am leaning towards the later track. But getting off at 3:30 sounds really appealing too... Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I believe that we can start to apply for the graduate plus loan.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby get it to x » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 am

surfparks6 wrote:Most of us should have received an email regarding what track we want to do. Early or late. Is there a general feeling about any setbacks one track may have over another? I remember reading an older forum and one of the students felt that the later track made it more difficult to attend some interviews for internships because you got out later and would have to therefore skip more class in order to get to the interview. Curious if this could be answered by a soon to be 2nd/3rd year student.

Regardless, I'm pretty nocturnal and I am leaning towards the later track. But getting off at 3:30 sounds really appealing too... Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I believe that we can start to apply for the graduate plus loan.


There should be no conflict regarding whether you select early or late track because that tracking system only applies for the Fall semester. No judge, firm, or gov't position will look at a 1L before they have completed their first semester. In fact, Career Services doesn't even begin notifying you about what to do regarding summer internships until late November/early December. In the spring, there is no early/late track designation. All 1L classes begin at the same time. When your day ends is entirely up to you based on what elective you choose. That may interfere with scheduling some interviews in the spring during the week. However, most of my classmates and myself never had a problem scheduling those interviews on Fridays which is an abbreviated day for 1L's.

Early/Late track really doesn't make a huge difference in the end. With the late track, your night is abbreviated - you won't be getting out before 5:30 several days of the week. If you're commuting (like the vast majority of the students here) your night will probably consist of eating and studying for the first semester. If you can study late and can deal with getting up later it's probably a better choice. Early track gets you done at 3:30 at the latest, but you're also in class very early. If you aren't a morning person it might be too much of a grind. In the end, both tracks suck. You're in class for the better part of 4 months and when you're not in class you're probably reading or worrying about LRW. It's a really difficult time in general for the vast majority of 1L's.

surfparks6
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby surfparks6 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 am

get it to x wrote:
surfparks6 wrote:Most of us should have received an email regarding what track we want to do. Early or late. Is there a general feeling about any setbacks one track may have over another? I remember reading an older forum and one of the students felt that the later track made it more difficult to attend some interviews for internships because you got out later and would have to therefore skip more class in order to get to the interview. Curious if this could be answered by a soon to be 2nd/3rd year student.

Regardless, I'm pretty nocturnal and I am leaning towards the later track. But getting off at 3:30 sounds really appealing too... Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I believe that we can start to apply for the graduate plus loan.


There should be no conflict regarding whether you select early or late track because that tracking system only applies for the Fall semester. No judge, firm, or gov't position will look at a 1L before they have completed their first semester. In fact, Career Services doesn't even begin notifying you about what to do regarding summer internships until late November/early December. In the spring, there is no early/late track designation. All 1L classes begin at the same time. When your day ends is entirely up to you based on what elective you choose. That may interfere with scheduling some interviews in the spring during the week. However, most of my classmates and myself never had a problem scheduling those interviews on Fridays which is an abbreviated day for 1L's.

Early/Late track really doesn't make a huge difference in the end. With the late track, your night is abbreviated - you won't be getting out before 5:30 several days of the week. If you're commuting (like the vast majority of the students here) your night will probably consist of eating and studying for the first semester. If you can study late and can deal with getting up later it's probably a better choice. Early track gets you done at 3:30 at the latest, but you're also in class very early. If you aren't a morning person it might be too much of a grind. In the end, both tracks suck. You're in class for the better part of 4 months and when you're not in class you're probably reading or worrying about LRW. It's a really difficult time in general for the vast majority of 1L's.



Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that the early/late track was all year, not just one semester. Good to know. I'm also living on campus at University Square. Were there that many law students dealing with that living situation, or as you said, are most law students commuting? I'm planning on commuting 2nd/3rd year but I'm not from the east coast and decided that I'll find better living situations after living in NJ for a bit.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby get it to x » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:15 am

surfparks6 wrote:
get it to x wrote:
surfparks6 wrote:Most of us should have received an email regarding what track we want to do. Early or late. Is there a general feeling about any setbacks one track may have over another? I remember reading an older forum and one of the students felt that the later track made it more difficult to attend some interviews for internships because you got out later and would have to therefore skip more class in order to get to the interview. Curious if this could be answered by a soon to be 2nd/3rd year student.

Regardless, I'm pretty nocturnal and I am leaning towards the later track. But getting off at 3:30 sounds really appealing too... Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I believe that we can start to apply for the graduate plus loan.


There should be no conflict regarding whether you select early or late track because that tracking system only applies for the Fall semester. No judge, firm, or gov't position will look at a 1L before they have completed their first semester. In fact, Career Services doesn't even begin notifying you about what to do regarding summer internships until late November/early December. In the spring, there is no early/late track designation. All 1L classes begin at the same time. When your day ends is entirely up to you based on what elective you choose. That may interfere with scheduling some interviews in the spring during the week. However, most of my classmates and myself never had a problem scheduling those interviews on Fridays which is an abbreviated day for 1L's.

Early/Late track really doesn't make a huge difference in the end. With the late track, your night is abbreviated - you won't be getting out before 5:30 several days of the week. If you're commuting (like the vast majority of the students here) your night will probably consist of eating and studying for the first semester. If you can study late and can deal with getting up later it's probably a better choice. Early track gets you done at 3:30 at the latest, but you're also in class very early. If you aren't a morning person it might be too much of a grind. In the end, both tracks suck. You're in class for the better part of 4 months and when you're not in class you're probably reading or worrying about LRW. It's a really difficult time in general for the vast majority of 1L's.



Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that the early/late track was all year, not just one semester. Good to know. I'm also living on campus at University Square. Were there that many law students dealing with that living situation, or as you said, are most law students commuting? I'm planning on commuting 2nd/3rd year but I'm not from the east coast and decided that I'll find better living situations after living in NJ for a bit.




I couldn't quote you a percentage, but I would say that the number of students living in the dorms is maybe 25% of the whole class at best. Most of my friends were out of college 2-5 years so I don't think its easy for the vast majority of the class to re-embrace dorm life. A good chunk also live at home to keep costs down. Most of the on-campus residents are straight out of undergrad and never lived on their own before so getting an apartment in an unfamiliar area may have been too much of a task.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 am

I got in Part Time too. Looking to switch to full time asap but they let you start in the summer?[/quote]

You'd have to start PT in the fall, then can switch to FT after you've completed a semester.[/quote]



Hey, I was admitted part time and then decided that I wanted to go full time. I emailed Anita and she said that if I ultimately wanted to be in the full time program that I should start there and she changed my status that same day.[/quote]

I tried that too. She said full time was overbooked for the fall, and I didn't want to push too hard, I just got in June 8th off the waiting list. Anyway, I'll try Dean Rothman fairly soon. I don't think it'll be too painful. Thanks though.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby get it to x » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:06 pm

DK33 wrote:Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?


I had been out of school for more than 2 years and had gotten used to cooking, having my own space, and didn't want to go back to a meal plan, roommates, and communal living. I don't use the library extensively so that was not a concern. It was important for me, at least during 1L, to be able to get away from the law at points and not see classmates etc. This has held true during the other years of law school as well. It really comes down to your own hierarchy of needs. Dorm life has its positives (close proximity to school, no cooking, no furniture needing to be purchased) but it can be expensive and in the end was not for me.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:53 pm

get it to x wrote:
DK33 wrote:Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?


I had been out of school for more than 2 years and had gotten used to cooking, having my own space, and didn't want to go back to a meal plan, roommates, and communal living. I don't use the library extensively so that was not a concern. It was important for me, at least during 1L, to be able to get away from the law at points and not see classmates etc. This has held true during the other years of law school as well. It really comes down to your own hierarchy of needs. Dorm life has its positives (close proximity to school, no cooking, no furniture needing to be purchased) but it can be expensive and in the end was not for me.



Interesting... ya it is expensive... I'm more annoyed at the rules. And perhaps the potential to have such rules stifle what little social life I may have. I wonder how food costs are on your own vs in a dorm.

jodubs
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby jodubs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Thought I received my financial aid package in the mail today but it was actually a guaranteed admittance and scholarship offer from RU-Camden (who I never applied to). Weird.. I know I read that they were doing this earlier in the cycle but it seems pretty late for this kind of thing.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby Lawst » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:15 am

jodubs wrote:Thought I received my financial aid package in the mail today but it was actually a guaranteed admittance and scholarship offer from RU-Camden (who I never applied to). Weird.. I know I read that they were doing this earlier in the cycle but it seems pretty late for this kind of thing.


Camden has scared me a good three times now by mailing me something along the lines of "THERE'S STILL TIME TO APPLY TO RUTGERS LAW!" and I'm like whoa, what? I thought I mailed my deposit? It's like that nightmare of thinking you're enrolled, but you show up for orientation and they've never heard of you?

Oh, just me? OK.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby Lawst » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:18 am

DK33 wrote:Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?


OK, granted I'm another incoming 1L, but I'd say take that deal if you can deal with having a roommate. The Ironbound is pretty decent and that's not that bad of a commute - you can catch the light rail at Newark Penn.
I'm living off campus, paying a lot more because I have a pet (which eliminated a surprising number of apartments - what gives NJ?) and I can't deal with a roommate - I'm in my 30s. I.just.can't.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Lawst wrote:
DK33 wrote:Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?


OK, granted I'm another incoming 1L, but I'd say take that deal if you can deal with having a roommate. The Ironbound is pretty decent and that's not that bad of a commute - you can catch the light rail at Newark Penn.
I'm living off campus, paying a lot more because I have a pet (which eliminated a surprising number of apartments - what gives NJ?) and I can't deal with a roommate - I'm in my 30s. I.just.can't.



Hahaha.. you a new yorker too?

I googled the kid, he's supposedly a co president of Seton Hall's Black Law Students group, seems pretty legit. I'm supposed to meet with them this week. How long would the walk be? Is it safe walking from campus to the Ironbound at night?

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby Lawst » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:18 pm

DK33 wrote:
Lawst wrote:
DK33 wrote:Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?


OK, granted I'm another incoming 1L, but I'd say take that deal if you can deal with having a roommate. The Ironbound is pretty decent and that's not that bad of a commute - you can catch the light rail at Newark Penn.
I'm living off campus, paying a lot more because I have a pet (which eliminated a surprising number of apartments - what gives NJ?) and I can't deal with a roommate - I'm in my 30s. I.just.can't.



Hahaha.. you a new yorker too?

I googled the kid, he's supposedly a co president of Seton Hall's Black Law Students group, seems pretty legit. I'm supposed to meet with them this week. How long would the walk be? Is it safe walking from campus to the Ironbound at night?


Sort of - I'm not a native New Yorker, but I've been living in Manhattan for 10 years. I really don't know any details about the Ironbound's safety at night, just that it's supposed to be an affordable and fairly safe residential area in Newark and that a lot of the Seton Hall kids live there. Also, Rutgers runs a shuttle to Newark Penn at night, but I don't know details about that yet, either.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Sort of - I'm not a native New Yorker, but I've been living in Manhattan for 10 years. I really don't know any details about the Ironbound's safety at night, just that it's supposed to be an affordable and fairly safe residential area in Newark and that a lot of the Seton Hall kids live there. Also, Rutgers runs a shuttle to Newark Penn at night, but I don't know details about that yet, either.[/quote]

Close enough, you should have a good idea about the City after 10 years.

I'll look into that shuttle. I'm going to check the place out this week. Fairly safe residential area sounds fine to me.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby king3780 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 am

DK33 wrote:
Lawst wrote:
DK33 wrote:Whose dorming? Whose getting an apartment? I could move to the Ironbound district a mile and a half off campus with a Seton Hall kid for 600 a month all included. The dorms seem expensive with a bunch of rules. But obviously closer to the library.

What does everyone think? What are all of you doing? @2L's, 3L's, what did you do? Why?


OK, granted I'm another incoming 1L, but I'd say take that deal if you can deal with having a roommate. The Ironbound is pretty decent and that's not that bad of a commute - you can catch the light rail at Newark Penn.
I'm living off campus, paying a lot more because I have a pet (which eliminated a surprising number of apartments - what gives NJ?) and I can't deal with a roommate - I'm in my 30s. I.just.can't.



Hahaha.. you a new yorker too?

I googled the kid, he's supposedly a co president of Seton Hall's Black Law Students group, seems pretty legit. I'm supposed to meet with them this week. How long would the walk be? Is it safe walking from campus to the Ironbound at night?


I won't swear to it, but I don't think Ironbound is walkable at night from Rutgers. Even from Seton Hall seems far and SH is between RU and Ironbound. I suppose if it's the very western edge of Ironbound it could be doable, but I don't think I'd be keen on that walk in the dark.

DK33
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Postby DK33 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

I won't swear to it, but I don't think Ironbound is walkable at night from Rutgers. Even from Seton Hall seems far and SH is between RU and Ironbound. I suppose if it's the very western edge of Ironbound it could be doable, but I don't think I'd be keen on that walk in the dark.[/quote]

Interesting... I have a crappy car I might be able to bring if it comes to that




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests