Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
leuce7

New

Re: Rutgers Law | Newark Class of 2014

Post by leuce7 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm also going to be starting up in August with all of you, and it feels kind of surreal. I've been out of school for a few years now so we'll see how I transition getting back in the game.

I'm moving to Jersey City so not doing the campus housing, but I've been to the campus a couple of times now and I'm convinced things are looking good for the next three years. Everyone seemed really engaged and the Admissions people were amazingly friendly--like they take a personal interest in you--and the facilities are fairly new and everything is central. Spent a few hours in the library getting some work done and even within the library there's variety in terms of spaces and liveliness. And since I'm personally interested in PI, I'm excited about the opportunities.

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Thu May 12, 2011 4:13 pm

leuce7 wrote:Hi all,

I'm also going to be starting up in August with all of you, and it feels kind of surreal. I've been out of school for a few years now so we'll see how I transition getting back in the game.

I'm moving to Jersey City so not doing the campus housing, but I've been to the campus a couple of times now and I'm convinced things are looking good for the next three years. Everyone seemed really engaged and the Admissions people were amazingly friendly--like they take a personal interest in you--and the facilities are fairly new and everything is central. Spent a few hours in the library getting some work done and even within the library there's variety in terms of spaces and liveliness. And since I'm personally interested in PI, I'm excited about the opportunities.
Hi!

I've also been out of school a few years so I'm hoping I can make the transition smoothly since I'm not used to studying so much anymore.

And I think one of the best things about the school is that the Admissions and administration people are so friendly and helpful. It makes it not a chore to ask questions or need help with something. It wasn't something I originally paid attention to when choosing a school but after visiting a few other schools and having the administration come off as very jaded and rude, I started to value it more in my decision.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Thu May 12, 2011 4:34 pm

leuce7 wrote:Hi all,

I know what you mean. I've been out of school for more than a few years though in my case and I'm both nervous and excited. I'm looking to go into PI as well or possibly crim law.
I'm planning to move to Jersey City too. What area are you looking at? I know so little about New Jersey despite living across the river for a decade, and I have to figure it out soon. I refuse to get a car, so I'm trying to figure out the best place that's near public transportation, safe but still affordable.

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:33 pm

I've also been out of school for a couple of years. I'm planning to live on campus at University Square and live off campus my 2nd and 3rd year. I figured I would have enough to worry about 1st year and I'm not at all familiar with New Jersey. Does anyone know how good the food is for the meal plans? I was going to just revert back to undergrad and live off dorm food for a year.

Has anyone got their financial package yet from the school? I received an estimated financial package but not the real offer yet. Also, has anyone started reading "Getting to Maybe" yet? I'm only about 60 pages into it. It’s pretty interesting. All the pool water and beach sand that’s getting on it while I read outside is definitely going to be a bittersweet memory of the leisure I once had. Cheers to sacrificing our lives in pursuit of something we hope will be better. ;)

simonmulletxcore

New

Post by simonmulletxcore » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 pm

surfparks6 wrote:I've also been out of school for a couple of years. I'm planning to live on campus at University Square and live off campus my 2nd and 3rd year. I figured I would have enough to worry about 1st year and I'm not at all familiar with New Jersey. Does anyone know how good the food is for the meal plans? I was going to just revert back to undergrad and live off dorm food for a year.

Has anyone got their financial package yet from the school? I received an estimated financial package but not the real offer yet. Also, has anyone started reading "Getting to Maybe" yet? I'm only about 60 pages into it. It’s pretty interesting. All the pool water and beach sand that’s getting on it while I read outside is definitely going to be a bittersweet memory of the leisure I once had. Cheers to sacrificing our lives in pursuit of something we hope will be better. ;)
I'm considering the meal plan too since I'll be living at University Square (I hope?) next year too. I hope it's not that bad but my standards are pretty low. I checked the place out the other day and there was some Indian and Mediterranean food nearby as well as a subway and a few cafes.

I haven't read Getting to Maybe yet but everyone's telling me I should. Do you think it's worth reading? A friend loaned me 1L of a ride and I'm struggling to get through it. Every time I read about how I'll have no time next year, I convince myself to use my free time to watch all the tv I can since it's the only thing I look forward to most days. So I'm not too confident I'll be a model student next year at the rate I'm going. I can't wait for real beach weather but NJ's weather has been bipolar as fuck this spring. UGH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Whose moving in early for MSP?

I'm living on-campus in the Talbott Apts, and I'll probably get a meal plan, it seems to be a lot simpler than cooking. Haven't gotten the financial aid package yet, just got a letter telling me the estimated cost for next year and that I should get fin aid info in a few weeks.

SubwayatNight

New

Post by SubwayatNight » Fri May 13, 2011 8:24 am

Hey Everyone! It looks like I'll be joining some of you this fall so I wanted to introduce myself. I'm David from Ohio.

I have a few questions maybe you can help me with, especially those who have lived in the area.

I noticed people discussing housing and living situations so I wanted to mention I might be shopping for a roommate, preferably another Rutgers law student. It's possible my girlfriend may join me but at this point I want to keep my options open. I'm okay with living just about anywhere within a reasonable travel distance. Like some of you, I don't want to need a car so it would have to be near good public tran. If the roommate thing doesn't happen right away, what do you think I should be budgeting for rent if I'm flying solo? Do you think I can keep it under $1,200?

I've been out of the country the past year and a half so I haven't been able to visit the campus. Does anyone have some photographs or videos of the campus, surrounding area and law building? A website with these would be ideal. I've been struggling to find images of Rutgers on the web other than Googlemap's streetview.

Someone may have already answered this, but will we be getting anything to read or prepare ahead of time for our first week of classes? If so, when should I expect that so I can budget my time?

Is there a Facebook group for this class? I'm not a big FB user so maybe I didn't search for it correctly. I figure it might be useful to coordinate things or get quick feedback on there.

I look forward to meeting everyone in person!

-David

leuce7

New

Post by leuce7 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Lawst wrote:I'm planning to move to Jersey City too. What area are you looking at? I know so little about New Jersey despite living across the river for a decade, and I have to figure it out soon. I refuse to get a car, so I'm trying to figure out the best place that's near public transportation, safe but still affordable.
We're moving to Downtown Jersey City, near the Grove Street station. We looked there, around the Newport Mall area, and in Hoboken, and felt like downtown JC had more of a chill vibe, lots of interesting shops and restaurants, definitely a walkable neighborhood. A little less Main Street, USA than Hoboken and more of a lived-in feel than Newport. Although, if you're looking, the area around Hamilton Park is supposed to be really nice, and it's halfway between the Grove St and Exchange Place PATH stations.

I'm also waiting on financial aid, and trying to figure out what to do to prepare. If I think too much about it I start getting nervous. :?

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 pm

leuce7 wrote:
Lawst wrote:I'm planning to move to Jersey City too. What area are you looking at? I know so little about New Jersey despite living across the river for a decade, and I have to figure it out soon. I refuse to get a car, so I'm trying to figure out the best place that's near public transportation, safe but still affordable.
We're moving to Downtown Jersey City, near the Grove Street station. We looked there, around the Newport Mall area, and in Hoboken, and felt like downtown JC had more of a chill vibe, lots of interesting shops and restaurants, definitely a walkable neighborhood. A little less Main Street, USA than Hoboken and more of a lived-in feel than Newport. Although, if you're looking, the area around Hamilton Park is supposed to be really nice, and it's halfway between the Grove St and Exchange Place PATH stations.

I'm also waiting on financial aid, and trying to figure out what to do to prepare. If I think too much about it I start getting nervous. :?
Ah, thanks, good to know. I have to take a weekend and really just start looking around JC on foot. I've ruled out Hoboken already as too expensive for a student living alone. I wouldn't mind Newark, either, depending on the neighborhood - I hear good things about the Ironbound area, though that's not that close to campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 pm

SubwayatNight wrote:Hey Everyone! It looks like I'll be joining some of you this fall so I wanted to introduce myself. I'm David from Ohio.

I have a few questions maybe you can help me with, especially those who have lived in the area.

I noticed people discussing housing and living situations so I wanted to mention I might be shopping for a roommate, preferably another Rutgers law student. It's possible my girlfriend may join me but at this point I want to keep my options open. I'm okay with living just about anywhere within a reasonable travel distance. Like some of you, I don't want to need a car so it would have to be near good public tran. If the roommate thing doesn't happen right away, what do you think I should be budgeting for rent if I'm flying solo? Do you think I can keep it under $1,200?

I've been out of the country the past year and a half so I haven't been able to visit the campus. Does anyone have some photographs or videos of the campus, surrounding area and law building? A website with these would be ideal. I've been struggling to find images of Rutgers on the web other than Googlemap's streetview.

Someone may have already answered this, but will we be getting anything to read or prepare ahead of time for our first week of classes? If so, when should I expect that so I can budget my time?

Is there a Facebook group for this class? I'm not a big FB user so maybe I didn't search for it correctly. I figure it might be useful to coordinate things or get quick feedback on there.

I look forward to meeting everyone in person!

-David
Hi, David. I'm originally from Ohio myself, though I haven't lived there for 15 years or so. Though I'm still trying to figure out housing in Jersey myself, I would say you definitely can stay under $1,200 as long as you're not set on luxury accommodations. I even managed to stay below that in Manhattan, so it has to be possible in NJ. As for possible roommates, try Craigslist. There ARE normal people there among the sketchy ones - I found my current sublet that way as well as a new tenant for my old apartment when I needed to end my lease a bit early. It's hit or miss, but it's a place to start. Also, the law school's website has some housing ads and maybe there's ads for shares/roommates too.
I also wonder about FB. We need a Facebook group, dammit!

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Sat May 14, 2011 4:06 pm

It looks like there's a FB group for the evening class but not for us.

amg414

New

Post by amg414 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:25 am

alexanderhamilton wrote:It looks like there's a FB group for the evening class but not for us.
Could you provide a link to that group?

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Sun May 15, 2011 3:59 pm

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=142065339167692

Doesn't look like its been posted in, in awhile.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amg414

New

Post by amg414 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=142065339167692

Doesn't look like its been posted in, in awhile.
Yes, that was the one I thought you were talking about. That should actually be last year's incoming part-time class. This year's incoming part-time class will be the class of 2015. So there is no group at all for the new round of students it would seem.

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Mon May 16, 2011 12:24 am

Ah, well someone should make one, I would do it except I'm paranoid so....

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:48 pm

If you guys got any Rutgers-Newark questions, please forward em over to me. I'm also an MSP student so I can help clarify anything.

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 am

So how's the job situation looking for you? RN doesn't rank in 1L so how did OCI work? What % of the class can actually manage to place competitively in NYC? There's a 3.0 curve, how rough is that? How's RU-N for NJ state jobs? How helpful did you find MSP in terms of helping with classes, and with networking?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Isabella23

New

Post by Isabella23 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:08 am

ericng314 wrote:If you guys got any Rutgers-Newark questions, please forward em over to me. I'm also an MSP student so I can help clarify anything.
Do you feel like the MSP program is worth it? Also if you are an evening student how does that work with the MSP program?

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 pm

MSP Part-timer here. It was helpful in the beginning. You have a chance to meet people prior to the semester starting, learn how to write briefs etc. But it's a lot of work. In addition to your class you have to go to these facilitations and you have homework to do. facilitations are after class during the week. The first semester, doing the homework could easily take me up to 6 hrs. That's in addition to all the reading you have to do for class. But I felt very comfortable writing an exam by the end of the semester because we had done so many in MSP. While I am not at the top of the class, I am pretty happy with my grades thus far. 2nd semester it was a bit overwhelming because we had LRW, which is a ton of work. They are looking to revamp the whole thing starting next year so who knows how it will look.

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 pm

I have to agree with Bigbub about the MSP program. They're revamping it though this year so not only do you do facilitations, but you have to attend these special programs for career development or some BS. Yeah, I don't know how that will work out honestly. You're also required to do Street Law now too during your 2L, which is not the case for me.

I do have to warn you though, these facilitations are a hit or miss in my opinion. Most of them were hits. And also, sometimes you might work your butt off for a class and land either amazing grades or horrible grades. From my experience, it's all arbitrary honestly.

As for the job situation, I have no clue. My grades are not the greatest or the worst. I'm still waiting for some grades to be released. I doubt that OCI looks great this semester since the economy is still recovering but we'll see.

If you guys have any further Qs about MSP, do message me. And if your facilitators are crappy, contact me b/c I probably know the facilitator and can tell them to wake up already Haha.

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Tue May 24, 2011 1:48 pm

If anyone has any questions about RU, feel free to ask them here or via pm. I was not in MSP if that helps.

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Not much activity for us this year compared to others...oh well....Has anybody visited the University Square dorms? If so can you give a description of the room setup. I'm still debating between dorming it up and living off-campus, Coming from out of the area I'd ideally like to live with a roommate to smooth the transition and keep costs down, anybody have any ideas for finding roommates outside of craigslist?

alexanderhamilton

New

Post by alexanderhamilton » Tue May 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Does anyone know how the Rutgers budget cuts will affect us?

SubwayatNight

New

Post by SubwayatNight » Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 am

alexanderhamilton wrote:Does anyone know how the Rutgers budget cuts will affect us?
I'm curious about this as well.

I've also been wondering about the state budget cuts and how that might impact tuition. I don't know much about New Jersey politics so I was hoping to find someone who could shed some light on it. Was higher education protected at all in the budget? This is becoming more important for me to consider if it turns out to be a major tuition hike for 2L or 3L because a school back home has offered me more scholarship money and at Rutgers I'll be paying in-state sticker.

Are any of you also going to Rutgers without a scholarship? What is the approximate percentage of students who do?

I've joined the Facebook group. Thanks to whoever made it! (I'm a Facebook newbie and didn't want to mess it up if I tried creating it).

I'm still hoping to find a website with more pictures of Rutgers and the surrounding area since I will be unable to visit it until July. Anybody have some they can share?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”