What are you going to be doing this summer before classes? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
queenlizzie13

Silver

Re: What are you going to be doing this summer before classes?

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 am

Road trip up to Colorado, traveling abroad, quitting my job and training to run Chicago Marathon. Also going to Disneyland one more time before law school to ride the new star tours which opens this summer.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Sat May 14, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:52 am

ladylegale wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
pattonthicke wrote:Chilling and reading books. Will be quitting my job in may (if i make it to then-im ready to leave this bitch now!!!) Forget making money, im just relaxing till school starts.
+ one fucking million

Nobody at work (save for my 4 closest friends) knows I am leaving, which will make it all the more sweet when I drop the bomb on my boss. Nothing like being recognized as the most productive employee of the year and then a few months later quitting. God, I hate my job. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it until May. I feel like I'm on auto-pilot.
DITTO! I can't wait to drop the bomb on my boss. Working for the company that I work for is like a friggin roller coaster ride. One minute they hate me and 2days later their giving me a promotion. I'm so tired of it all! I can't wait until that sweet day when I hand in my resignation! I'm leaving mid-july thank heavens!
I actually like my job, but I'm frustrated because they know I am considering law school and therefore will probably not give me any new or interesting projects to work on. Not a huge deal as long as I can keep getting a paycheck, but I am kind of bummed about that and might be kind of bored, especially once July/August rolls around. My boss and other management have asked me if I'm considering law school and I didn't want to just lie and tell them I'm not.

kch3684

Bronze

Post by kch3684 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 am

I have to work up to August 1st at my real job staying till 8/8 for the job I like and trying to rent my house out for next year, time is dragging and flying at the same time

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

kch3684 wrote:time is dragging and flying at the same time
Yup.

Work until 8/5, trying to make that 7/29, would love two weeks off.

Two weddings this summer, Cape trips, and beach (or my back deck) reading. Starting with the gossipy Game Change, moving to the classic Woodward's The Brethren, and ending with the personal memoirs of President Grant.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 am

Just got a new job in DC (where I'll be going to school) so I'll be working over the summer, but my job has really flexible hours, so I will be maximizing 4 days work weeks to alternate with 4 day weekends (or just a 3 day weekend every weekend) Working full time and LS part time will ruin my life for 13 weeks. but then I'll prob take a month off for end of semester/christmas break.

Also, Patent Bar....

Maybe

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deliriousxix

Bronze

Post by deliriousxix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am

Sandro wrote:get back in the shape I was before the LSAT/admissions ruined my habits. Volunteer.
+11111111

My last day of work is June 1st.. I'm gonna go on a couple of vacays and just relaxx.. probably try to read a bit too.. seeing as I haven't finished a book in a year lol. I also am training for a triathlon now.. so i'll probably run a few of those

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 am

Primary goal: go to as many baseball games as possible, consume beer and ballpark franks like it is my job. This ought to compliment nicely my other summer goal: to stick to a regular gym routine and get in shape before the stress of law school inevitably pulls me out of it.

Also: possible road trip to Vegas, trip to the Ozarks, weekend in Seattle. Was going to head to TN for Bonnaroo but friends' schedules are conflicting. I already have tickets to Avett Brothers and My Morning Jacket shows, and will likely have a much longer concert list by the end of summer. If I have time, I'll enjoy sitting outside with a few good books.

I love summer.

ETA: I think I'll keep my job for 3 days/week through most of July.

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:54 pm

My last day will likely be 8/1 if I'm looking at an 8/15 moving date. That first week I might go to Vegas (depends if I spend the money to go to Bonnaroo). Or I might just relax, start recycling and donating things, and get my stuff loaded up to move. I'll be reading a networking book or two :-)

Anyone have more than a few things to move? When I first got my RL job I bought a nice couch, and I'd like to move that, my bed, and my desk + clothes etc. Wondering what the best way to move was. Was looking at PODS....

Skipper2014

New

Post by Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:03 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Road trip up to Colorado, traveling abroad, quitting my job and training to run Chicago Marathon. Also going to Disneyland one more time before law school to ride the new star torus which opens this summer.
I was just there last week and was SO BUMMED that it was closed.

I quit my job and am waiting tables/going to the beach for 3 months. I'm going to miss California.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PHC

New

Post by PHC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:55 pm

I was planning on working until August, but all of the posts in here are doing a good job of changing my mind. I have been here for 3 years and I just don't think I can do this anymore.

I have a trip planned up to Boston/Maine in August that I just can't stop thinking about. Is it August yet? Ugh.... :|

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm

PHC wrote:I was planning on working until August, but all of the posts in here are doing a good job of changing my mind. I have been here for 3 years and I just don't think I can do this anymore.

I have a trip planned up to Boston/Maine in August that I just can't stop thinking about. Is it August yet? Ugh.... :|
All good ideas. Three years at my job, mentally checked out (mostly), luckily I like everyone I work with.

As the joke goes August is just about when the water in Maine goes from freezing to tolerable. Hope it works out for you.

kobebeef

New

Post by kobebeef » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 pm

drink heavily.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:34 pm

working then doing a tour of north east mlb ballparks with my dad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I'll be working at a law firm most of the summer. I'm thinking a road trip to the ozarks for fly fishing with my bff followed by flying for a weekend to a random location with the lady will be the perfect way to get all that out of my system before 1L year.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 am

1. Avoid a majority of my "friends" that I grew up with. It's my sincere desire to continue disassociating myself with these people (and fast). They're not exactly winners; that's as much as I care to say.

2. Maintain a rigorous workout routine before the 1L workload deflates my body.

3. Continue working and saving money. Refereeing basketball is great; it's fun, it pays well, and it has limited hours.

4. Start reading again. It's embarrassing how long I've gone since reading my last novel.

5. Purchase a new wardrobe. (I'm moving from South Florida to Philly.)

Bye.

tropicalpeach

New

Post by tropicalpeach » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Working two jobs until August 1st..trying to see if I can will myself to keep working until August 15th. Go to concerts during the summer. See Braves games. Fly to SF to see Giants games. Move to Minneapolis from Atlanta mid August. Happy to escape ridiculous heat. Explore city and learn bus schedules, etc. Figure out a way to move all my furniture and dog to Minneapolis. Chill for three weeks until school starts after labor day. I've been working so much I'm actually really looking forward to school again!

skyonedesign

New

Post by skyonedesign » Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 am

Mark my summer with this weekend: Mud-Run in the morning and Pacquiao fight at night. Vegas for bottle poppin and pool parties :D SD bar hopping, LBC bar hopping, and LA clubbing. And in between all this madness, reading :D

Oh n quit the Part time job at a certain electronics retailer. But of course, thats after I buy everything i need for my apartment :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

math101

Bronze

Post by math101 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 am

. . .
Last edited by math101 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 am

I'm already living it up in Hong Kong, and I don't have a job, nor do I need one right now, so I doubt I'll be employed before law school starts in August. Might work as a part time teacher to make a few extra bucks. Just got back from the last two fun trips of the year (to Bangkok then to Xi'an), before my move to New England, and I'm uninterested in doing anymore unnecessary traveling.

In my free time I'm helping a friend with some academic work, going to the gym, studying programming languages, and doing a lot of 0L research about law school and such. I'm also taking the LSAT again in June for the hell of it (if I get anywhere close to a 180 - very unlikely - I might reconsider going to law school this year).

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:33 am

afghanistan. seriously - nothing to do there other than make money, work out, and read (0L prep books ...).

side note: has anyone tried a speed reading course (either computer-based or textbook)? Feel like it might be a useful skill for law school ...

Omega10

New

Post by Omega10 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 am

A professor at an ASD specifically told us not to take a speed reading course. I'm sure it is a matter of preference, but they indicated that those courses are not in sync with the type of reading we'll want/need to do as law students. I haven't heard much on the subject beyond that one opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Wed May 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Officially told my boss when my last day of work will be (July 1). Now time to start planning out a bunch of mini-trips.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

I'll be taking 2 trips to the beach, a trip to the lake, and drinking more than I ever have in my life. I'm also hoping to squeeze in a liver transplant at the beginning of August.

I might read GTM if I find myself sober and bored, but that seems unlikely.

stowhat

New

Post by stowhat » Wed May 04, 2011 2:29 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Road trip up to Colorado, traveling abroad, quitting my job and training to run Chicago Marathon. Also going to Disneyland one more time before law school to ride the new star torus which opens this summer.
Yes! Disneyland is on my agenda as well (can't wait for the new Star Tours). Other than that, working in my current position until August 15 and spending my weekends at the pool/beach or doing short weekend trips along the California coast.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Starting to pack for my summer, I'm going to Germany Monday and won't be coming back till August! I love summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”