What are you going to be doing this summer before classes? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ScrabbleChamp

Silver

What are you going to be doing this summer before classes?

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am

I'm resigning from my position at work in May and I'm going to enjoy not having a full-time job for a few months before classes start. I'm probably going to read a crap ton of books (academic and fiction) to get back in the "school" mindset. Anyone have anything fun/exciting planned?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: What are you going to be doing this summer before classes?

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am

Beach, cigars, drinks, books, all at the same time in what I hope to be a delightful 3 months.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am

Work until at least the end of June. Im thinking of attending IUB and doing their Summer Start, so I may be in classes by July.

Other than that, big graduation/going away party with the family in NYC, friends' graduation parties, and enjoying the time I have left here on the East Coast. DC in the summer is a great place to be, so I am going to finish drinking in the city, because who knows when/if I'll ever get a chance to move back here :(

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am

Make money and drink. Although the latter might interfere with the former.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 pm

get back in the shape I was before the LSAT/admissions ruined my habits. Volunteer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Patent bar

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:22 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:DC in the summer is a great miserable, sweaty, 100-degrees-every-day-and-humid place to be
I'm doing summer start at Mich, so I don't get a summer before classes, but part of my desire to do that may have been influenced by the opportunity to gtfo of DC because I don't think I'd survive another summer here.

I am leaving my job about 3 weeks before law school, so I'll spend some time doing all the touristy things I never did during the year and a half I lived here (while it's still only hot instead of hellish), go home to New England for a bit, just relax and whatnot. There will probably be a good amount of kayaking.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Sandro wrote:get back in the shape I was before the LSAT/admissions ruined my habits. Volunteer.
+1000.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Going to Germany, traveling, and getting tan before I come back to SF!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spece212

New

Post by spece212 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Vacillating between quiting my job in end of May and then chilling out, reading books or going on till mid July and make some $$$ to offset my upcoming huge debt!!!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:05 pm

spece212 wrote:Vacillating between quiting my job in end of May and then chilling out, reading books or going on till mid July and make some $$$ to offset my upcoming huge debt!!!
I thought about that too, but decided that after years of work, I'm definitely going to quit early and enjoy my time off. I can't remember the last time I had a vacation.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Vegas obv

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Entchen wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:DC in the summer is a great miserable, sweaty, 100-degrees-every-day-and-humid place to be
I'm doing summer start at Mich, so I don't get a summer before classes, but part of my desire to do that may have been influenced by the opportunity to gtfo of DC because I don't think I'd survive another summer here.

I am leaving my job about 3 weeks before law school, so I'll spend some time doing all the touristy things I never did during the year and a half I lived here (while it's still only hot instead of hellish), go home to New England for a bit, just relax and whatnot. There will probably be a good amount of kayaking.
The weather is horrid, but there are a lot of fun things to do. I much prefer the heat over the cold, no matter how muggy it is. Im sure Indiana will be frigid, and that is one thing I am not looking forward to.

I love this city, and I'll be sad to see it go. Even the putrid, sticky summer days, LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:41 pm

fatduck wrote:Patent bar
Smart man

That's where I fucked up. I could have nailed it, but I jerked around instead.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Cancun! Unless I somehow get accepted into the SEO program :?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 pm

JazzOne wrote:
fatduck wrote:Patent bar
Smart man

That's where I fucked up. I could have nailed it, but I jerked around instead.
Yea, even if it doesn't help me at all for summer jobs, I'll be glad to have it out of the way. This is probably going to be my least stressful summer for a long time.

spece212

New

Post by spece212 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
spece212 wrote:Vacillating between quiting my job in end of May and then chilling out, reading books or going on till mid July and make some $$$ to offset my upcoming huge debt!!!
I thought about that too, but decided that after years of work, I'm definitely going to quit early and enjoy my time off. I can't remember the last time I had a vacation.
You gave me just the motivation I needed :-)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Make money, have some drinks, and reading a lot. I want to get into finance and economics, just for the hell of it. It's something I've had an interest in for the past few semesters but I haven't had time to crack open a book yet.

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Chilling and reading books. Will be quitting my job in may (if i make it to then-im ready to leave this bitch now!!!) Forget making money, im just relaxing till school starts.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Working til the end of July and then moving, getting married, taking a honeymoon, and starting school in the span of two weeks in August :D

Nothing like sandwiching a bunch of huge life changes together, right? I envy all of you that are gonna relax all summer.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39 pm

pattonthicke wrote:Chilling and reading books. Will be quitting my job in may (if i make it to then-im ready to leave this bitch now!!!) Forget making money, im just relaxing till school starts.
+ one fucking million

Nobody at work (save for my 4 closest friends) knows I am leaving, which will make it all the more sweet when I drop the bomb on my boss. Nothing like being recognized as the most productive employee of the year and then a few months later quitting. God, I hate my job. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it until May. I feel like I'm on auto-pilot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Wish I could just chill, but insane col in nyc = me having to look for a summer job. ugh.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:46 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
pattonthicke wrote:Chilling and reading books. Will be quitting my job in may (if i make it to then-im ready to leave this bitch now!!!) Forget making money, im just relaxing till school starts.
+ one fucking million

Nobody at work (save for my 4 closest friends) knows I am leaving, which will make it all the more sweet when I drop the bomb on my boss. Nothing like being recognized as the most productive employee of the year and then a few months later quitting. God, I hate my job. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it until May. I feel like I'm on auto-pilot.
I said the EXACT same thing today. My boss knows Im leaving, but if I didnt need the money I would just breeze on out. Im finishing up undergrad, but Im only taking 7 credits and I am frankly just going through the motions. I dont give a fcuk about any of those classes or the people in them, lol!!

spece212

New

Post by spece212 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
+ one fucking million

* 10 freaking million.

I feel like I am in the pilot seat with one hand on the eject button!!!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 pm

spece212 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
+ one fucking million

* 10 freaking million.

I feel like I am in the pilot seat with one hand on the eject button!!!
It is getting so much more difficult to not walk away from job on a daily basis... I work in a high-stress environment, which does not bother me, but sometimes my boss goes crazy of the smallest of things. I have 7 people on my team and 5 of the 7 are not performing well, and it is causing our boss to bitch at everyone (even the two of us that are doing well) about everything. I really just want to punch him in the gut and tell him to shut his trap because he surely isn't making it better for the 5 that are struggling AND he's annoying the hell out of the two of us that are not having issues. That, and our company is going through a mid-life crisis (we've been doing things in a similar fashion for 200 years, do we really need to change things up this year when we reported record profits last year?) and are having all of us go through training on new company procedures and systems. I have 5 hours of meetings this week just to go over a new "process" the company has come up with to handle complex issues. Blaa...

/rant

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”