Emory Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
gotcha

New

Re: Emory Law Class of 2014

Post by gotcha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:14 pm

theonemind wrote:If anyone is planning to live at Clairmont Reserve, let me know and I'll split the referral fee with you. Also let me know if you have any questions about Clairmont Reserve. It has a really great location since it is right across the street from the shuttle that goes straight to the law school.
I was considering living here next year. How long have you lived there? How long is the shuttle ride? What size bed could comfortably fit in the bedrooms?

theonemind

New

Post by theonemind » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 pm

gotcha wrote:
theonemind wrote:If anyone is planning to live at Clairmont Reserve, let me know and I'll split the referral fee with you. Also let me know if you have any questions about Clairmont Reserve. It has a really great location since it is right across the street from the shuttle that goes straight to the law school.
I was considering living here next year. How long have you lived there? How long is the shuttle ride? What size bed could comfortably fit in the bedrooms?

I'm a 1L and I've lived here since August. I plan on staying for the next 2 years since I've had a good experience here. I have a full size bed that fits comfortably in my room. You could probably fit a queen sized bed if you really wanted one and you would still have space for everything.

The shuttle ride is really quick. It takes about 15 minutes, but it varies a bit so I usually leave 20-25 minutes. If you want a place close to campus and you don't want to deal with traffic/parking then Clairmont Reserve is a really good option.

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:15 pm

2L who lives at Post. Any questions let me know. Also will split the $300 referral fee 8)

spets

Bronze

Post by spets » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:24 pm

gobucks101 wrote:2L who lives at Post. Any questions let me know. Also will split the $300 referral fee 8)
I talked to a 1L that lived at Post and liked it. What are your thoughts?

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 pm

spets wrote:
gobucks101 wrote:2L who lives at Post. Any questions let me know. Also will split the $300 referral fee 8)
Love it. I lived at CC during 1L year and it was horrendous. Shuttle was overcrowded/not on time, no parking, joke of a gym, the Great Flood of 2010, having to have my wall torn down because they installed a water pipe with a hole in it....I guess they have the kinks worked out now.

Benefits of Post
-Lots of law students live here
-Very good gym. Treadmills/ellipticals etc. for cardio, barbells up to 75 and some good machines
-Never have to worry about parking
-2 pools including a water volleyball one
-Good price. I pay $525 for a double plus utilities
-Adjacent to Whole Foods and Mellow Mushroom

Negatives
-Having to furnish apartment
-Less frequent shuttle. I drive to school so this doesn't bother me but I think the Post shuttle is only every 30 minutes
-While lots of students live here, not as convenient walking towards them. I liked at CC being able to walk next door to a class mate to ask a question, steal some milk etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spets

Bronze

Post by spets » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 pm

gobucks101 wrote:
spets wrote:
Love it. I lived at CC during 1L year and it was horrendous. Shuttle was overcrowded/not on time, no parking, joke of a gym, the Great Flood of 2010, having to have my wall torn down because they installed a water pipe with a hole in it....I guess they have the kinks worked out now.

Benefits of Post
-Lots of law students live here
-Very good gym. Treadmills/ellipticals etc. for cardio, barbells up to 75 and some good machines
-Never have to worry about parking
-2 pools including a water volleyball one
-Good price. I pay $525 for a double plus utilities
-Adjacent to Whole Foods and Mellow Mushroom

Negatives
-Having to furnish apartment
-Less frequent shuttle. I drive to school so this doesn't bother me but I think the Post shuttle is only every 30 minutes
-While lots of students live here, not as convenient walking towards them. I liked at CC being able to walk next door to a class mate to ask a question, steal some milk etc.
Wow, I wish I could get a list like this for every one of those complexes - I would be able to decide without visiting any of them. Thanks for the breakdown.

ELS2013

New

Post by ELS2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm looking to have someone take over my lease for a 1br/1b and parking at Campus Crossing. Currently, the going rate for 1br/1b is $1050 for this model, and an additional $70 for parking every month. However, because I renewed my lease with the renewal rate discount, you'll be paying $1035+$50 for parking (in the parking garage). Basically, you'll be saving $45-50 a month, and you'll be on the fourth floor, without the possibility of loud people above you. The process is the same as if you were working through the leasing office. They'll give you the application, and you'll have to sign a new lease with them, but you'll receive my rate instead of the increased rate.

The apartment faces out towards Old Briarcliff Rd, so you have a nice view and no creepsters to look into your windows. My current lease is up at the end of July, but if you wanted to move in and take over the lease early, that would be fine as well.

Bottom line
if you're considering a 1br/1b at Campus Crossing you can either:
1) pay $1050+$70 for parking at the current rate or
2) pay $1035+$50 for parking by taking over my lease

I spoke to the leasing office today to make make sure everything would be alright if I had someone take over my lease and they said they're are about four 1br/1b apartments left. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can talk over the phone or via email. Also, all Campus Crossing apartments come furnished.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 pm

So, I checked out Post after the positive remarks... the biggest problem I have is that they are trying to rape me with that outrageous pet fee. I have had my dog for three years and never had to pay more than $300 extra for the entire year. Anyone have any ideas for a bit more pet friendly communities regarding the wallet?

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:19 am

How soon would you guys recommend getting housing sorted? I'm still unsure if I'll be attending Emory (though I'm about 70% certain), and I'm a bit out of the loop concerning housing. Thanks to those who have shared views on the various housing blocks though. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Metaread wrote:How soon would you guys recommend getting housing sorted? I'm still unsure if I'll be attending Emory (though I'm about 70% certain), and I'm a bit out of the loop concerning housing. Thanks to those who have shared views on the various housing blocks though. :)
I'm looking at a place over in Clairmont Reserve (there is a bus right up the street that takes you directly to the law school).

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:11 pm

oopspowsurprise

New

Post by oopspowsurprise » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:24 am

hey everyone, excited to be a part of the 2014 class

im probably living at Clairmont Reserve. i visited it before I left and its pretty nice, plus from what I saw its the best value considering the distance and cost... i did this apartment search but couldn't find that much for a good price. there were houses for a decent price but i don't know many people yet.

i'm probably going apartment hunting in june/july to get a better grasp of it all.

anyway, congrats everyone and i hope to meet you all in august

ballpop

Bronze

Post by ballpop » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Also looking for a place at Clairmont Reserve. Heard about a deal they got for the smaller 2 bedroom 1 bath (they call it a den but the rooms seem to be the same size on the blueprint layout they have up) for $1085 for 12 months (though I am looking to reduce the length of the rent to 10 months, which they say might actually up the rent, but maybe I'll sublet depending on what a roommate would want)

Close to the Cliff Shuttle, free parking ($25 dollar one time fee, $300 admin fee once a lease term, $75 per roommate credit/background check fee)

Seems to be affordable and perfect for 1L living

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 pm

ballpop wrote:Also looking for a place at Clairmont Reserve. Heard about a deal they got for the smaller 2 bedroom 1 bath (they call it a den but the rooms seem to be the same size on the blueprint layout they have up) for $1085 for 12 months (though I am looking to reduce the length of the rent to 10 months, which they say might actually up the rent, but maybe I'll sublet depending on what a roommate would want)

Close to the Cliff Shuttle, free parking ($25 dollar one time fee, $300 admin fee once a lease term, $75 per roommate credit/background check fee)

Seems to be affordable and perfect for 1L living
It totally is. It's also got a very nice gym.

oopspowsurprise

New

Post by oopspowsurprise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:53 pm

yeah after looking at apartments for days on end its pretty clear that clairmont is pretty good when you consider distance, cost, amenities, etc.

i have been looking at all types of apartments in the area (5 miles or less) and seen gems like "dont live on the 1st floor you'll get robbed", "the rats and roaches are a big problem", etc. i am willing to sacrifice some $$$ to live pretty well... I don't want to live in fear of having my stuff stolen or a rat in my room.

i guess a lot of 2L/3L's go farther from campus and closer to downtown but for now this is fine

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:55 pm

oopspowsurprise wrote:yeah after looking at apartments for days on end its pretty clear that clairmont is pretty good when you consider distance, cost, amenities, etc.

i have been looking at all types of apartments in the area (5 miles or less) and seen gems like "dont live on the 1st floor you'll get robbed", "the rats and roaches are a big problem", etc. i am willing to sacrifice some $$$ to live pretty well... I don't want to live in fear of having my stuff stolen or a rat in my room.

i guess a lot of 2L/3L's go farther from campus and closer to downtown but for now this is fine
yeah! definitely....or have stuff stolen by rats haha. I'm going to be living in Clairmont with a roomate and it's already furnished (he has leather couches...etc). 3rd floor. It really is nice too. The room is a decent size and everything looks fairly new.

oopspowsurprise

New

Post by oopspowsurprise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:14 pm

yeah CR is actually pretty nice I went there the night before ASD to hang out with some people I knew from the law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hawks1986

New

Post by Hawks1986 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:11 am

Anybody else having problems to contact the Campus Crossings/Briarcliff people? I submitted my application three weeks ago but keep getting their email with general information over and over again ... and aside from their automatic "your application is being processed" message I haven't heard back from them.

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere because all this seems a bit unprofessional to me.

ELS2013

New

Post by ELS2013 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 am

Still looking for anyone who wants to rent a 1/1 at Campus Crossing and is interested in taking my already-renewed lease at a cheaper rate than they're offering this year. PM me if you're interest/for details. No reason to get a 1/1 and pay more!

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:15 pm

In the hopes that we can get this thread going again....

Anyone else excited as I am to move to Atlanta?
The city I live in now is pretty crappy.
Any good bars? (I went to Darkhorse and it was pretty awesome)
Sights?
What's up, ATL?

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oopspowsurprise

New

Post by oopspowsurprise » Tue May 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey so I'm moving to Clairmont Reserve

I don't have a roommate though, is anyone in the similar situation? I don't want to get an undergrad roommate and would really prefer if I had a law student as a roommate

TransplantedFan

New

Post by TransplantedFan » Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 pm

I've been looking at a lot of places on Craigslist and finding some things that are maybe an extra mile out that are significantly less expensive than Clairemont Reserve. Where else are people looking?

I'm looking at Clifton Apartments, Longwood (though that seems like a crappy building from the pictures), Sloan Square Apartments, really anything that shows up on Craigslist. Most everything looks like its a lot cheaper than the city I'm coming from though, which is nice.

oopspowsurprise

New

Post by oopspowsurprise » Wed May 18, 2011 6:44 pm

TransplantedFan wrote:I've been looking at a lot of places on Craigslist and finding some things that are maybe an extra mile out that are significantly less expensive than Clairemont Reserve. Where else are people looking?

I'm looking at Clifton Apartments, Longwood (though that seems like a crappy building from the pictures), Sloan Square Apartments, really anything that shows up on Craigslist. Most everything looks like its a lot cheaper than the city I'm coming from though, which is nice.
from what I've seen a lot of them are crappy in the area. I know Longwood is bad, Clifton Apartments had bad reviews too.

This site is great for apartments everywhere, I've been using it even in undergrad

http://www.apartmentratings.com/

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Btw if anyone needs a room at CC, I know a 2L who has a room for rent. PM me if your'e interested and I'll help you get in contact.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”