Ole Miss Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
samaside

New

Re: Ole Miss Class of 2014

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't remember my status changing to anything. But it might have. I wasn't really checking it religiously. I found out on accident through an email telling me that the deposit date had been changed on a Thursday and got the acceptance letter the next day. I live on an Army base in rural, Upstate New York right now so I figure they just misjudged the time it would take to get me. But, yeah. So, no, you're probably still good. Because I just got the good news through snail mail. And with that GPA and LSAT score I can't understand why they would reject you. Because I applied on the very last day to apply, lol.

edyoung

New

Post by edyoung » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Clemson11 wrote:Applied reallyyyyy late, early February I believe! 3.4 GPA and 163 from Clemson University, major in Philosophy. Status was updated 3/29 to "Admission Decision Mailed." I've read a number of different things on this thread, but was wondering if I am doomed for a "ding" letter. Have any of the recent admits or rejects (sorry for the harsh terminology) recieved an e-mail or phone call, or has the good news arrived only by snail mail? I also see that at the top of the Application Status Checker page it says that the deposit deadline is 4/14, 4/1 for scholarship recipients. Does this indicate a decision? Thanks, I hope I get in but if not, it's between Tennessee or Penn State.
If you haven't gotten your letter yet, I'd say you're in. I applied on the very last day of the cycle and received my letter of admittance this past week. 3.3/160 OOS

Clemson11

New

Post by Clemson11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! Recieved my acceptance yesterday!! Although it did not contain my Ole' Miss number that I need to access the admitted students site. Should I just call for this?

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:52 pm

157 LSAT (cold turkey)
3.66ish GPA
Undergrad at Ole Miss

No scholarships - I was pretty bummed.

I'm doing the joint JD/Masters of Taxation program - anyone else doing the same?

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Clemson11 wrote:Thanks for the help everyone! Recieved my acceptance yesterday!! Although it did not contain my Ole' Miss number that I need to access the admitted students site. Should I just call for this?
When I called on Thursday they said they were still getting these done for recently admitted students, I'd wait until the end of this coming week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:157 LSAT (cold turkey)
3.66ish GPA
Undergrad at Ole Miss

No scholarships - I was pretty bummed.

I'm doing the joint JD/Masters of Taxation program - anyone else doing the same?
I'm not doing the joint taxation program; I don't know the numbers of how popular the joint programs are, but I think the taxation one is more highly valued so you probably made a really smart choice.

As for scholarships, keep in mind that you can apply for aid every April, and your performance in 1L has serious weight when it comes time for private endowments etc.
Clemson11 wrote:Thanks for the help everyone! Recieved my acceptance yesterday!! Although it did not contain my Ole' Miss number that I need to access the admitted students site. Should I just call for this?
Since I'm an Ole Miss undergraduate, the process works a little differently for me so I can't give you a definite answer. You should certainly call the admissions office, though... they tend to be extremely helpful. It may be that the number comes a little later in the cycle after you pay the seat deposit.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

I would call or email them. I had to do that to get mine. Because I tried to call Financial Aid to ask about loans and the like and they refused to talk to me until I was in their system and had my number. Financial Aid was actually very rude, sadly. But Admissions got it all taken care of within a day of me emailing them for help so it all worked out.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 am

Does anyone know if Ole Miss lets people request seat deposit extensions? I'm still waiting to hear from a few other schools and I doubt I'll hear anything until after their seat deposits come through - or, more likely, a certain amount don't come through. Obviously, I'd like to extend until after their deadlines have been made. But, also, I'm considered non-essential personnel so if the government shuts down on Friday - though I will still be working - I won't be getting paid for about a couple weeks.

Knuckles

New

Post by Knuckles » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't know what their policy is, but if we do have a shutdown, then I think mentioning that alone will get you an extension.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scmatthews

New

Post by scmatthews » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I sent in my seat deposit today! Still waiting for a decision from my first choice, but that is looking doubtful, and I'm making plans to be in Oxford this fall.

I had car trouble on the day of the open house and only made it about 90 miles toward Oxford before having to turn back (worst. day. ever.). Did any of you go? Anything notable to report?

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:01 pm

scmatthews wrote:I sent in my seat deposit today! Still waiting for a decision from my first choice, but that is looking doubtful, and I'm making plans to be in Oxford this fall.

I had car trouble on the day of the open house and only made it about 90 miles toward Oxford before having to turn back (worst. day. ever.). Did any of you go? Anything notable to report?
I went, but only because I had to drive roughly 10 minutes to get there (I'm an undergrad here). I found they pretty much went over the same information that they did on the Pre Law Day open house.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Seat deposit sent in. Still waiting to hear back from two other school before I commit to attending. But my top choice isn't really looking like it's going to happen, either. Not that I'd probably know until sometime in May at the earliest.

edyoung

New

Post by edyoung » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:11 pm

sent my seat deposit in last week, but probably going to pursue the wake waitlist through the summer

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

T14FM

New

Post by T14FM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:28 am

I'm a 3.9, 174 MS resident weighing my options for law school. I've been accepted to the entire T14, excluding Yale. I have about a dozen full or close to full scholarships within the T20, but I want to practice law in state and I eventually want to be involved in MS politics. Kind of surprised I didn't get yield protected at Ole Miss, but I'm in with full ride plus stipend.

Any reason I should consider Ole Miss? Figured I'd ask you guys since you liked it enough to go.

jdl239

New

Post by jdl239 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:58 pm

T14FM wrote:I'm a 3.9, 174 MS resident weighing my options for law school. I've been accepted to the entire T14, excluding Yale. I have about a dozen full or close to full scholarships within the T20, but I want to practice law in state and I eventually want to be involved in MS politics. Kind of surprised I didn't get yield protected at Ole Miss, but I'm in with full ride plus stipend.

Any reason I should consider Ole Miss? Figured I'd ask you guys since you liked it enough to go.

I liked it enough to go because I did not get accepted to the entire T14 like yourself. But hey if a small town school is your thing and you can go there for free, who am I to tell you what to do. Only you can decide where you will be happy. A JD from a T14 should not hinder you from practicing in MS or MS Politics. It would only help IMO. I am sure there are not a lot of kids from MS going to T14s. It would make you unique around these parts.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I just got offered an out-of-state waiver scholarship thing so I guess unless I get into Alabama I'll be at Ole Miss in the fall. I'm waiting to hear from ASU soon but I've withdrawn from all the other schools I've gotten into or am waitlisted at in favor of Ole Miss. Guess I ought to start looking into housing....

wnwidman

New

Living Arrangement in Oxford

Post by wnwidman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Hello fellow TLS posters! I'm a long time reader of this forum, and a first time poster.

I have just decided to go to Ole Miss for law school this fall, and am looking into renting a house for the upcoming year. I would be interested in finding a roommate, or getting advice from anyone who is familiar with real estate in Oxford...

I'm a 23 year old male from Birmingham, Alabama, recently graduated from the University of Alabama. I studied Finance and Econ, and am extremely enthusiastic about attending law school in Mississippi (where my family is originally from). I like to consider myself easy-going, and my studies are important to me. I have new Weimaraner-Lab mix puppy and want a backyard, and would prefer not to be in an apartment.

If you or someone that you know would like to pursue renting a house in Oxford, email me at wnwidman@gmail.com.

Thanks, and Hotty Toddy!

Will Widman

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdl239

New

Re: Living Arrangement in Oxford

Post by jdl239 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:25 pm

wnwidman wrote:Hello fellow TLS posters! I'm a long time reader of this forum, and a first time poster.

I have just decided to go to Ole Miss for law school this fall, and am looking into renting a house for the upcoming year. I would be interested in finding a roommate, or getting advice from anyone who is familiar with real estate in Oxford...

I'm a 23 year old male from Birmingham, Alabama, recently graduated from the University of Alabama. I studied Finance and Econ, and am extremely enthusiastic about attending law school in Mississippi (where my family is originally from). I like to consider myself easy-going, and my studies are important to me. I have new Weimaraner-Lab mix puppy and want a backyard, and would prefer not to be in an apartment.

If you or someone that you know would like to pursue renting a house in Oxford, email me at wnwidman@gmail.com.

Thanks, and Hotty Toddy!

Will Widman

PM'd

emotiondetector

New

Post by emotiondetector » Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 pm

EDIT: Typos
Last edited by emotiondetector on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edyoung

New

Post by edyoung » Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 pm

emotiondetector wrote:I guess I'll hop on the housing bandwagon too.

I am a 23 year old male from Georgia who will be attending Ole Miss law and proud of it. I graduated from the University of Alabama last May and have been working in the Great State of Washington for the past year. I'm going to be doing summer school at the law school, so I'm looking for places to live and/or roommates fairly quickly. I'm hoping to be studious this year and am looking for similar roommates. However, I do like a good beer every now and again.

I'd be more interested in finding a place far away from undergrads and the square cause I know how rowdy Oxford can get in the fall. I'm not too far removed from my undergrad years though, so I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I'm gonna be in Oxford this week looking for housing. If I sound like a rad roommate or if you know someone radder than you who is also looking for a law/grad student roommate shoot me an e-mail at RhodesBerry@gmail.com

See yall on the slopes,

-Rhodes Berry

EDIT: Typos

emailed.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Thu May 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Also jumping on the housing bandwagon now that I'll officially be at Ole Miss come August.

My name is Sam - short for Samantha - and I'm twenty-two years old. I graduated from the University of the Pacific out in California back in May 2010. I'm not really from anywhere. My father is active duty military and has been my whole life so I've lived all over the country and in a few other countries as well. I haven't been down south since I was about seven or eight (unless you count Texas) but I'm looking forward to getting back down there. My parents plan on retiring to Alabama and my sisters both plan on going to school in Alabama so the region is pretty much going to be home sooner than later.

I don't mind being close to the square or the undergrads. I'm actually looking for a place closer to campus since I'd like to bike or longboard (street surfaces and city ordnances willing) to and from school. Plus I'm sort of looking forward to getting as much of a big school experience as I can get. My undergraduate institution was super small and, I'm not going to lie, Ole Miss football was a big deciding factor in me attending the university. My dad always says that SEC schools are the only schools that really play football. I really felt like I missed out as an undergrad. But I'd consider other locations, too. I just like to be in the thick of things.

Personality-wise, I'm pretty easy going. I'm not a partier but I tend to like to have people over often for a few beers to watch crappy movies on Netflix and play video games. I like to relax and hang out sometimes. But don't get me wrong I also take school very seriously. I graduated PBK with a double major in international relations and political science. I just like to have fun, too. Also, I love animals so I'm cool with pets and everything - except birds. Never been a fan of birds.

Honestly, I don't really like the idea of being a girl living alone in a town she's never been to before. (I know, I know. Pulling the damsel in distress card.) So if you or someone you know is looking for an awesome roommate who brings a PS3, 360, and Rock Band to the table... I'm your gal. Hit me up.

- Sam Wildman (wildman.samantha@gmail.com, facebook.com/sam.wildman)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scmatthews

New

Post by scmatthews » Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Hey all,

Got rejected from my first choice today (MAN THAT HURT) but I'm pretty excited I get to stay in the SEC. And, now I get to start planning the move from Tuscaloosa to Oxford. Pretty exciting.

See y'all this fall.
Sara Elizabeth Matthews

lukew64

New

Post by lukew64 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Since we're on the topic of introductions, I'm Luke Widener, a hillbilly from Northeast Tennessee with friends in graduate studies in History in Oxford. I'm getting married Saturday and we're moving to Oxford the first of June. We put down a lease on a cottage north of town owned by Old Miss Rentals.

I found the admitted students links to housing to be very helpful, and they were instrumental in us finding our place. You guys might want to check that out. You can do side-by-side comparisons of housing in town.

I look forward to seeing and meeting each of you in August.

Hotty Toddy!!

andrew6583

New

Post by andrew6583 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:14 am

Hello, I'm also looking for housing beginning in the fall. I've only been to Oxford once for a football game last year, and didn't get much of an orientation to the city itself. Any thoughts and/or help on where the best places to look for housing, anyone looking for roommates, etc send me an email at westcan@auburn.edu. Thanks for any help, and I look forward to meeting you all in the fall!

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 am

I really want to send you an email because I really need a roommate. But my parents are already disappointed in me going to Ole Miss. I think my mom would actually disown or possibly dismember me if I roomed with someone from Auburn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”