Cornell Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
PinkCow

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby PinkCow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:50 pm

alec92 wrote:Hey guys, I know a lot of you are probably thinking about housing for next year, and I just wanted to give you a bit of a heads up. I'm currently UG here at Cornell, recently admitted to their law school and absolutely love the campus.

HOWEVER I caution all of you to watch out for Valentine Park apartments, from Novarr Mackesey. I would strongly discourage you from living here. Not to give too specific details, but in addition to being relatively farther away from than places in Collegetown and much less attractive/comfortable/functional, I've also been having flooding problems that have not been adequately addressed. So, be on the look out! I know a lot of law students live here, because it's relatively cheap and they advertise a gym (pretty crappy) and free parking (usually not enough spots), but just make sure you evaluate all of the other housing options first.

Thank you for this post. My wife and I are currently hunting for a place and we're worried we'll be stuck in a similar situation, so getting a heads up is great. All too familiar...

Please let me know if there are any other places to stay away from :)

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 pm

alec92 wrote:Hey guys, I know a lot of you are probably thinking about housing for next year, and I just wanted to give you a bit of a heads up. I'm currently UG here at Cornell, recently admitted to their law school and absolutely love the campus.

HOWEVER I caution all of you to watch out for Valentine Park apartments, from Novarr Mackesey. I would strongly discourage you from living here. Not to give too specific details, but in addition to being relatively farther away from than places in Collegetown and much less attractive/comfortable/functional, I've also been having flooding problems that have not been adequately addressed. So, be on the look out! I know a lot of law students live here, because it's relatively cheap and they advertise a gym (pretty crappy) and free parking (usually not enough spots), but just make sure you evaluate all of the other housing options first.

Thank you for the heads up....Is there anywhere you would recommend? Also any suggestions on hotel to stay at while visiting?

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 am

Hello everyone again....So I was almost deadset on Cornell, but then BU gave me a FULL Scholly...I am sure I will get aid from Cornell, but nor sure if it will be that generous. Do any of you think Cornell could match? I am URM and would really like to go there, but leaving law school with no debt is VERY difficult to turn down.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:33 am

elm84dr wrote:Hello everyone again....So I was almost deadset on Cornell, but then BU gave me a FULL Scholly...I am sure I will get aid from Cornell, but nor sure if it will be that generous. Do any of you think Cornell could match? I am URM and would really like to go there, but leaving law school with no debt is VERY difficult to turn down.

I think if Cornell can give you some form of significant aid (whatever that threshold is for you I don't know), then I think the safer choice would be to choose Cornell. Unless BU is also giving you a very generous living stipend, you'll still have to take on considerable debt.

I'll assume that by full scholly you mean the 105K they offer over three years, meaning you still need to pay 15K out of your own pocket? So in the end you'll be looking at 50-70K of debt anyways

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:45 am

No Full, and 19,000 stipend per year...

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 am

elm84dr wrote:No Full, and 19,000 stipend per year...

Well then, BU is your winner.

edit: And congrats! That's an amazing offer.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:15 pm

1L here. I live in Quarry Apartments, which is run by Novarr, and is almost adjacent to Valentine Park apts. Several of my friends currently live in Valentine Park apts and do not feel their place is "much less attractive/comfortable/functional," nor have they experienced flooding problems. In fact, several more 1Ls are moving down to Valentine for next year. I will also be staying in the same area next year. The area is about an 8 minute walk from the law school and is exponentially quieter than Collegetown on the weekends.

Prospective students - don't rely on generalizations.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:05 pm

afghan007 wrote:

1L here. I live in Quarry Apartments, which is run by Novarr, and is almost adjacent to Valentine Park apts. Several of my friends currently live in Valentine Park apts and do not feel their place is "much less attractive/comfortable/functional," nor have they experienced flooding problems. In fact, several more 1Ls are moving down to Valentine for next year. I will also be staying in the same area next year. The area is about an 8 minute walk from the law school and is exponentially quieter than Collegetown on the weekends.

Thanks for the tips. How detrimental to life in general would living ~2 miles north of Campus be? My uncle lives there and he might offer to let me "rent" a room there with my girlfriend, making it tremendously less expensive. Would living that far away be problematic, in your experience?

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:16 pm

So I just realized I have to submit the additional financial aid form and my dad hasn't received his tax return yet. Does this mean no money from Cornell?

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 pm

tipler4213 wrote:So I just realized I have to submit the additional financial aid form and my dad hasn't received his tax return yet. Does this mean no money from Cornell?

Send in your dad's 2009 return and scan the financial aid form. It's still not the 15th, you'll be good.

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
afghan007 wrote:

Thanks for the tips. How detrimental to life in general would living ~2 miles north of Campus be? My uncle lives there and he might offer to let me "rent" a room there with my girlfriend, making it tremendously less expensive. Would living that far away be problematic, in your experience?

Almost entirely a personal choice. I wouldn't do it, but I know plenty of people who love living that far, if not further, from campus.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 pm

afghan007 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
afghan007 wrote:

Almost entirely a personal choice. I wouldn't do it, but I know plenty of people who love living that far, if not further, from campus.

Thanks.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Would anyone who is going to be in Ithaca for the April 8th Admitted Students Weekend like to meet for a drink Thursday or Friday night to talk about schools and get to know each other (possible future classmates) better?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 pm

PAR12 wrote:Would anyone who is going to be in Ithaca for the April 8th Admitted Students Weekend like to meet for a drink Thursday or Friday night to talk about schools and get to know each other (possible future classmates) better?

Depends. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Frankie Muniz and 10 being Nard Dog, how cool are you?

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:58 pm

PinkCow wrote:
PAR12 wrote:Would anyone who is going to be in Ithaca for the April 8th Admitted Students Weekend like to meet for a drink Thursday or Friday night to talk about schools and get to know each other (possible future classmates) better?

Depends. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Frankie Muniz and 10 being Nard Dog, how cool are you?

I don't think I even want to be put on that scale....

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 pm

PAR12 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

That makes you a 12. I might be down.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 am

I hope Cornell comes correct. Does anyone know if Cornell offeres full rides at all????

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
PAR12 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

That makes you a 12. I might be down.

I guess ill take that....Where you coming from Penguin

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm

PAR12 wrote:

Texas. Flying to Phoenix, followed by a red-eye flight to New Jersey, followed by an early morning flight to Ithaca. I guess I should get used to this painful, painful, 24 hour flight.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:26 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
PAR12 wrote:

Texas. Flying to Phoenix, followed by a red-eye flight to New Jersey, followed by an early morning flight to Ithaca. I guess I should get used to this painful, painful, 24 hour flight.

WOW that is terrible....I saw that your still waiting to hear from USC as well....Are you still considering USC?

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:12 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
PAR12 wrote:

Also flying from Texas... this is looking like a ridiculous flight on my end as well ):

I'd be down to meet for drinks Thurs/Fri night.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I'd be down to meet for drinks Thurs/Fri night.[/quote]

By chance does anyone know a good bar in town?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:53 pm

PAR12 wrote:I'd be down to meet for drinks Thurs/Fri night.

By chance does anyone know a good bar in town?

In collegetown, Rulloffs and Chapter House have a nice dingy bar feel with Rulloffs having more undergrads. Level B is a "dance club" but it's pretty sad. The Royal Palm is empty till 12 at which point it fills up. Other than those, there is a bar called Pixel that I don't personally like and there are more bars down in the commons that I don't know much about.

Also Dunbars has $3 long islands on thursdays but it's usually packed with undergrads.
Last edited by mths on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:55 pm

PAR12 wrote:

WOW that is terrible....I saw that your still waiting to hear from USC as well....Are you still considering USC?

Eh, not really. But I'm notorious for getting trigger happy when I get an acceptance. I still need to see how much Cornell is offering (if anything) before I can make a rational decision...or at least as rational as going to law school can be.

japes wrote:
Also flying from Texas... this is looking like a ridiculous flight on my end as well ):

I'd be down to meet for drinks Thurs/Fri night.

It has just occurred to me that this will be the furthest north I have ever traveled. I may need to drink just to keep warm.

gweng

Postby gweng » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 am

It has just occurred to me that this will be the furthest north I have ever traveled. I may need to drink just to keep warm.[/quote]

That. I am not going to like the Ithaca winter. Can't be there for the bar pre-views tho. Have fun guys.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”