Cornell Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby japes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

Well, shoulder length.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am

Are any of y'all trying to live in Hughes next year? I think it looks very convenient and (if you're willing to suffer a small room) pretty affordable, but I'm always wary of university housing. However, apartment hunting from across the country with no roommates is no cakewalk either. :|

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:09 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Are any of y'all trying to live in Hughes next year? I think it looks very convenient and (if you're willing to suffer a small room) pretty affordable, but I'm always wary of university housing. However, apartment hunting from across the country with no roommates is no cakewalk either. :|



Hughes was my preference before I actually saw the place...then a part of me died and I was never the same. In all seriousness, I think you should consider living with a roommate in collegetown/lower collegetown if you want the convenience. You'll probably get a better place at a slightly higher cost, but I would imagine it would be worth it.

User avatar
stylus_go
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby stylus_go » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:07 am

hey guys! I'm officially joining the thread, just sent the check yesterday!

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 am

Seat deposits due today.

Come on everyone, Ithaca can be fun as nuts.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Skyhook » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am

Sent in my seat deposit!

Also sent in a deposit on an apartment downtown, so looking for room-mates now!
Easy walk to Wegmans, The Commons, the buses, the farmer's market.

PM if interested.

User avatar
stylus_go
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby stylus_go » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:43 am

spacepenguin wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Are any of y'all trying to live in Hughes next year? I think it looks very convenient and (if you're willing to suffer a small room) pretty affordable, but I'm always wary of university housing. However, apartment hunting from across the country with no roommates is no cakewalk either. :|



Hughes was my preference before I actually saw the place...then a part of me died and I was never the same. In all seriousness, I think you should consider living with a roommate in collegetown/lower collegetown if you want the convenience. You'll probably get a better place at a slightly higher cost, but I would imagine it would be worth it.


spacepenguin, I am seriously considering the Hughes, but I haven't visited Ithaca yet. Could you please elaborate upon your thoughts about that place? (Which part made a part of you die?)

elm84dr
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby elm84dr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 am

Hope all turns out well for everyone in Ithaca...Loved the school, great place, but I got to go where the money is for me, BU. Good luck!

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 am

stylus_go wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Are any of y'all trying to live in Hughes next year? I think it looks very convenient and (if you're willing to suffer a small room) pretty affordable, but I'm always wary of university housing. However, apartment hunting from across the country with no roommates is no cakewalk either. :|



Hughes was my preference before I actually saw the place...then a part of me died and I was never the same. In all seriousness, I think you should consider living with a roommate in collegetown/lower collegetown if you want the convenience. You'll probably get a better place at a slightly higher cost, but I would imagine it would be worth it.


spacepenguin, I am seriously considering the Hughes, but I haven't visited Ithaca yet. Could you please elaborate upon your thoughts about that place? (Which part made a part of you die?)



There seems to have been 0 renovation in the last 30 years. The halls are tiny, paint peeling, intolerable heat (surprisingly), rooms are like your typical dorm (which would be ok, if I hadn't lived in a dorm before), very old furniture, shared showers, and weird lighting.

To be fair though; the kitchen is decent enough to accommodate 40 people, the lounge area seems nice, the students have this close-knit bond, it's attached to the law school, and you literally won't have to step outside once if you don't want to.

All in all, I'm still considering living in Hughes myself (for the convenience), but it really depends on your comfort level. If you've lived in an apartment, I would imagine going back to a dorm might bring somewhat of a shock to you; if you've lived in a dorm and loved it, well, Hughes is perfect in that regard.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:59 am

Secured a 1BR in Collegetown. On the pricier side but wanted the convenience this year.

:)

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Skyhook » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Did anyone receive confirmation that their first seat deposit arrived?
I tracked mine on USPS and it arrived on Wednesday, but no word so far, and no update in the status checker!

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby PinkCow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:44 pm

I got a confirmation e-mail, but it was a couple days after it got there, and I sent it earlier. I'm sure they've got a lot of them they're trying to process right now.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Skyhook » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:58 pm

PinkCow wrote:I got a confirmation e-mail, but it was a couple days after it got there, and I sent it earlier. I'm sure they've got a lot of them they're trying to process right now.


Yeah, I thought there would be a last minute rush.
Just want to make sure they know I've sent it!

User avatar
stylus_go
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby stylus_go » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Skyhook wrote:Did anyone receive confirmation that their first seat deposit arrived?
I tracked mine on USPS and it arrived on Wednesday, but no word so far, and no update in the status checker!


+1 I asked for confirmation, and they said that I should wait until the state checker updates.

User avatar
stylus_go
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby stylus_go » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:23 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
stylus_go wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Are any of y'all trying to live in Hughes next year? I think it looks very convenient and (if you're willing to suffer a small room) pretty affordable, but I'm always wary of university housing. However, apartment hunting from across the country with no roommates is no cakewalk either. :|



Hughes was my preference before I actually saw the place...then a part of me died and I was never the same. In all seriousness, I think you should consider living with a roommate in collegetown/lower collegetown if you want the convenience. You'll probably get a better place at a slightly higher cost, but I would imagine it would be worth it.


spacepenguin, I am seriously considering the Hughes, but I haven't visited Ithaca yet. Could you please elaborate upon your thoughts about that place? (Which part made a part of you die?)



There seems to have been 0 renovation in the last 30 years. The halls are tiny, paint peeling, intolerable heat (surprisingly), rooms are like your typical dorm (which would be ok, if I hadn't lived in a dorm before), very old furniture, shared showers, and weird lighting.

To be fair though; the kitchen is decent enough to accommodate 40 people, the lounge area seems nice, the students have this close-knit bond, it's attached to the law school, and you literally won't have to step outside once if you don't want to.

All in all, I'm still considering living in Hughes myself (for the convenience), but it really depends on your comfort level. If you've lived in an apartment, I would imagine going back to a dorm might bring somewhat of a shock to you; if you've lived in a dorm and loved it, well, Hughes is perfect in that regard.


Thanks for the info. Lack of renovation for the last 30 years sounds bad. While I have to see it by myself, maybe I should also look for apartments outside the campus... When would be the right time for searching for housing? Some of you appear to have already found their places! I thought I should wait until June or so to find houses definitely available for lease.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:32 am

Yeah, I've pretty much decided against living in Hughes. I live in university-owned off-campus apartments now, and it has a lot of the same problems described ITT, which I'd like to avoid.

also, Cornell's new mascot, the Cornellicopter:
Image

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:41 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah, I've pretty much decided against living in Hughes. I live in university-owned off-campus apartments now, and it has a lot of the same problems described ITT, which I'd like to avoid.

also, Cornell's new mascot, the Cornellicopter:
Image


New avatar pleasethankyou.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:42 am

Also for those looking for housing: http://www.padmapper.com Was great.

orderofthings
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby orderofthings » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Sent in my seat deposit a few days ago.

Excited to meet everyone in the fall!

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby mths » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:39 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
stylus_go wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Are any of y'all trying to live in Hughes next year? I think it looks very convenient and (if you're willing to suffer a small room) pretty affordable, but I'm always wary of university housing. However, apartment hunting from across the country with no roommates is no cakewalk either. :|



Hughes was my preference before I actually saw the place...then a part of me died and I was never the same. In all seriousness, I think you should consider living with a roommate in collegetown/lower collegetown if you want the convenience. You'll probably get a better place at a slightly higher cost, but I would imagine it would be worth it.


spacepenguin, I am seriously considering the Hughes, but I haven't visited Ithaca yet. Could you please elaborate upon your thoughts about that place? (Which part made a part of you die?)



There seems to have been 0 renovation in the last 30 years. The halls are tiny, paint peeling, intolerable heat (surprisingly), rooms are like your typical dorm (which would be ok, if I hadn't lived in a dorm before), very old furniture, shared showers, and weird lighting.

To be fair though; the kitchen is decent enough to accommodate 40 people, the lounge area seems nice, the students have this close-knit bond, it's attached to the law school, and you literally won't have to step outside once if you don't want to.

All in all, I'm still considering living in Hughes myself (for the convenience), but it really depends on your comfort level. If you've lived in an apartment, I would imagine going back to a dorm might bring somewhat of a shock to you; if you've lived in a dorm and loved it, well, Hughes is perfect in that regard.

It's really not so bad.

Although I agree that at the moment the heat is intolerable but you REALLY appreciate it when it's 10 Fahrenheit for 4 months outside. They should be turning it off soon.

but yeah, you get used to it pretty quick and nothing beats rolling out of bed 5 minutes before class and making it

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am

Everyone who's definitely attending should post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921 So we can get a list of who from here is coming.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:38 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone who's definitely attending should post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921 So we can get a list of who from here is coming.



You're just tired of being by yourself, admit it.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone who's definitely attending should post in this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=125921 So we can get a list of who from here is coming.


Done. We have quite the collection of awesome going...

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:03 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone who's definitely attending should post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921 So we can get a list of who from here is coming.



You're just tired of being by yourself, admit it.

Well, I don't want Cornell to look lame. I want people to know that we're the cool Ivy. 8)

User avatar
stylus_go
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby stylus_go » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone who's definitely attending should post in this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=125921 So we can get a list of who from here is coming.



You're just tired of being by yourself, admit it.

Well, I don't want Cornell to look lame. I want people to know that we're the cool Ivy. 8)


:)




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests