Cornell Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Ikki

Re: Cornell Class of 2014

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 am

spacepenguin wrote:
Ikki wrote:I was actually torn between BU and Cornell for a while (BU is offering me 105k), do you guys think giving up about 90% tuition at BU is worth the T14 label?

I'm attending the April 8th date, have you guys contacted one of the diversity orgs on campus? I heard you can stay with them if you ask.

I have the exact same decision to make and it's all contingent on how much Cornell offers...I really don't know if paying sticker there is the safest bet (I am pretty debt averse though).

I've heard the same in regards to staying with members of these diversity orgs and apparently more info will we released in the following weeks. So hold on tight and see you on the 8th!
Last edited by Ikki on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:01 am

How is everyone choosing between BU and Cornell???? Anyone going on Friday to BU's admit day?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:25 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
Ikki wrote:I was actually torn between BU and Cornell for a while (BU is offering me 105k), do you guys think giving up about 90% tuition at BU is worth the T14 label?

I'm attending the April 8th date, have you guys contacted one of the diversity orgs on campus? I heard you can stay with them if you ask.

I have the exact same decision to make and it's all contingent on how much Cornell offers...I really don't know if paying sticker there is the safest bet (I am pretty debt averse though).

I've heard the same in regards to staying with members of these diversity orgs and apparently more info will we released in the following weeks. So hold on tight and see you on the 8th!

I haven't booked my hotel yet, but I don't think I've been contacted by any of the diversity orgs there yet. It would be really nice to save on hotel, but now I don't know if it's too late since I'm going to the March 11 one. I think I'm going to call their office today and try to get everything straightened out.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

law_monkey wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

I haven't booked my hotel yet, but I don't think I've been contacted by any of the diversity orgs there yet. It would be really nice to save on hotel, but now I don't know if it's too late since I'm going to the March 11 one. I think I'm going to call their office today and try to get everything straightened out.

You could also contact one of the diversity orgs and see if they can host you.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Ok, 'bout ready to get some financials from Ithaca... impatience, building.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 pm

mr_toad wrote:Ok, 'bout ready to get some financials from Ithaca... impatience, building.

I don't think they're going to give out the rest of the aid info until after the announce the Dean's scholly winners. Last year they did that on March 8, so hopefully it's coming soon!

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm

@LawMonkey. Good call. But still impatient... lost my zen briefly yesterday, looking for it.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 pm

mr_toad wrote:@LawMonkey. Good call. But still impatient... lost my zen briefly yesterday, looking for it.

Haha no worries. I lost my patience with this whole process...never mind, I've never been patient in my life.

TR Fan

Postby TR Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:18 pm

My SO and I will likely be at ASW on April 8th. We're on the fence between Cornell and GULC (part-time), so looking forward to visiting the school and Ithaca. Hope to see you there!

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:22 pm

law_monkey wrote:Hey everyone! I'm going to the March 11 ASW. Anyone else? Also - props for starting this thread! I don't think very many admits are posting in the waiting thread anymore.

I will be attending the march 11th one as well.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:11 pm

I can't make any of the ASW, but I'm visiting on the 18th. I, too, am losing my Zen waiting for financials from Cornell and Georgetown. None, and my mind is made up.

I like thinking they'll come out next week, but who knows.

Think its too early to pre-emptively negotiate? Just matching UCLA/Fordham's $20k might be enough for me to pull the trigger...

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Got a letter saying I got a Dean's scholarship today via snail mail!!! So the rest of the financial aid info should be coming soon for everyone still waiting!

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:25 pm

law_monkey wrote:Got a letter saying I got a Dean's scholarship today via snail mail!!! So the rest of the financial aid info should be coming soon for everyone still waiting!

:shock:

No, not that big of a shock. Congrats!

mbw

Postby mbw » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:35 pm

law_monkey wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

NALSA leaders just our names on Friday, and I suspect the same for the other ALSAs -- so you'll probably be hearing in the next few days (I'm calling mine tomorrow night.) Generally, members of the organizations put people up, if they can (I suspect I won't have any takers for my couch, what with my four school-aged kids running around and all.) Otherwise, IIRC, admissions arranges some other form of accommodation (they also tend to do that for people coming with families.)

Hope to see some of you there -- we have a decent number of NDN admittees this year, and I'm hoping some come out for the weekend.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:30 am

Didn't get the $45k scholly but did get $35k a year instead of dean's scholly after writing the essay!

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:08 pm

I will be going to the April 8th diversity weekend as well.

I am really interested in Cornell but I have lived in LA and SD my entire life, so it would be a huge change for me. How does Cornell place in CA and CO?

Anybody else from the west coast on here?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:10 pm

PAR12 wrote:I will be going to the April 8th diversity weekend as well.

I am really interested in Cornell but I have lived in LA and SD my entire life, so it would be a huge change for me. How does Cornell place in CA and CO?

Yeah I go to school in LA. But I'm not planning on coming back to Cali after law school, so that makes my decision making a little different.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:13 pm

law_monkey wrote:
PAR12 wrote:I will be going to the April 8th diversity weekend as well.

Yeah I go to school in LA. But I'm not planning on coming back to Cali after law school, so that makes my decision making a little different.

Are you considering Cornell over NYU?

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Also, what is everyone thinking for housing?

Everything I have read about Hughes is not the best and would not be excited about living in a dorm again. I haven't read anything good about the other options offered through the school as well.

However, I would like to live somewhat close to Campus and with other Law students. Does anyone have any ideas?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm

PAR12 wrote:Also, what is everyone thinking for housing?

Everything I have read about Hughes is not the best and would not be excited about living in a dorm again. I haven't read anything good about the other options offered through the school as well.

However, I would like to live somewhat close to Campus and with other Law students. Does anyone have any ideas?

I live in Hughes this year and it really isn't all bad. Just the fact that I can roll out of bed 5 minutes before contracts and still make it despite the (inevitable) snowstorm makes it worthwhile. However, there are lots of housing options nearby that are full of law students because of the Law School's proximity to collegetown. If you're going to be finding housing blind I'd recommend one of the apartment buildings that are about a 2 minute walk from the law school (Collegetown Center, Collegetown Plaza, Eddy Gate ect...). These are quite pricey and the rooms are small but you're not going to end up with a terrible landlord or a run down room. If you have time to come and visit there are a lot of other options (most houses around the law school and collegetown are divided into rooms that you can rent).

There are no other options offered through the school as far as I can tell but I will reiterate that you shouldn't worry about not being close to other law students. Trust me, you will be seeing enough of them and it'll actually be pretty hard to find a living spot nearby that isn't at least on the same block as other law students.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 pm

mths wrote:

I live in Hughes this year and it really isn't all bad. Just the fact that I can roll out of bed 5 minutes before contracts and still make it despite the (inevitable) snowstorm makes it worthwhile. However, there are lots of housing options nearby that are full of law students because of the Law School's proximity to collegetown. If you're going to be finding housing blind I'd recommend one of the apartment buildings that are about a 2 minute walk from the law school (Collegetown Center, Collegetown Plaza, Eddy Gate ect...). These are quite pricey and the rooms are small but you're not going to end up with a terrible landlord or a run down room. If you have time to come and visit there are a lot of other options (most houses around the law school and collegetown are divided into rooms that you can rent).

There are no other options offered through the school as far as I can tell but I will reiterate that you shouldn't worry about not being close to other law students. Trust me, you will be seeing enough of them and it'll actually be pretty hard to find a living spot nearby that isn't at least on the same block as other law students.

Thank you for the insight and I will check out the other buildings. I was considering Hughes but then I saw that they kick you out during breaks... For the most part I will be leaving for break but I would like the option...

mths

Postby mths » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:23 pm

PAR12 wrote:
mths wrote:

Thank you for the insight and I will check out the other buildings. I was considering Hughes but then I saw that they kick you out during breaks... For the most part I will be leaving for break but I would like the option...

They only kick you out for winter break.

japes

Postby japes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:23 pm

mths wrote:I live in Hughes this year and it really isn't all bad. Just the fact that I can roll out of bed 5 minutes before contracts and still make it despite the (inevitable) snowstorm makes it worthwhile.

What are the rooms in Hughes like? Do you get a kitchen etc. or is it more like a dorm room? Are rooms shared?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 pm

japes wrote:
mths wrote:I live in Hughes this year and it really isn't all bad. Just the fact that I can roll out of bed 5 minutes before contracts and still make it despite the (inevitable) snowstorm makes it worthwhile.

What are the rooms in Hughes like? Do you get a kitchen etc. or is it more like a dorm room? Are rooms shared?

Rooms are not shared. I live in a "suite" which is basically a hallway leading to 4 doors and one shared bathroom. I was pretty worried about that at first but it's really not a big deal and you kinda forget that the bathroom is shared after a little while. It's also kind nice cause you always have people around to shoot the shit with and (in my case) wake you up in the morning. There is only one kitchen in hughes and it's on the second floor. Again, this is not a huge problem for me and I know people that cook a lot and still don't find it an issue. There is a huge common room on the first floor with a big TV and people hang out there lots as well. The room itself is just like any other dorm room (it comes in different sizes) and comes with a bed, desk, bookshelf, drawer cabinet, and closet.

Again, not horrible but I think I don't mind it cause I'm coming straight from undergrad. I know a lot of people who have lived alone for a while were not stoked about moving back into a dorm.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

mths wrote:
japes wrote:

Rooms are not shared. I live in a "suite" which is basically a hallway leading to 4 doors and one shared bathroom. I was pretty worried about that at first but it's really not a big deal and you kinda forget that the bathroom is shared after a little while. It's also kind nice cause you always have people around to shoot the shit with and (in my case) wake you up in the morning. There is only one kitchen in hughes and it's on the second floor. Again, this is not a huge problem for me and I know people that cook a lot and still don't find it an issue. There is a huge common room on the first floor with a big TV and people hang out there lots as well. The room itself is just like any other dorm room (it comes in different sizes) and comes with a bed, desk, bookshelf, drawer cabinet, and closet.

Again, not horrible but I think I don't mind it cause I'm coming straight from undergrad. I know a lot of people who have lived alone for a while were not stoked about moving back into a dorm.

How is the dining hall's food? Also, is there/how is/where is a gym on campus?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”