SMU 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby swilson215 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:09 pm

kalvano wrote:It took this long? Wow.


I know.

Does Stan Eddy even WORK in his office? His voicemail is full (or turned off), he hasn't returned any of my emails, and no one in Enrollment Services has seen him or is able to get ahold of him.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Just refuse to be shuffled off to Stan Eddy. I refuse to let them transfer me or otherwise direct me to him. I also have no problem saying exactly why. Make the person on the phone help.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby ebo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Not sure if I'm just being a moron, but it won't show any financial aid loan options for 2012-13 on my Access. There's a link for "Loan Counseling" which just goes to a blank URL. Not sure if this is a Stan Eddy problem, or operator trouble. Thanks.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:21 pm

I hear LR orientation was fun today.

User avatar
alphasteve
Posts: 16279
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby alphasteve » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:56 pm

kalvano wrote:I hear LR orientation was fun today.

:lol:

Law review orients you.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:08 pm

alphasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:I hear LR orientation was fun today.

:lol:

Law review Career Services orients you.

User avatar
alphasteve
Posts: 16279
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby alphasteve » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
alphasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:I hear LR orientation was fun today.

:lol:

Law review Career Services orients you.

True.. but you don't volunteer for that.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:27 pm

You did today. Almost an hour of it, I hear.

User avatar
alphasteve
Posts: 16279
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby alphasteve » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:35 pm

kalvano wrote:You did today. Almost an hour of it, I hear.

OHHHH... yeah.. I guess I had career services last year, too. But for an hour? Damn.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby swilson215 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:16 am

alphasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:You did today. Almost an hour of it, I hear.

OHHHH... yeah.. I guess I had career services last year, too. But for an hour? Damn.


Yep. They pulled a fast one and turned it into a plug for judicial clerkships.

Neve
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby Neve » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:16 pm

swilson215 wrote:
kalvano wrote:It took this long? Wow.


I know.

Does Stan Eddy even WORK in his office? His voicemail is full (or turned off), he hasn't returned any of my emails, and no one in Enrollment Services has seen him or is able to get ahold of him.


Stan Eddy is usually in his office in the afternoons (in Carr Collins, in the back of Career Services by the Public Service Office). Stan does have "open office hours" to meet with law students about financial aid. If you are having serious issues, I would see him in person because he is slow to respond sometimes.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Stan Eddy is a mythical creature designed to lure law students into a trap of endless frustration.

User avatar
bringyourlunch
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby bringyourlunch » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
frognot wrote:
kalvano wrote:Something I meant to post a while ago for you guys and forgot.

In case you don't know, SMU has a student-run outline bank.

Go to Google. Log in as "smulawdepot" with the password "dedmanlaw". Go to Google Docs. Profit??


The password has been changed. :cry:


It's probably a good thing I have most everything from there in a ZIP file then, isn't it?



Can you send this zip file? I scanned through the post and didn't see a google doc that you posted. I did see the link to read only documents created by an SMU student run outline bank....is that what you were referring to?

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Let's play the fun game called, "Which SMU Law financial aid guy isn't in his office?" You'll never guess who it is.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby swilson215 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Let's play the fun game called, "Which SMU Law financial aid guy isn't in his office?" You'll never guess who it is.


wait, wait! i know this one!!

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Let's play the fun game called, "Which SMU Law financial aid guy isn't in his office?" You'll never guess who it is.


wait, wait! i know this one!!


He's on vacation. I'll give that a minute to sink in and then say it again...vacation...two weeks into the semester...when, if people are going to have trouble, it is going to hit. It's like a CPA taking vacation on the first week of April.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Just call the FA office and refuse to get off the phone until someone helps you. Refuse to be transferred to Stan Eddy, refuse to be transferred to anyone. Be a dick.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm

kalvano wrote:Just call the FA office and refuse to get off the phone until someone helps you. Refuse to be transferred to Stan Eddy, refuse to be transferred to anyone. Be a dick.

Unfortunately, that seems like the BAT

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby swilson215 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Just call the FA office and refuse to get off the phone until someone helps you. Refuse to be transferred to Stan Eddy, refuse to be transferred to anyone. Be a dick.

Unfortunately, that seems like the BAT


I'm not proud, and normally I'm very nice in person, but to get help I ended up being a TOTAL douche to whoever answered, and basically told them they either needed to help me or I would call back every 5 or 10 minutes and make their life a living hell. They didn't believe me, so I called every 10 minutes for about half an hour until whoever was on the line got so frustrated that she (very grudgingly) helped me.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Just call the FA office and refuse to get off the phone until someone helps you. Refuse to be transferred to Stan Eddy, refuse to be transferred to anyone. Be a dick.

Unfortunately, that seems like the BAT


I'm not proud, and normally I'm very nice in person, but to get help I ended up being a TOTAL douche to whoever answered, and basically told them they either needed to help me or I would call back every 5 or 10 minutes and make their life a living hell. They didn't believe me, so I called every 10 minutes for about half an hour until whoever was on the line got so frustrated that she (very grudgingly) helped me.


Actually I did talk to a lady yesterday (I was fairly polite I think) and today, miraculously, I got an email that my refund has been disbursed.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby swilson215 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
Actually I did talk to a lady yesterday (I was fairly polite I think) and today, miraculously, I got an email that my refund has been disbursed.


Congrats. My tactic was after three weeks and a LOT of misinformation. I was driven to it.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 pm

I think they put a note in your file if you are a consistent pain in the ass. After a couple semesters of incredible bitching and being a pain, my stuff goes through immediately and with no issues.

annelise88
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby annelise88 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 pm

when are we supposed to take the MPRE? And why hasn't anyone told us anything about it??

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm

annelise88 wrote:when are we supposed to take the MPRE? And why hasn't anyone told us anything about it??



Slow your roll, you've got plenty of time. It's offered 3 or 4 times a year, and you can take it whenever you want. It's absurdly easy, even though you'll feel like you've failed it. BarBri has a free workbook and video and phone apps that you can do in the two days before the test and pass just fine.

annelise88
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:42 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby annelise88 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:23 am

kalvano wrote:
annelise88 wrote:when are we supposed to take the MPRE? And why hasn't anyone told us anything about it??



Slow your roll, you've got plenty of time. It's offered 3 or 4 times a year, and you can take it whenever you want. It's absurdly easy, even though you'll feel like you've failed it. BarBri has a free workbook and video and phone apps that you can do in the two days before the test and pass just fine.




Great! Thank you!

On another point, did anyone here participate in the SMU ring ceremony? It's wierd that the intvitation says that students with at least 60 credit hours are qualified. I'm obviously no where near 60 credit hours.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest