SMU 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
kalvano

Diamond

Re: SMU 2014

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:13 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Anyone know when we get our student id's? At orientation? Can we get them before? I wanna go check out the gym and I'm gonna be in the area.
When I spoke with the FinAid office they said that as long as we were registered for classes (which we are now) that there shouldn't be any problem getting them if we go to the Park N Pony office and request them in person. But really, I don't know if she knew exactly what she was talking about.

That should be accurate. You can also pick up parking stickers.

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 pm

swilson215 wrote:When I spoke with the FinAid office they said that as long as we were registered for classes (which we are now) that there shouldn't be any problem getting them if we go to the Park N Pony office and request them in person. But really, I don't know if she knew exactly what she was talking about.
You can pick up student IDs and parking passes at that Park N Pony office across 75 from campus.

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:44 pm

ebo wrote:
swilson215 wrote:When I spoke with the FinAid office they said that as long as we were registered for classes (which we are now) that there shouldn't be any problem getting them if we go to the Park N Pony office and request them in person. But really, I don't know if she knew exactly what she was talking about.
You can pick up student IDs and parking passes at that Park N Pony office across 75 from campus.
I swung by the Park N Pony office today and was told that I could not get my ID until the 9th.

abb586

New

Post by abb586 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm

sceva31st wrote:
ebo wrote:
I swung by the Park N Pony office today and was told that I could not get my ID until the 9th.
I don't understand why they wouldn't give you yours, but both my roommate (who is also an incoming 1L) and I got our student IDs on Monday. I also got my parking pass mailed to me and received it last week.

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:53 pm

abb586 wrote:
sceva31st wrote:
ebo wrote:
I don't understand why they wouldn't give you yours, but both my roommate (who is also an incoming 1L) and I got our student IDs on Monday. I also got my parking pass mailed to me and received it last week.
LOL The lady obviously thought I was so handsome that she wanted me to come back so she could see me again or she doesn't do work today that she can put off till tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abb586

New

Post by abb586 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I don't understand why they wouldn't give you yours, but both my roommate (who is also an incoming 1L) and I got our student IDs on Monday. I also got my parking pass mailed to me and received it last week.[/quote]
LOL The lady obviously thought I was so handsome that she wanted me to come back so she could see me again or she doesn't do work today that she can put off till tomorrow.[/quote]

Haha you may be handsome but your SMU ID sure won't turn out that way. I've never seen a worse student ID than the one I hold in my hands right now. My roommate's ID picture looks like she's been drinking red wine all day and mine makes me look like a ghost with a huge gap between my two front teeth, neither of which are true.

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm

abb586 wrote:I don't understand why they wouldn't give you yours, but both my roommate (who is also an incoming 1L) and I got our student IDs on Monday. I also got my parking pass mailed to me and received it last week.
LOL The lady obviously thought I was so handsome that she wanted me to come back so she could see me again or she doesn't do work today that she can put off till tomorrow.[/quote]

Haha you may be handsome but your SMU ID sure won't turn out that way. I've never seen a worse student ID than the one I hold in my hands right now. My roommate's ID picture looks like she's been drinking red wine all day and mine makes me look like a ghost with a huge gap between my two front teeth, neither of which are true.[/quote]
Maybe y'all should have invited me to go with you guys to get ID's. BUT since you didn't, now I know to wear lots of powder and drink a bunch of red wine.

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:48 pm

So I swung by the Park N Pony Office today because I received an email stating my parking permit was ready to pick up. I was also able to get my student ID as well. Based of the super picture taken of me, I am now officially the whitest person in America.

frognot

New

Post by frognot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:09 pm

I have not received an update on my PLUS loan since I accepted the loan three weeks ago. Should I be worried yet? I have heard many times that the Financial Aid Office is notoriously slow. Of course I have called and emailed them with no result. I just wanted to make sure that I haven't made a mistake somewhere, and that I'm not the only one without an update.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:20 pm

frognot wrote:I have not received an update on my PLUS loan since I accepted the loan three weeks ago. Should I be worried yet? I have heard many times that the Financial Aid Office is notoriously slow. Of course I have called and emailed them with no result. I just wanted to make sure that I haven't made a mistake somewhere, and that I'm not the only one without an update.

I would call and demand to know the status. Just tell them you want to make sure that everything is on track, they can tell you that easily. Be pleasant, but don't let them off the phone until they tell you.

TannerRobinson

New

Post by TannerRobinson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Anyone still needing a place to live? My roommate might not stick around and I'm living less than two miles from campus. Message me on fbook. facebook.com/robinsontanner

abb586

New

Post by abb586 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Any ideas about when we're going to get our TWEN passwords? It's not very useful for professors to post syllabi there when we don't have access to it...

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:38 am

Does anyone know what would constitute proof of our loans, and where we could find it online?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TannerRobinson

New

Book questions

Post by TannerRobinson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Is everyone getting the 2011 edition of Selections for Contracts? How much is it in the bookstore? The SMU law bookstore isn't online in any way is it?

The Q&A for Dorsaneo is in paperback form on Amazon but it's publisher is Lexus Nexus. Does that mean it will be available free to print on LN whenever we get access?

frognot

New

Post by frognot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
frognot wrote:I have not received an update on my PLUS loan since I accepted the loan three weeks ago. Should I be worried yet? I have heard many times that the Financial Aid Office is notoriously slow. Of course I have called and emailed them with no result. I just wanted to make sure that I haven't made a mistake somewhere, and that I'm not the only one without an update.

I would call and demand to know the status. Just tell them you want to make sure that everything is on track, they can tell you that easily. Be pleasant, but don't let them off the phone until they tell you.

I called and I was told that I have done everything that is required on my end and that the ball is in their court now. She told me not to worry because everything will be taken care of before tuition is due. I feel a bit relieved now, thanks for the advice.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:41 pm

I went in to the FinAid office to ask about the proof of loan that I was looking for, and the woman I spoke with told me that the loans would be disbursing tonight, and that you should see the credits on your student account later this evening, just FYI.

maqkitty214

New

Post by maqkitty214 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 am

Federal Sub/Unsub dispersed but not PLUS. I also called the other day and was told I was all set for the PLUS money. FinAid guy assured me all would be dispersed by end of this week "approximately." Waiting on books until then, I guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:26 am

maqkitty214 wrote:Federal Sub/Unsub dispersed but not PLUS. I also called the other day and was told I was all set for the PLUS money. FinAid guy assured me all would be dispersed by end of this week "approximately." Waiting on books until then, I guess.
If it is anything like last year, some people won't get money in their bank accounts until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:24 pm

betasteve wrote:
maqkitty214 wrote:Federal Sub/Unsub dispersed but not PLUS. I also called the other day and was told I was all set for the PLUS money. FinAid guy assured me all would be dispersed by end of this week "approximately." Waiting on books until then, I guess.
Also note, you can charge your books to your bursar once you have your student ID (assuming you are getting them at the bookstore).
Check Amazon before purchasing books at the SMU bookstore. I found that some of the more expensive coursebooks were 40-50 bucks less on Amazon, and even some of the smaller books were cheaper new even with delivery costs.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:37 pm

betasteve wrote:
Also note, you can charge your books to your bursar once you have your student ID (assuming you are getting them at the bookstore).

Yeah, but going through SMU would have cost me damn near $800 more than Amazon / Half.

maqkitty214

New

Post by maqkitty214 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 pm

kalvano wrote:Yeah, but going through SMU would have cost me damn near $800 more than Amazon / Half.
Yeah I figure once the $$ is dispersed, I can just do expedited shipping from Amazon/Half and that would still be cheaper than the bookstore. Bookstore is last resort. Do they keep the books on reserve at the library? I wouldn't mind making copies of necessary pages until the books arrive.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:06 pm

Does anyone know when we're getting our TWEN/Westlaw passwords? I think it was Thornburg who mentioned that we could access something on there for class before school starts

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:13 am

ebo wrote:Does anyone know when we're getting our TWEN/Westlaw passwords? I think it was Thornburg who mentioned that we could access something on there for class before school starts
Betasteve said we'd get them at orientation!

thearchduke

New

Post by thearchduke » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:11 pm

First of all, I'm a 2L and a mentor for incoming 1L day students. Hopefully, you're very relaxed and calm and you know everywhere to be and what to do over the next couple of days, but if not, feel free to ask any questions here in this thread or PM me. As someone already mentioned, Betasteve is right, you'll get your Westlaw passwords at orientation. Some of your professors might also individually lock their TWEN pages (I know Prof. Bellin does this for his Crim law class), so you'll have to get the password from that professor if necessary.

Now, as I said, I'm going to be a 2L and I never sold my books last semester. I also didn't highlight, underline, or otherwise mark my books, and I bought them virtually unused or new (it helps to get to the bookstore early). At most, their corners are a little worn and the person who had them before me highlighted a few pages in some of them. Occasionally, different professors use the same book, so even if your professor is different, you might see if their book is the same. PM me and we'll make a deal. I live in Dallas close to campus and I'll be one of the mentors at all of your orientation sessions, so we can arrange to meet then.

Miscellaneous

Black's Law Dictionary, 3rd Pocket Edition edited by Garner ISBN 978-0-314-15862-8 (free with any book)
Plain English for Lawyers, 5th Edition by Wydick ISBN 978-1-59460-151-4 (free with any book)

Criminal Law (Bellin)

Criminal Law, Cases and Materials, 6th Edition by Kaplan, Weisberg and Binder ISBN 978-0-7355-6835-8 ($60)
Texas Penal Code, West's Texas Statutes and Codes, 2010 Edition ISBN 978-0-314-98810-2 ($20)

Supplement: Examples and Explanations (E&E), Criminal Law, 4th Edition by Singer and La Fond ISBN 978-0-7355-6243-1 (free with Crim books)

Civil Procedure (Martinez)

Civil Procedure, Materials for a Basic Course, 10th Edition by Field, Kaplan and Clermont ISBN 978-1-59941-778-3 ($50)

Supplement: E&E, Civil Procedure, 5th Edition by Glannon ISBN 978-0-7355-5556-3 (free with Civ Pro Book)
Supplement: Emanuel Crunchtime (EC), Civil Procedure by Emanuel ISBN 978-0-7355-7228-7 (free with Civ Pro book)

Torts (Martin)

Tort Law, Responsibilities and Redress, Second Edition by Goldberg, Sebok and Zipursky ISBN 978-0-7355-6560-9 ($30)

Supplement: E&E, The Law of Torts, 3rd Edition by Glannon ISBN 978-0-7355-4024-8 (free with Torts book)

Contracts (Crespi)

Contracts, Cases and Materials, 7th Edition by Farnsworth, Young, Sanger, Cohen, and Brooks ISBN 978-1-59941-030-2 ($80)
Contracts, 4th Edition by Farnsworth ISBN 978-0-7-3554540-3 ($40)
Selections for Contracts by Farnsworth, Young, Sanger, Cohen and Brooks ISBN 978-1-5-9941529-1 (free with other two, might be newer version now)

Supplement: EC, Contracts by Emanuel ISBN 978-0-7355-8995-7 (free with Contracts books)

Legal Writing (Any Professor)

Legal Writing and Other Lawyering Skills, 5th Edition by Schultz and Sirico ISBN 978-0-7355-9402-9 ($50)
Basic Legal Research, 4th Edition by Sloan ISBN 978-0-7355-7672-8 ($50)
Persuasive Writing for Lawyers and the Legal Profession, 2nd Edition by Sirico and Schultz ISBN 978-0-8205-5326-9 (free with other two)

Property (Forrester)

She updated her book in the offseason, so this is an old edition. Also, her publisher apparently binds books with spit and prayer, so the covers are coming off of ALL of these books. Anyway, I'd bet very few of the cases change in the update (this edition is copyright 2010), and you could probably get away easily enough with the older edition. You can always buy the new one later if you change your mind.

Property Law: Cases, Materials and Questions, 2nd Edition by Chase and Forrester ISBN 978-0-8205-7094-5 ($10)

Supplement: Questions and Answers, Property by Nagle ISBN 978-0-8205-6226-1 ($5 or free with Property Book)
Supplement: EC, Property by Emanuel ISBN 978-0-7355-7892-0 ($5 or free with Property Book)

I hope there's still a few of you checking this thread, so PM away.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 pm

thearchduke wrote:Property (Forrester)

She updated her book in the offseason, so this is an old edition. Also, her publisher apparently binds books with spit and prayer, so the covers are coming off of ALL of these books. Anyway, I'd bet very few of the cases change in the update (this edition is copyright 2010), and you could probably get away easily enough with the older edition. You can always buy the new one later if you change your mind.

I bet the new one has even more mistakes!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”