SMU 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby chrisokc » Sun May 08, 2011 12:17 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:That's a good question. The only logical explanation that I've been given is that schools keep the books because it allows lawyers from the community who don't have access to Lexis and Westlaw to do research for free. My LRWA teacher said she prefers to "start with the books" and then go to the online databases. I don't understand that either, because even the secondary sources (Tex. Jur. and Am. Jur.) are online and have search functions. I cannot imagine why a student would ever use any of those books. Maybe Amish law students could utilize them...



Some firms don't have Westlaw / Lexis, and you have to use the library books.

Also, before Westlaw Next, Tex. Jur. and Am. Jur. were not so great on-line. They lacked the footnote cases that were so helpful.

I hope I don't end up working for a firm that sends me to the SMU law library to hit the ancient texts stored within. I can tell you that the folks I've seen using the books in the library appear to be past their prime--entering life's twilight years.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Sun May 08, 2011 12:32 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:That's a good question. The only logical explanation that I've been given is that schools keep the books because it allows lawyers from the community who don't have access to Lexis and Westlaw to do research for free. My LRWA teacher said she prefers to "start with the books" and then go to the online databases. I don't understand that either, because even the secondary sources (Tex. Jur. and Am. Jur.) are online and have search functions. I cannot imagine why a student would ever use any of those books. Maybe Amish law students could utilize them...



Some firms don't have Westlaw / Lexis, and you have to use the library books.

Also, before Westlaw Next, Tex. Jur. and Am. Jur. were not so great on-line. They lacked the footnote cases that were so helpful.

I hope I don't end up working for a firm that sends me to the SMU law library to hit the ancient texts stored within. I can tell you that the folks I've seen using the books in the library appear to be past their prime--entering life's twilight years.



I talked with the Westlaw lady, and she said they are trying to arrange pricing structures so that all firms can afford to use Westlaw.

It's not the actual use of Westlaw that racks up the bills, it's multiple licenses.

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby sceva31st » Sun May 08, 2011 4:15 pm

kalvano wrote:

I talked with the Westlaw lady, and she said they are trying to arrange pricing structures so that all firms can afford to use Westlaw.

It's not the actual use of Westlaw that racks up the bills, it's multiple licenses.


Apparently they add up pretty quick, if this information is accurate...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 209AArpV5r

User avatar
smithc2011
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby smithc2011 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:06 pm

just got back from a visit to dallas, looked at a few apartments in the village just to get an idea of how to use the information on their websites (never rented an apartment before; square footage meant nothing to me). the main thing I took away from the visit was that, at least for different complexes within the village, you'll get what you pay for. I'm a big fan of having a nice atmosphere, a nice looking complex, secure feeling, etc., and the more you pay for similar floor plans, the more of this you'll come away with.
This is probably common knowledge for some of you, or should have been for me, given the same company owns/operates all the different complexes, but if any of you are hoping to find a steal somewhere in the village, guess again. I really liked the lakes and the cliffs personally.

User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby sneijder » Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm

smithc2011 wrote:just got back from a visit to dallas, looked at a few apartments in the village just to get an idea of how to use the information on their websites (never rented an apartment before; square footage meant nothing to me). the main thing I took away from the visit was that, at least for different complexes within the village, you'll get what you pay for. I'm a big fan of having a nice atmosphere, a nice looking complex, secure feeling, etc., and the more you pay for similar floor plans, the more of this you'll come away with.
This is probably common knowledge for some of you, or should have been for me, given the same company owns/operates all the different complexes, but if any of you are hoping to find a steal somewhere in the village, guess again. I really liked the lakes and the cliffs personally.



did you happen to look at "Dakota?"

User avatar
smithc2011
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby smithc2011 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:55 pm

sneijder wrote:
smithc2011 wrote:just got back from a visit to dallas, looked at a few apartments in the village just to get an idea of how to use the information on their websites (never rented an apartment before; square footage meant nothing to me). the main thing I took away from the visit was that, at least for different complexes within the village, you'll get what you pay for. I'm a big fan of having a nice atmosphere, a nice looking complex, secure feeling, etc., and the more you pay for similar floor plans, the more of this you'll come away with.
This is probably common knowledge for some of you, or should have been for me, given the same company owns/operates all the different complexes, but if any of you are hoping to find a steal somewhere in the village, guess again. I really liked the lakes and the cliffs personally.



did you happen to look at "Dakota?"

I did not, it is more pricey than I am willing to pay. Have you seen their photo gallery (LinkRemoved) though? It looks awesome.

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed May 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Check out the apartments on Henderson, east of 75. It's an awesome area and cheaper than uptown. I recommend Eastwood or Easton. After you move in, walk to capital pub and grab a beer or walk to Hacienda and get the queso blanco.

User avatar
smithc2011
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby smithc2011 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:Check out the apartments on Henderson, east of 75. It's an awesome area and cheaper than uptown. I recommend Eastwood or Easton. After you move in, walk to capital pub and grab a beer or walk to Hacienda and get the queso blanco.

what's the price range there?

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby holdencaulfield » Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 pm

smithc2011 wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:Check out the apartments on Henderson, east of 75. It's an awesome area and cheaper than uptown. I recommend Eastwood or Easton. After you move in, walk to capital pub and grab a beer or walk to Hacienda and get the queso blanco.

what's the price range there?



I think Easton has some nice studios for $700-$800. 1 brms are $900-$1000. No idea how much 2 bedrooms are. I'd also recommend driving up McKinney between Fitzhugh and Katy Trail; there are a lot of smaller complexes that may be good deals.

User avatar
bass08
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby bass08 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Hey all. I'm a rising 2nd year evening student at SMU and am looking for a replacement roommate to rent a room in our 3BR apartment in the Village. This past year I lived with two other first year evening students and it worked out really well. We all connected through TLS last year. Anyway, one of our roommates is transferring out of state to where he is from due to personal reasons, so we are looking for a replacement to move in sometime in early/mid August.

We are both males in our mid to late twenties, both from out of state originally. We are both pretty laid back and easy to get along with.

We live in the Northbridge complex in a 3BR/2BA. We live on the second story, with a balcony that overlooks one of the pools.

The available room is good size, I think it's about 11 x 13 or something. All of the bedrooms are pretty much the same size. There is also a pretty big walk-in closet. You would share a bathroom with one other person.

The rent is $500, plus water, electricity, and cable/internet. Cable/internet is about 40 bucks per person and utilities run about the same, so your monthly total would probably be 580-600 or so.

If you are interested in this, please let me know. We'd probably prefer a male in his twenties and it'd be great if we could meet you if you live anywhere nearby or are planning to be in town to visit.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the complex or the apartment itself, or me and my roommate.

Thanks!!

PS--I have civ pro, torts, and contracts casebooks for sale and all of the e&e's for them. I also have legal writing books. Not sure what books you'll need, but if you have your book list and want to let me know what you need I can tell you if I have. Also feel free to ask me any questions about SMU or w/e.

User avatar
sneijder
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby sneijder » Sat May 14, 2011 2:23 am

smithc2011 wrote:
sneijder wrote:
smithc2011 wrote:just got back from a visit to dallas, looked at a few apartments in the village just to get an idea of how to use the information on their websites (never rented an apartment before; square footage meant nothing to me). the main thing I took away from the visit was that, at least for different complexes within the village, you'll get what you pay for. I'm a big fan of having a nice atmosphere, a nice looking complex, secure feeling, etc., and the more you pay for similar floor plans, the more of this you'll come away with.
This is probably common knowledge for some of you, or should have been for me, given the same company owns/operates all the different complexes, but if any of you are hoping to find a steal somewhere in the village, guess again. I really liked the lakes and the cliffs personally.



did you happen to look at "Dakota?"

I did not, it is more pricey than I am willing to pay. Have you seen their photo gallery (LinkRemoved) though? It looks awesome.


yea man its very nice!

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby HBK » Sat May 14, 2011 2:54 am

Shit, if you're going to rent a one bedroom apartment for $1000, look around the M-streets. You can find decent 2/1 houses, and some duplexes for around $1200, which would cut your cost nearly in half if you have a roommate. There's one house that's right by Barcadia that, although it looks like a shithole, can be either a 2/1 or a 1/1 with no living room that's renting for $600. No yard though. You have to look for the deals though, a lot of the folks throw a sign on their lawn and its rented within a couple weeks and they don't have to screw with a realtor or craigslist. Also, realtor.com has a search function- although, as I said a lot of the landlords don't bother because they don't have to.

There's one lady who owns about 20 houses in the M streets. She's real sweet and is even willing to refer you to some of the other landlords if she doesn't have anything to fit what you need. Landlords love law students, especially if you have good credit. There's also an apartment community near Glencoe Park that is about 7 minutes from campus, and I think is fairly well priced.

/hth

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby bartleby » Tue May 17, 2011 2:24 pm

smithc2011 wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:Check out the apartments on Henderson, east of 75. It's an awesome area and cheaper than uptown. I recommend Eastwood or Easton. After you move in, walk to capital pub and grab a beer or walk to Hacienda and get the queso blanco.

what's the price range there?


what's the price range for the Lakes or the apartments you said were a little nicer? i can't find crap on these websites.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby swilson215 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 pm

bartleby wrote:
what's the price range for the Lakes or the apartments you said were a little nicer? i can't find crap on these websites.


--LinkRemoved--
Looks like the 1/1 runs between $780 - $1068 (depending on floorplan) and 2/2 is $1049 - $1319.

EDIT: The Dakota was the building that I thought was the nicest in the Village. The 1/1 will run you $1110 to $1570. Here's the link: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby sceva31st » Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 am

Is SMU doing the Test Drive program for graduates this year?

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby squ1rtle » Thu May 19, 2011 3:27 am

sceva31st wrote:Is SMU doing the Test Drive program for graduates this year?


Yes

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby sceva31st » Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 am

squ1rtle wrote:
sceva31st wrote:Is SMU doing the Test Drive program for graduates this year?


Yes


Do you know how many grads are participating in the program?

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby squ1rtle » Thu May 19, 2011 1:47 pm

sceva31st wrote:
squ1rtle wrote:
sceva31st wrote:Is SMU doing the Test Drive program for graduates this year?


Yes


Do you know how many grads are participating in the program?


I am uncertain of the exact number participating. Although I would assume anyone who was not already employed would likely participate. So that number would probably be over half the class. Just work your butt off, make sure you end up in the top 20% and you don't have to worry about the Test Drive program.

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby ebo » Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

squ1rtle wrote:
sceva31st wrote:
squ1rtle wrote:
sceva31st wrote:Is SMU doing the Test Drive program for graduates this year?


Yes


Do you know how many grads are participating in the program?


I am uncertain of the exact number participating. Although I would assume anyone who was not already employed would likely participate. So that number would probably be over half the class. Just work your butt off, make sure you end up in the top 20% and you don't have to worry about the Test Drive program.

So the 80% of folks who aren't in the top 20% are SOL?

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby squ1rtle » Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 pm

The 3Ls I spoke too last semester told me that only about 20% of the class had permanent jobs lined up. That conversation, however, took place in March so that number is likely higher now.

User avatar
sceva31st
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:54 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby sceva31st » Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 am

squ1rtle wrote:
I am uncertain of the exact number participating. Although I would assume anyone who was not already employed would likely participate. So that number would probably be over half the class. Just work your butt off, make sure you end up in the top 20% and you don't have to worry about the Test Drive program.


I'll definitely work my butt off, but regardless of where I finish in my class, part of my tuition is paying the wages of other SMU students. I'm not necessarily complaining, but I definitely hope it is a worthwhile endeavor.

User avatar
smithc2011
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby smithc2011 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:02 am

ebo wrote:So the 80% of folks who aren't in the top 20% are SOL?


Well, I found my mantra for the next year

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2014

Postby kalvano » Sun May 22, 2011 1:16 pm

squ1rtle wrote:The 3Ls I spoke too last semester told me that only about 20% of the class had permanent jobs lined up. That conversation, however, took place in March so that number is likely higher now.



The market is also better now.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:42 pm

smithc2011 wrote:
ebo wrote:So the 80% of folks who aren't in the top 20% are SOL?


Well, I found my mantra for the next year


Tshirts?

User avatar
smithc2011
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: SMU 2014

Postby smithc2011 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
smithc2011 wrote:
ebo wrote:So the 80% of folks who aren't in the top 20% are SOL?


Well, I found my mantra for the next year


Tshirts?

shhh. no don't tell anyone else. poor saps.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest