University of San Diego 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
thelibear

New

Re: University of San Diego 2014

Post by thelibear » Sat May 14, 2011 12:52 am

homerless wrote:Yup. Got mine yesterday. And here I was thinking it was some kind of award letter (sigh).
+1...I got so excited when I saw a letter from the financial aid office, but then it turned out they just wanted more of my money!

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Sun May 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Officially accepted and totally excited! :mrgreen:

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Sun May 15, 2011 10:00 pm

CmonSD wrote:Officially accepted and totally excited! :mrgreen:
Congrats!!

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Sun May 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Thank yoU!

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Dear USD: Please go easy on the letters in Financial Aid Office envelopes. While a "comprehensive and affordable Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan" is no doubt a good thing, you guys are killing me with the teasing.

Sincerely,

A Broke 0L (sigh)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 pm

homerless wrote:Dear USD: Please go easy on the letters in Financial Aid Office envelopes. While a "comprehensive and affordable Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan" is no doubt a good thing, you guys are killing me with the teasing.

Sincerely,

A Broke 0L (sigh)
hahaha agreed my dad was like "look, money!" and i was like "no, dad, they want me to give them money."

lawyered2014

New

Post by lawyered2014 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 pm

homerless wrote:Dear USD: Please go easy on the letters in Financial Aid Office envelopes. While a "comprehensive and affordable Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan" is no doubt a good thing, you guys are killing me with the teasing.

Sincerely,

A Broke 0L (sigh)
I got that today too - and it got my hopes all up.... :(

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Tue May 17, 2011 1:38 pm

They did say at the asd that they continue to reward money till the bitter end too...

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 pm

then let the emotional roller coasters continue...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kai7yee

New

Post by kai7yee » Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Does anyone know how to get a sample weekly class schedule for the regular vs flex sections? I'm really leaning towards the flex section, but I really want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 pm

I don't know, but you did read this post 1 page back, right:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AVOID FLEX at alllll costs. Yea it sounds amazing to not have early classes/friday classes, but it screws you in the end for a couple reasons.
1. There is only one good teacher who teaches classes to the flex students. Sure he is the best professor at the schoo, but totally not worth the shit teachers you get stuck with for the other classes

2. You end up beiong curved againt the part time students for half of your classes. I cannot stress how big of a deal this is. Had you told me this a year ago I really wouldnt have cared because its sorta hard to grasp how signifficant it is if you arent yet in law school. Sure some of the evening kids have families and full time jobs that keep them from having a ton of time, but you'll find that most of them are in your exact same position, except they're only taking half of the classes you are. This means that while you're busy studying for 4 finals theyre studying for 2. Since only 20% of the class is allowed to get A's, most of them go to those kids who are able to focus solely on those two classes. This means there's only a couple As available for the flex kids to get while the rest go to evening students. Since the evening students arent thrown in and ranked with the other kids, all the flex students end up with average GPAs lower that their full time counterparts in other sections. Essentially you jsut get screwed

3. All the classes that people actually desire to take their 2L year start early, so you may as well get yourself in the frame of mind to be up and moving in the morning. Addittionally, sometimes you have finals at 8:30 in the morning for classes that dont start till 2:30 in the afternoon (thanks civil procedure) so it sucks to have to be here that early when 5 days beforehand you had never even seen what the world looked like in the morning time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That combined with the email asking if we are interested leads me to believe it is 4 classes, 12-7:30pm M-Th.

I did sign up for it, but I doubt they will let me in since I am PT to begin with (supposed to only be available for FT). Also though as a 0L, I am a little concerned of what the effect of " **** teachers " would be on my educational success.

I think you are best off finding someone actually in the program in one of the other sub-forums and asking them.

Good luck!
Last edited by homerless on Wed May 18, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 am

I just want to add, perhaps in order to diffuse any mass hysteria, that another student recently messaged me after reading that post and said that he disagrees with that student. It's easier to quote him directly:

"...the slam on the flex section that you got from the 1L accurately states what some people in the flex program this year thought, but as someone who's at USD and knows all too well the details of that particular issue, it's another inaccurate urban legend. (1) There are "good" and "mediocre" teachers in all the sections, the flex is no different. The only true difference is that three of the flex classes are smaller than the ones given to other sections, which is a good thing. (2) The curve in the flex section is the same as all the others, and it works out that way too -- the part time students don't, in fact, get all the As. Another urban legend based on nothing, just like scholarship stacking. I couldn't be more certain about that."

The facts remain the same (i.e. you are curved against PT students as opposed to full time students, you do have different teachers), but this is a completely different perspective and I don't want to be responsible for anyone freaking out because they have to be in flex or they are PT and now worried about the quality of their education. I just want to make sure all sides of the story are being represented, so since this is new information to me, and the first e-mail did scare me (as it apparently did many of you as well) I thought I'd add it here.

kai7yee

New

Post by kai7yee » Wed May 18, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks for sharing information! The first email scared me too. I emailed a 3L (flex wasn't available to him when he first enrolled, so I guess it's a fairly new program) and he mentioned that there is only one morning class on Friday mornings anyway, in case I was leaning towards flex schedule for the sole reason of 3-day weekends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Wed May 18, 2011 3:22 pm

If SD is anything like LA, then I would go for Flex Program solely to avoid traffic and parking issues.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm

kai7yee wrote:Thanks for sharing information! The first email scared me too. I emailed a 3L (flex wasn't available to him when he first enrolled, so I guess it's a fairly new program) and he mentioned that there is only one morning class on Friday mornings anyway, in case I was leaning towards flex schedule for the sole reason of 3-day weekends.
thanks! this is great info-- i.e. if you needed to go away for a weekend, you could still get out of there by like 12 or whatever on friday probably...

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Fri May 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Just got my financial aid info. :shock: I knew it was expensive, but it looks so much worse in writing!!

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

CmonSD wrote:
  Post subject:  Re: University of San Diego 2014  
Just got my financial aid info. I knew it was expensive, but it looks so much worse in writing!
I feel you 1000%

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Sun May 22, 2011 3:30 pm

smittelman6 wrote:I just want to add, perhaps in order to diffuse any mass hysteria, that another student recently messaged me after reading that post and said that he disagrees with that student. It's easier to quote him directly:

"...the slam on the flex section that you got from the 1L accurately states what some people in the flex program this year thought, but as someone who's at USD and knows all too well the details of that particular issue, it's another inaccurate urban legend. (1) There are "good" and "mediocre" teachers in all the sections, the flex is no different. The only true difference is that three of the flex classes are smaller than the ones given to other sections, which is a good thing. (2) The curve in the flex section is the same as all the others, and it works out that way too -- the part time students don't, in fact, get all the As. Another urban legend based on nothing, just like scholarship stacking. I couldn't be more certain about that."

The facts remain the same (i.e. you are curved against PT students as opposed to full time students, you do have different teachers), but this is a completely different perspective and I don't want to be responsible for anyone freaking out because they have to be in flex or they are PT and now worried about the quality of their education. I just want to make sure all sides of the story are being represented, so since this is new information to me, and the first e-mail did scare me (as it apparently did many of you as well) I thought I'd add it here.
I am also a student at USD. The information you were given and quoted is accurate.

There is rampant misinformation that even current students give out. I have come to the belief that you should only trust those students who you personally know--in this light, you should read the rest of my post with a grain of salt. My thoughts on the most common issues with regards to USD:
1) There is no section stacking with regards to scholarships (USD gives out lots of scholarships so there are many in each section)
2) Each class is curved individually so there is a proportionate amount of A's in every class. The only "exception" is that 1L year there may be a large class where there are students taught by a teacher on the same subject. In this case, both classes may be graded/curved together.
3) There is no such thing as a "good" 1L professor (they are all teaching the same material, with a focus on giving you the law that will be tested on the bar); there are "bad" 1L professors, however.
4) There is no "right" way to study. I know students who have been successful that have drank 5 nights a week throughout the semester and others that did just as well who spend 5 nights a week in the library.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:03 am

Is anyone going to either of the east coast receptions? I'll be at the NYC one tomorrow :)

jtoppe2

New

Post by jtoppe2 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:39 pm

WOOOO! I'm in off the waitlist! I just booked a ticket for June 9th to fly out there from DC to check out apartments. I'm freaking pumped. Any suggested activities while I'm there?

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 pm

jtoppe2 wrote:WOOOO! I'm in off the waitlist! I just booked a ticket for June 9th to fly out there from DC to check out apartments. I'm freaking pumped. Any suggested activities while I'm there?
Congratulations!

Sea World is right there if you into that, as is the Gas Lamp district with a lot of bars, etc . If you're feeling adventurous Tijuana is about 30 minutes away too... though that's probably a bit dangerous right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Mon May 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey, anybody doing the 2-3pm career services chat, can you keep the rest of us posted on any interesting info? I will try to do the 5-6pm one and do the same.

Thanks in advance

NM, I got too tied up myself and did not view the chat after all

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Thu May 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I got this from admissions in case anyone else is curious!!

Part-time Sample Schedule

Monday

Class 1 - 5:30 – 7:20

Skills Class – 7:30 – 8:45

Tuesday

Class 2 - 5:30 – 7:20

Wednesday

Class 1 - 5:30 – 7:20

Skills Class – 7:30 – 8:45

Thursday

Class 2 - 5:30 – 7:20

Friday

No Classes

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm

WOW.

That's a lot different than what I was anticipating.

Is that for PT or for Flex?

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Thu May 26, 2011 7:57 pm

homerless wrote:WOW.

That's a lot different than what I was anticipating.

Is that for PT or for Flex?
Part-time evenings

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”