University of San Diego 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dtl

Bronze

Re: University of San Diego 2014

Post by dtl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Unless Irvine or Loyola decides to de-waitlist me San Diego here I come! Anyone else from the LA area (I am sure there are)?

Where are people looking for apartments out of curiosity? I am starting to research everything!

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Barring a very very surprising acceptance off the UCLA waitlist I am all in at USD.

Ive lived in PB for 3+ years and love it. I seriously think you are making a big mistake for not at least considering PB. As long as you live a few blocks north or south of the main drag (Grand and Garnet) you don't have to deal with the noise or partying. I live 3 blocks south of Grand and my street is mostly condos. 5 blocks to beach, 2 blocks to bay, 6 miles to school, and although I will be studying a lot, I definitely plan on going out every now and then and I'll always have that option within a 5 minute walk. PB definitely has its fair share of lame dudes and skanky girls, but you can also find your local bar/pub where it is all locals. Little Italy or North Park could also be fun, but dont let the exaggerations of PB scare you off without checking it out because you could be missing out.

Im obviously from the area and I'll answer any questions I can.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:37 am

dtl wrote:Unless Irvine or Loyola decides to de-waitlist me San Diego here I come! Anyone else from the LA area (I am sure there are)?

Where are people looking for apartments out of curiosity? I am starting to research everything!
from the 2Ls and 3Ls i've spoken to, it's a good idea to live closer to campus, at least for the first year. i'm mostly looking at Mission Valley and North Park, which also seem like the least expensive options. is anyone planning to live on the beach? i would love to, but i'm trying to weigh that against how much studying time i'll lose from sheer beach-bar-boardwalk procrastination... :)

also is anyone else from the east coast (particularly northeast)? in the admit packet they said there would be a NYC reception sometime in May, date TBD... i'm wondering if anyone has heard anything or knows anything more about that...

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:42 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
dtl wrote:Unless Irvine or Loyola decides to de-waitlist me San Diego here I come! Anyone else from the LA area (I am sure there are)?

from the 2Ls and 3Ls i've spoken to, it's a good idea to live closer to campus, at least for the first year. i'm mostly looking at Mission Valley and North Park, which also seem like the least expensive options. is anyone planning to live on the beach? i would love to, but i'm trying to weigh that against how much studying time i'll lose from sheer beach-bar-boardwalk procrastination... :)

also is anyone else from the east coast (particularly northeast)? in the admit packet they said there would be a NYC reception sometime in May, date TBD... i'm wondering if anyone has heard anything or knows anything more about that...
I'm sort of trying to decide between Ocean Beach and Mission Valley. I'm seeing affordable places near the beach and I figure being able to break near the beach would be worth it. I'd also like to bike to school so maybe Mission Valley would be better...

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Campus is pretty hilly. I doubt you would enjoy biking to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:30 pm

toster19 wrote:Campus is pretty hilly. I doubt you would enjoy biking to school.
looking at the quality of their parking system there's no way I am driving. worst case scenario the guy sitting next to me in class has to sit next to a sweaty mess.

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm

caligulove wrote:
toster19 wrote:Campus is pretty hilly. I doubt you would enjoy biking to school.
looking at the quality of their parking system there's no way I am driving. worst case scenario the guy sitting next to me in class has to sit next to a sweaty mess.
I doubt that biking from mission valley would work. You can always park off campus and walk 5 minutes to avoid the parking situation. There is also a parking lot that is much better on the west end of campus with a tram that goes to the law building if you don't feel like walking.

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:09 pm

good to know, thanks for the info.

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

submitting my deposit tomorrow! very excited :)

I'm also trying to figure out housing...I really want to live off-campus, in a single unit, and within walking distance to campus. Is this at all possible? I'd rather not have a roommate my first year...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 am

thelibear wrote:submitting my deposit tomorrow! very excited :)

I'm also trying to figure out housing...I really want to live off-campus, in a single unit, and within walking distance to campus. Is this at all possible? I'd rather not have a roommate my first year...
In my opinion, having a classmate as a roommate 1L year is a big advantage. You have someone always around to discuss material and can study together if you end up in the same section. This requires some "luck of the draw" to not have a terrible/slacker roommate, but having such a roommate was invaluable for me.

Plus, as terrible as it sounds, it is nice to see someone else "suffer" along with you so that you realize that you are not alone in your trepidation.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 am

RCRARollin wrote:

In my opinion, having a classmate as a roommate 1L year is a big advantage. You have someone always around to discuss material and can study together if you end up in the same section. This requires some "luck of the draw" to not have a terrible/slacker roommate, but having such a roommate was invaluable for me.

Plus, as terrible as it sounds, it is nice to see someone else "suffer" along with you so that you realize that you are not alone in your trepidation.
i'm curious at what point you think this becomes a problem? i.e. one 1L roommate good, two 1L roommates okay, three 1L roommates too much?

thelibear

New

Post by thelibear » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 pm

That is definitely a valid point. I've just had some bad experiences with roommates & apartment-mates (not a word, but whatever), so I'm hesitant to go into that situation again! I'm kind of a solitary person, but finances may necessitate having a roommate.

How did you find your roommate? Does USD have some kind of a list or something?

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:08 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
RCRARollin wrote:

i'm curious at what point you think this becomes a problem? i.e. one 1L roommate good, two 1L roommates okay, three 1L roommates too much?
It really all comes down to luck and risk mitigation. There are lots of different types of 1Ls, so you can get yourself in trouble if you are constantly around the "wrong ones." By "wrong ones" I mean those who think they "get it" and "know the answer." If you hear those words from a 1L, they are missing the point of law school and can bring you down. However, the odds of getting such a roommate is the same for the first or third roommate so I don't know how big of a problem that is.

I think two roommates would be better than one as you would get an extra perspective and hopefully everyone will balance out the other two so there is no one v. one roommate squabbling.

However, you can't know what type of person potential roommates will be so it is kind of a crap school. Further, the roommates themselves don't know how successful they are going to be at law school, so you won't know if they will be a help to you studying until well into the semester.

Although this is pure conjecture, those with English, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, etc. seem to struggle less in the beginning so maybe you can look for such in a roommate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:10 pm

thelibear wrote:That is definitely a valid point. I've just had some bad experiences with roommates & apartment-mates (not a word, but whatever), so I'm hesitant to go into that situation again! I'm kind of a solitary person, but finances may necessitate having a roommate.

How did you find your roommate? Does USD have some kind of a list or something?
USD sends out a list, also you can always try to find people on this message board who will be attending. I suggest trying to find roommates sooner than later (i.e. June and not July) as finding a place can take some time and you don't want to be the last person looking for roommates when all the "normal" people have already been taken.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Did anyone go to ASD this weekend? There haven't been that many posts on either board, I'm curious what everyone thought/did??

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:00 pm

anyone have thoughts on on-campus housing?

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm

going to ASD this Monday. Love that we have homework for it. I guess they're throwing us into the fire right away.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm

anyone from the east coast? i just got this when i asked admissions about the nyc reception:

May 24th from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Bobby Flay’s Bar Americain
152 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019-6004

apparently they're going to be sending this to everyone (or maybe just east coasters) soon... hope to see some of you there :)

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:55 pm

toster19 wrote:going to ASD this Monday. Love that we have homework for it. I guess they're throwing us into the fire right away.
Same. I had homework for another ASD also, so I wasn't surprised, but their work is much longer (compared to the other one I went to, which had, like, 1.5 pages). Guess this is the "welcome to law school" gesture.

Hopefully I see you on Monday!

aliasdancer

New

Post by aliasdancer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:59 pm

anyone going to the reception tonight?

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 pm

aliasdancer wrote:anyone going to the reception tonight?
Attending.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:04 pm

caligulove

New

Post by caligulove » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 pm

seat deposit sent in today. yay.

tomorrow

New

Post by tomorrow » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Hey Guys

I am currently a 1L at USD and would love to tell you all about my experience. Send me a PM with any questions that you may have and I will give you my unbiased answers!

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Heading to ASD tomorrow as well! I have been to two other ASDs (Although San Diego is my top acceptance atm) where everyone wore jeans and a shirt. Should I take it from their emphasis on "business casual" that I should upgrade to slacks and a nice shirt?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”