BU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dakatz

Gold

Re: BU Class of 2014

Post by dakatz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:05 am

Hey I was thinking about setting up a bar night in NYC this next weekend so that the incoming 1Ls in the area get a chance to meet one another. PM me with any interest and I will keel you posted

DevilDaze

New

Post by DevilDaze » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 pm

So we just found out our sections and professors today.

I have Pettit for Contracts, Harper for Civ Pro, Volk for LRW, and Fleming for Torts.

Have any current students had any of these profs? Any advice?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:25 pm

DevilDaze wrote:Fleming for Torts.
Jesus Christ, whose idea was this?

Also, Volk isn't anyones real writing instructor, he is the program coordinator. The class is generally 12-15 students, and it is taught by a practitioner with the assistance of one 2L writing fellow. I don't know if there is another name provided, ie:
"Volk / Shin" or if you have to wait to find out who your actual writing instructor is.

DevilDaze

New

Post by DevilDaze » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Cupidity wrote:Jesus Christ, whose idea was this?

That doesn't sound good :(

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 pm

I've got
Contracts-Pettit
Civil Procedure-Harper
Torts-Simons

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:36 pm

DevilDaze wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Jesus Christ, whose idea was this?

That doesn't sound good :(
We had him for ConLaw, although a review of his course evaluations shows that he has taught torts just as often in the past. I just can't imagine him teaching anything but ConLaw in his slow, semi-lecture style.

He likes to lecture, and uses a panel system for on call. Essentially, he will tell you two weeks in advance, "John, Jane, and Joey, you will be on call on Tuesday the 23rd for Cases A, B, C, and D. He hands out "analytical summaries" at the end of class, and generally uploads them all to blackboard at the end of the semester. The analytical summaries are insanely comprehensive, and I relied entirely on them, rather than my own notes or a supplement, for the final exam. Exam was open-ended issue spotter. Very smart, very likeable, verrrrry dry.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:40 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
Torts-Simons
Fun class, standard socratic-coldcall arangement, often lacks structure. His coldcalls can be frustrating, because he always wants a very specific answer, and it isn't always abundantly clear what that answer should be. Overall, he is a very likable guy, and the class was very fun. He has his own policy theories on several key items, like BPL, and he will expect you to know them. His exam is 2/3 Open-ended issue spotter, 1/3 multiple choice. He also gives summaries, which he calls "road-maps," I used the road-maps instead of my own notes, an outline, or supplement, and did well. A portion of the final exam will be a policy question, when it arrives, turn to the page in the supplement where he talks about it, and write his own theory straight back at him.

jmpd4851

New

Post by jmpd4851 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Any information on Harper and Petitt?

Seffer15

New

Post by Seffer15 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Where can we find course evaluations? I remember someone mentioning them in some other thread but can't remember where.

I have Kull for Contracts, Farnsworth for Civil Procedure, and Moore for Torts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:51 pm

jmpd4851 wrote:Any information on Harper and Petitt?
Petitt - you win, definitely one of the best BU profs. Not an easy class, but hes the singing professor and is super eager to help anyone with work/talking about job stuff.

lalu

New

Post by lalu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I've got
Contracts-Pettit
Civil Procedure-Harper
Torts-Simons

same here! are you C1?

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm

lalu wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:I've got
Contracts-Pettit
Civil Procedure-Harper
Torts-Simons

same here! are you C1?
Hells yeah!

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey Blindmelon, any thoughts on Miller for Contracts, Webber for Civil Procedure, or Baxter for Torts?
Blindmelon wrote:
Petitt - you win, definitely one of the best BU profs. Not an easy class, but hes the singing professor and is super eager to help anyone with work/talking about job stuff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Seffer15 wrote:Where can we find course evaluations? I remember someone mentioning them in some other thread but can't remember where.

Hello, fellow A1 :D

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Hey Blindmelon, any thoughts on Miller for Contracts, Webber for Civil Procedure, or Baxter for Torts?
Blindmelon wrote:
I haven't had any of them. Honestly, all of the 1L profs are good, no worries.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:18 am

cinephile wrote:
Seffer15 wrote:Where can we find course evaluations? I remember someone mentioning them in some other thread but can't remember where.

Farnsworth + Kull = Best Semester Ever

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 pm

DevilDaze wrote:So we just found out our sections and professors today.

I have Pettit for Contracts, Harper for Civ Pro, Volk for LRW, and Fleming for Torts.

Have any current students had any of these profs? Any advice?
Same...C2, huh?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Did you guys get your schedules for spring 2012 as well?

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:18 pm

kaiser wrote:Did you guys get your schedules for spring 2012 as well?
nope

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

I still have the Concepts & Insights supplement for Professor Webber's Civil Procedure class, as well as a copy of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. My Federal Rules book is in like new condition, and my Concepts & Insights is almost like new, aside from a few tiny markings. I'm happy to sell them to anyone interested, and i would charge even less than BU's used book price.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Cupidity wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Can I ask, would you recommend any specific supplements for these classes/professors?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:44 pm

cinephile wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Can I ask, would you recommend any specific supplements for these classes/professors?
Torts E&E for Moore. For Kull, there is a contracts hornbook by a guy named Farnsworth (not the BU law professor) that was relatively helpful. But Kull teaches contracts in a very distinct way (we called it Kulltracts) and it really doesn't lend itself to supplements or black letter outlines.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:50 pm

cinephile wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Farnsworth + Kull = Best Semester Ever
Glannon's multiple choice guide for civil procedure was amazingly useful for Farnsworth's class. Civil procedure is more standardized than a lot of the other 1L courses because there isn't a great deal of material to choose from. It's one of the few classes where relying heavily on supplements is advisable. Farnsworth's exam will be closed book, three hours long, and short answer, generally 6-10 questions, with strict word limits of 200-300 words per answer. Farnsworth doesn't publish any old tests, although there is one student-reproduced test in circulation that he will give you at the end of the semester. Since it is the only test available, I'd suggest saving it for the end of your review, rather than wasting it early on. Farnsworth has his own, cheap, coursepack that he has created, it is amazing, and I use it at my summer job, it is literally the best course-material I've ever worked with. It is full of short-answer questions he will ask you to analyze for class discussion, pay attention to these, as they are like his exam questions. Take solid notes when he reviews these short-answers, because you will really wish you had at the end of the semester. He cold-calls, and expects pretty detailed issue analysis on the spot, and loves hypotheticals.

Kull's class was a bit odd. I had him for property. Our exam was fucking strange. But hopefully someone on here had him for Contracts and can offer better insight.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks for the insight on Farnsworth.

ETA: just saw the above post - thanks for the info on Torts with Moore and Kulltracts! Why am I sad that I can't get supplements for contracts?
Last edited by cinephile on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Someone asked me about this spring semester, so I thought I'd post the answer here; Bridges, Kull, Fleming, Marks

Kull's class was amazing, he is a great professor, and strikes the perfect balance between quirky-excentric and old-school paper-chase teaching style. Important thing to know about his class, he will test you on FACTS. No other professor did this, generally if you know the law and the principles, you are solid, his exam actually asked questions like, "What happened in this case, what did each judge think about the issue." You actually need a comprehensive outline with class notes. He includes a lot of obscure stuff that often seems irrelevant, like township and range, mostly because it is interesting. While a lot of people ignored this in preparing for finals, and stuck to the real meat of the course, it showed up on the test. Just because you think the story from Herman Melville on whale hunting practices is off-topic, doesn't mean you shouldn't still brief it. He cold calls, it can be a bit intense. He gives a few handouts for complicated topics throughout the semester, use them well. Since he is a bit quirky, supplements weren't very useful. His exam was bizarre, short answer, with totally inadequate word limits, and a string of strange questions that resulted in a lot of confused looks shooting around the testing room.

Fleming was excellent, he focuses entirely on the 1st, 14th and 10th amendments, with a brief section on separation of powers. This slant makes hornbooks almost completely useless in my opinion. He provides analytic summaries, or handouts, summarizing each class at the end of the day. They are pure gold. Keep them, study them, I didn't even outline, I just bound the summaries together and studied them. His class is quite dry, he reads from a script, and cold calls people that he has given two weeks notice to, "Ok John, Jason, and Josh, you will be on call on Tuesday next week for these 4 cases." It takes away any incentive not to play games on your laptop. Exam is open ended issue spotter, and insanely comprehensive, literally everything will be on there if you can find time to type it.

As for Bridges, she is both brilliant, and a fox, a powerful combination. She is wicked smart, like, students will sometimes ask inane hypotheticals and she will come back with note-worthy one the spot analysis. She is brand new, so she doesn't have a test bank. She does, however, model her crim law exam off of Professor Simons, so using his tests to give you an idea should help. Her exam was closed book, although she gave us a copy of the MPC, and half multiple choice. Her exam was straight forward, but required a very in depth understanding of numerous issues. She cold calls, and it can be very intense, so make sure you actually read. She hates gunners. Don't gun in her class, it will get you no where.

I wrote stuff about Marks class, but it was probably too profane to post on here without someone telling him about it. It was my lowest grade by far, and accordingly, I am in no position to advise on his class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”