Iowa Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm

bbermud wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
bbermud wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Anyone know if there's a FB group?



There's not--I checked. If I wasn't so computer illiterate, I would make one. Who wants to create one???



I'm on it. Totally bored at work today.



Initiative. I like it! Btw, if you end up at Iowa, you can be in my future study group. Just putting that out there..



Definitely down for a study group! I'm going to have to try harder than I did in UG to stay top 1/3 and keep my scholarship :-)

Also created an event for an ASW beveraging session for Thursday night. Hope to see some of you in March!

User avatar
smiller1
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby smiller1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Also created an event for an ASW beveraging session for Thursday night


Ha, I'm going to start using the term "beveraging session." It sounds way classier than the drinking terminology I'd use.

But yeah, I'll be there.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby bbermud » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 pm

smiller1 wrote:
Also created an event for an ASW beveraging session for Thursday night


Ha, I'm going to start using the term "beveraging session." It sounds way classier than the drinking terminology I'd use.

But yeah, I'll be there.



+1 on the "beveraging session"

damn. won't be back to americaland til mid April so I'll miss the "beveraging session". have fun, though!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm

bbermud wrote:
smiller1 wrote:
Also created an event for an ASW beveraging session for Thursday night


Ha, I'm going to start using the term "beveraging session." It sounds way classier than the drinking terminology I'd use.

But yeah, I'll be there.



+1 on the "beveraging session"

damn. won't be back to americaland til mid April so I'll miss the "beveraging session". have fun, though!


We'll all have an extra one every 15 minutes for you!

User avatar
skirschner1
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby skirschner1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Good job on the fbook group. Just joined it

User avatar
smiller1
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby smiller1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Anyone here planning on doing 0L prep before classes begin in August? I'm midway through Law School Confidential now (some parts helpful, though a little apprehensive about the highlighter technique for briefs.) Getting To Maybe next.

So, what, if anything, are others doing to prep?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 pm

smiller1 wrote:Anyone here planning on doing 0L prep before classes begin in August? I'm midway through Law School Confidential now (some parts helpful, though a little apprehensive about the highlighter technique for briefs.) Getting To Maybe next.

So, what, if anything, are others doing to prep?


This
http://lawschoolninjabook.com/

And a boot camp the adjunct professor has every year. I think it is in may or june right when school is done.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm

smiller1 wrote:Anyone here planning on doing 0L prep before classes begin in August? I'm midway through Law School Confidential now (some parts helpful, though a little apprehensive about the highlighter technique for briefs.) Getting To Maybe next.

So, what, if anything, are others doing to prep?



Can you share some details on the 0L prep class? What's the exact day it starts, cost, etc. Or just a place I can go to get more details. I was planning on being out of the country in early august but i may have to cut my trip short :( Thank you.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:08 pm

smiller1 wrote:Anyone here planning on doing 0L prep before classes begin in August? I'm midway through Law School Confidential now (some parts helpful, though a little apprehensive about the highlighter technique for briefs.) Getting To Maybe next.

So, what, if anything, are others doing to prep?


Are you kidding me? GTFO. Relax, have a good time, and worry about law school when you get there this fall. University of Iowa is HIGHLY anti-gunner. If you don't know how to to have fun, you're not going to fit in.

Ok, I will probably ready a paperback or two such at Getting to Maybe. But please, everyone, don't do a summer prep course or any of the other poppycock like this. Waste of time and money.

User avatar
skirschner1
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby skirschner1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm reading 1L of a ride right now. Very easy to get through quickly. Also bought the LEEWS cd set but I haven't listened to it yet. Planning on reading GTM before school. Sorry for the short choppy sentences I'm at work haha

User avatar
smiller1
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby smiller1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:07 pm

University of Iowa is HIGHLY anti-gunner. If you don't know how to to have fun, you're not going to fit in.


I went to the University of Iowa for undergrad, and though I definitely agree that UI Law will most likely be less competitive than other similarly ranked schools, at the same time the party culture could get one off to a poor start if they don't know what they're getting into law school-wise. I admittedly don't know what I'm getting into to (none of us 0L's do) so I think picking up a few books can't hurt (though I agree that the classes seem like a waste of money.) Also, I don't think being a "gunner" and knowing how to have fun is by any means mutually exclusive. I plan on doing both, though I of course anticipate much more work than play my first year. I'm mostly picking up books to try to figure out now what might take me a semester to realize -- I don't want to be in a situation where I'm telling myself "if I knew then what I know now..."

To each their own though. The fact that the people on this board actually take the time to go on a law school forum shows that we care more (read: are nerdier) than the average OL, so I bet we'll all do fine. :)
Last edited by smiller1 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10 pm

smiller1 wrote:
University of Iowa is HIGHLY anti-gunner. If you don't know how to to have fun, you're not going to fit in.


I went to the University of Iowa for undergrad, and though I definitely agree that UI Law will most likely be less competitive than other similarly ranked schools, at the same time the party culture could get one off to a poor start if they don't know what they're getting into law school-wise. I admittedly don't know what I'm getting into to (none of us 0L's do) so I think picking up a few books can't hurt (though I agree that the classes seem like a waste of money.) Also, I don't think being a "gunner" and knowing how to have fun is by any means mutually exclusive. I plan on doing both, though I of course anticipate much more work than play my first year. I'm mostly picking up books to try to figure out now what might take me a semester to realize -- I don't want to be in a situation where I'm telling myself "if I knew then what I know now..."

To each there own though. The fact that the people on this board actually take the time to go on a law school forum shows that we care more (read: are nerdier) than the average OL, so I bet we'll all do fine. :)


+1

the mason nixon line
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby the mason nixon line » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:50 pm

I've just finished working my way through Getting to Maybe... I'd say it was worthwhile (but then again, I've never taken a law school exam so how would I know?)

On page 283 it has a list of 'the classics' - i.e. study aids that are actually reliable, which has me toying with the idea of reading one or two of these lengthy tomes before the fall semester starts. Top 1/3 is probably difficult to maintain at a quality school like Iowa.

jam88
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby jam88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I probably won't, but I took 4 law classes as an undergrad. Not saying they were exactly the same as normal law classes, but they probably were similar because one was offered in conjunction with my undergrads law school. Its not that bad, the Socratic method can be fun.

smiller1 wrote:Anyone here planning on doing 0L prep before classes begin in August? I'm midway through Law School Confidential now (some parts helpful, though a little apprehensive about the highlighter technique for briefs.) Getting To Maybe next.

So, what, if anything, are others doing to prep?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

the mason nixon line wrote:I've just finished working my way through Getting to Maybe... I'd say it was worthwhile (but then again, I've never taken a law school exam so how would I know?)

On page 283 it has a list of 'the classics' - i.e. study aids that are actually reliable, which has me toying with the idea of reading one or two of these lengthy tomes before the fall semester starts. Top 1/3 is probably difficult to maintain at a quality school like Iowa.


No. Stop. You're doing it wrong.

They are called study aids for a reason. You will gain nothing by reading them before the semester starts.

legallyblonde:)
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby legallyblonde:) » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Everybody calm down! To each his own. I've never even heard of people taking classes to prepare for law school so I'm going to pretend I didn't read about it and stay blissfully ignorant. I did read 1L because someone gave it to me for Christmas but wouldn't consider that prep. I've been keeping up with the posts but haven't really posted myself but here's what's up with me!!

In State
Iowa undergrad
Hawkeyes or die
162/3.84 75% tution Merit scholarship

Can't wait for another 3 years in IC but I'm sure it will be filled with a lot less beer and a lot more books than undergrad...
Might still need a roommate and want to be on the west side as close to Kinnick as possible. If I get in any beverage sessions next year it will be tailgating and watching my Hawks.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

legallyblonde:) wrote:Everybody calm down! To each his own. I've never even heard of people taking classes to prepare for law school so I'm going to pretend I didn't read about it and stay blissfully ignorant. I did read 1L because someone gave it to me for Christmas but wouldn't consider that prep. I've been keeping up with the posts but haven't really posted myself but here's what's up with me!!

In State
Iowa undergrad
Hawkeyes or die
162/3.84 75% tution Merit scholarship

Can't wait for another 3 years in IC but I'm sure it will be filled with a lot less beer and a lot more books than undergrad...
Might still need a roommate and want to be on the west side as close to Kinnick as possible. If I get in any beverage sessions next year it will be tailgating and watching my Hawks.


Didn't realize anyone was worked up :-)

Question about football... Do you know if it's difficult for grad students to get season tickets?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:
legallyblonde:) wrote:Everybody calm down! To each his own. I've never even heard of people taking classes to prepare for law school so I'm going to pretend I didn't read about it and stay blissfully ignorant. I did read 1L because someone gave it to me for Christmas but wouldn't consider that prep. I've been keeping up with the posts but haven't really posted myself but here's what's up with me!!

In State
Iowa undergrad
Hawkeyes or die
162/3.84 75% tution Merit scholarship

Can't wait for another 3 years in IC but I'm sure it will be filled with a lot less beer and a lot more books than undergrad...
Might still need a roommate and want to be on the west side as close to Kinnick as possible. If I get in any beverage sessions next year it will be tailgating and watching my Hawks.


Didn't realize anyone was worked up :-)

Question about football... Do you know if it's difficult for grad students to get season tickets?


No one is worked up. But law school is an arms race. The gunners set the pace.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:22 am

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
legallyblonde:) wrote:Everybody calm down! To each his own. I've never even heard of people taking classes to prepare for law school so I'm going to pretend I didn't read about it and stay blissfully ignorant. I did read 1L because someone gave it to me for Christmas but wouldn't consider that prep. I've been keeping up with the posts but haven't really posted myself but here's what's up with me!!

In State
Iowa undergrad
Hawkeyes or die
162/3.84 75% tution Merit scholarship

Can't wait for another 3 years in IC but I'm sure it will be filled with a lot less beer and a lot more books than undergrad...
Might still need a roommate and want to be on the west side as close to Kinnick as possible. If I get in any beverage sessions next year it will be tailgating and watching my Hawks.


Didn't realize anyone was worked up :-)

Question about football... Do you know if it's difficult for grad students to get season tickets?


No one is worked up. But law school is an arms race. The gunners set the pace.


Uhh... disagree. Several people here in the top 5% that didn't do any 0L prep and worked maybe 40-50 hours a week including class.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
legallyblonde:) wrote:Everybody calm down! To each his own. I've never even heard of people taking classes to prepare for law school so I'm going to pretend I didn't read about it and stay blissfully ignorant. I did read 1L because someone gave it to me for Christmas but wouldn't consider that prep. I've been keeping up with the posts but haven't really posted myself but here's what's up with me!!

In State
Iowa undergrad
Hawkeyes or die
162/3.84 75% tution Merit scholarship

Can't wait for another 3 years in IC but I'm sure it will be filled with a lot less beer and a lot more books than undergrad...
Might still need a roommate and want to be on the west side as close to Kinnick as possible. If I get in any beverage sessions next year it will be tailgating and watching my Hawks.


Didn't realize anyone was worked up :-)

Question about football... Do you know if it's difficult for grad students to get season tickets?


No one is worked up. But law school is an arms race. The gunners set the pace.


Uhh... disagree. Several people here in the top 5% that didn't do any 0L prep and worked maybe 40-50 hours a week including class.



Spending 7 hours a day outside of class on school work would most likely classify someone as a gunner, so yes gunners set the pace. From what I've heard from 2/3L's the average students put in around 4-6 hours on schooldays outside of class and little on the weekends outside of legal writing assignments.

Don't do 0L prep if you don't want. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going into 1L year knowing other people had a start on their coursework/outlines/exams. Plus, I can slog through some stuff this summer while I'm working at a firm doing grunt work.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 am

0L's make me lol. Prepping is not going to help you.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 am

hawkeye22 wrote:0L's make me lol. Prepping is not going to help you.


Care to disclose your grades? You sound a little jaded.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:0L's make me lol. Prepping is not going to help you.


TITCR. I'm quite positive that any of us heading to IC this fall can handle getting good grades just by working during the semester. No pre-prep required.

legallyblonde:)
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby legallyblonde:) » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 pm

From what I hear it is just as easy to get football tickets as undergrads. You need your hawkID and UI email to order if I remember correctly, so as soon as you get set up I would order!


chrisbru wrote:
legallyblonde:) wrote:Everybody calm down! To each his own. I've never even heard of people taking classes to prepare for law school so I'm going to pretend I didn't read about it and stay blissfully ignorant. I did read 1L because someone gave it to me for Christmas but wouldn't consider that prep. I've been keeping up with the posts but haven't really posted myself but here's what's up with me!!

In State
Iowa undergrad
Hawkeyes or die
162/3.84 75% tution Merit scholarship

Can't wait for another 3 years in IC but I'm sure it will be filled with a lot less beer and a lot more books than undergrad...
Might still need a roommate and want to be on the west side as close to Kinnick as possible. If I get in any beverage sessions next year it will be tailgating and watching my Hawks.


Didn't realize anyone was worked up :-)

Question about football... Do you know if it's difficult for grad students to get season tickets?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa Class of 2014

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:57 pm

legallyblonde:) wrote:From what I hear it is just as easy to get football tickets as undergrads. You need your hawkID and UI email to order if I remember correctly, so as soon as you get set up I would order!



Hm... There aren't "buddy" tickets or anything, right? My SO will be living with me but not going to school at Iowa... Need to figure this out. Football tickets = priority 2 (right behind finding a place to live!)




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest