UNC Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
DeeCee

Re: UNC Class of 2014

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:41 pm

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote:It's a little early, but not creepy. You have to see people and talk to them in person to know if you can be roommates with them......I mean what if the roommate referral svc gives you an asshole of a roommate?

I only said it was creepy because of the word "scoping".. I imagined myself hiding in the bushes and checking people out with one of those submarine looker-around things.
^^ :shock: ^^ (<-- this is me scoping like a creeper from the best a keyboard can do at bushes)

The roommate referral service doesn't assign you a roommate. You send in a pretty basic form (do you smoke, are you willing to live with pets, etc.) and they send you emails with names of people whose forms are compatible with yours, and then you contact them on your own. That's how I understand it, anyway. I don't think it's early at all -- I feel like the longer we wait, the fewer places will be left that haven't already been leased. Not to mention that I won't be available to meet anyone from May 22 to June 28 except through Skype.

Well that's good. I've had quite a few friends who have done this roommate match-up thing for the dorms. It didn't work out too well for them, as some people seem to answer the questions dishonestly, which I don't understand.

You're right about the lease thing, I didn't think about it like that. I'll prob check out a couple places while I'm in town at the ASD. My BF is going to come with me (but not to the ASD), and we're going to check things out around town. We'll have to bring our two doggies because we don't want to board them, which will be a pain, but my BF will be there to watch them.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
beccabea wrote:Not to mention that I won't be available to meet anyone from May 22 to June 28 except through Skype.

Creepy.

:lol:

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
beccabea wrote:Not to mention that I won't be available to meet anyone from May 22 to June 28 except through Skype.

Creepy.

Haha, I'm going to be in Europe *brag*

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:13 pm

On the subject of where to live---
To people coming from out of the area, I really have to hype living in Carrboro or around the area of Davie Circle (google maps it).

If I go to Carolina I'd probably go for a studio/something like it somewhere residential with good transportation to the law school. But Davie Circle is easily walkable/bikeable. Currently it takes me about 20 minutes to walk to classes from my house but to the law school it'd be about 30, which isn't ideal. I'm looking into alternative options for where I could park a car around the campus. The big pro to living in Carrboro, though, is that life is pretty great here. Fun music scene, taco trucks are a booming business, dive bars, etc.

If you want to live in an apartment complex, people who live in them seem to be very happy and I think they're a great option. I like having (read: renting) my own land so I can compost/garden a bit and not worrying about practicing violin/piano too loudly.

I know how stressful trying to find a house as opposed to a complex is when you're not familiar with the area (I'm trying to figure that out with LA and it's kind of a nightmare) so my advice is to look up google maps and familiarize yourself with the streets around the law school, then bring up a word doc and write down the streets you think look good... then browse chapelhillrent.com / louise beck / craigslist to see if those streets pop up. That might sound really obvious but it helped me to know to do that.

Let me know if I can help anybody from not around here figure stuff out! Haha I'm still not sure where I'm going but I love all my heels. And my house hosts couch surfers - if you're coming in for an ASW and want to save some $$ feel free to PM me.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:04 am

I need some decompression time ITT or something.... my thesis is stressing me out! I hate graphs! lol. And nothing interesting is going on in the lounge.

sorry, /rant.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Can anyone tell me if their fin aid packages have shown up on the MyUNC portal or ConnectCarolina or whatever? Or if their deposits have shown up anywhere? I'm kind of confused about this because we used the Banner system at the other schools I attended, so I'm figuring out how to use it

skw

Postby skw » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:09 pm

For my deposit, I received an auto-reply email when I submitted it via the 'pay deposit portal' and a confirmation email from the admissions team about a week later. The confirmation was somewhat more specific than the auto-response and indicated that my seat is now reserved. I haven't logged onto any of the other portals at Carolina to double check that the deposit is official -- I figure that the 2 emails and the fact that my check cleared the bank are sufficient.

pastelito

Postby pastelito » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
PDL wrote:Fairly certain I'll be attending Carolina in the fall, and finished up undergrad there in 2009. Anyone got any questions about Chapel Hill in general, feel free to ask.

Where are the best places to live, housing wise?

I would like to know this as well, furnished apartments in particular.

According to the TLS profile of UNC it says Chapel Ridge is a good option for furnished apartments, but I want to know if this is in fact true or not from students who go to UNC.

Hello! I went to UNC undergrad and in my opinion Chapel Ridge is a good apartment complex, fully furnished. However, it is very much dominated by the undergrad students and not where my graduate kids live. From what I've seen most grad students live on the other side of the law school near "54 rd." So names like Glenn Lennox, Meadowmont, Finley Forest are all apts/condos/cottages to look at. The problem with UNC is that there are not many apartment complex options which are also furnished. UNC is older so kids rent out houses together and such. Hope this helps!

protein

Postby protein » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 am

Thought I'd chime in on this too, since I've been in the area for like 10 years

Chapel Ridge isn't a great place for grad students, too much noise + undergrads. There's a basketball court that's constantly being used (aka disrupting your studying), a volleyball court that also gets a lot of use in the spring/summer, and a tennis court. It's also relatively far away from the school (10 minute drive to campus, then another 20 minute walk from wherever you're lucky enough to find parking)

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 am

http://dukechronicle.com/article/open-l ... rie-irving

Just spent a couple minutes reading this. All the stereotypes I have about Duke kids have been totally reinforced.
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:http://dukechronicle.com/article/open-letter-kyrie-irving

Just spent a couple minutes reading this. All the stereotypes I have about Duke kids have been totally re-inforced.

for real....what is this I don't even

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 am

DeeCee wrote:

Just spent a couple minutes reading this. All the stereotypes I have about Duke kids have been totally reinforced.

It's pretty clearly satire but it is just so over the top and entitled that the only word that really feels right is douchy. Suits a dukie well.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:31 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

It's pretty clearly satire but it is just so over the top and entitled that the only word that really feels right is douchy. Suits a dukie well.

+1. For some reason it just comes off a little slimy to me but I can't pinpoint it exactly.... I guess the feeling would be entitlement like you say

tvt86

Postby tvt86 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:47 am

Folks, is there anything in the admission letter/packet that I need to have or need to read? I got my acceptance email a couple of weeks ago and was told the letter was in the mail, but I still don't have it. If there's nothing important in it then I'm not going to disturb the admissions office to chase it up. Thanks!

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 am

Put down my 1st seat deposit yesterday. See everyone at ASD on Friday!

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 pm

tvt86 wrote:Folks, is there anything in the admission letter/packet that I need to have or need to read? I got my acceptance email a couple of weeks ago and was told the letter was in the mail, but I still don't have it. If there's nothing important in it then I'm not going to disturb the admissions office to chase it up. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the only extra information that the paper letter had that the original acceptance email didn't was information about when deposits were due.

borntorun86 wrote:Put down my 1st seat deposit yesterday. See everyone at ASD on Friday!

I'm excited about Friday! I've been looking forward to this for a while now. I'm heading down tomorrow night and sleeping on a friend's couch. Are the TLSers going to try to recognize each other and go out for drinks or something?

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Posting in here since I'll be at ASD on Friday the 8th and am deciding between UNC and one other school. I live in Chapel Hill now so feel free to ask any questions. See you all Friday.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm stealing Moral's idea here, but what do you guys going to the ASD say to putting a little T on your nametag so people from TLS can pick each other out?

skw

Postby skw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Great idea Becca. I'm in. See you guys Friday.

skw

Postby skw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 pm

beccabea wrote:I'm stealing Moral's idea here, but what do you guys going to the ASD say to putting a little T on your nametag so people from TLS can pick each other out?

Also, what happened to your Avatar? I kind of miss the little guy.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

beccabea wrote:I'm stealing Moral's idea here, but what do you guys going to the ASD say to putting a little T on your nametag so people from TLS can pick each other out?

Uppercase or lowercase??? Serif or sans serif???

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:

Uppercase, comic sans, size 14, in the upper left corner, Scruffs. As if there's any other way to do it.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 am

beccabea wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:

Uppercase, comic sans, size 14, in the upper left corner, Scruffs. As if there's any other way to do it.

So are you guy doing this? Or should there be a different way, like meeting up somewhere?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 am

So are you guys doing this? Or should there be a different way, like meeting up somewhere?

Sry if this is coming out weird, I'm on my phone typing

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 am

DeeCee wrote:So are you guys doing this? Or should there be a different way, like meeting up somewhere?

Sry if this is coming out weird, I'm on my phone typing

We could do both. I don't want to walk around all day staring at people's chests for fear of missing a T on a nametag, but it would be nice if I spotted someone during the day. According to the agenda on the admitted students site, the wrap-up ends at 3:15. How about heading out to the patio after that? Unless there's a thunder storm going on, like it says in the forecast. Then, um.. rain location: outside the locker room. Unless someone can think of something better, I'm just scraping the bottom of the barrel for places I remember from when I visited.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”