UNC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
borntorun86

Bronze

Re: UNC Class of 2014

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:43 pm

beccabea wrote: EDIT: Wow, I realized upon re-reading this that asking for photo evidence in the same sentence as "that can attest to your being able to aim properly" could sound like I'm asking for pictures of.. of you actually aiming and.. and that's totally not what I meant. I'd actually rather not have pictures of that. I meant pictures of a clean, not-covered-in-dried-pee bathroom.

:oops:
Hahaha, WIN.

Seriously, the only thing keeping me from living in Glenn Lennox is its relative distance from Franklin St. Other than that, it's a great place to live, particularly if you have a dog that likes to be outside (lots of trees, squirrels, etc).

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Where are you living, then?

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm staying at my current bungalow apt. in Carrboro (with my best friend from college). I was very grateful for this location when walking home from Goodfellows at 3 in the morning last night.

By the way:
--ImageRemoved--

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I can't see that, it's just a little icon :[

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:07 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Europe for a month! Hopefully to be densely packed with photography and sweet hiking trails. Then a week at the beach with my family. Then.. probably sitting around like a bag of lard on the couch for a few weeks trying to talk myself into doing something productive (but mostly watching youtube videos and Glee reruns over and over). Then moving into Chapel Hill a few weeks early to start hanging out with people and getting used to living somewhere awesome.

Now that borntorun pointed out to me how far away Glen Lennox is from Franklin St, I'm having to rethink this. How would I get back and forth late at night? Is there a bus that runs between the two? Would I have to pay for a cab every time? Would I have to stay sober enough to drive? Is there any place to live that's convenient to both Franklin St and the law school that's not super-expensive/packed with undergrads?

What kind of on-campus housing is available for grad students?

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I give you the Safe Ride G... not the most convenient thing in the world, but if you plan your night accordingly it will get you back. I've ridden it a few times to stay with a buddy at Finley Forest.

--LinkRemoved--

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:21 pm

PDL wrote:What's everyone planning on doing this summer?

I'm probably going to continue working until mid-late July, and then take a month to kick it at the beach/get re-aquainted with Chapel Hill.
Finishing my MA thesis by June 1. Then, hiking it up in WNC until I move, traveling to two weddings in Wilmington, lounging on Kure at a yearly family get together, staying at Bald Head at my friend's place for a week, packing my beast of an apartment, and (finally) moving to CH Aug 1. I would love to get a road trip on too but I'm not sure if I'll have the money or time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailykosak

New

Post by dailykosak » Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi to all you future tarheels and an early welcome to UNC if you haven't already gotten one. I am finishing up my 1L year and am moving, which means that it is time to sort through the bookshelves and whittle down my possessions. I have a boatload of 1L supplements, mostly E&Es that I would be happy to pass on to an incoming UNC 1L. Not asking an arm and a leg, so let me know if there are any you want and we can work something out. Specifically, I've got:

Criminal Law E&E
Understanding Property Law (Lexus, a good guide)
Glannon's Guide Civ Pro
E&E Civ Pro
Contracts E&E
Torts E&E
Con Law caseguide (free to a good home)
Getting to Maybe
Reading Like a Lawyer
Law School Confidential
a couple of comprehensive commercial outlines for all of the 1L subjects

If you have Saver for Torts, Wegner for Property, Marshall for Civ Pro or Nichol for con law I have the texts that we used this year, you may be using the same books. Let me know when you find out your book assignment and I will beat student stores and Amazon.

Congrats to all of you who will be coming this fall.... even in the middle of exams I can te3ll you that UNC-law is fantastic. It'll work your ass off, but it's fantastic. Take care.

JDCsoccer7

New

Post by JDCsoccer7 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:25 pm

I am working where I'm at till the beginning of July, then hopefully moving down to chapel hill and going on a 10 day cruise before classes start!

laughingberries

New

Post by laughingberries » Mon May 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Congrats to all the incoming 1Ls!

I'm a rising 2L at Carolina and plan on staying in the townhouse I'm living in, but do have two rooms that just opened up at the last minute due to unexpected life changes for my roommates. If any of you are interested in the rooms, PM me.

I just copied and pasted the rental ad we had up...

The townhouse is 3 stories with 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths. The first room available is on the top floor, has a large closet, easy access to the washer and dryer (also on the top floor), and shares a bathroom with one other girl. This room is small, but a great deal, especially considering the amenities this house has to offer. The other bedroom is the master suite; its an extremely large bedroom with ceiling fan, cable installed, garden tub, double sinks, and two large walk in closets. The townhouse has very large dining, kitchen, and living room areas on the middle floor that all have beautiful hardwood flooring. The house is equipped with a gas fireplace in the living room, all stainless steel appliances in the kitchen including a fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and garbage disposal.

The rent for the small room is $410 per month plus utilities that typically run ~$75-90 per month depending on the time of year and include satellite (DVR, HBO, Showtime, Starz), wireless internet, electricity, gas, and water. The rent for the second room is $615 per month, plus utilities. The townhouse is located less than 2 miles from UNC campus and is on the NS, T, and A buslines.

kTXe

New

Post by kTXe » Wed May 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I have held out hope that somehow, someway, a little scholarship money would come my way as some is freed up by withdrawls. If I have made it clear that I will be attending UNC this fall (paid both seat deposits, joined Class of '14 Facebook group), do you think this will hurt my chances? I wouldn't be surprised if the admissions office would rather make scholly offers to qualified applicants that may be on the fence, instead of people that have already committed to UNC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tvt86

New

Post by tvt86 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if money opens up, the admissions office have said that ONLY those who have paid their seat deposits (or at least one of them) will be eligible to receive scholarships. So you're good.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Wed May 04, 2011 5:42 pm

I'm under the impression that they like testing people's fidelity to Carolina and rewarding the ones who pass. Then again, maybe this impression is because I've been studying 9th-century Anglo-Saxon battle stories all day and I'm starting to go mad. :shock:

JDCsoccer7

New

Post by JDCsoccer7 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I just called today and the person i spoke with said they're still about a week or two from looking at giving out a little more money to deposited students, but that there is still that chance. Also, they made the Facebook group!? Someone send me a link...

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Wed May 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I think that person was speaking theoretically? The Facebook group isn't supposed to go up until after the second deposit is due.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Wed May 04, 2011 7:58 pm

The Facebook group is up and Jennifer Kott sends an invite after they get your 2nd deposit. At least that was my experience. The group is private, so you have to be 'accepted' to join. I believe Jennifer handles this aspect of the group as well.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Wed May 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Yes, the group is up. I paid both deposits so there may be truth to the idea that you need to have paid both to get the invite.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Wed May 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Are you cereal? I've finally been punished for my spending-more-money-at-once-than-is-necessary-aphobia. :(

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm

I don't know if I'm ready for Jennifer Kott to see what I post on facebook yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Thu May 05, 2011 1:56 am

Unless I'm mistaken as to how the privacy settings and things are set up (especially since facebook changes like 5 times a year now), joining a group does not give anyone access to your profile. As long as it's restricted to just friends, a person will still have to friend request you to see what you post on your own profile.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu May 05, 2011 2:14 am

That's good, because Moral posts horrible, offensive things. They would definitely kick him out if they knew.
8)

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 am

fish tacos wrote:Unless I'm mistaken as to how the privacy settings and things are set up (especially since facebook changes like 5 times a year now), joining a group does not give anyone access to your profile. As long as it's restricted to just friends, a person will still have to friend request you to see what you post on your own profile.
That's cool, I didn't know this. Not that I ever post anything offensive on FB (my Grandma's on there so my profile is family friendly), but I felt uneasy about just giving my profile to admissions to view. Mainly because I feel that I am trying to be professional with the school, but obviously I want to be friends with classmates. I'm go ahead and join.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm

So how long between paying the second deposit and getting the Facebook invite?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”